Author Topic: Jermaine Pennant  (Read 72923 times)

Offline Greg

• RAWK Statto
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.twitter.com/@paintbox_
Re: Jermaine Pennant
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2009, 04:09:29 pm »
why is rawk such a complicated place?
Cos people don't know how to articulate themselves properly and a lot of time is wasted in the miscommunication.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2009, 04:14:55 pm »
Poor, poor buy. For a manager as meticulous as Rafa, I'm surprised he wasn't put off by the player's background and character - even with the lack of money and wing options available to him. The lad was always a waster.

I sort of agree.  I hear what you're saying Greg regarding Bellamy, but I think Bellamy had a lot more going for him both in terms of ability and actual club level achievements than Pennant did.  For £7m it always looked like we overpaid, but he paid most of that off against Chelsea with that goal.

Offline Bobilino

• Obvious troll.
  • Main Stander
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2009, 04:16:06 pm »
Bellamy had a similar character profile to Pennant though, was it a mistake to buy him as well?

Obviously. He was sold the next summer. That's a 'mistake' in anyone's book, despite the fact that I thought Rafa could have made better use of him.

I'm not sure he was a similar character to Pennant anyway. Pennant's demons seemed to be of a personal nature, often causing him to turn to the bottle. Bellamy was just an annoying little runt on the pitch, mainly through a fierce will to win.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2009, 04:39:58 pm »
Dogshite gobshite, and that's a fact

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2009, 04:40:48 pm »
Insignificant little prick, hope he has a shit season in Spain.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:36 pm »
it was meant to be sarcasm btw..
thanks for explaining
but your post, the 'now that's patronising' post, wasn't sarcastic. I don't know what it was, but I know sarcasm when I see it typed (usually) and that was not sarcasm.

You really aren't having a good day are you?
I'm not trying to be insulting, but that comment really strikes me as ignorant.

When Rafa arrived, apart from Gerrard and Sami/Carra, who was any good? Almost the whole team needed replacing, and on a budget of approx £10m per year. Rafa had a strategy of buying players who wouldn't win the Premier League but would do a job and he could make a profit on, which is why I grouped Bellamy, Crouch and Pennant together.

We paid over the odds on Pennant, Rafa admitted it at the time, but we needed a right winger and not many were available. The only 'fault', if you can call it that, that Rafa made is thinking Pennant would agree to be sold rather than sit on the bench and wind his contract down.

It really is gauling that people don't appreciate how shrewd Rafa has been to get us where we are. Do you really think he'd rather buy Pennant than better wingers if he had the money?
Indeed, we don't even need to speculate, because we know that his main target was Alves, Pennant was only signed after our board, in all it's infinite wisdom, thought £12million was an insane fee for the most promising right sided player in the world bar Ronaldo at that time, sold a mere 2 seasons later for a paltry triple that amount.

That's the thing for me - Rafa's transfer record as it stands competes very well with that of his rivals. Sure, Wenger beats him for profit but I don't think anyone has made much better signings in terms of consistent quality - yet unlike his rivals Rafa's conistently operated with one hand tied behind his back, never having the final say of how to split the budget (even though it's his team, and we lured him from Valencia on a promise to not do what we, in fact, did in terms of transfer control), never having the full backing of the board behind his judgement.

Take that into account and his record is beyond reproach.

Oh, and Pennant's a fool - him and Keane are like peas in a pod, pair of selfish, whining gits with a capacity for honest self-assesment dwarfed by the average politician.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2009, 04:55:41 pm »
but your post, the 'now that's patronising' post, wasn't sarcastic. I don't know what it was, but I know sarcasm when I see it typed (usually) and that was not sarcasm.

You really aren't having a good day are you?

my days fine thank you, though like any other day it can always be better..

White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline GonzalezIsARed

• Most prickless poster ever
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »
Disappointed in him.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2009, 05:03:49 pm »
"Rafa didn't have confidence in me. I'd playone week, then I'd be out of the team and think 'hold on a minute -last week I scored one and made two. How does that work?'

Haha, fucking hell. How often did that happen? Once?

"My assets are pace, going past players and crossing. I don't think anyone in that squad crosses the ball as well as me."

I can't be the only one that thinks he can't cross for shit? Yet whenever anyone describes this pleb's better attributes crossing always comes up. Why?

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2009, 05:08:25 pm »
im sure we didnt really pay £6.7mill for him in the end, its all made up of add-ons etc right? given the amount of games/starts he had im sure it would be closer to £4mill than the £6.7mil.

had a soft spot for jermaine.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2009, 05:08:37 pm »
I can't be the only one that thinks he can't cross for shit? Yet whenever anyone describes this pleb's better attributes crossing always comes up. Why?
He can cross.  He can cross long, like N'gog's dong, well beyond the back post and high, like a soft and fluffy bird in the sky.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2009, 05:10:15 pm »

You missed the worst part. He said that his crossing's better than anyone in the England squad's

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2009, 05:19:11 pm »

Never.

He scored 1 goal in 3 different games.

The only game that there were 2 other LFC goals was against Newcastle (3-0).  Apart from the fact that his goal was a lucky rebound, he didnt have assists for the other 2.

He scored against Chelsea (2-0), but didnt have an assist for Kuyt's opener.

He can only mean Fulham (2-0), one goal and one assist.

Problem is that the reason he was playing was that the major players were being rested ahead of the CL semi (first leg vs Chelsea).  So it can hardly have been a surprise that he wasnt pickd for that.  He did start the next PL game.

Offline Jack Slater

• The hard hitting Detective with a drink problem and an eye for the ladies
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2009, 05:22:58 pm »
You missed the worst part. He said that his crossing's better than anyone in the England squad's

Oh, I'm sure he'd fit in nicely to a Capello side.

I dont think Fabio will give any of those pesky instructions that nasty Rafa confused him with.   I think Capello just says "Go out and show them what you can do, son"

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2009, 05:35:56 pm »

To be honest I always thought he was a good crosser, needed a bit more whip at times but too much was made of this they were still effective.

However that comment is still a load of bollocks, Gerrard and Johnson are both better crossers for a start.  Then there's that Beckham chap who is meant to put a good ball in.

Not sure why but I always expected Pennant to reach a new level under Rafa and prove to be a real asset for us, now there can be no doubt of the obstacle that was always going to prevent this - his attitude.

Offline PaisleyPrint

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2009, 07:04:13 pm »
Is this the same Pennant who turned up for training with no laces for his footie boots?

Offline syllogism

• cannot compute rawk user help will destruct help bleep
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2009, 08:04:55 am »
I kind of feel sorry for Pennant. Even amongst footballers he stands out as just not smart enough. Read between the lines of what he said about Benitez, and it's clear that the problem was he couldn't understand what Benitez wanted --- it didn't make sense to him. Because he's just not smart enough. And then I think back to that stuff about his dad and all, and it's hard to feel anything but pity for him. Hopefully he can do okay in a simpler set up.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2009, 04:10:57 pm »
I kind of feel sorry for Pennant.  Hopefully he can do okay in a simpler set up.

Playing in a foreign country and needing to learn the language is not going to be easier for the prick..

The man is delusional.
Maybe his agent and his hanger on yes men have been talking this bollocks to him?

He should be thankful.
We made him a millionaire over night and he was shite.

Capello wouldn't have him mowing the wembley turf.

I was surprised we bought him and knew it was going to be a failure.
And his crossing - he never looks up.
A quality winger will look up and cross.
Pennant just hits it into an area.

Regarding Bellamy - I would have kept him myself.
Not a fantastic season, but it wasn't a disaster.
I think he is better than Keane (for hhalf the price) and he would have been a good understudy to Torres, but we had Crouch at that time.

I often wonder if Benitez sells the likes of Bellamy because he needs to raise funds or because he thinks they've reached their expiry date.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2009, 05:58:17 pm »
^^^

Fair point about Bellamy, I've wondered that myself. One thing Rafa's never had is the luxury of hanging on to players who could bring in significant fees in the hope that they come good. Look at the mancs, Nani and Anderson have done very little to justify the money paid for them for two seasons now. Ok, arguably Anderson has been pretty solid, but no way Rafa could afford to have someone like Nani underperforming constantly, and let his value drop for season after season in the hope he makes it. Same with Chelsea.

By no means all of them, but I think there's some he would have kept, players like (but not definitely, if you see what I mean) Gonzalez, Crouch (who we may have been able to keep if we could have offered the kind of wages Mancs/Chelsea can, Keane, Sissoko...).

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:11 pm »
A bit unfair there. Lucas and Babel are our equivalents to Anderson and Nani.
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2009, 06:15:09 pm »
A bit unfair there. Lucas and Babel are our equivalents to Anderson and Nani.
Only the pair of them combined cost less than Nani did. Lucas certainly has been well worth £5.5million, and we'd at least make that money back if we sold him. Arr, maybe your right though - bad examples perhaps, but I think the central point I was making is pretty fair.

Offline WeSeeThings....

