Author Topic: Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain  (Read 760499 times)

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
« Reply #3720 on: August 21, 2020, 07:01:40 pm »
Wonder if it's the same knee he had the major surgery on?

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #3721 on: August 21, 2020, 07:10:29 pm »
...in the free world?
Ha! Why not? Though I think Neil Young's a Spurs fan. He keeps singing that he likes Harry Kane ;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
« Reply #3722 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:49 pm »
Well thats that then.

Do you disagree and if so why?
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3723 on: August 21, 2020, 07:19:52 pm »
Well thats that then.
Yep, best sell while he can still stand up
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3724 on: August 21, 2020, 07:25:50 pm »
Do you disagree and if so why?

Because even though 75% of what you wrote was bullshit, the other 25% was just guesswork and ended up also being bullshit.

He played practically a full season for us, before his big injury and again since he returned.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3725 on: August 21, 2020, 07:29:32 pm »

Because even though 75% of what you wrote was bullshit, the other 25% was just guesswork and ended up also being bullshit.

He played practically a full season for us, before his big injury and again since he returned.

What’s bullshit is random and arbitrary assessments of 75% and 25%.

Do you accept that’s some players are more injury prone than others?

And those that are are less reliable?

And is Ox in that category?

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3726 on: August 21, 2020, 07:33:10 pm »

What evidence is there that outside of his horrendous injury Ox is more injury prone than anyone else for us?

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3727 on: August 21, 2020, 07:48:07 pm »
What evidence is there that outside of his horrendous injury Ox is more injury prone than anyone else for us?

Now that’s the sensible statistics based objective question rather than asserting 75/25% nonsense per Fucking Appalled..  Per my earlier message I’ve not looked at the stats, that’s feel. But I would suggest if I asked 100 football fans if Ox is injury prone or not the vast majority would say yes. I think he is. Same as Owen, Anderson, Redknapp. Maybe less so, but he’s hardly a VVD. In fact just checked out his injury history which I suggest supports my assertion: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3728 on: August 21, 2020, 07:53:14 pm »
Now that’s the sensible statistics based objective question rather than asserting 75/25% nonsense per Fucking Appalled..  Per my earlier message I’ve not looked at the stats, that’s feel. But I would suggest if I asked 100 football fans if Ox is injury prone or not the vast majority would say yes. I think he is. Same as Owen, Anderson, Redknapp. Maybe less so, but he’s hardly a VVD. In fact just checked out his injury history which I suggest supports my assertion: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/alex-oxlade-chamberlain/verletzungen/spieler/143424
I’d say those stats support the fact that since joining us he’s only had one injury aside from the big one that caused him to miss more than 2 weeks, and that was immediately after trying to come back from the surgery.
Pretty much supports the argument that he’s not injury prone anymore and nothing like Redknapp, Owen or as has been suggested Sturridge.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3729 on: August 21, 2020, 08:06:32 pm »
Just asked some mates on a WhatsApp group who support spurs, arsenal, wrexham and Utd.

The comments were:

1) I’m not an avid follower of his career but my perception is he’s injury prone
2) was always injured for us;
3) often injured. Maybe because he’s explosive.but has never nailed down a place and injuries haven’t helped. But often seems injured for arsenal, Liverpool and England;
4) bench player, if he could stay fit he might be quality, but he can’t seem to

It’s funny how people poo poo assessing football by stats (assists etc) and say sometimes you just need to see with your eyes. Yet on this issue stats matter.

Either way, my objective assessment, and that of most objective others, or by reference to that link above. In my opinion he’s injury prone. Very sad. But we can’t bank on him starting  40 games

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:08:05 pm by Reeves »

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3730 on: August 21, 2020, 08:12:27 pm »
Do we need to rely on him for 40 starts?

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3731 on: August 21, 2020, 08:14:02 pm »
Just because people’s perception is one thing doesn’t mean it’s true, as those stats show. You could say at Arsenal he seemed injury prone and the stats may well support that, however it’s not the case for us.
Which is why saying he’s injury prone or that he’ll probably miss most of the season etc is over the top and unnecessary.

Given the bad injury he’s had, could he become more susceptible? He might be, but shall we just wait and see rather than write him off?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 08:47:01 pm by duvva »

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3732 on: August 21, 2020, 08:14:09 pm »
Do we need to rely on him for 40 starts?

No, not at all. I suggested we should accept half a season. That’ll do us. And he can make a real difference when he plays or comes of the bench

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3733 on: August 21, 2020, 08:17:46 pm »
:buttJust because people’s perception is one thing doesn’t mean it’s true, as those stats show. You could say at Arsenal he seemed injury prone and the stats may well support that, however it’s not the case for us.
Which is why saying he’s injury prone or that he’ll probably miss most of the season etc is over the top and unnecessary.

