Author Topic: The GAA Thread  (Read 632922 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: The GAA Thread
« Reply #10040 on: July 8, 2018, 02:16:30 pm »
Cork footballers are an embarrassment. It's not that anyone really expected them to beat Kerry or Tyrone - it's that most people thought they'd put up a fight, and not lose by at least a point a man. They didn't even manage either of those.

If only everything in life was as reliable as them. They'll never fail to let you down.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10041 on: July 8, 2018, 03:34:14 pm »
Cork footballers are an embarrassment. It's not that anyone really expected them to beat Kerry or Tyrone - it's that most people thought they'd put up a fight, and not lose by at least a point a man. They didn't even manage either of those.

If only everything in life was as reliable as them. They'll never fail to let you down.

As shite as they are, at least they won an All Ireland within the last 10 years. Unlike Tyrone, or Mayo, or Meath, or Galway, or Kildare, or Monaghan, or Derry, or Down or Armagh. You know...counties which (traditionally speaking) would be classed as football counties. I'll tell you what the real embarrassment is though: it's the fact that we're also 4th in the all time roll of honour for Sam. Footballing counties all over the country should hang their heads in shame over that. Only failed hurlers play football in Cork FFS. What's everyone's excuse like?

Here's another embarrassing stat for you: Kerrykops corkonian cousin has more All Ireland senior football medals than Cillian McDonald, Liam McHale, Andy Moran, Ken Mortimer, Keith Higgins, Ciaran Whelan, Paddy Bradley, Benny Coulter, Dermot Earley, Matty Ford and Dessie Dolan combined. Speaking of Dessie Dolan...that reminds me....I believe Mr. O'Connor also has more All Ireland senior football medals than every single player to ever play championship football for Westmeath in the entire history of the GAA

You're right, Cork make things very embarrassing indeed :) 

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10042 on: July 8, 2018, 04:46:28 pm »
Keep living in the past Billy. Second biggest county in Ireland. One Munster title this decade. Losing by 17 and 16 points in consecutive outings, one at your shiny new stadium.
But sure, be proud of having more All Ireland's than Westmeath and Monaghan. Whatever keeps you going in these summer days when your only joy is looking forward to seeing who Dublin might lose to.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10043 on: July 8, 2018, 05:11:37 pm »
As shite as they are, at least they won an All Ireland within the last 10 years. Unlike Tyrone, or Mayo, or Meath, or Galway, or Kildare, or Monaghan, or Derry, or Down or Armagh. You know...counties which (traditionally speaking) would be classed as football counties. I'll tell you what the real embarrassment is though: it's the fact that we're also 4th in the all time roll of honour for Sam. Footballing counties all over the country should hang their heads in shame over that. Only failed hurlers play football in Cork FFS. What's everyone's excuse like?

Here's another embarrassing stat for you: Kerrykops corkonian cousin has more All Ireland senior football medals than Cillian McDonald, Liam McHale, Andy Moran, Ken Mortimer, Keith Higgins, Ciaran Whelan, Paddy Bradley, Benny Coulter, Dermot Earley, Matty Ford and Dessie Dolan combined. Speaking of Dessie Dolan...that reminds me....I believe Mr. O'Connor also has more All Ireland senior football medals than every single player to ever play championship football for Westmeath in the entire history of the GAA

You're right, Cork make things very embarrassing indeed :)

its not that big of a deal when consider the size of your county and the pick you have.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10044 on: July 8, 2018, 07:08:23 pm »
Keep living in the past Billy. Second biggest county in Ireland. One Munster title this decade. Losing by 17 and 16 points in consecutive outings, one at your shiny new stadium.
But sure, be proud of having more All Ireland's than Westmeath and Monaghan. Whatever keeps you going in these summer days when your only joy is looking forward to seeing who Dublin might lose to.

As you well know, I have but a passing interest in football. I couldn't care less if Kerry beat our footballers by 20 points and Dublin won 10 in a row. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I'm also certain that If you asked the people of Cork which they would prefer to win (Sam Maguire or Liam McCarthy) then the vast majority would pick hurling. Me personally, I'd swap 5 Sam Maguire's for 1 hurling All Ireland. 

When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10045 on: July 8, 2018, 07:31:24 pm »

Hey, our stadium is class.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10046 on: July 8, 2018, 07:37:27 pm »
I was a snotty college student when we won the double in 1990. We don’t have to win every year in football but this year has been pretty fucking depressing. More than that, embarrassing. Billy is right that hurling is the public’s favourite down here, especially east and in the city, but I was reared with respectable, competitive football teams. We’ve gone down a long way.

