Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 830297 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3120 on: April 8, 2018, 07:31:06 pm »
Grandad lived down here when i was a kid so was always down there

Loved these houses as a kid on the Corner of Priory Road and Argyle - before & after(getting done up and looking boss)
Mum lived off Priory as a kid (Bingley Road) so I took her down there recently for a walk down memory lane. She loved it, reckoned it hadn’t changed much all things considered. “And this was where your Aunties sweet shop was” :) Gets to you trying to picture it back then and thinking of all those lives lived. Dad lived on Sunbury further up so I took her down there too. House where he was born in 1933 still looked smart and solid, big bay window. They built them well back then. As for Mum’s it had to be rebuilt after the Luftwaffe dropped a little gift off (luckily after they’d been evacuated to New Lane near Burscough). When she gets on the air raid stories it’s almost impossible to imagine what it must’ve been like.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #3121 on: April 8, 2018, 07:34:54 pm »
Mum lived off Priory as a kid (Bingley Road) so I took her down there recently for a walk down memory lane. She loved it, reckoned it hadn’t changed much all things considered. “And this was where your Aunties sweet shop was” :) Gets to you trying to picture it back then and thinking of all those lives lived. Dad lived on Sunbury further up so I took her down there too. House where he was born in 1933 still looked smart and solid, big bay window. They built them well back then. As for Mum’s it had to be rebuilt after the Luftwaffe dropped a little gift off (luckily after they’d been evacuated to New Lane near Burscough). When she gets on the air raid stories it’s almost impossible to imagine what it must’ve been like.
Boss that mate.Love stuff like that :)

You know if shes got any old photos of the area or does anyone on here know where i can get some?
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3122 on: April 8, 2018, 07:41:26 pm »
Boss that mate.Love stuff like that :)

You know if shes got any old photos of the area or does anyone on here know where i can get some?
Will ask her mate, she might have. My aunties still around too so will see if she’s got a pic of the sweet shop. “Mitchell’s” it was called. But we’re going back a while here!

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3123 on: April 9, 2018, 12:55:45 am »
Will ask her mate, she might have. My aunties still around too so will see if she’s got a pic of the sweet shop. “Mitchell’s” it was called. But we’re going back a while here!
Anything olds boss mate.Ta... ;) Wanna get a load framed for my mam for her hallway

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: April 9, 2018, 06:52:29 am »
Anything olds boss mate.Ta... ;) Wanna get a load framed for my mam for her hallway
You’ll have to sneak one in with a superimposed head and a funny speech bubble and #sausages in the corner, she won’t notice ;D

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3125 on: April 9, 2018, 03:34:42 pm »
You’ll have to sneak one in with a superimposed head and a funny speech bubble and #sausages in the corner, she won’t notice ;D
haha fuck off,she's not mentally ill mate :lmao

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: April 9, 2018, 07:26:12 pm »
haha fuck off,she's not mentally ill mate :lmao
;D ;D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3127 on: April 9, 2018, 07:33:17 pm »
Seriously though, that’s a nice idea that is Capon, might try and do something similar. When dad was alive the house was full of Frank Green’s paintings of the area. About a dozen of them. Their old school, the King Harry pub, the Methodist church where the petrol station is now. Funny thing about being from round there (and they lived all over the place, Scotland, Wales) is the pride of being from there never left them.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: April 11, 2018, 03:29:18 pm »
Drawn a blank on the photo front Captain. Lots of old photos but they tend to be group pics where you can’t really tell where they are. Either that or one of my grandads sitting on the beach at New Brighton or West Kirby in huge trousers, pair of braces, shirt sleeves rolled up and a hanky on his head, you know the type of thing ;D

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3129 on: April 11, 2018, 05:28:33 pm »
Drawn a blank on the photo front Captain. Lots of old photos but they tend to be group pics where you can’t really tell where they are. Either that or one of my grandads sitting on the beach at New Brighton or West Kirby in huge trousers, pair of braces, shirt sleeves rolled up and a hanky on his head, you know the type of thing ;D

Got a photo of my grandad, in shirtsleeves and a collarless shirt, with a fag in his gob reading the Echo in the early seventies.

And guess what, the picture on the back page is Keegan scoring. Red Echo alright, even then.

