Author Topic: Owlez, Owlez, Owlez - The Roy Hodgson Appreciation Thread.  (Read 257535 times)

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written

Same smile!
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.

Same smile!

"Needless to say, I had the last laugh..."
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
He's a fucking shitehawk wolf in sheeps clothing, ive no doubt you're a great lad, but fuck me are you off course here topman.

My gosh, I’m not saying he’s a good man or that he should be knighted. All I’ve said is he deserves some credit for Palace being where they are.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
He's done the average job based on expectations and squad available. He is effectively being praised for not being shit.

You look at the job the likes of Setien at Betis - playing attacking football with a limited budget and finishing just outside the CL places. THAT is praise worthy. Or Carvajal at Swansea.

The truth is Hodgson is averaging a 30% win rate this season. That is poor. It is the lowest of his entire managerial career. The fact that he is outperforming other sides with such a low win rate is likely more reflective in the gulf in quality in the league than anything else where at the start of the season there are 6 teams competing at the top and everyone else is in a relegation battle.

Uh, what? He's taken them down playing some absolutely turgid stuff over the last 3 months. Even Palace played better football when they lost their opening 7 games of football.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
tbf to Palace, they've got some decent players and they shouldn't have been where they were to begin with.  There are far shitter teams than them in the league.  Arguably Hodgson has played to par - it looks better than what it is because of the position they were in when he took over.

He's done a decent job but the shite around him has elevated his achievement.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
He has saved them the blundering fool.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: ''What do you mean do my methods translate?'' - The Roy Hodgson Thread
« Reply #846 on: July 11, 2018, 12:44:47 pm »
As Roy Hodgson and his wife sit down to enjoy a chilled glass of orange squash, Roy is lamenting;

"Mrs Hodgson, I cannot believe that twat Southgate is reaping the rewards of my vision and leadership. It should be me leading this great nation into a World Cup semi final, which even if it ends in defeat will ensure fame, respect and create a lasting legacy such as the one enjoyed by Sir Bobby Robson. It should be me, it should be me, why isn't it me. Where's his 40 years of experience"

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: July 11, 2018, 12:50:59 pm »
Given how the draw has planned out, I think every England manager that has taken them to a major tournament in my life time would have them in the semi finals...

Except Roy Hodgson. 
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: July 11, 2018, 12:54:03 pm »
Given how the draw has planned out, I think every England manager that has taken them to a major tournament in my life time would have them in the semi finals...

Except Roy Hodgson.

Hard to argue with this.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:34 pm »

Except Roy Hodgson.
He'd have found a way to fuck it up.
Taken Rooney.
Too arrogant to prepare for pens.
Listened too much to the press and/or Neville.
Alienated players.
Insulted foreign journos
etc etc etc

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #850 on: July 11, 2018, 04:29:33 pm »
If this clown was still charge, we'd have got a famous 1-1 draw against Tunisia, grind out a 2-1 win against the formidable Panama and lost 3-0 against Belgium when we clearly deserved to only lose 2-0.

Kane would be on corners and chin-rubbing Roy would be defending how well Rooney had done to last 60 minutes against Colombia where we heroically lost 3-1.

Thank goodness the deluded old fool wasn't still the national team coach or England would have been on the plane home weeks ago.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #851 on: July 11, 2018, 06:27:41 pm »
The Owl will go down as the worst England manager ever, 3 wins in 3 major tournaments & that was over 2 Euros, 0 wins at the World Cup, his constant bumbling of the side & tactics.
#Sausages

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #852 on: July 11, 2018, 06:37:28 pm »

Except Roy Hodgson.

I know Allardyce doesn't qualify for that statement, but if he didn't, I couldn't give him the benefit of the doubt either even just to get a dig at Owly.

