Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 360505 times)

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Apple iPad.... awful name awful product
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2010, 11:33:14 pm »
this is the best showing i've seen of it so far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhKhN_91IAc

Thats just confirmed what i thought it was, a big iPod Touch.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2010, 11:41:35 pm »
when you see it close up in action it's obviously a touch

they get 10 hours of use out of in on a charge cause it's got 4 iphones inside it :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2010, 11:52:22 pm »
There's a version for women:

http://www.break.com/index/ipad14.html
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2010, 12:07:22 am »
http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Are they fucking kidding me. The opening of this video goes, "You know its true, when something exceeds your ability to understand how it works, it sort of becomes magical, and that's exactly what the iPad is." :lmao
ynwa

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2010, 12:41:55 am »
Are there a market for these sorts of products though? I mean a portable device like a phone with all they do suffices on your travels and a laptop suffices for work/net/multi media at home.

Is there a market for something that looks like its in the middle of them two or are Apple trying carve one out?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 01:10:35 am by killer_heels »

Offline Rotation

• fuck u. Rory's biggest fan.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pepe Reina is a Scouser...
« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2010, 01:07:30 am »
Are there a market for these sorts of products though? I mean a portable device like a phone with all they do suffices on your travels and a laptop suffices for work/net/multi media at home.

Is there a market for something that looks like its in the middle of them 2 or are Apple trying carve one out?
It's the I<3Shinythings market.

But in all seriousness, there is a market, unfortunately the market is already buying iPhones and macbooks.
ynwa

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2010, 01:10:08 am »
@killer-heels, tablet PCs have been around for a while, & it's not a massive market - as you say there's not much gap between the smartphone & laptop spaces. I guess Apple are either trying to invigorate that market, or compete with the netbook market (which itself is shrinking due the rise of the smartphone). Either way I think they'll fail, though I'm sure the Apple marketing machine will go into overdrive to try & ensure they don't, & marketing is one of the 3 things Apple do exceptionally well (the other Being designing great UIs and building nice looking, though not necessarily great specced, hardware).
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2010, 01:29:26 am »
The market for these is appolytes and soccer moms.  I still think it'll be more on scale with Apple TV as far as sales go.

so one question

can you transfer apps between this and the iphone and have it on both machines
me thinks they'd have to allow that or there'd be uproar

Another question is, if they have two versions of the same app, do you have to buy twice?

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2010, 01:57:16 am »
iPhone for Dom Jolly!

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #329 on: January 28, 2010, 02:03:45 am »
http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Are they fucking kidding me. The opening of this video goes, "You know its true, when something exceeds your ability to understand how it works, it sort of becomes magical, and that's exactly what the iPad is." :lmao

That really made me sick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: January 28, 2010, 02:46:58 am »
iPhone for Dom Jolly!
HELLO! YEH I'M IN THE APPLE SHOP! APPLE SHOP! YEH! PICKING UP THE IPAD! YEH! CIAO!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 02:49:22 am by scoresagain »

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #331 on: January 28, 2010, 05:00:20 am »
Just saw the Steve Jobs video. The man needs to learn how to dress. Wearing scruffy jeans and running shoes for a presentation looks like 1998.

His presentation was almost like a piss take. Like explaining it for 6 year olds.

Who the fuck would want to buy one bar the apple brown nose brigade?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2010, 08:51:37 am »
am i the only person who thinks the UI doesn't look right on the bigger screen? I expect it to actually look different from the iphone one, i just don't think it works
STFU and agree with me.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #333 on: January 28, 2010, 09:18:18 am »
am i the only person who thinks the UI doesn't look right on the bigger screen? I expect it to actually look different from the iphone one, i just don't think it works

Totally agree, after all the hype I am completely underwhelmed.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2010, 09:20:53 am »

Is there a market for something that looks like its in the middle of them two or are Apple trying carve one out?

Apple just made that market with this release.

I can't believe the amount of negativity towards something you've never tried. Yes, tried. Because I believe this is a gadget that you need to try to get a feeling of what it really is.

When I bought my first iPhone, i had no idea that I would use it the way I actually use it.

It's not about the physical gadget alone, it's about the content.

And with that content I believe this will be a very useful thingy to have around in my living room.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2010, 09:23:11 am »
myrlas is a fanboy ;D
STFU and agree with me.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2010, 09:31:48 am »
Wait until it gets jailbroken. Then they will fly off the shelves. Imagine getting a decent winterboad theme on it

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2010, 09:37:19 am »
Another aspect that is forgotten.

Gaming.

How big is the market for Nintendo DS/PSP and other "smaller" consoles? Pretty big.

iPad will of course steal from that segment as well. I expect loads of games specially made for this format, and the will be good ones as well.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2010, 09:39:24 am »
Keyboard dock $70
case/stand $40
usb lead $30
vga cable $30
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: January 28, 2010, 09:43:35 am »
Another aspect that is forgotten.

Gaming.

How big is the market for Nintendo DS/PSP and other "smaller" consoles? Pretty big.

iPad will of course steal from that segment as well. I expect loads of games specially made for this format, and the will be good ones as well.

I would expect some real time strategy games, like command and conquer to be made for this specifically, i reckon the interface could work well
STFU and agree with me.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #340 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:22 am »
I bought an ASUS netbook for Ł299 last year and it works pretty well, with a really comfortable keyboard.

For me episodes of television would look great on this iPad screen and I was wondering something....Sky Sports is now available on an Iphone for Ł4.99 a month (I think that's right)

-if the same offer was extented for the iPad (for less than Ł10 a month say) then that's pretty interesting, no?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: January 28, 2010, 09:49:48 am »
Not at all mate. It's for normal people not for Techies. It may surprise some in this thread but most people don't know or care what version of OS their phone has or what processor.