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3130 on: April 12, 2018, 08:25:01 pm »
Haha Shame that,mate.Ta anyway.Asked a few people in the area(well my brother did) and turns out theyve got parents whove lived there since the war who might be able to help out.Probably come to nothing like but,fingers crossed

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3131 on: April 23, 2018, 09:12:54 pm »

Anyone know what the white car is? Jensen Interceptor?

Edit, it could be an E Type

It was an e type jag and it was owned by ricky whose parents owned the sweet shop in the picture , I lived over the road from it and it was called hollenbys before rickys mum and dad bought it . I was doing a job in sheltered accommodation a few years ago and when a woman  heard my surname asked if I lived off priory and turned out to be rickys mum who was well in her 80s then .

After they sold it in mid 70s an old yorkshire miner took it over called les whiteman who was a dead ringer for
Jim Bowen off bullseye and he turned it into even more of a little gold mine , he opened 365 days a year 8 in the morning until 10 at night until he sold it mid 80s .

The shop next to it "devitt properties " wouldnt have been open that long when that pic was taken apparently he used to play professional football for tranmere and his name was mcdevitt . Some great shops on priory road and on the other corner was a chemists which had a small cobblers incorporated int the building around the corner . The cobbler was mr Nixon and he used to alter the stripes on the players boots for liverpool . So if they were paid to wear gola but wanted to wear addidas he'd doctor the stripes to suit . He also famously had Bob Paisley charged with assault after an altercation in there .

And just off priory in lynholme road lived Joe Fagan in a modest three bed semi where he lived until the day he died .

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3132 on: April 23, 2018, 11:50:05 pm »

It was an e type jag and it was owned by ricky whose parents owned the sweet shop in the picture , I lived over the road from it and it was called hollenbys before rickys mum and dad bought it . I was doing a job in sheltered accommodation a few years ago and when a woman  heard my surname asked if I lived off priory and turned out to be rickys mum who was well in her 80s then .

After they sold it in mid 70s an old yorkshire miner took it over called les whiteman who was a dead ringer for
Jim Bowen off bullseye and he turned it into even more of a little gold mine , he opened 365 days a year 8 in the morning until 10 at night until he sold it mid 80s .

The shop next to it "devitt properties " wouldnt have been open that long when that pic was taken apparently he used to play professional football for tranmere and his name was mcdevitt . Some great shops on priory road and on the other corner was a chemists which had a small cobblers incorporated int the building around the corner . The cobbler was mr Nixon and he used to alter the stripes on the players boots for liverpool . So if they were paid to wear gola but wanted to wear addidas he'd doctor the stripes to suit . He also famously had Bob Paisley charged with assault after an altercation in there .

And just off priory in lynholme road lived Joe Fagan in a modest three bed semi where he lived until the day he died .
Cracking that mate.Got anymore stories? or pics?

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3133 on: April 24, 2018, 01:02:03 am »
^ brilliant - Mr. Nixon :D - great stuff

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3134 on: April 24, 2018, 07:41:14 am »
Boss that Gaz!  :)
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3135 on: April 24, 2018, 09:36:01 am »

Brilliant to be able to read someone bring a picture to life, thanks for that.

A bit of googling brings up that Tranmere did have a player from Liverpool called Kenny McDevitt, was a winger from 1950-1960.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3136 on: April 26, 2018, 08:31:23 pm »
Does anyone know the new twitter name of angelcake - angela something?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: April 26, 2018, 09:30:04 pm »
Does anyone know the new twitter name of angelcake - angela something?
@AngelCakePics John
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3138 on: April 26, 2018, 09:37:17 pm »
Cheers mate, I couldn't find it before, thought it was to do with her issue :)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: April 28, 2018, 09:42:34 pm »
Go to this lad's link in his tweet for an 1859 painted overhead scene of a large chunk of Lpool,

https://twitter.com/Waite99D/status/990260350950965248

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3140 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:13 am »
Go to this lad's link in his tweet for an 1859 painted overhead scene of a large chunk of Lpool,

https://twitter.com/Waite99D/status/990260350950965248

Excellent Tsar.

I'm trying to guess the location of those two windmills that are prominent in the lower 1/3rd part of the painting.