Agree with your statement though. Would love to see what a Robson, Venables or Hoddle side would have done with a draw similar to this tournament. Loved watching those sides play.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: July 11, 2018, 06:41:37 pm »
He'd have found a way to fuck it up.
Taken Rooney.
Too arrogant to prepare for pens.
Listened too much to the press and/or Neville.
Alienated players.
Insulted foreign journos
etc etc etc

Went boating instead of scouting potential opponents.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #854 on: July 11, 2018, 06:50:16 pm »
Went boating instead of scouting potential opponents.
That's funny. I vaguely remember Hodgson getting into an argument with Jeroeme Boateng as he was asked to rate Englands chances and he didn't give them a glowing appraisal. Hodgson lashed back, as he does :P

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: July 11, 2018, 09:08:42 pm »
It's the faux English gentleman act, and the fapping (Southern) press that fall for it, Graham Taylor was a gentleman, as was Bobby Robson, that shithouse doesn't even come close, despite the best efforts of his buddies in the media.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #856 on: July 11, 2018, 11:12:47 pm »
I'll never understand how he seems immune from criticism despite being a shit manager and a complete twat to boot. Compare that to the awful treatment meted out to Bobby Robson when he was England manager, and he was legitimately a good manager and good guy.

Let's not even get into the appalling treatment Rafa gets from the press.

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #857 on: July 11, 2018, 11:18:42 pm »
I'll never understand how he seems immune from criticism despite being a shit manager and a complete twat to boot. Compare that to the awful treatment meted out to Bobby Robson when he was England manager, and he was legitimately a good manager and good guy.

He's well read though. Always quick to give a good book as a gift to a journalist when they meet up.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #858 on: July 11, 2018, 11:49:56 pm »

Benitez is amazing, how many top class managers (having managed at Madrid, Valencia and Liverpool) would toddle on down to Newcastle, stick around after they got relegated, get them back up and keep them up on a shoe string and still stick around the following season, despite having a dickhead in charge. It's a mark of the man's character and still the PL and all the usual shitehawks sneer at the 'fat Spanish waiter'. Jesus Christ, even Chelsea fans were doing it, even as he was winning them a European cup (only there second ever).

In his time at Liverpool he had a better record than Wenger during the same period (winning an FA cup and CL), popularised the 4231 formation (which would go on to become all the rage) as well as squad rotation and the zonal marking defence (which would also become an established staple). He was an innovator, a successful winner and did so at largely unfancied clubs. He was amazing. The problem was he rubbed the establishment up the wrong way, so rather than kowtowing to the likes of Ferguson, he ended up in a war with him and his lackeys in the LMA (andf they in turn had the media sneering at him). Only clubs that have been managed by him really appreciate how good he is.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #859 on: July 12, 2018, 08:26:35 am »
Benitez is amazing, how many top class managers (having managed at Madrid, Valencia and Liverpool) would toddle on down to Newcastle, stick around after they got relegated, get them back up and keep them up on a shoe string and still stick around the following season, despite having a dickhead in charge. It's a mark of the man's character and still the PL and all the usual shitehawks sneer at the 'fat Spanish waiter'. Jesus Christ, even Chelsea fans were doing it, even as he was winning them a European cup (only there second ever).

In his time at Liverpool he had a better record than Wenger during the same period (winning an FA cup and CL), popularised the 4231 formation (which would go on to become all the rage) as well as squad rotation and the zonal marking defence (which would also become an established staple). He was an innovator, a successful winner and did so at largely unfancied clubs. He was amazing. The problem was he rubbed the establishment up the wrong way, so rather than kowtowing to the likes of Ferguson, he ended up in a war with him and his lackeys in the LMA (andf they in turn had the media sneering at him). Only clubs that have been managed by him really appreciate how good he is.
One of my best mates is an AC Milan fan. They are rather shit at the minute so he isn't happy  ;D

Anyway, he LOVES Rafa and desperately wants him at Milan. Says he is the most underrated manager in football. Even one of my Manc mates reckons Rafa is a class manager. Sadly, they are in the minority amongst fans of clubs the great man has not managed.

He's well read though. Always quick to give a good book as a gift to a journalist when they meet up.
Pretty sad if that's the case! Hodgson is objectively a shit of a man and a crap manager.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:28:45 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: July 12, 2018, 10:18:37 am »
Just popped in to say I still hate the owl twat.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #861 on: July 13, 2018, 12:26:52 pm »

I bet he’s never read Mandela’s book. He was a part of the problem if you recall. Playing sport in Apartheid SA
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #862 on: July 13, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »
Hodgson showed his evil insidious side in that leaked BBC interview where he's narky and swearing at the interviewer.