I am 'that' guy.

I still do not see why I should buy one.  I don't know what it does, I've read through this thread and all I can ascertain is that it's flat, tablet-like, can access itunes, and doesn't allow you to make phone calls.
It sounds very much like the Ipod touch, but of a size that allows you to watch movies on a bigger screen, or read an ibook, clumsily.

Can I take a stab in the dark, and venture that this device should have been called the ifacebook?
Seems like the most likely use for it, so unsocial socialites can sit in the corner of Starbucks and not have to talk to real people?
imeh

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: January 28, 2010, 09:59:02 am »
From Gizmodo, sums up some of my thoughts

Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.

A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2010, 10:03:59 am »

This sounds like a monstrous fuck-up, especially the lack of multi-tasking, flash-player, and no widescreen viewing.
Fuck me, it couldn't sound less appealing for Ł400+

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2010, 10:06:15 am »
You would have to have more money than sense to have one of these "lying" about the house ready for use.

What does it actually do that you would need one for use in the house anyway?

I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2010, 10:31:09 am »
You would have to have more money than sense to have one of these "lying" about the house ready for use.

What does it actually do that you would need one for use in the house anyway?

Web browsing, news reading, book reading. The form factor is very good in that light.

It's a bit of a games machine with a unique UI also.

It can also do lightweight e-mailing, social networking if that's your thing - it is for many - again in a nice form factor that suits lounging about, picking up, putting down, here there and everywhere. Laptops are clumsy in that respect.

You can use the thing as a remote control for Apple TV, Windows (remote mouse), iTunes, again if that's what you've got. I have used the iPhone version to great effect.

Someone before me said it's all about the content, and they're right. Micro applications and software plus services are changing the way we do things. This device kind of optimises that trend and just makes more things a bit more possible, while trying to push the way we use computers in a different and arguable better direction.

Tablets are here, tablets will stay. And in years to come, we'll all be using them for little lightweight computing activities as the form factor is natural. But we'll all probably still have PCs/Consoles too for the more powerful applications, and they'll probably all work harmoniously together - eventually. Apple pushing the boat out early doors as they did with the iPod and the iPhone, markets they'd never even ventured into before. That's not to say iPad will be a raging success, but the form factor will be regardless if Apple are the king of the castle.

:wave

Offline Chaztastic

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2010, 10:51:49 am »

Big, Ugly Bezel
Have you seen the bezel on this thing?! It's huge! I know you don't want to accidentally input a command when your thumb is holding it, but come on.

No Multitasking
This is a backbreaker. If this is supposed to be a replacement for netbooks, how can it possibly not have multitasking? Are you saying I can't listen to Pandora while writing a document? I can't have my Twitter app open at the same time as my browser? I can't have AIM open at the same time as my email? Are you kidding me? This alone guarantees that I will not buy this product.

No Cameras
No front facing camera is one thing. But no back facing camera either? Why the hell not? I can't imagine what the downside was for including at least one camera. Could this thing not handle video iChat?

Touch Keyboard
So much for Apple revolutionizing tablet inputs; this is the same big, ugly touchscreen keyboard we've seen on other tablets, and unless you're lying on the couch with your knees propping it up, it'll be awkward to use.

No HDMI Out
Want to watch those nice HD videos you downloaded from iTunes on your TV? Too damned bad! If you were truly loyal, you'd just buy an AppleTV already.

The Name iPad
Get ready for Maxi pad jokes, and lots of 'em!

No Flash
No Flash is annoying but not a dealbreaker on the iPhone and iPod Touch. On something that's supposed to be closer to a netbook or laptop? It will leave huge, gaping holes in websites. I hope you don't care about streaming video! God knows not many casual internet users do. Oh wait, nevermind, they all do.

Adapters, Adapters, Adapters
So much for those smooth lines. If you want to plug anything into this, such as a digital camera, you need all sorts of ugly adapters. You need an adapter for USB for god's sake.

Update: Why stop at 8? Here are more things we are discovering that suck about the iPad.

It's Not Widescreen
Widescreen movies look lousy on this thing thanks to its 4:3 screen, according to Blam, who checked out some of Star Trek on one. It's like owning a 4:3 TV all over again!

Doesn't Support T-Mobile 3G
Sure, it's "unlocked." But it won't work on T-Mobile, and it uses microSIMs that literally no one else uses.

A Closed App Ecosystem
The iPad only runs apps from the App Store. The same App Store that is notorious for banning apps for no real reason, such as Google Voice. Sure, netbooks might not have touchscreens, but you can install whatever software you'd like on them. Want to run a different browser on your iPad? Too bad!

I think he likes it and will be getting one.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2010, 10:56:08 am »
I would expect some real time strategy games, like command and conquer to be made for this specifically, i reckon the interface could work well

RTS games on a good tablet MAC like this would be iiiiinnnnsane, with a good touch interface to select units and stuff it would be VERY impressive

EDIT: the above is, of course, only possible, if the machine can handle it, ie: sufficient hardware specs...which I doubt it will...unless its C&C: Red Alert 1 hahahaha
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 11:03:05 am by PhilV »

Offline Grobbelaar

• Anny Roader
  • Rafa is Boss
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2010, 10:57:51 am »
Massive fail by apple there. Usually likes what Apple comes up with but this was just plain shite.

Offline rotistgeil

• Unflabbable in the face of lesbian scenes in public park.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2010, 11:09:37 am »
iPad, always on. Apple are so fucking boring.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:59 am »
Its like they used a rolling pin on an Itouch.  I wont be buying one, to be fair i couldn't afford one anyway but if I could I would not buy it. 
Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 28, 2010, 11:23:13 am »
STFU and agree with me.

Offline myrlas