Author Topic: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar  (Read 55226 times)

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Saudi Arabia has severed ties with Qatar
« Reply #240 on: October 23, 2018, 08:13:14 am »
How long before Saudi oil/money runs out and America can stop protecting them?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:58 am »

Erdogan Says a Saudi Team Planned Khashoggi’s Killing

By Richard Pérez-Peña
Oct. 23, 2018

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, having promised to reveal the “naked truth” of a Saudi plot to kill the journalist Jamal Khashoggi, said on Tuesday in a speech to Parliament that a team including Saudi generals had flown in to carry out the mission.

Mr. Erdogan’s much-anticipated address came after more than two weeks of carefully orchestrated leaks to the media by Turkey that implicated the highest levels of the government of Saudi Arabia in the death of Mr. Khashoggi.

Saudi Arabia and Turkey are regional rivals, and that Mr. Khashoggi was killed in a Saudi diplomatic building has added to the intrigue and complexity of the case, something Mr. Erdogan addressed early in his speech.

“This murder might have been committed at a consulate building which may be considered Saudi Arabian land, but it rests within the borders of Turkey,” Mr. Erdogan said, adding that the Vienna Convention “cannot allow the investigation of this murder to be concealed behind the armor of immunity.”

Mr. Erdogan said that he would call King Salman of Saudi Arabia and ask that the case be adjudicated in Istanbul, not Riyadh or elsewhere in Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi government maintained at first that Mr. Khashoggi had left the consulate alive and well before reversing course. Since admitting on Friday that Mr. Khashoggi had been killed at the consulate, Saudi Arabia has claimed that his death was accidental and that the operation was not authorized by the country’s crown prince.

Turkish and Western intelligence officials and politicians have rejected that account as not credible, and Mr. Erdogan made clear in his speech on Tuesday that he held the same view.

“On whose orders have these people come?” he said. “We’re seeking answers. Why has the consulate general building not been opened right away but days after? We’re seeking answers. When the murder was so clear, why have so many inconsistent statements been made? Why has the body of someone, the killing of whom has been officially admitted, has not been found?”

Mr. Khashoggi, 59, was a Saudi who had been close to members of the royal family and to Mr. Erdogan, became a critic of the kingdom as the powerful Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, cracked down on dissent. Mr. Khashoggi, who wrote columns for The Washington Post, moved last year to the United States.

His death has badly damaged the reputation of the kingdom and Prince Mohammed, who had held himself out as a leader with plans to reform Saudi Arabia’s economy and society. Shortly before Mr. Erdogan spoke, the Saudis opened a much-anticipated investment conference in Riyadh — though in response to the Khashoggi killing, many government officials and financial leaders from around the world had pulled out of the event.

The scandal has soured relations between Saudi Arabia and the United States — as well as other Western nations — and worsened the already frosty dealings between Turkey and Saudi Arabia, two regional powers.

Hours before Mr. Erdogan’s speech, the newspaper Sabah, which is known for its close ties to the presidency, published details that portrayed the attaché of the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul, whom they named as Ahmad Abdullah al-Muzaini, as the main orchestrator of the murder. Mr. Muzaini, the deputy head of the consulate, was the main Saudi intelligence representative there, the newspaper reported, citing Turkish officials.

Mr. Muzaini, the Saudi attaché, was at the consulate when Mr. Khashoggi visited it on Sept. 28; flew later that day to the Saudi capital, Riyadh, and met with the deputy chief of Saudi intelligence, Ahmad Asiri; and returned to Istanbul on Oct. 1 to carry out the assassination the next day, Sabah reported.

The newspaper described Mr. Muzaini as the “black box” of the operation,” and said his movements had been tracked by Turkish intelligence and photographic evidence gathered by the police.

The report was another in a steady stream of anonymous leaks and public statements from Turkish officials over recent weeks that pointed to a premeditated plan at the highest levels of the Saudi government to kill Mr. Khashoggi, undermining Saudi denials and keeping up international pressure on the kingdom to come clean.

On Monday, the Turks leaked images of a Saudi official who resembled Mr. Khashoggi and dressed in his clothes after he was killed, walking around Istanbul, creating a trail of surveillance camera images that appeared to have been intended to support the original Saudi narrative. Saudis briefed on the matter confirmed the ruse.

The use of a look-alike bolstered the Turkish case for premeditation, and at the least, showed an attempt to cover up the killing. On Monday, the spokesman for Mr. Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party, Omer Celik, described the death of Mr. Khashoggi as “monstrously planned.”

Mr. Khashoggi went to the consulate on Sept. 28 to request documents confirming his divorce, so that he could marry his fiancée. Sabah reported that at 2 p.m. that day, Mr. Muzaini flew out of Istanbul’s second airport, Sabiha Gokcen International Airport.

Mr. Khashoggi was killed on Oct. 2 after he returned to the consulate, about 1:15 p.m., to pick up the paperwork he had requested. Mr. Muzaini flew out of Ataturk Airport at 9 p.m. that night, Sabah said.

A team of 15 Saudis who flew to Istanbul on the day Mr. Khashoggi died, several of them with ties to the crown prince, have been identified by Turkish officials as being involved in the killing. They all left the country hours after they had arrived.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/23/world/europe/turkey-saudi-arabia-erdogan.html
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #242 on: October 23, 2018, 11:01:58 am »
So much for spelling out what happened - hasn't really said anything new at all.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: October 23, 2018, 11:02:24 am »
^Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:58 am »
So much for spelling out what happened - hasn't really said anything new at all.
Exactly, i expected him to tell where the body is etc. He kept implying the prince did it but then again he said "we hope there is a fair court and sentencing in saudi arabia regarding this case".

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2018, 11:10:34 am »
The Saudi's will give him a huge amount of hush money.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: October 23, 2018, 11:27:13 am »
Nah we are only good with Qatar in Middle East ;D Turkey and Saudi Arabia always had deep hatred for each other. Still maybe not Iran vs Saudi Arabia level but we just don't get along well historically. Probably the only reason we are not saying more is USA asked us to do so.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #247 on: October 23, 2018, 03:04:46 pm »
They are saying parts of his body have been found.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #248 on: October 23, 2018, 03:43:16 pm »

Definitely the result of a fistfight ::)

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: October 23, 2018, 06:27:33 pm »
and found in saudi consul general's house reports say, sickening stuff.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: October 23, 2018, 06:38:19 pm »
The biggest take-away from the Erdogan speech is that he has MBS in his sights imo, with the path left open to the Saudi king to remove him and put in a 'better' successor. It's a positive move from Turkey, for now at least.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 06:39:59 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #251 on: October 23, 2018, 09:31:47 pm »
How long before Saudi oil/money runs out and America can stop protecting them?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The world moved on from whale blubber when new technologies were developed to extract and process petroleum. So basically, the petroleum industry saved the whales.

And so why not new technologies eventually being the death of oil...long before it actually runs out?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: October 23, 2018, 09:37:21 pm »

No, Erdogan wants a more friendly policy towards Turkey. Maybe another Turkey-indebted Prince in charge?
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #255 on: October 24, 2018, 08:31:57 am »
https://mobile.twitter.com/manal_alsharif/status/1054737221507522560

:'(

That’s like something out of Game of Thrones. The son of the murdered man must appear at the court of his killers and accept their ‘condolences’. Didn’t Rafiq Hariri’s son go through a similar process in 2005 when he had to bow the knee to Hezbollah?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 24, 2018, 08:36:49 am »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: October 24, 2018, 08:53:55 am »
There's barbaric and then there's this. Sickening doesn't even come close.

Even more sinister is the King pointing and the armed guard in the background.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 24, 2018, 02:27:19 pm »
Even more sinister is the King pointing and the armed guard in the background.
Perhaps even worse is the message that sends to all other Saudis. "You will do what we want, how we want, when we want, and you will bow and say 'thank you' for it"
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #260 on: October 24, 2018, 02:46:12 pm »
What the absolute fuck, it's like from a scene of Game of Thrones having to bend the knee to the Lannisters and they will continue to get away with this shit, just because they are filthy rich.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: October 24, 2018, 03:02:46 pm »
In the interest of fairness and transparency (the fundamental difference between these c*nts and those who wish to be better people), here is the video:

https://twitter.com/fqadi/status/1054750926282678272

The king was pointing his finger at the guy next to him, and Salah offered his hand to the prince first.

In a way it's good that posters from better managed places see these things, but the necessary duplicity to survive is nothing new to the rest. The kid did the best with the cards he's played, it's what it is. If his father's murder improves his situation in there, perhaps opens an opportunity for him to leave if that's his desire, good.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2018, 04:31:01 am »
Pipebombs got Saudi Arabia off the news...

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: October 25, 2018, 03:08:25 pm »
Khashoggi murder: CIA Director Gina Haspel 'heard Khashoggi audio'

CIA director Gina Haspel has heard audio recordings that Turkey claims capture the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, media reports say.

They say Ms Haspel was allowed to listen to the audio during a visit to Turkey earlier this week.

Ms Haspel travelled to Turkey on Monday. On Wednesday Turkey's Sabah newspaper said she had listened to the recordings.

Now, sources quoted by the Washington Post and Reuters news agency have backed up the reports.

A person "familiar with the audio" told the Washington Post that it was "compelling".

Ms Haspel is due to brief President Trump on her visit later on Thursday.

There is still no sign of the body.

The latest focus appears to be on a well in the garden of the Saudi consulate building.

As with much of the investigation there have been conflicting reports. The Anadolu agency initially reported the Saudis had denied permission for it to be searched, only for broadcaster NTV to say later that permission had been given.

On Tuesday there were similar conflicting reports over whether Khashoggi's belongings had been found in suitcases in a Saudi diplomatic car.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45977041

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: October 25, 2018, 04:34:33 pm »
I’m intrigued to know what happens now to the killers. Probably all of them are MBS loyalists, maybe even his friends. Now, with the world’s eyes on Saudi Arabia, they maybe have to be sacrificed. That’s another thing that autocracies do well of course. One minute you are part of the inner circle, the next you are consigned to hell. For the boss to maintain his innocence it’s necessary that his friends shall die.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #266 on: October 25, 2018, 04:41:52 pm »
I’m intrigued to know what happens now to the killers. Probably all of them are MBS loyalists, maybe even his friends. Now, with the world’s eyes on Saudi Arabia, they maybe have to be sacrificed. That’s another thing that autocracies do well of course. One minute you are part of the inner circle, the next you are consigned to hell. For the boss to maintain his innocence it’s necessary that his friends shall die.

Just watched the BBC documentary about the Assad dynasty. Bashar brought his brother in law Assef Shawkat back from exile to "resolve" problems the rebels were causing. When Shawkat started to favour dialogue, rather than shelling and gassing, he was the subject of a bomb blast in the heavily guarded Defence Ministry.

Dictators have a way of resolving personnel issues with simple brutality.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 25, 2018, 04:45:37 pm »
Just watched the BBC documentary about the Assad dynasty. Bashar brought his brother in law Assef Shawkat back from exile to "resolve" problems the rebels were causing. When Shawkat started to favour dialogue, rather than shelling and gassing, he was the subject of a bomb blast in the heavily guarded Defence Ministry.

Dictators have a way of resolving personnel issues with simple brutality.

Haven’t seen that yet Howard, but intend to give it a go.

(Didn’t Saddam do a similar thing with his beloved uncle too? Although I have a feeling that poor chap’s death was even more personal and close up).

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: October 25, 2018, 07:20:52 pm »
Haven’t seen that yet Howard, but intend to give it a go.

(Didn’t Saddam do a similar thing with his beloved uncle too? Although I have a feeling that poor chap’s death was even more personal and close up).

Think of the Godfather, without the happy wedding party, the Assad family  Sonny dies in a car crash, Fredo becomes Capo and Micheal steps in to save his bacon and win the war. And starring Putin as a resurrected Luca Brasi.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: October 26, 2018, 08:49:55 am »

They will probably execute some poor innocent shepherd, saying he was the head of criminal organisation.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 26, 2018, 05:22:17 pm »
They will probably execute some poor innocent shepherd, saying he was the head of criminal organisation.

And a Shia shepherd to boot.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 26, 2018, 05:50:47 pm »
Khashoggi fiancée snubs Trump invitation to White House

The fiancée of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi says she has declined an invitation to the White House by US President Donald Trump accusing him of not being sincere about investigating the killing.

Hatice Cengiz told Turkish TV she thought the invitation was aimed at influencing public opinion in the US.

In a tearful television interview on Friday, Ms Cengiz recounted the day her fiancé vanished, saying she would never have let her partner enter the consulate if she had thought that the "Saudi Arabia authorities would hatch a plot" to kill him.

"I demand that all those involved in this savagery from the highest to the lowest levels are punished and brought to justice," she told Haberturk TV.

She said she had not been contacted by any Saudi officials but that she was unlikely to go to Saudi Arabia for a funeral should Khashoggi's missing body eventually be found.

Saudi Arabia's public prosecutor is now saying that Khashoggi's murder was "premeditated", and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has called on Riyadh to admit who ordered the killing and where the body is.

The US-based writer's eldest son arrived in the US from Saudi Arabia on Thursday, along with his family. The Saudi-US citizen had been barred from leaving Saudi Arabia because of his father's criticism of the country's leadership, but this sanction was recently lifted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45989356

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 26, 2018, 05:55:34 pm »
From the same article

The European Parliament on Thursday passed a nonbinding resolution urging an EU-wide arms embargo on Saudi Arabia in response to the murder.

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20181018IPR16536/meps-demand-end-to-eu-arms-exports-to-saudi-arabia

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: November 2, 2018, 10:59:41 pm »
Khashoggi murder: Turkish leader blames Saudi state directly

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has for the first time accused the Saudi government directly of murdering journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

But stressing Turkey's "friendly" ties with Saudi Arabia, he added that he did not believe King Salman was involved.

"We know that the perpetrators are among the 18 suspects detained in Saudi Arabia," he wrote in the Washington Post, where Khashoggi had written a column.

"We also know that those individuals came to carry out their orders: Kill Khashoggi and leave. Finally, we know that the order to kill Khashoggi came from the highest levels of the Saudi government."

Writing that the murder had involved a "lot more than a group of security officials", President Erdogan called for "the puppet masters behind Khashoggi's killing" to be exposed.

"No one should dare to commit such acts on the soil of a Nato ally again," he said. "If anyone chooses to ignore that warning, they will face severe consequences."

He complained that no action had been taken against the Saudi consul general, who has left Turkey, and accused the Saudi public prosecutor of failing to co-operate with the investigation "and answer even simple questions".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46077894
« Last Edit: November 2, 2018, 11:18:22 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: November 2, 2018, 11:17:00 pm »
Khashoggi murder: Body 'dissolved in acid'

A top Turkish official, presidential adviser Yasin Aktay, has said he believes Jamal Khashoggi's body was dissolved in acid after being cut up.

The "only logical conclusion", he said, was that those who had killed the Saudi journalist in Istanbul had destroyed his body "to leave no trace behind".

Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi rulers, was killed inside the country's consulate on 2 October.

No forensic evidence has been provided to prove his body was dissolved.

"The reason they dismembered Khashoggi's body was to dissolve his remains more easily", Mr Aktay told the Hurriyet Daily newspaper.

"Now we see that they did not only dismember his body but also vaporised it."

The claims came as Khashoggi's fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, called on world leaders to "bring the perpetrators to justice", in an editorial for five newspapers, including the Guardian and the Washington Post.

Meanwhile, reports quote Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman as telling the US he considered Khashoggi to be a dangerous Islamist.

The reported phone call to the White House came before Saudi Arabia admitted Khashoggi had been killed.

Saudi Arabia has denied the comments were made or that its royal family was involved in the killing, and says it is "determined to find out all the facts".

Istanbul's prosecutor confirmed on Wednesday that the writer had been strangled.

What was said in the crown prince's alleged phone call?

During the call with President Donald Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and national security adviser John Bolton, Prince Mohammed said Khashoggi had been a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, a transnational Islamist organisation, the Washington Post reports.

The phone call is reported to have taken place on 9 October, a week after Khashoggi disappeared.

Prince Mohammed also reportedly urged the White House to preserve the US-Saudi alliance.

In a statement to the newspaper, Khashoggi's family denied he had been a member of the Muslim Brotherhood and said the murdered writer had himself denied this repeatedly in recent years.

"Jamal Khashoggi was not a dangerous person in any way possible. To claim otherwise would be ridiculous," the statement said.

There is still no consensus on how Khashoggi died. He entered the consulate to sort out documents for his marriage.

But on Wednesday Turkey said he had been strangled immediately after entering the consulate and his body dismembered "in accordance with plans made in advance".

In an editorial published in five international newspapers, Ms Cengiz said Khashoggi had just bought a house and wished to start a family.

She described the "anguish" she had experienced since his "brutal, barbaric and ruthless" death.

"We must all send a clear message that authoritarian regimes cannot kill journalists ever again."

She called on governments around the world to take action to reveal the truth, accusing the United States of taking a position "devoid of moral foundation."

"If the democracies of the world do not take genuine steps to bring to justice the perpetrators of this brazen, callous act - one that has caused universal outrage among their citizens - what moral authority are they left with?" she asked.

Although their US visas have been revoked, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said it would be a "handful more weeks" before the US knew enough to impose sanctions on individuals involved in Khashoggi's killing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-46070087

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #275 on: November 7, 2018, 04:57:17 pm »
All those brave members of the House of Saud should be proud that they've killed this barbaric threat to Middle Eastern peace:

Spoiler
[close]

Full story: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/01/world/middleeast/yemen-starvation-amal-hussain.html

« Last Edit: November 7, 2018, 05:00:28 pm by Nobby Reserve »
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #276 on: November 11, 2018, 10:44:45 am »
Now that the outrage has died down, it's back to business as usual.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/11/jamal-khashoggi-murder-britain-sells-arms-to-saudi-arabia

Jamal Khashoggi murder fails to stop Britain selling arms to the Saudis

As a Foreign Office minister spoke out on the killing, trade officials were in the kingdom promoting closer military links

Britain has pursued its assiduous courtship of Saudi Arabia despite the murder of the journalist Jamal Khashoggi, with diplomats and Ministry of Defence officials meeting their counterparts in the kingdom to discuss closer economic, military and political ties.

The discussions have taken place as Britain enters the final phase of negotiations to sell more Typhoon jets to Riyadh. They are similar to those used in the Saudi-led bombing of Yemen in a war that has caused a humanitarian disaster.

Britain sells billions of pounds of weapons to the countries bombing Yemen and is keen to strengthen its ties after Brexit. In July last year, the government confirmed it had created a dedicated Gulf region working group to promote “high-level dialogue with key trading partners to progress our trade and investment relationships”. Since then, civil servants have regularly visited the region for confidential talks to prepare for future deals once Britain leaves the European Union.

A delegation from the Department for International Trade visited the Eastern Province chamber of commerce in Dammam in Saudi Arabia on 2 October – the day Khashoggi was murdered. Alastair Long, the UK’s deputy trade commissioner for the Middle East and director of trade for Saudi Arabia, stressed that Britain was keen to create alternative markets and that Saudi Arabia “is at the head of these markets”.

On 31 October, another UK government delegation visited Riyadh for a meeting with the Gulf Cooperation Council secretariat. A press release from the council said the meeting discussed expanding “the horizons of political, security, military and commercial cooperation”. Only 24 hours earlier, Alistair Burt, the Foreign Office minister for the Middle East, had suggested that the Khashoggi murder could affect Britain’s military relationship with the Saudis and support for the war in Yemen.

Andrew Smith, of Campaign Against Arms Trade, said: “As the crisis worsens, and even after the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, it is clear that Downing Street is more concerned with securing arms sales than promoting human rights.”

The pressure is likely to increase after Turkey’s president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, revealed that he had given recordings of Khashoggi being murdered to Saudi Arabia, the US, Germany, France and Britain.