• Kemlynite
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2009, 07:01:25 pm »
You touched my heart Jermaine, I am never saying it again.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2009, 08:09:18 pm »
^^^

Fair point about Bellamy, I've wondered that myself. One thing Rafa's never had is the luxury of hanging on to players who could bring in significant fees in the hope that they come good. Look at the mancs, Nani and Anderson have done very little to justify the money paid for them for two seasons now. Ok, arguably Anderson has been pretty solid, but no way Rafa could afford to have someone like Nani underperforming constantly, and let his value drop for season after season in the hope he makes it. Same with Chelsea.

By no means all of them, but I think there's some he would have kept, players like (but not definitely, if you see what I mean) Gonzalez, Crouch (who we may have been able to keep if we could have offered the kind of wages Mancs/Chelsea can, Keane, Sissoko...).

Have we not done this with Babel?

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2009, 08:15:45 pm »
Have we not done this with Babel?
See post above, maybe they were bad examples. I think Babel produced more in his first season than Nani did in his though. One bad example doesn't make my point wrong though.

What do you reckon, was what I said fair or not?

Offline adz174

• Main Stander
« Reply #224 on: October 1, 2009, 04:00:13 am »
Pennant was a scumbag and even now, hes only in spain for the money..
WALK ON

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #225 on: February 20, 2016, 12:10:18 am »

(The 2-1 defeat to AC Milan in the CL  final)

"I had left three or four tickets for my uncle, but when he arrived, the tickets weren’t there."

"For some reason, it was announced over the Tannoy while the match was going on. I heard it and I was completely baffled. They must have expected me to walk off the pitch and try to sort it out!"

"That is an amazing part of the story. Coming out of prison, signing for Liverpool and playing in the Champions League final a year later."

"I think I’ve been written off in England, my past doesn’t help, I know that, but a lot of clubs are very quick to judge a book by its cover."

"Last summer I was offering to go in and train with clubs, to try to earn a contract, and I’m told that people were writing to the chairmen saying: ‘Don’t sign this player. He’s this. He’s that."

"I’ve sat there thinking: ‘How is this possible? How can no club in England, even in the Championship, want me even to train?"

"I know from Wigan last season I could do more than a good job in the Championship, but people were trying to sabotage my career."

"People might call it a step down, but I’m looking at it as a step up, a chance to achieve things I maybe couldn’t in England. If I do it correctly, it will be great for me."[/quote]

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #226 on: February 20, 2016, 12:20:17 am »
Has he been over to Spain to collect his Porsche yet?

Offline ranimi

• Anny Roader
« Reply #227 on: February 20, 2016, 02:39:17 am »
I thought we have re-signed Pennant...

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: February 20, 2016, 02:42:47 am »
Why is this not in the Former LFC Players Forum? Are we still paying for him?  ???
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: February 20, 2016, 07:52:18 am »
He was boss in against Milan in 2007.

Offline C

• ock. Skinny bastard attempting to give himself a brekkie heart attack. Miserable, Unless we win of course.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: February 20, 2016, 11:47:34 am »
I liked him when he was with us, sure he had a reputation before he joined.. but he always worked his b*llocks off for us and delivered a quality cross..

People still underrate Cristiano Ronaldo.

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2016, 06:42:59 am »
On 6 January 2016, Pennant went on trial at Singapore's Tampines Rovers FC Ten days later, the club announced that Pennant would sign a 12 months contract with the club.

http://www.espnfcasia.com/singapore-s-league/story/2797701/pennant-scores-for-tampines-in-trial-match
🔥97🔥

Online Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: March 9, 2016, 11:26:58 am »

This seems to be most people's view but I remember there being gaping holes down Milan's left and Pennant receiving lots of the ball but not using it that productively. I wasn't impressed with his performance that night but seem to be in the minority.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #233 on: November 2, 2016, 04:37:04 pm »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #234 on: November 7, 2016, 01:38:42 pm »
thought so too
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #235 on: November 7, 2016, 03:52:47 pm »
Exiled from Tampon Rovers, the Jermaine Pennant Story.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #236 on: November 7, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »
i had to google that team name hahaha
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 7, 2016, 05:23:34 pm »

Once a red, always a red.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 19, 2017, 08:09:27 pm »
Pennant has signed with Bury in League One after a pay dispute with Tampine Rovers.  Autocorrect wanted to say Tampons Rovers.

The contract is through the end of the season.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/38683814

Sent from my SM-G550T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:13:31 pm by zabadoh »
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2017, 07:23:01 pm »
Pennant is training with Hibs, maybe trying for a contract in their return to the Scottish Premiership

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/ex-liverpool-winger-jermaine-pennant-training-with-hibs-1-4487974