Given the bad injury he’s had, could he become more susceptible? He might be shall we just wait and see rather than write him off?

I don’t write him off. Equally I don’t think he’s always fit. It’s not black nor white.

Unavailability most of the season is an exaggeration. I broadly suggest half. It may be 3/8ths or 2/8ths but his body is not as reliable as many. He is on the more injury prone side than not.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3734 on: August 21, 2020, 08:24:08 pm »
No, not at all. I suggested we should accept half a season. That’ll do us. And he can make a real difference when he plays or comes of the bench

He's been fit for 90 percent of last season, and in his first season he didn't have any issues until April when he did his knee in, which is more than half of the season, it's pretty much all of the season.

2017/2018 - 32 appearances in the league, 42 overall
2019/2020 - 30 appearances in the league, 43 overall

That's undoubtedly more than half a season. That's majority of the season in 2 out of the 3 years.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3735 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:15 pm »
He's been fit for 90 percent of last season, and in his first season he didn't have any issues until April when he did his knee in, which is more than half of the season, it's pretty much all of the season.

That's undoubtedly more than half a season. That's majority of the season in 2 out of the 3 years.
[/quotE

One can’t just ignore an ACL!!

What’s his availability percentage since joining and at Arsenal?

My perception is it’s low compared with the average availability of a premier league player. I suspect that’s cirrect

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3736 on: August 21, 2020, 08:38:54 pm »

How many times has he been fit enough to complete the 90 minutes though. The Ox is hugely dynamic and I love watching him burst through the lines but there has to be questions about his durability and his endurance.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3737 on: August 21, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »
How many times has he been fit enough to complete the 90 minutes though. The Ox is hugely dynamic and I love watching him burst through the lines but there has to be questions about his durability and his endurance.

Completely agree. On top of low level games in a season, the games he does play are as a sub or for 60 minutes. Can’t believe any objective analysis can conclude anything but his fitness is questionable. Regrettable  but felt by arsenal fans, Liverpool fans, and neutrals. It’s just true .

Offline billylad

• Kemlynite
« Reply #3738 on: August 21, 2020, 08:44:36 pm »
I Believe....AOC.... thats it.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3739 on: August 21, 2020, 08:47:01 pm »
One can’t just ignore an ACL!!

What’s his availability percentage since joining and at Arsenal?

My perception is it’s low compared with the average availability of a premier league player. I suspect that’s cirrect

One can provide context to said injury, it's a freak injury which can occur to anyone. It was unfortunate that it happened to him, nobody is ignoring that season but it's already been established that he's recovered and played an entire season without  major injuries after recovering from said injury. What he has now is nothing severe, henderson literally has the same injury.

He's made for appearances for us in the league than he has for Arsenal [per each season].

Looking at his injuries at Arsenal, in his earlier days he was prone to more injuries through out the season.

13/14 - 3 separate injuries, out for 200 days
14/15 - 3 separate injuries, out for 100 days
15/16 - 3 separate injuries, out for 140 plus days

He then went a whole year without any injuries and that was in 16/17, with just a hamstring, he missed about 17 days.

He then went for almost a whole year without injury up until doing his ACL/MCL in May 2017.

It's fair and accurate to say that he was injury prone in the earlier parts of his career. It's fair and correct to say that has been reduced in terms of different types of injuries and the frequencies of them since then.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3740 on: August 21, 2020, 08:51:12 pm »

in 2017/2018 he played more than 60 minutes, on 22 occasions. 13 of those were full 90 minutes, 3 games of 80 plus minutes. The rest I couldn't be arsed breaking down.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3741 on: August 21, 2020, 09:01:33 pm »
Gerard starts and plays 90 minutes. You dont take him off.
Same for Viera, Keane, yaya, Scott Parker, Lampard, scholes etc.Ox generally starts for 66 minutes or gets brought on for 25/30 minutes. He’s just not a starter or fit enough to be. Can’t believe it isn’t straightforwardly accepted. Any neutral forum it would be. I accept this isn’t a neutral forum though!

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3742 on: August 21, 2020, 09:02:38 pm »
in 2017/2018 he played more than 60 minutes, on 22 occasions. 13 of those were full 90 minutes, 3 games of 80 plus minutes. The rest I couldn't be arsed breaking down.

I will do it for you.

In 17-18 in the Premier League Mo Salah played 2,921 minutes. The Ox played 1484 minutes which meant he was 15th in our squad for appearances that season. To put that into perspective Klavan played 1449 minutes.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3743 on: August 21, 2020, 09:28:37 pm »
I will do it for you.

In 17-18 in the Premier League Mo Salah played 2,921 minutes. The Ox played 1484 minutes which meant he was 15th in our squad for appearances that season. To put that into perspective Klavan played 1449 minutes.

And you're the king of taking things out of context.

Particularly when it has been numerously repeated by the manager and by the player, that he needed time to adapt to what was asked of him in midfield. The same thing that happened to fabinho for instance, and with Keita [when he was fit].

But why provide context.

[that's not even taking into consideration whether or not substitutions were tactical changes,etc... but hey why provide that]. You're more likely to change a player in midfield than you are a CB.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:32:52 pm by You think you'd learn by now »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3744 on: August 21, 2020, 09:29:53 pm »
Same for Viera, Keane, yaya, Scott Parker, Lampard, scholes etc.Ox generally starts for 66 minutes or gets brought on for 25/30 minutes. He’s just not a starter or fit enough to be. Can’t believe it isn’t straightforwardly accepted. Any neutral forum it would be. I accept this isn’t a neutral forum though!

We're arguing two different things now. You're the one who said that we have to accept that he will only be available for us half the season.

That hasn't been the case for 2 out of the 3 seasons.

So now you want to move goalposts about when he's starting, when he's being taken off,etc...

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3745 on: August 21, 2020, 09:36:41 pm »
We're arguing two different things now. You're the one who said that we have to accept that he will only be available for us half the season.

That hasn't been the case for 2 out of the 3 seasons.

So now you want to move goalposts about when he's starting, when he's being taken off,etc...

You’re splitting hairs. My point is he’s regrettably an injury prone player. Let’s all stop beating about the bush. To suggest otherwise is fanciful. If you ask Ox he’ll tell you that regrettably injuries have massively inhibited his career.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3746 on: August 21, 2020, 09:43:42 pm »
You’re splitting hairs. My point is he’s regrettably an injury prone player. Let’s all stop beating about the bush. To suggest otherwise is fanciful. If you ask Ox he’ll tell you that regrettably injuries have massively inhibited his career.

No your point was that we need to accept that he's going to be only useful for half a season. I provided you proof that hasn't been the case bar the one unfortunate injury that he's had.

I also said that he's been prone to injuries in the earlier parts of his career, with numerous and various injuries through out each season that he kept him out for several months. And that has declined in the last several years.

So in response you then began to talk about how many times he plays 90 minutes,etc... bla bla bla.

He may not be good enough to play in every game or to play 90 minutes, but that's not what was initially discussed. What was brought up to you was his availability, not his ability.

In any case hopefully he recovers from this minor setback and continues to make progress in the right direction.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3747 on: August 21, 2020, 09:52:19 pm »
And you're the king of taking things out of context.

Particularly when it has been numerously repeated by the manager and by the player, that he needed time to adapt to what was asked of him in midfield. The same thing that happened to fabinho for instance, and with Keita [when he was fit].

But why provide context.

[that's not even taking into consideration whether or not substitutions were tactical changes,etc... but hey why provide that]. You're more likely to change a player in midfield than you are a CB.

The context is that he has never played more than 1600 minutes in a season for us or Arsenal and averages the number of minutes of the 15th or 16th player in a squad.

15/16  919 minutes for Arsenal.
16/17  1562 minutes for Arsenal
17/18  1484 minutes for Liverpool
18/19  cruciate injury
19/20  1492 minutes for Liverpool

To put that into context a player who plays 90 minutes every League games plays 3420 minutes.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3748 on: August 21, 2020, 09:54:27 pm »

I honestly hope you’re just trolling with some of your comments, but I don’t think you are ;D

‘He might have played 30 league games last season and I don’t know the stats....but I still think he’s injury prone and good for about half a season’. It’s not quite as straight to the point as your ‘TAA is shit at free kicks’ line but it’s in the same sort of category.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3749 on: August 21, 2020, 10:00:51 pm »
The context is that he has never played more than 1600 minutes in a season for us or Arsenal and averages the number of minutes of the 15th or 16th player in a squad.

15/16  919 minutes for Arsenal.
16/17  1562 minutes for Arsenal
17/18  1484 minutes for Liverpool
18/19  cruciate injury

To put that into context a player who plays 90 minutes every League games plays 3420 minutes.

And unsurprisingly again a lack of context.

I don't care about his days at Arsenal. I've already said that he was seriously ravaged with injuries there, and had numerous injuries each season. Going in and out of the side like that isn't helpful, particularly for a young player who is in completion with senior players for a regular place in the team.

I have no interest in that time period of his career when it comes to his availability here. 3 seasons here, 2 seasons he's played for 90 percent of the season.