To be honest, I would have thought there might be more windmills in the picture, all those rope winding ones needed to provide for the sailing ships, but I guess by 1859 most may well have fallen into disuse and likely would have been demolished with the rise of steam powered machinery to provide the supply of rope.

Couple of other casual observations, no sign of the railways in that scene yet, I suppose it was early days of rail and although just on the cusp, they hadn't quite got a dominant hold of the landscape or of the economy at that stage. And those large docks on the Birkenhead side look intriguing. Although it's just an artists impression and not geographically particularly accurate, they do seem to be just about where C & L would develop.

But it's a really interesting picture I've not seen before and from a time of great flux in the development of the city.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline exilescouse

• Lack sufficient letters for real testicles.....
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #3141 on: April 29, 2018, 03:56:45 am »

I remember standing outside the offy on Priory waiting for a bus when Fagan pulled up, he was manager at the time.. He went in for a bottle whiskey and issued for his autograph when he came out. He said he didn't have a pen, the thought going through my head was wow, you are manager of Liverpol, the European champions and you don't have a pen. I'm not sure why I would think he always has a pen 

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: April 29, 2018, 08:23:39 am »
I remember standing outside the offy on Priory waiting for a bus when Fagan pulled up, he was manager at the time.. He went in for a bottle whiskey and issued for his autograph when he came out. He said he didn't have a pen, the thought going through my head was wow, you are manager of Liverpol, the European champions and you don't have a pen. I'm not sure why I would think he always has a pen 

It's amazing to think that he still lived literally 500 yards from the bus stop by the offy even though he was the most successful manager in world football season and had always stayed there before and after .

Opposite where the original picture was taken was a decent size grocery store called Marshall and Weetch , it's a card shop now and at the back of there was a set of garages that people used to rent out and I always remember as a kid the word getting out that a footballer rented one , this day we get told he's there so all shoot down hoping to see Keegan or Cormack etc  and get his autograph , gets there and were all like who the fuck Is this lad happily signing autographs turns out its Kit Fagan joes son who plays for tranmere .
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 08:29:43 am by gazzam1963 »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: April 29, 2018, 10:11:08 am »
Excellent Tsar.

I'm trying to guess the location of those two windmills that are prominent in the lower 1/3rd part of the painting.

To be honest, I would have thought there might be more windmills in the picture, all those rope winding ones needed to provide for the sailing ships, but I guess by 1859 most may well have fallen into disuse and likely would have been demolished with the rise of steam powered machinery to provide the supply of rope.

Couple of other casual observations, no sign of the railways in that scene yet, I suppose it was early days of rail and although just on the cusp, they hadn't quite got a dominant hold of the landscape or of the economy at that stage. And those large docks on the Birkenhead side look intriguing. Although it's just an artists impression and not geographically particularly accurate, they do seem to be just about where C & L would develop.

But it's a really interesting picture I've not seen before and from a time of great flux in the development of the city.

Gulley,

the one on the left looks to be about the Harlow street and Mill street area and the other seems to be at the junction of Park Place and Upper Warwick street (there was one very close to there in Park road).
He's done pretty well with the churches - although I can't see St Pat's at Park Place - the 'Blackie' is there and St Vincent de Paul in Park Lane. I wonder what the red flag on St James' church is all about.
Mike Royden might know about the shipbuilding, his family had a business at that time Queens/Brunswick dock area and I think over the water.
The railways. I can see a couple of puffs of white smoke in the top half of the pic, and there is a building just to the right of St Paul's church which has raised tracks coming out at the back but that's it apart from the Lime street edifice.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:35:02 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3144 on: April 30, 2018, 12:30:18 pm »
                                 ^^^^^

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3145 on: April 30, 2018, 01:01:50 pm »
                                 ^^^^^

Cheers Tsar.

It looks like it must have been quite impressive in height and size and from that map, have been about where Pickwick Street and Dombey Street are today.

I've just noticed the sheep grazing on that green space and that pond over to the right in the painting, I wonder what happened to that.  Filled in obviously, probably stagnant and stinking, but I'm always curious about these sort of things, the why's and such.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3146 on: April 30, 2018, 03:59:30 pm »
Gulley that's spot-on, with the small group of buildings they covered both. My G Grandfather lived in Dombey as early as 1873 so they must have been quite newly built then - mind you only one of the places he lived in from when he moved from Devon in the 1840s was already built by 1859. That pond is where his 1871 address would be - Violet Street.

