Author Topic: These weird little bluetooth speaker things  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
These weird little bluetooth speaker things
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:01:52 pm »
So I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to speakers. Always based my setups round a PC or similar, and depending on soundcard have had a variety of 2.1 or 5.1 systems over the years, usually Logitech.

That's not the way things are going now though, and I'm in the market for a bluetooth system to sit somewhere it would be impractical to run wires to. Given what I've always gone for before I was originally looking at something along these lines:

£65.

It's only got to fill a smallish bedroom so I don't need anything more really. But I'm noticing more and more that people are giving rave reviews to things like this:

£100. You can apparently link 2 if you want a stereo setup.

I've never owned anything like it nor heard the sound etc. I get that it's got benefits like portability that I'm unlikely to be bothered with in the short term (but it could end up in the garden in summer).

So is this the future of small-room speakers?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline marcus-g

• the unfriendly ghost
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: These weird little bluetooth speaker things
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 07:28:04 pm »
Never really been a fan of bluetooth speakers in the past. didnt think they could possibly have much power. My mind changed christmas morning when my lad started using the one he had been nagging me for for months. Talk about loud. The batteries seem to last forever too.

This is the one i got him. Bought one for myself since

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Special-Bluetooth-Portable-Speaker-Black/dp/B06XGTYJ4X/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1519673076&sr=1-1&keywords=jbl+flip&dpID=41BVIWVuF%252BL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 09:14:36 pm »

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 07:51:03 am »
I have a Sony SRS XB3. Smashing speaker and two can be paired.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 11:41:54 am »
Much better to get a wifi based system like Sonos I would have thought, less issues with audio delay (especially if using for video). Much more expensive though...

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 08:00:52 am »
I have a UE boom 2.

The battery life on mine is atrocious. Lasts one hour.

Don't know if that's standard or I got a bad one.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 06:46:40 pm »
Agree with the comment about the Sonos, the sonos play 1 is about £150 now.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 02:29:23 pm »
If you're just using it in one room in the house don't go for bluetooth speaker. You'll get more bang for your buck with a Sonos or similar wifi speaker.  We bought a Sonos Play One (with alexa built in)at the start of the year to see if it was any good.  We now have four of them dotted around the house and will keep adding to the system over time. Absolutely amazing sound and versatility for the price.

We have a few Bluetooth speakers but primarily use them for the bathroom or if we're out in the garden. Our Bose soundlink is decent given its size.  Also have a Cambridge Audio Minx Go which is really good for the money. 

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 09:44:16 pm »
If you're just using it in one room in the house don't go for bluetooth speaker. You'll get more bang for your buck with a Sonos or similar wifi speaker.  We bought a Sonos Play One (with alexa built in)at the start of the year to see if it was any good.  We now have four of them dotted around the house and will keep adding to the system over time. Absolutely amazing sound and versatility for the price.

We have a few Bluetooth speakers but primarily use them for the bathroom or if we're out in the garden. Our Bose soundlink is decent given its size.  Also have a Cambridge Audio Minx Go which is really good for the money. 

Can you turn individual speakers on and off, whilst playing continuously from your central point (iPod or whatever) if - for instance - you're moving from room to room?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 09:59:34 pm »
You can group them to all play the same thing and then remove whatever one you want, I guess.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 1, 2018, 11:49:54 am »
Can you turn individual speakers on and off, whilst playing continuously from your central point (iPod or whatever) if - for instance - you're moving from room to room?

Yup. You can group them to play the same thing and make adjustments to each room. From the app you can control the volume levels of each speaker as well. I literally can't fault them at the price and I'm a fussy fucker when it comes to speakers - I have about 20 different types of speaker in my house ranging from Bluetooth bose to Genelec Studio monitors and full PA systems.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 11:37:57 am »
In work we're setting up a new small restaurant.  I've been tasked with finding out the best options for music.  In our other ones we've got ipads wired to a small amp which are then wired to old school speakers.

The boss has asked me to look into wireless solutions. It's all pretty new to me.  I've discovered I have choices between Bluetooth and wireless speakers.  Can someone give me some pro's and cons of each? We will be running the music from Spotify on the ipad (also our till) and will need to run only two speakers from it.  Can this be achieved wirelessly? Is there need for an amplifier? Are there Bluetooth amplifiers?

The whole dining area is around 50 square meters and it only needs to be background noise not pumping.  We will be doing a huge fit out so all options can be considered. The budget isn't too big for this.

Also wondering if these speakers need power?

As far as my research has gone so far the options are Bluetooth,  sonos,  airplay, spotifyconnect.

Would love some advise if anyone knows their speakers.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 01:57:34 pm »
In work we're setting up a new small restaurant.  I've been tasked with finding out the best options for music.  In our other ones we've got ipads wired to a small amp which are then wired to old school speakers.

The boss has asked me to look into wireless solutions. It's all pretty new to me.  I've discovered I have choices between Bluetooth and wireless speakers.  Can someone give me some pro's and cons of each? We will be running the music from Spotify on the ipad (also our till) and will need to run only two speakers from it.  Can this be achieved wirelessly? Is there need for an amplifier? Are there Bluetooth amplifiers?

The whole dining area is around 50 square meters and it only needs to be background noise not pumping.  We will be doing a huge fit out so all options can be considered. The budget isn't too big for this.

As far as my research has gone so far the options are Bluetooth,  sonos,  airplay, spotifyconnect.

I don't own them myself but the answer is probably Sonos. Everyone I know that has them loves them.

