Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 830344 times)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3560 on: February 10, 2020, 08:33:59 pm »
Well done and thanks for the effort Gulley  , went on to post it earlier on Merseyside on film and seen someone had already found it .

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3561 on: February 13, 2020, 09:09:16 am »
Date stamps on Facebook are up the wall.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Red portraits
« Reply #3562 on: February 17, 2020, 11:16:43 pm »
Don’t think this has been posted. Jimmy Case’s daughter, Emma, is putting together a cool project documenting old reds photos. Worth a follow if you’re on instagram. https://instagram.com/red_portraits

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3563 on: March 4, 2020, 11:28:23 am »
Not so much old photo's, but a fascinating read on how Liverpool was involved in some pioneer commercial helicopter flights.

https://personalpages.manchester.ac.uk/staff/m.dodge/Dreaming-of-Helicopter-Travel-in-the-1950s_Historic-Society_paper.pdf

.... in 1950 BEA undertook several long distance trial services for paying passengers. The ambition was to see how helicopters could become more than personal air taxis, replacing private motorcars for ad-hoc journeys and to develop scheduled services, like “buses of the skies”. The first experiment began in June 1950, with a daily service between Liverpool and Cardiff, plus a request stop at Wrexham to collect any passengers that wished to join20. The route ran in a fairly straight-line from Speke Airport, over Chester, across mid Wales and past Abergavenny into Pengam Moors Aerodrome on the eastern side of Cardiff. (Figure 4) The 130 mile journey took around 1 hour and 40 minutes with the helicopters cruising at a speed of 85mph and altitude of around 1,500 feet (457m). Flights departed from Liverpool at 9.00am and from Cardiff at 9.45am, with a return journey in the late afternoon (the timings were arranged so helicopter passengers could connect at Speke to aeroplane flights to Belfast, Dublin and the Isle of Man).21 Fares were charged at £5 10s return or £3 10s single. It was acknowledged in the media at the time as the world’s first scheduled helicopter service and Chairman Kenneth Davies of the Welsh Advisory Council for Civil Aviation asserted that ‘Wales might have languished in the past, but this will put her on the world map of aviation.’22 This novel mode of transportation held the promise to overcome the geographical constraints of the principality, especially the fundamental disconnect of the northern and southern populated zones and the lack of a fast rail or road route across the rugged terrain in-between.  While the first passenger helicopter flights across Wales were encouraged by local politicians, the service was not commercially viable and the small helicopter employed (the Sikorsky S.51 model) could only carry three passengers and their luggage. The Liverpool to Cardiff service operated for just under a year, and was used by only 819 passengers23

Below is a cover of a Meccano magazine from 1937 that features in the article with a proposal for a rotating runway at the Pier Head....

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3564 on: March 9, 2020, 01:36:34 pm »
Bit different now..

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3565 on: March 9, 2020, 06:30:24 pm »
Bit different now..

To me the only improvement is the frontage of Lime Street were the steps are now , the right hand side part were the precinct was built was a Nice looking parade of shops n hotels with the Piccadilly square style of lighting . Too young to remember them so not too sure what state they were in before demolition 

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3566 on: March 9, 2020, 09:26:54 pm »
Didn't know there was an Ozzy on Leeds St!

The first Northern Hospital on Leeds Street.

Derby square toilets interior.  :o

Building/Location unknown.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:33:21 am by Medellin »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3567 on: March 10, 2020, 07:05:46 am »
The one with location unknown underneath it , is it London road near to TJ’S as it’s a really wide road

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3568 on: March 10, 2020, 07:31:20 am »
The one with location unknown underneath it , is it London road near to TJ’S as it’s a really wide road

That was for the Liver Bird photo which had the unknown location, there are 2 photos above which are Derby square wc's.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 07:34:14 am by Medellin »

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #3569 on: March 12, 2020, 11:57:15 am »
I don't know if it's been posted here before, but if you live in Litherland/ Bootle there are some interesting photos here.

http://litherland-digital.co.uk/default.htm

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3570 on: March 26, 2020, 10:57:30 am »
I don't know if it's been posted here before, but if you live in Litherland/ Bootle there are some interesting photos here.

http://litherland-digital.co.uk/default.htm

Just saw this post - thanks for that.

:)
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3571 on: April 4, 2020, 12:23:39 pm »

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #3572 on: April 8, 2020, 02:16:37 pm »
Love these old photos  :)

Funny though, as a kid I was BORED by all the oldies and black and white movies and photos and talk of 'the old times' but now I find it sooooo interesting.

Wish I could have felt like that while I was younger and my nans and granddads and parents were still here - so much to ask them about  :(
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3573 on: April 13, 2020, 07:21:39 am »
Love these old photos  :)

Funny though, as a kid I was BORED by all the oldies and black and white movies and photos and talk of 'the old times' but now I find it sooooo interesting.