You don't want to provide context to his first season here as it doesn't suit your argument. There is no statistical data that shows why a player was taken off,whether it be due to fitness or tactical reasons. But we do know for a fact, based on the manager and the player, that his introduction to the side needed time, given the complexity of his role in midfield compared to what he is used to in arsenal, given the complexity of the pressing that we do in midfield compared to that of Arsenal.

Now moving on to this past season, the context, is

1. he's coming back from a serious knee injury
2. he's competing for a spot in a side that has established consistent performers who don't miss a game usually since his last regular stint in the side.

Now if he has injuries all year long, and has fitness issues and is knackered then we can go back tot his discussion about his time here.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3750 on: August 21, 2020, 10:05:31 pm »
Didn’t Arsenal have a famously bad injury record when he was there?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3751 on: August 21, 2020, 10:09:59 pm »

They did.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3752 on: August 21, 2020, 10:20:19 pm »

It must have been much easier for him to get on the pitch then. His best season for Arsenal was 16/17 when he managed 1562 minutes which placed him 11th in the Arsenal squad. That was 100 minutes more than a 20 year old Alex Iwobi.

That season Alexis Sanchez played 3223 minutes.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3753 on: August 21, 2020, 10:21:38 pm »
The shouts on here have changed from Ox is injury prone and can’t be relied upon to be fit to the number of minutes he plays each game. It almost seems like now it’s proven that he pretty much been fit outside of the big injury for us that some need to find another way to have a go.
Keita rarely finishes games either, some players just don’t have the 90 in them at the intensity we play but we get the best out of them for the minutes they do play. It’s also arguable that since the injury his minutes have been managed to do this.

If you want argue he needs to make more impact when he plays then I don’t think even Ox would disagree with that at times, but the rest is bollocks.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3754 on: August 21, 2020, 10:23:56 pm »
It must have been much easier for him to get on the pitch then. His best season for Arsenal was 16/17 when he managed 1562 minutes which placed him 11th in the Arsenal squad. That was 100 minutes more than a 20 year old Alex Iwobi.

And it's perfectly fine to compare Sanchez to Ox  :D :D

Sanchez who was their key player, their main player, of course he played more. Sanchez a striker, compared to Ox, a player who was played in various positions without having a set position under Wenger.

In any case, if he wasn't playing, while he was healthy then that means he wasn't good enough for Wenger.

That's a separate debate and argument, and completely irrelevant to what was started on here.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #3755 on: August 21, 2020, 10:30:51 pm »

Gerrard (spell his bloody name correctly FFS, he was at the club for long enough) was "injury prone" as well. Your point?
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3756 on: August 21, 2020, 10:31:32 pm »

Bless, have you found whoscored tonight Al ;D

If you’re that arsed to look it up, there’s a lot of articles about Wengers fitness ‘techniques’ and how his coaching was particularly hard on youngsters (which is why they had a plethora of constant injuries to the likes Wilshere, Ramsay, Walcott, Ox, Diaby, RVP). I’m sure even you can see there isn’t much logic in ‘Arsenals training seems to be causing injuries to their players...it’s strange then that one of their players isn’t playing much’.

Online wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3757 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:37 pm »

Playing nearly half the games of a season isn't bad for a squad player.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #3758 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:40 pm »
I honestly hope you’re just trolling with some of your comments, but I don’t think you are ;D

‘He might have played 30 league games last season and I don’t know the stats....but I still think he’s injury prone and good for about half a season’. It’s not quite as straight to the point as your ‘TAA is shit at free kicks’ line but it’s in the same sort of category.

It’s really not, but as you’re infatuated with my opinions I can see why you’d bend it. If a player played eg 1 minute every game all season, whilst he played 38 games it’s not the same as a player who played 38x90 minutes. The fact is Ox can’t get in our first x1 and can’t reliably stay fit for playing 90 minutes all season or 90 minutes consistently at all or in fact consistently over a season for say a half. He’s injury prone. It’s unfortunate but anyone other than the most biased red will recognize that.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #3759 on: August 21, 2020, 10:34:48 pm »
The shouts on here have changed from Ox is injury prone and can’t be relied upon to be fit to the number of minutes he plays each game. It almost seems like now it’s proven that he pretty much been fit outside of the big injury for us that some need to find another way to have a go.
Keita rarely finishes games either, some players just don’t have the 90 in them at the intensity we play but we get the best out of them for the minutes they do play. It’s also arguable that since the injury his minutes have been managed to do this.

If you want argue he needs to make more impact when he plays then I don’t think even Ox would disagree with that at times, but the rest is bollocks.

The way to show that you are not injury prone and durable is to play the full game week in week out. You only have three subs so if you include injuries 80% of your outfield players need to play the 90 minutes. Ox and Keita are nowhere that level.

That is why they are miles behind the likes of Gini, Hendo and Fabinho.
"Ohhh-kayyy"