Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1040150 times)

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9600 on: July 18, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »
The problem with the Frey scene is that we hadn't built up to a moment where we feel utter hatred for them at this point. If something like that happened a few episodes after RW then yes.

The Red Wedding feels so long ago that I'm not angered by the Freys at this point and so whilst their death was enjoyable it didn't have an emotional impact.

Still, it was a creative alternative to LSH.

Yep.

We already knew Walder Frey, his sons and Roose Bolton were all dead prior to this season starting. We had already celebrated their demise.  They were all the main players at the Red Wedding.

The Frey scene last night was a hollow victory for the Starks.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9601 on: July 18, 2017, 06:18:42 pm »
The problem with the Frey scene is that we hadn't built up to a moment where we feel utter hatred for them at this point. If something like that happened a few episodes after RW then yes.

The Red Wedding feels so long ago that I'm not angered by the Freys at this point and so whilst their death was enjoyable it didn't have an emotional impact.

Still, it was a creative alternative to LSH.

You're kidding I was jumping up and down watching it. I had never forgiven the Frey's for killing Robb Stark, proper made up winter has come for that particular house.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9602 on: July 18, 2017, 06:24:36 pm »
Good TV is immersive, that ginger minge broke the spell, sucking the viewer back to reality. All a bit knowing and full of itself.

Top knot wanker was a similar faux pas.

I was too busy being moved by Masie Williams's acting to even be bothered about it to be honest. The sadness in her when the boys started talking about their families, was really brilliantly executed. It still remains one of my favourite parts of that opening episode.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #9603 on: July 18, 2017, 06:56:04 pm »
I was too busy being moved by Masie Williams's acting to even be bothered about it to be honest. The sadness in her when the boys started talking about their families, was really brilliantly executed. It still remains one of my favourite parts of that opening episode.
I hated the Sheeran cameo but that was still such a great scene. Really nice to see some warmth in this series every now and then.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #9604 on: July 18, 2017, 07:05:12 pm »
I hated the Sheeran cameo but that was still such a great scene. Really nice to see some warmth in this series every now and then.
he's since deleted his twitter.

Offline FaitAccompli

• Kopite
« Reply #9605 on: July 18, 2017, 10:01:25 pm »
It's not just about her.

If she realised (or was told, as you want) Jon wasn't a bastard, she'd almost certainly treat him (and Ned) differently.

Even if just one of the kids noticed it, that she was treating him better than a bastard deserves, or not bothered that Ned had been unfaithful anymore, the news that he wasn't a bastard might get out, and then the questions about his parentage would begin.

Ned sacrifices his own honour to save his sister's kid (and without knowing it, the whole Seven Kingdoms, potentially)and while I agree that Catelyn is utterly trustworthy, its not just about keeping your mouth shut.

The way he did it was the most realistic way to get people to believe the child was his.

I agree and even it's not even about Catelyn's trustworthiness or whether she would be able to sufficiently keep up an act of hating Jon, it's the fact that even if Ned found the most secret of places to tell Catelyn about Jon, you could pretty much guarantee that somehow one of Varys' little birds would have overheard and got the word out.

Offline LiverLuke

• RAWK's Respectable Poster Boy :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9606 on: July 18, 2017, 10:41:38 pm »
Eddard of House Sheeran to Bran: "When your legs dont work like they used to before"

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9607 on: July 18, 2017, 10:46:38 pm »
I think you're right. So the White Walkers having three zombie giants doesn't really make much sense.

But, whatever, that's just the way the writing on this show has gone the last couple of seasons. Sloppy.
I don't have a problem with that. The Walkers reanimate corpses. They could have just found a giant burial site on their way south and got them up for a bit of craic.

Offline Chavvie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9608 on: July 18, 2017, 11:15:09 pm »
I don't have a problem with that. The Walkers reanimate corpses. They could have just found a giant burial site on their way south and got them up for a bit of craic.

The close up was of undead Wun Wun wasn't it. He had an eye out.