This week British and Saudi defence officials and contractors are expected to meet at the Bahrain International Airshow. The organisers say there will be a 40% increase in the number of country pavilions, with delegations from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Britain and Taiwan. British and Saudi officials are negotiating the sale of 48 Typhoon aircraft, following the signing of a memorandum of intent in March. Production could start as early as next year.

At least 57,538 civilians and combatants have been killed in Yemen since the beginning of 2016, according to the Armed Conflict Location & Event Data Project. “The Saudi-led coalition is inflicting a humanitarian catastrophe on Yemen,” Smith said. “And yet BAE Systems and the UK government are doing everything they can to sell even more fighter jets to the regime.”

A spokeswoman for the trade department said: “We will not pursue trade to the exclusion of human rights – they can and should be complementary.”

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #277 on: November 11, 2018, 11:16:54 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/11/jamal-khashoggi-murder-britain-sells-arms-to-saudi-arabia

A spokeswoman for the trade department said: “We will not pursue trade to the exclusion of human rights – they can and should be complementary.”

They might be murderers and human rights violators. But if they come to us waving a lot of greens, we will continue to do business because they are complementary. Business is business. Human rights violations are well.. buried under a lot of greens.

Somewhere far east, Kim Jung Un ponders.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2018, 04:51:54 pm »
Jamal Khashoggi murder: Canadian intelligence 'has heard tape'

Canadian intelligence has heard an audio recording of the killing of the Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has confirmed.

"Canada has been fully briefed up on what Turkey had to share," he said.

Mr Trudeau is the first Western leader to confirm his country has listened to the purported tape of the murder at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul.

Turkey's president said on Saturday that he had given copies to the US, UK, Germany, France and Saudi Arabia.

"We gave them the tapes," Recep Tayyip Erdogan told reporters before flying to Paris to for a gathering of world leaders commemorating the 100th anniversary of the end of World War One. "They've also listened to the conversations, they know it."

However, the US has not said whether it has received a tape and France's foreign minister has said it is not in possession of one as far as he is aware.

In a separate development on Monday, Turkey reacted angrily after French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian contradicted Mr Erdogan's assertion that France had received an audio recording from the consulate and accused the Turkish leader of playing "political games".

"The truth isn't out yet. We want to know the truth, the circumstances of his death and the identity of the culprits. Then we will take the necessary actions," Mr Le Drian told France 2 television. "If the Turkish president has information to give us, he must give it to us. For now, I don't know about it."

Asked if that meant Mr Erdogan was lying, the foreign minister replied: "It means that he has a political game to play in these circumstances."

The Turkish presidency's communications director called the comments "unacceptable" and insisted a representative of French intelligence had listened to the tape on 24 October.

"If there is miscommunication between the French government's various agencies, it is up to the French authorities - not Turkey - to take care of that problem," Fahrettin Altun told AFP news agency.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46183630
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:54:50 pm by ShakaHislop »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: November 15, 2018, 07:44:21 pm »

Pay offs

The Trump administration is seeking ways to extradite an enemy of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, NBC News reported Thursday, citing two senior U.S. officials and two other people briefed on the requests. The effort is intended to get the Turkish leader to ease pressure on Saudi Arabia over the killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/15/trump-admin-considers-khashoggi-murder-trying-to-extradite-gulen.html

AND

White Washes
Saudi Arabia says it will pursue the death penalty for five suspects charged with ordering and carrying out the killing of the Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi, in the latest effort to distance the country’s de facto ruler, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, from the grisly murder.

The Saudi public prosecutor claimed Saudi agents, including the head of forensics at the national intelligence service and members of Prince Mohammed’s security detail, had orders to abduct Khashoggi but decided to kill him when he resisted. The claim had been contradicted by an earlier Saudi finding that the murder was premeditated.

Prince Mohammed was not implicated in the murder, a spokesman for the prosecutor said. Turkey has been formally asked to hand over audio tapes that allegedly capture the journalist’s death, he added.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/15/saudi-prosecutor-seeks-death-penalty-in-jamal-khashoggi-case