Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 301109 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #720 on: July 21, 2016, 09:29:42 pm »
Ralleh..

Where you trespassed on the railway.
Ours was by Kirkdale station,where Nixons factory was.
Anyone remember that?

..or the Olleh..which was waste ground,usually after where houses where knocked down.
The Blackies you mean..that was what we called the Ralleh were we were..it was like the Black Hills of Dakota.  A kids dream...it was where they used to load the tanks onto the trains just by Townsend Lane....the loading ramp was still there..there was a scrapheap for cars and the bin depot was there too. Loved that place....we lived like street urchins. ;D

Olleh's all over the city when I was a kid..and prefab houses....like these on Park lane.

Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #721 on: July 21, 2016, 09:43:29 pm »
The Blackies you mean..that was what we called the Ralleh were we were..it was like the Black Hills of Dakota.  A kids dream...it was where they used to load the tanks onto the trains just by Townsend Lane....the loading ramp was still there..there was a scrapheap for cars and the bin depot was there too. Loved that place....we lived like street urchins. ;D

Olleh's all over the city when I was a kid..and prefab houses....like these on Park lane.

A ralleh to us was a railway embankment,sort of similar to this..

You would grab a piece of visqueen or Formica etc and slide down it.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #722 on: July 21, 2016, 10:18:48 pm »
A ralleh to us was a railway embankment,sort of similar to this..

You would grab a piece of visqueen or Formica etc and slide down it.
You had the canal too didn't you.  My mate and I ride our bicycles all over the country and we see places and we've both said...we lived out here as kids we'd be dead.

Ours was different as the railway line was on the top of the cutting...we raced bikes down..anything that could slide...the best part of the Blackies were the allotments along one section..we never went hungry..we knew every plot that had fruit...we were feral. ;D

There was a tree there that was at least 80 foot high and we made a swing..as the rope was so long we had to climb to the top and then jump..abar 30 foot of free fall till the rope started to come to it's end and then it would swing...fuckin nuts. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #723 on: July 22, 2016, 09:57:01 am »
Dave,
The ralleh was a bit different by ours.
Sliding down on a piece of plastic from the top,you initially had to start your own slope thro the overgrown grass.
When you got to the bottom-it was quite a pace when the channel was made,you hit a sandstone wall which was between 6" & 12" high..
A real extreme 'sport' coz if you overshot that small ledge/wall there was a drop of approx 60ft.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #724 on: July 22, 2016, 09:40:57 pm »
Without wishing to bring down the tone, and apropos of nothing, I recall a prophylactic sheath (cheers Partridge) being referred to as a Sponky. Not heard that since the early 80's.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #725 on: July 23, 2016, 09:11:38 am »
Without wishing to bring down the tone, and apropos of nothing, I recall a prophylactic sheath (cheers Partridge) being referred to as a Sponky. Not heard that since the early 80's.
For fucks sake la...Ste, there's Alpen all over me laptop here..I'm chocking laughing...you twat. :lmao

I haven't heard that in yonks. :D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #726 on: July 23, 2016, 09:14:56 am »
Dave,
The ralleh was a bit different by ours.
Sliding down on a piece of plastic from the top,you initially had to start your own slope thro the overgrown grass.
When you got to the bottom-it was quite a pace when the channel was made,you hit a sandstone wall which was between 6" & 12" high..
A real extreme 'sport' coz if you overshot that small ledge/wall there was a drop of approx 60ft.
Kids know no fear...I'm amazed we made it to our late teens. ;D

I recall being on the top floor, the rafters actually...5 floors up in this burnt out house and we were walking on the rafters with nothing but air between us and the ground. At one part we had to hop over a two foot gap as the rafters were burnt away. ;D  A normal Scouse kids upbringing. ;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #727 on: July 23, 2016, 09:18:04 am »
.... Sponky. Not heard that since the early 80's.

Not heard that one, though I left town in '79 so perhaps it was an 80's thing.

Back in the late 60's and into the 70's through my teenage years I'm pretty sure we used to call them a Johnny.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #728 on: July 23, 2016, 09:31:25 am »

I recall being on the top floor, the rafters actually...5 floors up in this burnt out house and we were walking on the rafters with nothing but air between us and the ground. At one part we had to hop over a two foot gap as the rafters were burnt away. ;D  A normal Scouse kids upbringing. ;D

Crazy aye!
The things you'd do most kids wouldn't believe you today.
We had proper running street battles,anything up to 50 or 60 kids fighting each other for...wait for it..fucking bommy wood!
Turf wars between youngsters were common.

Sponky! :lmao one I'd forgotten too.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: July 23, 2016, 11:10:05 am »
Back in the late 60's and into the 70's through my teenage years I'm pretty sure we used to call them a Johnny.

