Author Topic: The Fields of Anfield Road - A History of the Song.  (Read 7933 times)

Offline Sevens and Eights

• Main Stander
  • Football is my oxygen.
Re: The Fields of Anfield Road - A History of the Song.
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2017, 02:27:39 am »
The lad that wrote Fields of Anfield Road is in this documentary-- Liverpool's Sound: Kop chants and their origins-- and he discusses how it all came about.

Watch on LFCTV, LFCTVGO, and it's on demand now.
LOVED that docu, I just wish they had downloads for them, I like collecting film on the history of Liverpool to put on my home media server. It’s hard to find mostly.

Online NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2021, 06:08:33 am »
Beautiful song. Irish fans are great!! Love the narrative about fictional man named Michael from near Athenry in County Galway...  :)  :)
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2021, 01:28:49 pm »
I remember gettin a bit of jip when we played Celtic at their place. I was right in the middle of their end on me todd and had me scarf with me. Fellas around me were sound but a few (not too serious) comments from behind me had the radar on alert.  Then one of the fellas next to me turned round to them and said. "Leave the lad alone, he's just here to support his team. And he's just sang all the words to Fields Of Athenry which is probably more than you fuckers know"   Little did he know   ;) ;)

Mid you, he wasnt so happy when I was bouncing all over the place when McManaman scored   ;D ;D

I was at Celtic when they put the testimonial on for us after Hillsborough, there was no segregation. They didn't like it when we got to the main chorus of Poor Scouser Tommy. Don't think anybody had given much thought to the tune it came from. But I've heard that it was sang for the first time when we played them in the CWC in 66, we only had the "Oh I am a Liverpudian, and I come from the Spion Kop" part, and it was done to wind them up. After that, bit by bit, was added.

But back to topic. Have met the Irish lad who started our version of fields. Not my favourite song (older the better for me), but wouldn't tell him that - he'd fuckin twat yer.

Surprised so many haven't heard of Fields of Athenry, and know what it's about. Maybe it's cos I'm Scouse and 50% Irish like Serge says. Never heard the Dubliners? Never been to Flannigans?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 01:32:51 pm by Billy Elliot »
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!