Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806311 times)

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #8040 on: March 19, 2015, 10:38:47 am »
With regards to Ings, I think Brendan is determined to have a striker who offers something 'different'. Sturridge, Sterling and Origi are pretty much cut from the same cloth. I still think that 'different' striker should be Balotelli but I think it is becoming increasingly likely that Brendan will cut his losses and move him on.

Well, for one, 'different' lead to 21 points out of 48 in the first half of the season, partially down to 'different' not fitting in the system, and partially down to Balotelli being an awful finisher.

Besides, Ings is hardly 'different', he offers a bit more hold up play than Sterling, but his game is based on the same speed, fluidity and movement that we desire, and a bit more striking nous.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #8041 on: March 19, 2015, 10:44:02 am »
Can we rename the thread to 'The strikers we have or might have' thread please?!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8042 on: March 19, 2015, 11:05:39 am »
Some twats on twitter saying Henderson turned down an 80k per week contract, is there actually any truth to this or is it the usual twitter bollocks?

Offline Shaved Crossbar

• shits from the hip
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8043 on: March 19, 2015, 11:07:37 am »
Some twats on twitter saying Henderson turned down an 80k per week contract, is there actually any truth to this or is it the usual twitter bollocks?

Echo reported it, says that he asked for 120, but all parties (Henderson, agent, club) want to reach a solution

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/jordan-henderson-liverpool-captaincy-talk-8870201

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #8044 on: March 19, 2015, 11:08:01 am »

I would if I was Hendo too.

Lest we forget it's only a couple years since we had, Downing, Cole, Carroll etc. on the level of coin.

Future Captain, England regular, CL level.

Online Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8045 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:57 am »
Echo reported it, says that he asked for 120, but all parties (Henderson, agent, club) want to reach a solution

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/jordan-henderson-liverpool-captaincy-talk-8870201

Eugh....

Lest we forget it's only a couple years since we had, Downing, Cole, Carroll etc. on the level of coin.

True, fucking annoying though as Coutinho who has a much higher ceiling and potential signed a 70k per week deal.. then we are having issues with other players.

Would just be nice for it all to be kept out of the media spotlight and sorted, rather than this.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #8046 on: March 19, 2015, 11:15:18 am »
Lads, can we put contract chat in here?

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=320431.0

I think this thread is really to talk about football in.

Ta.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8047 on: March 19, 2015, 11:23:09 am »
We are adding Origi as well, so it's two players already. And how many of our cheap punts have saved us money (acccounting for wages) and how much time haven't we wasted by loaning out and/or trying to make deals, with the likes of Lambert, Aspas, and Borini? Sure, any signing can fail, but then seeing as we have 6 good players already, it isn't a disaster if one does. We could still get by, certainly if Sturridge is fit more than he has been this season. Maybe someone from the acadamy steps up, like Ibe has recently.

And what if Ings and 'new striker' fails? Then were stuck with them over pretty long contracts and have them on our books for more time than we'd like. We failed with Balotelli AND Lambert last season, Aspas was loaned out after a year at the club, and Borini still hangs around doing practically nothing for us, after a loan, and after we wanted him to go. No signing is without risk, not even those who are 'free'. If Ings is a good player who is capable of replacing Sturridge when he is out, by all means, buy him. But please don't add him for some (often false) sense of security. We have the depth, we have talented youngsters we can play a game here and there, we have a rather settled squad, and not infinate amounts of money. Use what we have on fees and wages, on as few players as possible this summer. That would be my idea.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:26:22 am by Roger Federer »

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #8048 on: March 19, 2015, 11:58:07 am »
Lambert's playing the role that he was bought for exactly, how did he fail?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8049 on: March 19, 2015, 12:00:55 pm »
If Ings is a good player who is capable of replacing Sturridge when he is out, by all means, buy him.
Then we agree! ;D

Price would obviously be a factor in choosing Ings over Striker X, but I definitely think he'd be on the list even if he had 4 years left on his contract.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #8050 on: March 19, 2015, 12:10:09 pm »
How did this become the forward thread of the transfer forum?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8051 on: March 19, 2015, 12:12:23 pm »
How did this become the forward thread of the transfer forum?

Managed to get rid of all the tedious contract shite at least.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #8052 on: March 19, 2015, 12:27:53 pm »
Managed to get rid of all the tedious contract shite at least.

Saw that. Thanks.