The distinguished gentleman act is simply that - an act.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #863 on: August 2, 2018, 10:07:53 am »
Here he is, Saint Roy, exercising his famous expectation-lowering ahead of the new season.

“The chairman has made it clear to me that, certainly this next season, it is all about survival again,” he said. “We mustn’t start getting ahead of ourselves and saying we did well last year, so let’s get even better. Let’s keep the modest approach and work very hard to make certain that we survive with a bit less stress than we did last year, when the knife was at our throats so often.”

Remember, if Palace fail, it's because the squad is shit. He's actually performing miracles there. The Facerubbing One will make sure everyone knows there was nothing he or any other manager could've done better.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2018, 10:09:59 am by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: August 2, 2018, 10:20:31 am »
Here he is, Saint Roy, exercising his famous expectation-lowering ahead of the new season.

Remember, if Palace fail, it's because the squad is shit. He's actually performing miracles there. The Facerubbing One will make sure everyone knows there was nothing he or any other manager could've done better.

He's right in what he says, I mean why would you try to do better this year than last year? That would be madness. Just stay the same forever...

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: August 2, 2018, 10:39:49 am »
Max Meyer and the Owl. Let this stand as a lesson to young, cocky players: you act the tw*t, you get Hodged.

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #866 on: August 2, 2018, 10:50:16 am »

;D Unbelievable.

Getting his excuses in early so that the media will laud him as a genius for merely keeping Palace in the PL - rather than pointing out that a team containing Sakho, Van Aanholt, Milivojevic, Zaha, Benteke, Meyer? etc should be finishing quite comfortably mid-table.

What an egregious man.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: August 2, 2018, 11:30:18 am »
Just bid 25m for Ings you fucking dickhead.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #868 on: August 3, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »

Made me laugh way more than it should have  :lmao

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: August 3, 2018, 04:02:32 pm »
£20 million upfront. Uncle Roy you legend. idiot.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #870 on: August 3, 2018, 04:03:50 pm »
£20 million upfront. Uncle Roy you legend. idiot.

Getting on for £70m Palace have sent our way in the last 3 seasons. I’m starting to warm to them.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #871 on: August 3, 2018, 04:47:09 pm »

:lmao

Cheers Hodgson!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: August 10, 2018, 12:27:54 pm »
The Hodge has signed a new contract. Eutopia.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #873 on: August 10, 2018, 01:16:00 pm »
I'm glad Ingsy didn't have to go to Palace!

Apparently the reaoson they couldn't afford him and couldn't spend anymore this window, was cos huge chunks of money they owe for Sakho and Benteke where due this summer.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #874 on: August 10, 2018, 01:23:08 pm »
I'm glad Ingsy didn't have to go to Palace!

Apparently the reaoson they couldn't afford him and couldn't spend anymore this window, was cos huge chunks of money they owe for Sakho and Benteke where due this summer.

:lmao

Damn it Roy plan better. Cost us 5 million pound selling south. you know you are our preferred vendor always first dibs for an old friend.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: August 15, 2018, 11:00:01 am »
Zaha signs a new contract until 2023 to maximise his value when he's inevitably sold.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: August 15, 2018, 12:00:58 pm »
Zaha signs a new contract until 2023 to maximise his value when he's inevitably sold.

In January I bet too.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: August 15, 2018, 12:35:39 pm »
What Roy Hodgson does when he realises the camera is on him.

What Jurgen Klopp does when he knows the camera is on him.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #878 on: August 17, 2018, 08:47:14 am »
The Hodge has signed a new contract. Eutopia.

God I miss the nicknames that we gave him.

The Owl, The Hodge, Hodge Podge, Uncle Roy to name a few.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #879 on: August 17, 2018, 09:02:46 am »

That's me that is, having a pep talk with my partner, right before we hit the niteclub "C'mmmmooon, you can do it"
Beatings will continue until morale improves...