PS: I blame Munster rugby.
« Last Edit: July 8, 2018, 07:43:14 pm by Corkboy »

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10047 on: July 8, 2018, 08:20:23 pm »
The eight counties who qualify for the 'Super 8' phase of the All-Ireland series are as follows:

Group 1

Kerry
Galway
Kildare
Monaghan

Group 2

Dublin
Donegal
Tyrone
Roscommon
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10048 on: July 9, 2018, 06:46:22 pm »
GAA Hurling All-Ireland Senior Championship Quarter-Finals

Clare v Wexford - Pairc Ui Chaoimh
Kilkenny v Limerick - Semple Stadium
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10049 on: July 9, 2018, 07:44:33 pm »
Hard to call both games. Davy will have Wexford wound up ta fuck against Clare

Kilkenny could struggle going into the last 15 minutes. This will be their 3rd game in 14 days

I'd still fancy them to pull through though

I reckon it will be Cork v Kilkenny and Galway v Clare in the semi's

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10050 on: July 9, 2018, 08:15:03 pm »
Pretty scathing piece from Ó Sé here. In a way, I agree with him 100%, but part of me still isn't arsed

Ó Sé: "Cork are not a football county in my eyes"

They've had the Barrs, Nemo - great club teams - but at county level they haven't had the same success that other superpowers have had.

Kerry beat them by 17 points, if Tipperary beat the Cork hurlers by 17 points and then they went out the next day and got another thumping, there would be absolute war.

There's a culture down there that it's almost half acceptable for the footballers. They lack belief, they lack an arrogance. I see Stephen Cronin playing for Nemo, he's not the same player when he plays for Cork.

There's a stronghold over in east Cork, it's hurling country. West Cork was always football country. Over in east Cork, they are dominating football at underage level. Yet, when they come to a certain age, they are told, 'Hurling is your sport'.

Somebody has to stand up. There's always a slight thrown at the Cork county board that they're a hurling county board. Set up another county board - there's very good footballing people in Cork.

I don't know if there's a desire to drive the football as hard as there is to drive the hurling

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/tomas-o-se-cork-football-culture-392456

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10051 on: July 9, 2018, 09:51:41 pm »
West Cork was always football country. Over in east Cork, they are dominating football at underage level.

First bit is true. Second bit’s not, in my opinion. I just checked with my young fella, who is playing minor football atm and he agrees.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10052 on: July 10, 2018, 09:11:39 am »
First bit is true. Second bit’s not, in my opinion. I just checked with my young fella, who is playing minor football atm and he agrees.

He agrees which? That we're not dominating football at underage level? He'd probably be right. We haven't won a Munster minor championship in almost 10 years

In my opinion, Cork football has always had its ups and downs. It's just that our ups and downs tend to be a tad extreme in that when we're good, we're actually fairly decent. But when we're bad we're atrocious. We're on a down cycle at the moment but I'm sure it will swing upwards again. It always does. I'm also sure we'll show face in another All Ireland final within the next ten to 12 years. And if we do, assuming the hurlers aren't up to much, sure we might have a day out for ourselves

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #10053 on: July 10, 2018, 10:00:01 am »
He agrees which? That we're not dominating football at underage level?

That East Cork is dominating underage football. That's just not true.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10054 on: July 14, 2018, 05:20:10 pm »
Wexford have only themselves to blame. They hit an awful amount of bad wides.

That nails Clare on to play Galway, with tomorrows winners to play Cork in the other semi

I'd have to fancy Kilkenny tomorrow

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10055 on: July 14, 2018, 08:36:59 pm »
Dublin weren't great today. They got the job done like, but they didn't set the world alight by any means. Had Donegal not kicked so many poor wides then they might have made a closer games of it. I think it's worth remembering too that the 5 All Ireland finals Dublin have won this decade have been by very slim margins. All 3 against Mayo were won by a single point. The 2011 final against Kerry was also won by a single point. They won 2015 by just 3 points

Granted, of course, the history books will show 5 finals won, and they're definitely a super outfit. No qualms there. But I don't think they're as peerless as most people make out. They're definitely beatable

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #10056 on: July 14, 2018, 08:56:29 pm »
Jaysus, that was brutal to watch at the end. Was a decent enough game until HT, but once Dublin got the 2nd goal there was no other result really. Even so, nobody got any satisfaction from 10 solid minutes of handpassing.

Donegal vs Tyrone in Ballybofey for a semi-final spot on the first Sunday in August then.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #10057 on: July 15, 2018, 12:12:42 pm »
Dubs conserving energy at the end for next week. It was excrutiating to watch - not a good advert for the new format imo.