You can add speakers as necessary and they don't need a separate amp, and it integrates with Spotify.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 01:59:35 pm »
Love my Sonos Play 3, sound out of it is great. Keep meaning to order a couple of Play 1s for the bedroom and study to add to it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 02:00:46 pm »

If you're doing a full fit out then surely a wired solution with a few speakers dotted about would make more sense?

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 08:54:11 pm »
I don't own them myself but the answer is probably Sonos. Everyone I know that has them loves them.

You can add speakers as necessary and they don't need a separate amp, and it integrates with Spotify.

Thanks for the reply,  yes it's looking like a wireless speaker is more suited than Bluetooth.  These look like they need power too but that's easier to tap into existing wires than run new speaker wire. 
If you're doing a full fit out then surely a wired solution with a few speakers dotted about would make more sense?

The walls and ceiling are the only things staying so we'd still need to run the wires in capping. Aesthetically I think wireless would look far better then we wouldn't need the amp or plug into the ipad till.

Thanks for the replies

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 10:42:48 am »

Years ago, I used to assist a guy who installed PAs and sound systems in shops and restaurants.  Did some troubleshooting stuff too.  It's astounding that small restaurants still go for the old systems when wireless options exist.

Regarding Bluetooth... don't.  It's not what you need. Bluetooth is more suited to portable speakers you intend to move about or take out of the house with you. 

I have a sonos system and love it. It's the ideal setup for a small restaurant too.

The beauty of Sonos for what you're after is:
1) There's no wiring to be done - you can just mount them to a wall and plug them in and you've got a fully connected sound system.
2) No amps are needed.
3) Connect to a phone and have curated playlists play from Spotify/Apple Music wirelessly. If you have large bookings or private parties they can give you a playlist in advance.
4) The clarity and volume are incredible for such small speakers. 
5) From the app you can change the volume of individual speakers as well as the overall volume.  Very handy in a restaurant if someone sitting close to a speaker complains.  It's done quickly and easily on the sonos app without having to entrust a poor waiter with blindly fiddling at an amp.
6) If something goes wrong with a speaker, they're easy to replace without having to call out an audio engineer (putting my mate out of a job!!).
7) The system calibrates itself to optimise the sound to the space that it's in with a little user input (again, putting my mate out of a job).

Without knowing the layout of your restaurant, I would guess that 4 Play:1 speakers (£150 each) would suffice in a small restaurant to give a nice ambience. If it didn't, new speakers are easily added to the system simply by plugging in.  Wall mounts can be found on eBay, and once you know where you want to put them, any spark could power them up.

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 01:25:20 pm »
Years ago, I used to assist a guy who installed PAs and sound systems in shops and restaurants.  Did some troubleshooting stuff too.  It's astounding that small restaurants still go for the old systems when wireless options exist.

Regarding Bluetooth... don't.  It's not what you need. Bluetooth is more suited to portable speakers you intend to move about or take out of the house with you. 

I have a sonos system and love it. It's the ideal setup for a small restaurant too.

The beauty of Sonos for what you're after is:
1) There's no wiring to be done - you can just mount them to a wall and plug them in and you've got a fully connected sound system.
2) No amps are needed.
3) Connect to a phone and have curated playlists play from Spotify/Apple Music wirelessly. If you have large bookings or private parties they can give you a playlist in advance.
4) The clarity and volume are incredible for such small speakers. 
5) From the app you can change the volume of individual speakers as well as the overall volume.  Very handy in a restaurant if someone sitting close to a speaker complains.  It's done quickly and easily on the sonos app without having to entrust a poor waiter with blindly fiddling at an amp.
6) If something goes wrong with a speaker, they're easy to replace without having to call out an audio engineer (putting my mate out of a job!!).
7) The system calibrates itself to optimise the sound to the space that it's in with a little user input (again, putting my mate out of a job).

Without knowing the layout of your restaurant, I would guess that 4 Play:1 speakers (£150 each) would suffice in a small restaurant to give a nice ambience. If it didn't, new speakers are easily added to the system simply by plugging in.  Wall mounts can be found on eBay, and once you know where you want to put them, any spark could power them up.

Thanks for the insight mate. Pretty set now on these Play 1 wireless speakers.  The new problem now is our Chinese boss (we're a Chinese restaurant)  wants to get some crappy Chinese alternative in for a quarter the price but I'm gonna have to dig my heels in with this one.  Are there any decent cheaper alternatives?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 08:06:27 am »
Thanks for the insight mate. Pretty set now on these Play 1 wireless speakers.  The new problem now is our Chinese boss (we're a Chinese restaurant)  wants to get some crappy Chinese alternative in for a quarter the price but I'm gonna have to dig my heels in with this one.  Are there any decent cheaper alternatives?

None I know of that will deliver on sound and match it's great ecosystem. £600 to kit out a restaurant with a great PA is nothing. Years ago we'd have had small coffee shops paying more than that.

Also, if the venture fails, selling on the sonos will be simple and you'll recover at least 2/3 of the outlay.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 02:21:47 pm »
Any recommendations for a small portable Bluetooth speaker sub-£50?

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 09:51:43 pm »
Any recommendations for a small Bluetooth speaker sub-£50?

I have an Amazon Echo and a number of echo dots around the house, works really well and does a lot more than music. Sound quality is really good although no idea how it compares to other similarly priced speakers. They can also Bluetooth to amps, tv, xbox etc.. you can create groups of speakers and ask it to play music everywhere/upstairs/downstairs/front toom or whatever you configure.