I was originally opposed to killing the player threads, but the level of discussion in here convinced me otherwise. :)

To be fair, our system now uses sometimes 4 AMs and Can in defence...so the lines get blurred. But  I don't understand how we get to Danny Ings from that...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 12:29:43 pm by Giono »
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8053 on: March 19, 2015, 12:56:31 pm »
Saw that. Thanks.

I was originally opposed to killing the player threads, but the level of discussion in here convinced me otherwise. :)

To be fair, our system now uses sometimes 4 AMs and Can in defence...so the lines get blurred. But  I don't understand how we get to Danny Ings from that...

Some of the 'trouble' is because of our current system - we have a lot of midfielders. When we play 3-4-3, we sometimes use Moreno as the left wing-back and sometimes we use Lallana, Sterling or Markovic and even Ibe. Sterling has also been used up front, which means sometimes we class him as a wing-back/defender, sometimes he's a midfielder and sometimes he's a striker. For Can it's similar. Most would say he's a midfielder playing in defence, but we need to take into account that he's used in different roles. When we begin to talk about how we can improve our midfield, we need to consider a lot of things. Do we class Can as a defender or midfielder? Both? What about Moreno, Sterling, Lallana, Ibe and Markovic?

Our system is fluid and it means we need to be somewhat fluid in our discussions too.

If I try and restrict 'midfield', I'd limit it to our CMs. And moving on from there, it doesn't matter so much to me if we play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3. Overall, I think we'd be fine with 4 CMs. That is Henderson, Allen, Lucas and Can. As such, CM is not an area to worry about. If we limit it to that group, Gerrard is a 5th option this season. Next season that could well be a young player and we'd be sorted. We could even keep playing Can in defence and be alright.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8054 on: March 19, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »
Some of the 'trouble' is because of our current system - we have a lot of midfielders. When we play 3-4-3, we sometimes use Moreno as the left wing-back and sometimes we use Lallana, Sterling or Markovic and even Ibe. Sterling has also been used up front, which means sometimes we class him as a wing-back/defender, sometimes he's a midfielder and sometimes he's a striker. For Can it's similar. Most would say he's a midfielder playing in defence, but we need to take into account that he's used in different roles. When we begin to talk about how we can improve our midfield, we need to consider a lot of things. Do we class Can as a defender or midfielder? Both? What about Moreno, Sterling, Lallana, Ibe and Markovic?

Our system is fluid and it means we need to be somewhat fluid in our discussions too.

If I try and restrict 'midfield', I'd limit it to our CMs. And moving on from there, it doesn't matter so much to me if we play 3-4-3 or 4-3-3. Overall, I think we'd be fine with 4 CMs. That is Henderson, Allen, Lucas and Can. As such, CM is not an area to worry about. If we limit it to that group, Gerrard is a 5th option this season. Next season that could well be a young player and we'd be sorted. We could even keep playing Can in defence and be alright.

I'd go along with that, but clearly Danny Ings isn't going to be used at Wing-Back or CM, is he? Or is he?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8055 on: March 19, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »

Not in a million years.. 80k for a start, that sounds absolutely right to me.

I am glad the club refuses to pay silly wages like we did in the past, those days are gone and it was about time.

No matter if it's Stevie, Sterling or Hendo, there is a clear policy from the club in terms of value and wages and there shouldn't be any exceptions to the rule...
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline ElstonGunn

• is Billy Beane
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8056 on: March 19, 2015, 01:18:32 pm »
I've never understood the keep threads on topic ultras, and I think the discussion in the thread in the last couple pages has flowed naturally out of a relevant topic and has been not worse than usual, but we also can talk about strikers somewhere else if people really care that much.
I'd go along with that, but clearly Danny Ings isn't going to be used at Wing-Back or CM, is he? Or is he?
Wouldn't bet against him having a few games at left wingback if he came. :)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8057 on: March 19, 2015, 01:32:45 pm »

I doubt that. I'll respond about Ings in the thread about Liverpool's attack.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8058 on: March 19, 2015, 01:35:02 pm »
I've never understood the keep threads on topic ultras, and I think the discussion in the thread in the last couple pages has flowed naturally out of a relevant topic and has been not worse than usual, but we also can talk about strikers somewhere else if people really care that much.

I'm not an ultra, but when you have to go back four or five pages to find any real discussion of the thread topic, maybe it's better to take the conversation elsewhere.