Wish I could have felt like that while I was younger and my nans and granddads and parents were still here - so much to ask them about  :(

I think that's how we humans are programmed, the youngsters look forward and the oldies look back.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3574 on: April 18, 2020, 01:01:59 pm »
There's a good old pic of Sefton Park circulatig, I need to find an image host to upload it.
If you google 'ebay Sefton Park' there's loads of cracking postcards on there.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3575 on: April 20, 2020, 08:48:04 pm »
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3576 on: April 21, 2020, 10:03:48 am »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3577 on: April 21, 2020, 02:21:01 pm »
^ ^ ^
Is the second one the Southern Hospital in Dingle mate?

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3578 on: April 21, 2020, 03:10:20 pm »

Fred West looking rather dapper there  ;D

Probably been posted before, but here's one for Rob.

Phil Thompson, Liverpool centre back, returning to Kirkby and Lawrence Junior School to present the football trophies to the boys. Published Friday 12th July 1974.

If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3579 on: April 21, 2020, 03:18:44 pm »
^ ^ ^
Is the second one the Southern Hospital in Dingle mate?
Looks more like Liverpool Uni, behind the Catlick cathedral, to me John. The archway you can see on the left reminds me of the entrance above which is the plaque of the liver bird and the UNi's motto "FIAT LUX".

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3580 on: April 21, 2020, 03:20:59 pm »

Is that the ferry terminal in either Wallasey or Birkenhead? Or somewhere else? Looks dead familiar....

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3581 on: April 21, 2020, 04:08:24 pm »
Looks more like Liverpool Uni, behind the Catlick cathedral, to me John. The archway you can see on the left reminds me of the entrance above which is the plaque of the liver bird and the UNi's motto "FIAT LUX".

It's the Victoria Building... https://goo.gl/maps/1XzynGrbpuqmFKj99

One of the original 'red brick' buildings in the UK.

Fascinating place, some beautiful interior details but always a bit of a largely deserted building back when I remember going in it back in the mid to late 70's, slightly spooky if you're into that kind of stuff, and some of the rear windows at the top floor had a view out the back of the old medical lecture theatres opposite and the Path labs, and the deliveries that used to take place there...

Stats (SPSS?) dept had a small section of the ground floor, and I remember back in the 70's there was a remote Data Centre up on the top floor, 4th or 5th, that I used to visit, that was almost next door to the Acoustics department.

I got friendly with the Prof and a guy doing a PhD there, he was researching resonance in ducting for building design, and I was able to go inside the big walk in anechoic chamber they used for experiments a few times that they had in there.

Serious sonic deprivation weirdness being inside one of those.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3582 on: April 21, 2020, 05:08:34 pm »
Phil Thommo there with Rob66 head boy/prefect.  :D

Aye Jim spot on with the old link bridge to get the ferry.

..and yep too with the Victoria building which is now known as the VGM (Victoria Gallery & Museum)  quite nice in there now.
2nd floor back of the Tate hall is haunted, a few people I know have seen a ghostly figure there & one of the actually spoke to her!
'Don't leave any mess' or something like that she said..weekend work waaay back when the building was empty..the fella went down to the Porter & said 'I thought you said nobody was in here'!?
To which he replied 'there isn't'!
The basement is also spooked..I can verify that myself.
Accoustics is now on the 2nd floor of the Harrison Hughes building now i think Gulley.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3583 on: April 21, 2020, 05:51:27 pm »
Phil Thommo there with Rob66 head boy/prefect.  :D

Aye Jim spot on with the old link bridge to get the ferry.

..and yep too with the Victoria building which is now known as the VGM (Victoria Gallery & Museum)  quite nice in there now.
2nd floor back of the Tate hall is haunted, a few people I know have seen a ghostly figure there & one of the actually spoke to her!
'Don't leave any mess' or something like that she said..weekend work waaay back when the building was empty..the fella went down to the Porter & said 'I thought you said nobody was in here'!?
To which he replied 'there isn't'!
The basement is also spooked..I can verify that myself.
Accoustics is now on the 2nd floor of the Harrison Hughes building now i think Gulley.