On a more positive note, as a Dub, I was hugely impressed with Brian Howard yesterday. He seems to have come on leaps and bounds. Half back line looking very strong again with McCaffrey back too.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10058 on: July 15, 2018, 01:44:02 pm »
Joanne Cantwell looking spiffing today

She's a magnificent specimen of a woman

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10059 on: July 15, 2018, 01:50:37 pm »
She's also taking over from Micky Lester next year

He's 65 this year. 35 years he's been presenting it. It will be weird not having him around

Joanne will be well able for it though I'd say

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10060 on: July 15, 2018, 11:21:04 pm »
Just back from thurles. After all the league and championship matches this was bay far the best day out, hats off to kilkenny they were all gracious in defeat and thought limerick deserved to win. From the game itself I thought kilkennys 3 or 4 wides at the start of the second half were key to limerick winning, limerick were much faster to the ball. They man marked TJ reid which was a must and richie hogan is just a pleasure to watch, the man is only 5'8 and winning balls against 6'3 towers. Dan morrissey and limericks half back line won the game, when you see backs going man for man v kilkenny you know you have got a team on your hands.

For me Cork and Limerick is just too hard to call, it's going to be a battle. Limerick may get better use of the bigger pitch in croke but a draw is not off the cards

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10061 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:01 pm »
Had people trying to tell me Kerry would win an All-Ireland this year and I stupidly bought in to the hype  ;D My god that was embarrassing, nothing will change until Fitzmaurice is gone, how he got a 2 year extension I'll never know. The full back line is a shambles and unless we're playing a wide open team the attack isn't able to function. We have the players, the sideline is just letting them down. David Clifford was the only shining light yesterday, 1-5 from play is unbelievable from a 19 year old, will be a brilliant experience watching him over the next 10 or so years.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10062 on: July 16, 2018, 09:35:48 pm »
We get a bad time of it up in Ulster for 'Puke Football', but fuck me that was dire stuff from Dublin towards the end. I don't think we played too badly. Goals being the difference and some poor wides from ourselves. If we can beat Roscommon, which you would expect after the absolute hammering Tyrone dished out to them, it would be set up nicely for ourselves and Tyrone in Ballyboffey.

The other group looks like it could be a cracker. Especially with Galway beating Kerry. Kerry not to advance? Anyone? Wouldnt rule out Monaghan at Clones.

I'm going for Dublin, Donegal, Galway and Kerry (just about) in the semis.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:37:39 pm by deano2727 »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10063 on: July 16, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »
For me Cork and Limerick is just too hard to call, it's going to be a battle. Limerick may get better use of the bigger pitch in croke but a draw is not off the cards

Apart from their game against Clare, Limerick have been excellent this year. Had they not gone down to 14 men against Cork then they could have come away with a win. On the balance of play, Limerick probably deserved to beat Cork. When Kilkenny scored their goal, I thought they'd kick for home and see Limerick off. But Limerick came right back at them with 3 unanswered points. They showed a resolve that hasn't been there in recent years. They were full value for their win in fairness.

As far as the semi goes, I agree, it's 50/50. It will be whatever way the ball bounces on the day. I also think it will bring a huge crowd. Wouldn't surprise me if 60K or more show up

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #10064 on: July 16, 2018, 11:58:10 pm »
We get a bad time of it up in Ulster for 'Puke Football', but fuck me that was dire stuff from Dublin towards the end. I don't think we played too badly. Goals being the difference and some poor wides from ourselves. If we can beat Roscommon, which you would expect after the absolute hammering Tyrone dished out to them, it would be set up nicely for ourselves and Tyrone in Ballyboffey.

The other group looks like it could be a cracker. Especially with Galway beating Kerry. Kerry not to advance? Anyone? Wouldnt rule out Monaghan at Clones.

I'm going for Dublin, Donegal, Galway and Kerry (just about) in the semis.
If Tyrone manage a win against the Dubs we're as good as out.

Online FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #10065 on: July 17, 2018, 01:50:59 pm »
Everyone I talk to in Kerry are very worried about Monaghan in Clones, think Monaghan are massively overpirced. This isn't any cute hoorism as well, we're all rightfully shitting bricks.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #10066 on: July 17, 2018, 02:17:51 pm »
Kerry are done under that manager and his five year plan which started six years ago . His treatment of donsghy is shameful. His lack of a game plan . I from Kerry but had Galway backed . Only way we bit Monaghan is if the players are up for a fight but beating Dublin won't happen this year
Everyone I talk to in Kerry are very worried about Monaghan in Clones, think Monaghan are massively overpirced. This isn't any cute hoorism as well, we're all rightfully shitting bricks.
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10067 on: July 20, 2018, 06:10:57 pm »
Loving the new format and long may it continue.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10068 on: July 21, 2018, 06:36:53 pm »
Important win for us. Michael Murphy and Odhrán MacNiallais were top class.

Hopefully the Dubs can do us a favour today. Would set things up nicely for Ballyboffey.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10069 on: July 21, 2018, 06:58:43 pm »
Important win for us. Michael Murphy and Odhrán MacNiallais were top class.

Hopefully the Dubs can do us a favour today. Would set things up nicely for Ballyboffey.

We dont do favours ;D

Feel we will win x5.

Anyway here we go.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10070 on: July 21, 2018, 07:05:59 pm »
We dont do favours ;D

Feel we will win x5.

Anyway here we go.

Yeah, I don't see anyone being up to the task this year. Think this one will be the end of the streak though.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10071 on: July 21, 2018, 07:11:48 pm »
Draggy Pully Tyrone Football at its best so far.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10072 on: July 21, 2018, 08:15:22 pm »
Be interesting to see if Tyrone have a plan B here, like last year in Croke Park that will not be the case I feel.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10073 on: July 21, 2018, 08:19:13 pm »
Brian Fenton is just on a different level.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10074 on: July 21, 2018, 08:40:34 pm »
Fair play Tyrone did not see that in ya. Roscommon in Croke Park next for us a formality but Donegal v Tyrone will be fun to watch.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10075 on: July 21, 2018, 09:07:07 pm »
Fair play Tyrone did not see that in ya.

Sure how could you have seen it in them?

Dublin have never played Tyrone in Omagh in the Championship before (not that I can remember)

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10076 on: July 21, 2018, 09:25:56 pm »
Sure how could you have seen it in them?

Dublin have never played Tyrone in Omagh in the Championship before (not that I can remember)

But e won, last time we lost away in League of Championship was............
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #10077 on: July 22, 2018, 02:14:09 pm »
But e won, last time we lost away in League of Championship was............

Forget the league. The league is nothing more than a trial run for the championship. Most counties treat it as such.

The point I'm making is that Tyrone's performance last night proved how vital home advantage can be. Dublin beat Tyrone by 12 points in Croke park last year. Last night the deficit was 3 points. It could have been even closer had Tyrone not missed 2 very kickable frees. Obviously, this is but one example, but it still supports the overriding point - Dublin are afforded a luxury that isn't afforded to other counties. As I said to you last night, no wonder you didn't see that performance in Tyrone. Sure how could you? How could any of us? Tyrone never had the chance to play Dublin at home in the championship before. Just for the record, I've no qualms with Dublin declaring Croke park as their home venue. I also fully acknowledge that they're a fantastic side. That being said, I think it's fair to point out that

In 2017 Dublin played Monaghan in the quarter final and Tyrone in the semi. Both games were played in Croke park. In 2016 you played Donegal and Kerry. Both were in Croke park. In 2015 you played Fermanagh and Mayo twice, one drawn game and one replay, all 3 games were in Croke park. In 2014 it was Monaghan and Donegal, 2013 was Cork and Donegal, 2012 was Laois and Mayo, and 2011 was Tyrone and Donegal - again, ALL games played in Croke park. In the 8 years since this Dublin side broke through and won their first All Ireland, they have featured in the quarters and semi's on a total of 15 occasions. All 15 games were played with home advantage. That's without even mentioning the Leinster chamopinship

As I say, I fully acknowledge that the current Dublin side are fantastic. I just find it a little hard to believe that they would be going for 4 All Ireland's in a row had they been made to play half of the fixtures i just listed outside of Croke park. Obviously, there's no way for me to categorically prove that, but surely Tyrone's performance last night is - at the very least - an indicator that things may not have been as rosy for the Dubs in recent years had they been forced to hit the road a little more often. Wouldn't you agree? I mean, If Kerry were allowed to play 7 quarter finals and 7 semi finals in Fitzgeralds stadium, how many finals do you think they'd end up getting to? Quite a few I'd imagine

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #10078 on: July 22, 2018, 04:28:06 pm »
All fair points Billy but how many of those quarter and semi final games where also in Croke Park, not our fault the national stadium is in Dublin. Plus in relation to the previous 30 years when we won 2, yes 2 All Irelands I did not hear the call then.

Ah well what ya going to do.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #10079 on: July 22, 2018, 04:54:13 pm »
Surely Fitzmaurice does the right thing and steps down after this .Kerry been left behind tactically
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".