Wouldn't bet against him having a few games at left wingback if he came. :)

Rodgers believes in Total Football, clearly.  :)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #8059 on: March 19, 2015, 02:59:21 pm »
Jobi Alenso the maestro of our midfield.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8060 on: March 19, 2015, 06:07:07 pm »

Jovi Allnandez  ;D

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8061 on: March 19, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

Jovi Allnandez  ;D

can't we just let him be Joe Allen?
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #8062 on: March 19, 2015, 10:05:09 pm »

Who's that?
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline theMilkman

• but doesn't deliver.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8063 on: March 19, 2015, 11:10:11 pm »
Who's that?

Tidy midfielder we have, been playing well recently. Maybe you missed him because he was average as hell for most of the past two seasons?  had crazy expectations put on him because the gaffer called him the Welsh Xavi, now he's finally starting to show another level to his game and playing like the player we knew was in there somewhere in the midst of all that often mindless sideways passing and people are coming up with crazy labels and comparing him to arguably two of the best central midfielders of the past 20 years. That Joe Allen.  :wave
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 11:12:04 pm by theMilkman »
"But the most important thing that we all must remember is that this football club is much more important and bigger than anybody."~ King Kenny Dalglish

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8064 on: March 20, 2015, 04:15:46 am »

Nah, he's clearly Mignolet's replacement... :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8065 on: March 20, 2015, 04:26:48 am »
Nah, he's clearly Mignolet's replacement... :)

Ingolet
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Latenight Surfer

• Legacy Fan
  • Giggity
« Reply #8066 on: March 20, 2015, 04:40:07 am »

It's Yo Allen in Spanish
"Genuine Struggle Leads To Genuine Success" - Yevado Annadle

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8067 on: March 20, 2015, 04:45:12 am »
It's Yo Allen in Spanish

Does that mean it was "Joe MTV Raps" in English?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Tobez

• Kopite
  • We all Live r pool
« Reply #8068 on: March 20, 2015, 08:08:12 am »
It's Yo Allen in Spanish

Wouldn't it be Ho Allen in Spanish? That might also get him on MTV.

Offline swordfishtrombone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8069 on: March 20, 2015, 01:37:49 pm »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/19/adam-lallana-liverpool-reward-manchester-united?

Decent wee interview with Lallana here. He comes across as quite an astute fella when he's interviewed by the papers or on the telly doesn't he?

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #8070 on: March 21, 2015, 02:22:08 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/19/adam-lallana-liverpool-reward-manchester-united?

Decent wee interview with Lallana here. He comes across as quite an astute fella when he's interviewed by the papers or on the telly doesn't he?
One could read this like "adam-lallana-liverpool-ripping-united-new-one"
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #8071 on: March 22, 2015, 03:44:31 pm »
What do people make of Henderson and Allen's performance today?

That first half was the worst I've seen from both in a really long time. Second half was better.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #8072 on: March 22, 2015, 03:52:04 pm »
Very poor game by Allen today, completely lacking the composure we needed in that first half. Along with Moreno, quite possibly our worst performer on the day (not including Gerrard) and that's saying something.

Offline Loo Pan

• Lower Cooker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Heavy Metal Football
« Reply #8073 on: March 22, 2015, 03:54:10 pm »
It's days like this that really reaffirm the priority areas to sort out in the summer. A new central midfielder and a new wide player, as good as we can get, have to be brought in.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8074 on: March 22, 2015, 03:54:51 pm »
Could of done with Lucas starting instead of either Henderson/Allen today.

Offline Mamadou

• & Ariam. Reads RAWK in strip clubs, but does not post.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8075 on: March 22, 2015, 03:56:59 pm »
we need some proper midfielders with balls, intelligence and talent
" Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack"

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8076 on: March 22, 2015, 03:57:46 pm »
Why didn't he bring Lucas on for Lallana? We just needed to get a grip of the game in midfield and a bit of control but we decide at half time Gerrard has to be the hero. We needed to get a foothold in the game first.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8077 on: March 22, 2015, 04:01:17 pm »
What do people make of Henderson and Allen's performance today?

That first half was the worst I've seen from both in a really long time. Second half was better.
Worst in a long time. Especially Henderson who went hiding. Very disappointing.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #8078 on: March 22, 2015, 04:03:38 pm »
Worst in a long time. Especially Henderson who went hiding. Very disappointing.

We were outnumbered. Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini and plus others who helped their midfield out. We had Allen and Henderson that was it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8079 on: March 22, 2015, 04:06:02 pm »
We were outnumbered. Carrick, Herrera, Fellaini and plus others who helped their midfield out. We had Allen and Henderson that was it.
And Lallana and Coutinho. The problem wasn't really that we were outnumbered in midfield (certainly in the first half)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob