Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3449066 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44320 on: January 8, 2017, 03:24:28 am »
Watched Allied last night. Decent, if a bit predictable, Hollywood big star film. It becomes clear about 5 minutes into the film that to sit through it requires massive pinches of salt, but on the whole it's not too bad an effort. Marion Cotillard is such a stunning natural beauty, but fuck me, she can't sell a sentimental scene for shit. I burst out laughing at her acting in what was meant to be a really emotional scene. This on the back of her death scene in The dark knight rises makes me think that she's really a rubbish actress. I can't think of a scene that she really sold from the films I've seen with her in it.

In case you missed it,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kK6vvxQrs

Gary Oldman's reaction at the end of the clip says it all.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44321 on: January 8, 2017, 11:14:58 am »
Watched The Coherence yesterday. For its time bending genre, was a decent movie.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44322 on: January 8, 2017, 01:23:49 pm »
Saw it a few weeks back. Loved it. So much inventive humour and a heartwarming story.

Taika Waititi is a seriously talented writer and director.

Yes, yes and more yes. Superb little film that really makes you laugh despite being a quite touching story at times. Really great effort all round.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44323 on: January 8, 2017, 05:25:13 pm »
The Girl With All The Gifts was actually surprisingly decent. Wobbled a bit near the end when the creatures from Fraggle Rock showed up, though. Other than that, it had some clever writing around the central character. It's practically a film adaptation of The Last of Us, so if you liked that, you'll love this.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #44324 on: January 8, 2017, 07:18:17 pm »
I just watched that the other night too and agree with all you said. Massive twats.

I also watched "Imitation Game" for the first time and found it pretty good in a "Brilliant Mind" kind of way, but I'm not sure how convinced I am by Cumberballs. He's got that vacant, alien face that could be inhabited by any character ... but I'm always kind of on the verge of thinking he is a massive ham, a la Jon Voight. But at the same time, he also caught the delicate nature of Turing's mental state and the horrible things he went through, so who knows. The negative thoughts were exacerbated by the presence of Keira Knightley's puckered anus face, so it was probably all her fault. Always good to watch the good guys get one over on the Nazi c*nts.

the kid who played the younger Turing was better than him.

He did a great Richard the 3rd though.
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #44325 on: January 8, 2017, 08:43:19 pm »
Watched Lion last night. Well worth a watch, though I think the Oscar talk is a bit far to be honest.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44326 on: January 9, 2017, 12:03:41 am »
Saw it a few weeks back. Loved it. So much inventive humour and a heartwarming story.

Taika Waititi is a seriously talented writer and director.

You probably know, but if you didn't; the director makes a cameo as the priest at the church. Great scene that one!
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44327 on: January 9, 2017, 12:10:18 pm »
Watched Snowden and The Girl on The Train yesterday.

The former, well I watched it under the scope of having seen recently the original documentary and knowing the main things about his story so the element of surprise/getting to learn something new was gone. So probably I unfairly expected more than I should have.

The latter was decent and watchable but let's say I have seen better (executed) twists and couldn't help but compare it with Gone Girl which was clearly a superior film.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44328 on: January 9, 2017, 03:00:05 pm »
I'm going to watch War on Everyone later looks fun.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/whjTvW6cfd4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/whjTvW6cfd4</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #44329 on: January 9, 2017, 03:29:37 pm »
I'm going to watch War on Everyone later looks fun.

I thought that but was dissapointed personally although Pena is good in it
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44330 on: January 9, 2017, 05:12:43 pm »
You probably know, but if you didn't; the director makes a cameo as the priest at the church. Great scene that one!

Yes! Was a brilliant little cameo  ;D.

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44331 on: January 9, 2017, 05:28:45 pm »
Anyone seen Silence? Would appreciate some thoughts on it before I take the plunge
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44332 on: January 9, 2017, 07:04:47 pm »
Watched The Girl With All The Gifts yesterday. Fantastic zombie flick, really impressive to say it only cost Ł4 million. Don't know if it's inspired by The Last Of Us or if it's the other way around, as I'm not famililiar with the book on which it's based.

Certainly puts mega bucks shite like World War Z to shame.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44333 on: January 9, 2017, 10:50:34 pm »
Watched The Girl With All The Gifts yesterday. Fantastic zombie flick, really impressive to say it only cost Ł4 million. Don't know if it's inspired by The Last Of Us or if it's the other way around, as I'm not famililiar with the book on which it's based.

It's based on the novella of the same name...worth a read too.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44334 on: January 9, 2017, 10:53:21 pm »
I thought that but was dissapointed personally although Pena is good in it
Had some decent bits in it...they were few and far between tho. I did like Skarsgard's character...he amused me throughout the film.

I admit to hoping one of these cop buddy movies will be the latest "Freebie And The Bean"...I'm normally disappointed tho, this was no different.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #44335 on: January 10, 2017, 05:02:04 am »

That is a pretty decent book, though - not great, but a fun and easy read. Written by either the son or grandson of Mel Brooks.
Wait ... yeah, it's his son.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44336 on: January 10, 2017, 10:18:44 am »
Finally watched Fury the other day. Genuinely under-rated I would say. Really enjoyed it from start to finish; decent emotional depth in a few of the characters, some great dialogue and suspense, and the few action scenes have big pay-offs, particularly the ending.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44337 on: January 10, 2017, 10:28:35 am »
That is a pretty decent book, though - not great, but a fun and easy read. Written by either the son or grandson of Mel Brooks.
Wait ... yeah, it's his son.

Yeah I really liked the book...the film though...nah.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Show Me The Exit

• Anny Roader
  • No Mané mo' problems.
« Reply #44338 on: January 10, 2017, 10:58:50 am »
Finally watched Fury the other day. Genuinely under-rated I would say. Really enjoyed it from start to finish; decent emotional depth in a few of the characters, some great dialogue and suspense, and the few action scenes have big pay-offs, particularly the ending.

i was disappointed by it.

I enjoyed the fight with the Tiger tank but, apart from that setpiece, all I really leaned from the film was that it must have been absolute hell to fight in a tank in WWII. And, if I didn't know that before, one scene from the movie would have been enough to educate me.

The way the film was shot was technically very good though.
Mate, with all due respect, you are an absolute fucking fruit case -MOZ

Seriously mate - You post such utter fucking gash with such conviction it's quite spell binding. - Alan_X

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44339 on: January 10, 2017, 02:23:20 pm »
Noticed that Arrival Blueray is up on the Torrent site I use.

Has it really been released thought I would check if its has been, its not on the streaming sites yet.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44340 on: January 10, 2017, 02:38:34 pm »

Has it really been released thought I would check if its has been, its not on the streaming sites yet.

According to Amazon the Blu Ray isnt released until March.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44341 on: January 10, 2017, 02:40:27 pm »

Have we not had this conversation before. ;D

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44342 on: January 10, 2017, 04:17:30 pm »
Don't you hate it when people doing illegal stuff tell fibs?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #44343 on: January 10, 2017, 04:18:41 pm »
Have we not had this conversation before. ;D

We did. In five years time   :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #44344 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:44 pm »

Please don't do that to me again.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44345 on: January 10, 2017, 10:01:22 pm »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44346 on: January 10, 2017, 10:02:42 pm »
Please don't do that to me again.
You're on IPT, you'd know before Trada if it was about. ;D

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #44347 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:46 pm »
You're on IPT, you'd know before Trada if it was about. ;D
I am but I left RAWK in a hurry without reading the rest of the posts on here. Looked on IPT and it wasn't there.

I'll probably have grandkids by the time it comes out.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44348 on: January 10, 2017, 10:09:34 pm »
I am but I left RAWK in a hurry without reading the rest of the posts on here. Looked on IPT and it wasn't there.

I'll probably have grandkids by the time it comes out.
;D

Toni Erdmann is about, 1080 with subs too, freeleech on IPT...probably the front runner for the Oscar in the f-l cat....it's a good film.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44349 on: January 10, 2017, 11:50:42 pm »
Watched Silence tonight. Stunning cinematography. Bit slow, but some really strong performances.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44350 on: January 11, 2017, 12:00:17 am »
Agree with this. A good video game plot basically is the length of a short-medium length novel, and heck, even Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is getting five movies.

On the other hand, I also think video games have an element of storytelling, tied to the interactive aspect, that can't actually be captured by non-interactive media. Consider Red Dead Redemption, or GTA V, or any of the Starcraft games. I honestly don't think many, if any of them tell stories that haven't been told a million times on celluloid. But the interactive aspect gets the audience that step further in terms of involvement.

In any case, I think any adaptation of a video game would be a fairly loose adaptation. You only really need one or two elements from a particular video game, plus some references, to sell it as an "adaptation". I honestly don't think the punters would be especially offended, even if they write it off as non-canonical. So there's no real need for anything especially faithful when retelling video game stories. Producers just need to find a proper screenplay with a story actually worth telling.

Well you said it there yourself. A story worth telling... Video Games, can, provide all of that and more.

The problem with some, I feel, is character and all that goes with that - games like MGS develop characters over such a long period, that, translating that character to screen becomes more of a problem than a solution.

But you do touch on a good few points that I believe myself - one day... one day, I will actually get off of my arse and do some kind of Video Game adaptation...
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44351 on: January 11, 2017, 12:36:20 am »
Well you said it there yourself. A story worth telling... Video Games, can, provide all of that and more.

The problem with some, I feel, is character and all that goes with that - games like MGS develop characters over such a long period, that, translating that character to screen becomes more of a problem than a solution.

But you do touch on a good few points that I believe myself - one day... one day, I will actually get off of my arse and do some kind of Video Game adaptation...

MGS the PS1 video game would make a good movie, with some adjustments. MGS the series is a giant mess of a story and I don't think it would ever work.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #44352 on: January 11, 2017, 12:51:34 am »
MGS the PS1 video game would make a good movie, with some adjustments. MGS the series is a giant mess of a story and I don't think it would ever work.
The beauty of the MGS saga is that it is completely fucking bonkers, though. You're doing the story and characters a disservice if any film/mini-series adaption isn't Jodorowsky/Lynch levels of barely-logically-hanging-together-but wonderfully-crafted insanity.

Kojima is a peculiar genius within videogames because he's an extremely engaged/engaging writer & director, who densely packs shitloads of fascinating curios into his longform work, but who also has quite hilariously questionable taste, and an almost parodically Japanese pop-culture overdramatic style. I love MGS for its 'flaws' as much as I do for the stuff it does unarguably brilliantly!  ;D
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44353 on: January 11, 2017, 12:52:25 am »

Apparently they wrote a script - who they are, I don't know... But I do remember reading a mag in the early 2000s that said that Ben Affleck was being lined up for the role. In fact, given how well he did with other endeavours, it could either be a flop or a hit... If he does well with Batman I do think he would make a good Solid Snake.

Anyhow, it was probably some shit lads mag that I read whilst having a shit, but again... How could you cram enough juice into a 2-3 hour film to appease both fans and cinemagoers?

It would all come down to character-cram, as in, a kind of Marvel-lous mashup of characters, much like Winter Soldier - a blend of actors to share as much screen-time as possible in order to drive the plot forward and resonate some kind of meaningful story. In reality, again, it'd have to be a serial deal - which again, carries with it more risks and pitfalls.

Long story short - it has to be the hardest source material to adapt and Metal Gear Solid would be the crown jewels of adaptations.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 12:53:57 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44354 on: January 11, 2017, 12:53:37 am »
The beauty of the MGS saga is that it is completely fucking bonkers, though. You're doing the story and characters a disservice if any film/mini-series adaption isn't Jodorowsky/Lynch levels of barely-logically-hanging-together-but wonderfully-crafted insanity.

Kojima is a peculiar genius within videogames because he's an extremely engaged/engaging writer & director, who densely packs shitloads of fascinating curios into his longform work, but who also has quite hilariously questionable taste, and an almost parodically Japanese pop-culture overdramatic style. I love MGS for its 'flaws' as much as I do for the stuff it does unarguably brilliantly!  ;D

Oh I'd enjoy every second of an MGS trilogy, but the normals would likely meltdown trying to make sense of it all.

"Why are the Patriots called the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo?"
"Why not?"
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #44355 on: January 11, 2017, 12:56:37 am »
Oh I'd enjoy every second of an MGS trilogy, but the normals would likely meltdown trying to make sense of it all.

"Why are the Patriots called the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo?"
"Why not?"

Blew my shit that did... I was coming off of a 10-hour shift and I was on the phone to my cousin in another time zone who was playing it roughly around the same "time".

I think Kojima went into proper Japanese mode with that... such a crazy idea that sort of bled into a lot of films moving into the mid 2000s...

I still don't get the story and I have even tried to ride it out with Cannabis and spoilers.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44356 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:13 am »
Blew my shit that did... I was coming off of a 10-hour shift and I was on the phone to my cousin in another time zone who was playing it roughly around the same "time".

I think Kojima went into proper Japanese mode with that... such a crazy idea that sort of bled into a lot of films moving into the mid 2000s...

I still don't get the story and I have even tried to ride it out with Cannabis and spoilers.

I could try explaining it but I would almost certainly be wrong. I think in the end I settled for "cocaine's a hell of a drug" and I stand by that.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44357 on: January 11, 2017, 10:54:11 am »
Watched The Program yesterday.

Watched it cause couldn't be arsed reading (even though it would take less time) details about his life and how he did it. I would imagine they maybe took some liberties with some of the stuff that happened or with some characters ( I smell glorification of that Times' journo) but at the end of the day Armstrong is a lying cheat so there you have it.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44358 on: January 11, 2017, 01:27:08 pm »
Watched The Program yesterday.

Watched it cause couldn't be arsed reading (even though it would take less time) details about his life and how he did it. I would imagine they maybe took some liberties with some of the stuff that happened or with some characters ( I smell glorification of that Times' journo) but at the end of the day Armstrong is a lying cheat so there you have it.

Neil? Lance? Alexander?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44359 on: January 11, 2017, 01:31:10 pm »
La La Land is lovely.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”