Of course its plausible that they reanimated giants

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9609 on: July 18, 2017, 11:20:38 pm »
A couple of minor bugbears (apart from Sheeran's appearance that is) in that episode I had were Euron Greyjoy's outfit and a very minor, but noticable change in Dragonstone, which I will get to in a bit. So, that outfit. A bit too hip, brash and trendy for the setting, no? I mean, he looked like he's a member of a modern rock band or something. It just clashed with the usually impeccable costume designs we're used to seeing on the show. I mean, he was wearing skinny leather trousers with a taper on them for fuck sake.
  Then there was the very small visual change Stannis' war room in Dragonrock. Did someone sneak in there when it was abandoned and recarve the dragon on the wall? It's a very different design to the previous, realistic-looking archeological aesthetic of the previous seasons, which I didn't think needed changing at all, as it looked much better.   

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9610 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:48 pm »

I'm not sure it was Wun-Wun. Now that wouldn't make any sense at all. Plus Wun Wun was killed at Winterfell and was shot in his right eye. The other giants were killed at the wall, and the walkers have yet to reach it. The knowledge of the walkers was known by then, so again, it makes no sense as they'd have burned the bodies.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #9611 on: July 18, 2017, 11:58:19 pm »
Yep.

We already knew Walder Frey, his sons and Roose Bolton were all dead prior to this season starting. We had already celebrated their demise.  They were all the main players at the Red Wedding.

The Frey scene last night was a hollow victory for the Starks.

Such is the nature of payoff in the Game of Thrones world though. It's been written that way by GRRM.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the only time a bad guy died that I really emphatically enjoyed was Ramsay.

I doubt I'll feel particularly thrilled when Cersei finally bites it either, nor Littlefinger (if that actually ends up happening).

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9612 on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:17 am »
Such is the nature of payoff in the Game of Thrones world though. It's been written that way by GRRM.

I don't know about you guys, but I think the only time a bad guy died that I really emphatically enjoyed was Ramsay.

I doubt I'll feel particularly thrilled when Cersei finally bites it either, nor Littlefinger (if that actually ends up happening).

Joffrey for me. The little c*nt
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9613 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:08 am »
Loved Ramsays death but I also loved Ramsay as a character.

I adore evil little fuckers in shows like this, and he played it brilliantly aswell.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9614 on: July 19, 2017, 12:25:46 am »
A couple of minor bugbears (apart from Sheeran's appearance that is) in that episode I had were Euron Greyjoy's outfit and a very minor, but noticable change in Dragonstone, which I will get to in a bit. So, that outfit. A bit too hip, brash and trendy for the setting, no? I mean, he looked like he's a member of a modern rock band or something. It just clashed with the usually impeccable costume designs we're used to seeing on the show. I mean, he was wearing skinny leather trousers with a taper on them for fuck sake.
  Then there was the very small visual change Stannis' war room in Dragonrock. Did someone sneak in there when it was abandoned and recarve the dragon on the wall? It's a very different design to the previous, realistic-looking archeological aesthetic of the previous seasons, which I didn't think needed changing at all, as it looked much better.
I thought exactly the same but then remember he has been around for a long while so those clothes were probably not typical Westerosi and he was trying to look impressive for Cersei, it did look a little too modern tough.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:29:28 am by Lastrador »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9615 on: July 19, 2017, 12:28:48 am »
Joffrey's death was probably the most satisfying for me, it looked incredible painful and he deserved every second of it. Meryn Trant death by Arya was appropriately brutal too.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
Game of Thrones - The TV Show; Spoilers are Coming
« Reply #9616 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:21 am »
Euron looked exactly like a rebellious captain of a fleet should look. Everyone else in the throne room is usually immaculately turned out, he's a nice contrast. Of what little we've seen of him so far I think he's great.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #9617 on: July 19, 2017, 12:48:23 am »
Joffrey's death was probably the most satisfying for me, it looked incredible painful and he deserved every second of it. Meryn Trant death by Arya was appropriately brutal too.

Mmm not for me. For me that whole thing was overshadowed by the blame cast on Tyrion. Plus no one actually wronged by Joffrey got any vengeance from it.

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9618 on: July 19, 2017, 01:03:33 am »
Dreadful episode ... too caught up in it's own importance. Although it's quite the norm to have some dreadful episodes during the course of seasons - but we have been spoilt last two seasons when every single episode was spot on.

The Ed Sheeran cameo was pathetic. No need for him to over expose himself the way he is. The show's creators had no need to do that either.

Putting him in the show just took you out of the world you are meant to be engrossed him.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:29:24 am by AaronSingh25 »

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #9619 on: July 19, 2017, 01:17:24 am »
Mmm not for me. For me that whole thing was overshadowed by the blame cast on Tyrion. Plus no one actually wronged by Joffrey got any vengeance from it.
Tyrion said it better.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/e4Uq8O5ZhUA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/e4Uq8O5ZhUA</a>
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:38:32 am by Lastrador »

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9620 on: July 19, 2017, 09:01:13 am »
That price doesn't seem worth it to me. Cat would have kept the secret, I have doubt. She's not the sort to slip, anymore than Ned himself.

Wasn't it mostly down to Cat that the whole war started when she kidnapped Tyrion? I wouldn't have trusted her as somehow it would have slipped out.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9621 on: July 19, 2017, 09:21:54 am »
Loved Ramsays death but I also loved Ramsay as a character.

I adore evil little fuckers in shows like this, and he played it brilliantly aswell.

I'm with you, I love a villain and especially the nasty ones. Makes their ultimate demise all the more satisfying.

Ramsay, Joffers, Frey and Trant were the characters on GoT that had me groaning 'oh no' every time they appeared on screen (in a good way).

By the way, I've noticed the synopsis for next weeks episode warns of Violence and scenes of a sexual nature. Happy days, i thought the writers were going soft on us.  Less Ed Sheeren - more skull cracking and tits and bums.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9622 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:53 am »
Wasn't it mostly down to Cat that the whole war started when she kidnapped Tyrion? I wouldn't have trusted her as somehow it would have slipped out.

Cersei killing the hand of the king and then Jaime throwing Bran out of the window are what started it, though Cat certainly didn't help.

I don't think Euron is going to offer Cersei Tyrion's head, he wants to ally with her so he can go after Tyrion, Theon, Yara and Dany alongside Cersei and her army, I don't see him trying to assassinate one of that lot without her.

That said, I have no idea what he'd be offering, maybe he'll kill the sand snakes as someone said earlier? I struggle to see him attacking anywhere else as most places are too difficult to attack from the sea.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9623 on: July 19, 2017, 10:15:55 am »
Maybe the Night King doesn't even need to be next to the bodies he re-animates....?

A zombie Wun Wun marching towards the wall though would make literally no sense whatsoever.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9624 on: July 19, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
Maybe the Night King doesn't even need to be next to the bodies he re-animates....?

A zombie Wun Wun marching towards the wall though would make literally no sense whatsoever.

It didn't even look like Wun Wun and the actor playing that giant died recently, it wasn't him.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #9625 on: July 19, 2017, 10:38:59 am »
Sky Atlantic got over 2m viewers for the 2am showing of Game of Thrones thats massive for 2am behind the Sky paywall I bet there was even more watching illegal streams

Just imagine what the ratings would be on say the BBC if it was given the Taboo time slot 9pm on a Saturday night I imagine the ratings would be big, but sadly it will never be.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:48:45 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #9626 on: July 19, 2017, 10:48:02 am »
Ed fucking Sheeran, dear me.  Straight after the Jim Broadbent scene as well.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #9627 on: July 19, 2017, 11:16:12 am »
You want a list of character deaths on GoT along with how they died? Of course you don't!
Well here's one anyway. 

http://theweek.com/articles/711126/game-thrones-book-dead
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9628 on: July 19, 2017, 11:22:41 am »
He may as well have looked directly into the camera it was that out of place..

Apart from that it was a decent warm up episode I thought. I really need to go back and watch it from scratch again but it's such a commitment. Might delve into the books soon.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9629 on: July 19, 2017, 12:05:18 pm »

Definitely wasn't Wun Wun.  Common sense there.

Also wasn't the giants at the wall.  Doesn't make sense geographically.

Clearly over the years, there's been a lot more giants north of the wall than just Wun Wun and the others at the wall.