That's what they're still called now.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #730 on: July 23, 2016, 02:10:38 pm »
For fucks sake la...Ste, there's Alpen all over me laptop here..I'm chocking laughing...you twat. :lmao

I haven't heard that in yonks. :D

Glad to hear a small chuckle resulted from the memory Dave. Hope the keyboard recovers.  ;)

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: July 23, 2016, 06:05:27 pm »

Yep that's what they were known as to us teens in the 70 s and also the lack of using one always prompted the classic ..... " did you get off at edge hill "

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: July 23, 2016, 06:10:38 pm »
Sponky haha. Memorable.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: July 23, 2016, 06:12:44 pm »

We camped down Garston shore and early morning would climb on the landing lights that go over the river to have hot knives heated with a camping stove. Walking back stoned was an experience.

Offline AshLFC

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #734 on: July 25, 2016, 09:01:12 pm »
Not sure if this has been post already, but when i was in school, we used to call trainers 'trabs'......I still say it now again, but people look at me like  :-\

Is it just me, or does anyone else say the same..or does everyone just say trainees?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: July 25, 2016, 11:10:17 pm »
Not sure if this has been post already, but when i was in school, we used to call trainers 'trabs'......I still say it now again, but people look at me like  :-\

Is it just me, or does anyone else say the same..or does everyone just say trainees?

Still hear the word trabs , probably first heard it in the late 80s

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: July 26, 2016, 01:29:39 am »
Not overly proud of this but when driving recently, and becoming irate at an overweight woman who was not blessed with the best looks, I found myself calling her a 'fat sweat' which I hadn't heard in years

The insult was muttered inside my car, windows were up, no offence was caused. Trust me she was oblivious.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: July 26, 2016, 01:38:43 am »
Jigger

Couldn't stop a pig in a jig.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #738 on: July 26, 2016, 09:56:16 am »
Not overly proud of this but when driving recently, and becoming irate at an overweight woman who was not blessed with the best looks, I found myself calling her a 'fat sweat' which I hadn't heard in years

The insult was muttered inside my car, windows were up, no offence was caused. Trust me she was oblivious.

"Got an arse like a Bombay money lender?"
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline BossThaLa82

• Main Stander
« Reply #739 on: July 26, 2016, 10:18:32 am »

Yeah I always say a pair of trabs or webb's.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #740 on: July 26, 2016, 10:35:45 am »
Yeah I always say a pair of trabs or webb's.

Yep trabs all day.

Another variation..

Webbed..could mean drunk or sometimes heard some refer to being beaten up.

Offline BossThaLa82

• Main Stander
« Reply #741 on: July 26, 2016, 10:56:58 am »
Yep trabs all day.

Another variation..

Webbed..could mean drunk or sometimes heard some refer to being beaten up.

Yeah or another one is i Bladderd him or he got bladderd in a fight.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #742 on: July 26, 2016, 11:10:13 am »
"Ye fuckin blert".

Offline BossThaLa82

• Main Stander
« Reply #743 on: July 26, 2016, 11:14:12 am »
"Ye fuckin blert".

Haha cracker that one, nob stain is a funny one too although not sure if that's exclusively scouse to be honest.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #744 on: July 26, 2016, 11:34:55 am »
"Ye fuckin blert".

😄
This sketch makes me laugh,from 4mins mate is what you're looking for.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pryjv
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:37:55 am by Medellin »

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #745 on: July 26, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »
Bell Whiff
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #746 on: July 28, 2016, 07:52:14 pm »
Trabs....what part of Libpool are yiz from...Kirby-Birkenhead-Prescot.....trabs, wool word that la.....fuckin Texans. ;D

It's trainees....nothing else-trainees!!  ;D

It's originally trainees....that was what it was back when we stopped wearing Risley runaways and started the phenomenon that was Scallies.

Trabs becomes part of the Scouse vernacular in the early 80's.

But it's really trainees. ;D

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: July 28, 2016, 11:39:03 pm »
The ralla was our home as kids, used to live on it jumping over the elecky lines without a thought, linked all the mobs you used to fight with, like an alternative lawless world connecting everywhere. Trainees were shite at first, like flat footyboots but fell apart first game of footy at least the shite your got from the likes of Freeman Hardy Willis did, then while everyone else was three star jumpering it, about 75, we packed away our Flemos and started duffel coats, Wrangler flares with  greenflash, then the missing link in 76, canvas three stripe addidas tennis shoes, then leather Stans, the rest is history.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #748 on: July 29, 2016, 11:09:36 am »
Trabs....what part of Libpool are yiz from...Kirby-Birkenhead-Prescot.....trabs, wool word that la.....fuckin Texans. ;D

It's trainees....nothing else-trainees!!  ;D

It's originally trainees....that was what it was back when we stopped wearing Risley runaways and started the phenomenon that was Scallies.

Trabs becomes part of the Scouse vernacular in the early 80's.

But it's really trainees. ;D
Funny enough Davey, I travel across to Leeds two or three days a week as I work there and the lads over there think it`s fucking hilarious that I call them trainees, apparently it should be trainers.

To which my general response is - Fuck off knobhead, it`s trainees  :D

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: July 29, 2016, 06:19:18 pm »
Anyone ever rhyming slang it and call trainees Wayneys as in John Wayne? Might have just been a thing in my circle of friends rather than regional

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #750 on: July 29, 2016, 06:28:06 pm »
Funny enough Davey, I travel across to Leeds two or three days a week as I work there and the lads over there think it`s fucking hilarious that I call them trainees, apparently it should be trainers.

To which my general response is - Fuck off knobhead, it`s trainees  :D
It's a different world outside the city, as I've said before. ;D

I spent 4 days earlier this week on my bike in Swaledale and every...and I mean every person I spoke to I had to repeat what I'd said.....slowed down my speech and enunciated every word...coz they're too thick to follow what I'm saying. I told them, "it's was because Scousers are further along in our evolution and that their brains had yet to reach the level of intelligence that we are currently at and that's why they weren't able to understand me"...fuckin true too. ;D

Offline Mag Hull

• Lanca Shire
  • Kopite
  • Celebrating National Shite Day since 1968
« Reply #751 on: July 29, 2016, 08:39:16 pm »
Slummy (noun) - for a handful of change or Coppering up (adjective) when one wishes to make a financial transaction with a handful of slummy.
Get your fucking hedge cut!!!!

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: July 29, 2016, 08:42:01 pm »
Slummy (noun) - for a handful of change or Coppering up (adjective) when one wishes to make a financial transaction with a handful of slummy.

'Slummy jar' to save it all in.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #753 on: July 29, 2016, 09:22:36 pm »
The ralla was our home as kids, used to live on it jumping over the elecky lines without a thought, linked all the mobs you used to fight with, like an alternative lawless world connecting everywhere. Trainees were shite at first, like flat footyboots but fell apart first game of footy at least the shite your got from the likes of Freeman Hardy Willis did, then while everyone else was three star jumpering it, about 75, we packed away our Flemos and started duffel coats, Wrangler flares with  greenflash, then the missing link in 76, canvas three stripe addidas tennis shoes, then leather Stans, the rest is history.

Freeman Hardy Willis! 😄

I'm hazarding a guess you bought your first record from Creases too?
Wrangler flares/cords..Greenbergs?
Pretty embarrassing but Hi-Tec stood up to a bit of a battering playing footie.
Leather Stans & the obligatory whitener?
I remember getting my first pair of Nike when they appeared here,hole in the toe first game-gutted.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #754 on: August 1, 2016, 10:17:55 am »
Walvale first record early 70's just before they stopped selling records and just sold bikes, we used to go to Greenbergs after 77 for various gear, Grey/silver Hitecs I had as my first 'running' shoe better than pumps, could knock out 10 miles in under an hour but no one was arsed then, you only did cross country if you forgot your footy kit as a punishment ;D

Cross country punishment ha ha,something we couldn't do-our punishment was circuit training & you always got pull ups last when you were fucked.
When you got a pair of trainees that fell apart very quickly you ventured into the unknown..I donned a pair of leather Diadora,think they were Borg tennis,can't remember really-anyways these lasted longer than any I ever had. I wasn't that arsed,I always had a couple of decent pairs to go out in.

*Also a pair of Mitre Memphis,lasted well too.
Adidas Kick..the forgotten Mamba & Bamba too.

Laffin'!!

« Last Edit: August 1, 2016, 10:21:23 am by Medellin »

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: August 1, 2016, 02:12:07 pm »
Billy Onions.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
« Reply #756 on: August 1, 2016, 09:49:54 pm »
I got nicked by the bizzies for having a slash in the jigger = I was apprehended by a member of the Liverpool Constabulary for urinating in the entry.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: August 2, 2016, 09:58:07 am »
Freeman Hardy Willis! 😄

We used those as our surnames if we got pulled by the bizzies. Always took a few minutes for the penny to drop with them.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #758 on: August 3, 2016, 02:06:11 pm »
We used those as our surnames if we got pulled by the bizzies. Always took a few minutes for the penny to drop with them.

I know a couple of lads with famous names who when pulled,the bizzies thought they were taking the piss when their names were given. 😀

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: August 4, 2016, 06:53:50 am »
Anyone ever rhyming slang it and call trainees Wayneys as in John Wayne? Might have just been a thing in my circle of friends rather than regional

We used to say John Wayne for train
@johnbuckels