I was well scruffier than that. ;D

I've been trying to find the pic of when the Overdale school team got taken to Manchester Airport by Thommo as a reward for winning everything in the season (1980 I think it was). Our kid played in that team and is in the photo. Thommo picked them up from the school in the LFC team coach, our kid sat in Kennys seat.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3584 on: April 21, 2020, 05:54:35 pm »
It's the Victoria Building... https://goo.gl/maps/1XzynGrbpuqmFKj99
Yeah that's the place I meant. Behind the cathedral.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3585 on: April 21, 2020, 07:00:47 pm »
I was well scruffier than that. ;D

I've been trying to find the pic of when the Overdale school team got taken to Manchester Airport by Thommo as a reward for winning everything in the season (1980 I think it was). Our kid played in that team and is in the photo. Thommo picked them up from the school in the LFC team coach, our kid sat in Kennys seat.
Try on this website Rob.
https://worldschoolphotographs.com/
They have a worldwide database  :thumbup
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3586 on: April 21, 2020, 07:25:55 pm »
Anyone happen to have any pictures of the (now disused and heavily graffiti'd) cafe in Otterspool? I found some old ones of it closed up but just wondered if there were any pictures of it when it was actually functioning/open.

In case anyone hasn't seen, they're 'putting the Pool back in Otterspool' at the moment. Otters tbc, obviously ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3587 on: April 21, 2020, 08:53:58 pm »
Try on this website Rob.
https://worldschoolphotographs.com/
They have a worldwide database  :thumbup

Kunt  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:57:01 pm by rob1966 »
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3588 on: April 21, 2020, 09:14:19 pm »

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3589 on: April 22, 2020, 12:39:06 pm »

Kunt  ;D

Got me as well   :D

Not seen this before..location?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3590 on: April 22, 2020, 12:50:11 pm »

Looks like the tower blocks on Sheil Road, no? But there's a row of several along Ullet Rd, overlooking Sefton Park too - could be them.....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 12:54:44 pm by 24/50 geek! »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3591 on: April 22, 2020, 02:36:36 pm »

I'd say its near Melwood. There used to be blocks of flats in Page Moss/Woolfall Heath and I think that is them in the background?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3592 on: April 22, 2020, 05:24:38 pm »
I'd say its near Melwood.

Rob, I'm pretty confident it's taken at Melwood from somewhere to the rear or side of the old training buildings location when the entrance was on Crown Road.

Those flats in the background where built in the mid 60's on the far side of Deysbrook Lane on land that was once Longleys Farm and a small estate of very old back to back terraced housing that we all, well a gang of us young proto delinquents and ne'er do wells, used to dodge the Cocky Watchman in order to play in back then before they were finally demolished.

I'm intrigued as to when the exact date of that photo would be though as Shanks resigned the same day Ray Kennedy signed.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3593 on: April 22, 2020, 05:53:19 pm »
Rob, I'm pretty confident it's taken at Melwood from somewhere to the rear or side of the old training buildings location when the entrance was on Crown Road.

Those flats in the background where built in the mid 60's on the far side of Deysbrook Lane on land that was once Longleys Farm and a small estate of very old back to back terraced housing that we all, well a gang of us young proto delinquents and ne'er do wells, used to dodge the Cocky Watchman in order to play in back then before they were finally demolished.

I'm intrigued as to when the exact date of that photo would be though as Shanks resigned the same day Ray Kennedy signed.

Nice one, thanks for the info Gulley

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3594 on: April 22, 2020, 09:12:04 pm »
Clearly my South Liverpool bias kicking in there  ;)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3595 on: May 7, 2020, 12:44:48 pm »
Tram shelter outside the Adelphi 1933.

Not seen this one before..1967.

M&S..1903, the Futurist just visible.

Pier Head landing stage.

Las Vegas  8)
Spent a fair amount of time in here, mostly watching others.  :(

Stonemasons work on the roof of the Anglican Cathedral.

Yates 1982  :D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3596 on: May 7, 2020, 01:00:31 pm »
Love the Liver birds on top of that shelter! <3

Amazing how small M&S used to be!!! The Futurist - was that on Lime St opposite the old ABC on the corner?? Could swear that M&S later became an independent clothes shop where I had my first Saturday xmas season job at 15!

Vegas - yeah - bad memories of gambling addiction in there - was another one around the corner iirc, on Lime St.

Love the pic of the stonemasons!

Cheers Medellin.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3597 on: May 7, 2020, 02:02:24 pm »
Aye the Futurist was on Lime street..shamefully neglected and left to rot & ultimately bulldozed.

I shudder looking at the Lime st station pic with the North Western hall behind, we used to do work there,all within HSE guidelines hanging out of windows harnessed up,maintenance work off a small ledge, not sure that would still be within their guidelines today tho.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3598 on: May 7, 2020, 02:15:09 pm »
Aye the Futurist was on Lime street..shamefully neglected and left to rot & ultimately bulldozed.
Yup - wasn't there a half-hearted attempt to preserve it and prevent the bulldozing of that whole row to make way for yet more student flats....?

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #3599 on: May 7, 2020, 04:45:42 pm »
Can’t see any safety rails on the edge of the cathedral roof there. 😳