Also we probably haven't seen the full army of the dead yet, but now we will with the marching toward the wall.

These giants could have been resurrected years ago.....when there was more giants wandering around.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9630 on: July 19, 2017, 03:28:10 pm »
Cersei killing the hand of the king and then Jaime throwing Bran out of the window are what started it, though Cat certainly didn't help.

I don't think Euron is going to offer Cersei Tyrion's head, he wants to ally with her so he can go after Tyrion, Theon, Yara and Dany alongside Cersei and her army, I don't see him trying to assassinate one of that lot without her.

That said, I have no idea what he'd be offering, maybe he'll kill the sand snakes as someone said earlier? I struggle to see him attacking anywhere else as most places are too difficult to attack from the sea.

Littlefinger manipulated Lysa into killing Jon Arryn.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Schmidt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9631 on: July 19, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »
Littlefinger manipulated Lysa into killing Jon Arryn.

Ah shit of course, I forgot about that. Wasn't Cersei involved though as Jon had learned about her and Jaime? I thought she got Littlefinger to do that for her (plus he had his own motivations for it), I could be wrong though as it's been a while.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9632 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:35 pm »
Definitely wasn't Wun Wun.  Common sense there.

Also wasn't the giants at the wall.  Doesn't make sense geographically.

Clearly over the years, there's been a lot more giants north of the wall than just Wun Wun and the others at the wall.

Also we probably haven't seen the full army of the dead yet, but now we will with the marching toward the wall.

These giants could have been resurrected years ago.....when there was more giants wandering around.

Wun Wun was the last of the known giants,Mag the mighty and Dongo died when they tried to breach the wall at Castle Black.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9633 on: July 19, 2017, 03:41:55 pm »
Ah shit of course, I forgot about that. Wasn't Cersei involved though as Jon had learned about her and Jaime? I thought she got Littlefinger to do that for her (plus he had his own motivations for it), I could be wrong though as it's been a while.

No,Lysa sent Catelyn a letter blaming the Lannisters but that was just part of the fingers bigger scheme,he is now defacto head of that house.If he could talk Sansa into his bed the next one to have an 'accident' would be Robin Arryn.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9634 on: July 19, 2017, 03:45:56 pm »
Wun Wun was the last of the known giants,Mag the mighty and Dongo died when they tried to breach the wall at Castle Black.

Yep.....known giants.  Who knows what the night king came across in the wilderness beyond the wall - more giants?

Anyway, bottom line, they're not any of the 3 giants mentioned in your post, so there were obviously more that had been killed at some point and resurrected.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #9635 on: July 19, 2017, 03:48:45 pm »
The White walkers seem to be marching around in circles weren't they first shown reaching the wall in series 2?
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9636 on: July 19, 2017, 04:00:04 pm »
The White walkers seem to be marching around in circles weren't they first shown reaching the wall in series 2?

They scouting party weren't far off in the very first episode.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9637 on: July 19, 2017, 04:01:19 pm »

I think that was at The Fist Of The First Men in season 2 mate - though they've been on the march collecting more 'undead' since to grow their army, and are now marching on The Wall...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline JongWK

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9638 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:23 pm »
Bastard

My fucking ASDA delivery came like two minutes into it, the sloppy fucker. Anything else happen around that sort of time?

There was a cold open with the Freys.

Spoiler
Arya poisoned every single (male) Frey of relevance, disguised as Walder Frey. She did stop his wife/widow from drinking the poison, though, so she's not gone full grimdark psycho.
[close]
"I look at him doing all sorts of crazy shit and mostly I burst out laughing at his insane genius.
I mean, if his first reaction to a ball bouncing in front of him 40 yards from goal is 'I'm going to whack this into the net from here', you just have to laugh at the sheer improbability of it all."
~~Ray K, on Luis Suarez (Liverpool 5 - Norwich 1)

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #9639 on: July 19, 2017, 04:07:46 pm »
Bastard

My fucking ASDA delivery came like two minutes into it, the sloppy fucker. Anything else happen around that sort of time?

Spoiler
As red84 said, it showed the Frey massacre, followed by white walkers coming out the cloud. Then it was Bran arriving at the wall
[close]