On the water theme, did you notice the reservoir on High Park Street [bottom centre with the tower] and just missing from that scene is the Peacock Inn on Park Road. Here it is and a photo of the same - not bad accuracy.

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3147 on: May 1, 2018, 11:14:18 pm »
Grandad lived down here when i was a kid so was always down there

Loved these houses as a kid on the Corner of Priory Road and Argyle - before & after(getting done up and looking boss)

Priory Road shops

Priory Road

Corner of Priory/Arkles Lane

Oban Road

Argyle rd 1969

Argyle rd again and im guessing similar age to the Oban rd pic i posted

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3148 on: May 2, 2018, 02:18:50 am »

Feeling a bit stupid here. I've only just noticed the zoomable link. I've been struggling trying to see detail with the little one you originally posted.

Anyway, just pored over it and it's even better than I originally thought (and I can see where Lowry might have got inspiration with all those little figures).

There's actually quite a few windmills on there, I think I can even spot the Walton one.

And trains, yes, I can now see Exchange is on there and the elevated approach lines, even the Leeds Liverpool Canal, and you can even follow the line out to the junction just before Bankhall when it splits and the  Liverpool, Crosby and Southport Railway line peels off up towards the North whle the other part, the shared Liverpool, Ormskirk and Preston Railway and the Liverpool Bury Railway heads off inland.

Same with ship building being very much evident in closer detail, I can clearly see hulls being built up and on both sides of the Mersey.

One anomaly I noticed and is a bit puzzling, perhaps a bit of artistic licence is at play or the painting wasn't completed until later when it was included, is it looks very much like the Great Eastern is parked up in the Mersey (see 3rd snippet). That distinctive 5 funnel layout and the mast arrangement.

I know she visited Liverpool in 1861 and eventually met an ignomous end on the cast iron shore in later years, but she only did her maiden voyage in 1859 and as far as I can see, didn't visit Liverpool until 1861 according to Wiki

Upon Great Eastern's return to England, the ship was chartered by the British Government to transport troops to Quebec. 2,144 officers and men, 473 women and children, and 200 horses were embarked at Liverpool along with 40 paying passengers. The ship sailed on 25 June 1861 and went at full speed throughout most of the trip arriving at her destination 8 days and 6 hours after leaving Liverpool.

Including the over 400 crew, that's around 3000 people packed on her for that journey, amazing when you think of it.

Anyway, snips attached.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3149 on: May 2, 2018, 07:52:17 am »

The top right hand black and white picture is the double fronted house on the corner of priory road and hornsey , it was the surgery of doctor Reid who was my doctor and also our clubs doctor during the 60s and 70s .

Argyle and Oban road must have been built a good 30 years before all the rest of the roads along priory and were amazing house absolutely huge and had the cabbage hall inn at the top of the road . This even in the 90s still had all the wood panelling and push button bells inserted for service and a beautiful bowling green .

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3150 on: May 2, 2018, 08:24:55 am »

The top right hand black and white picture is the double fronted house on the corner of priory road and hornsey , it was the surgery of doctor Reid who was my doctor and also our clubs doctor during the 60s and 70s .

Argyle and Oban road must have been built a good 30 years before all the rest of the roads along priory and were amazing house absolutely huge and had the cabbage hall inn at the top of the road . This even in the 90s still had all the wood panelling and push button bells inserted for service and a beautiful bowling green .

Cant find it yet saw a map of anfield and Argyle mustve been built well before Oban cos on the map obans not there

this ones ....Plan of Liverpool – North Sheet (1890)

http://historic-liverpool.co.uk/old-maps-of-liverpool/plan-of-liverpool-north-sheet-1890/#5/73.067/27.334

cheers again mate.Dead interesting all this

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3151 on: May 2, 2018, 08:35:35 am »
Ackermann’s Panoramic View of Liverpool (1847)

http://historic-liverpool.co.uk/old-maps-of-liverpool/ackermanns-panoramic-view-of-liverpool-1847/#2/70.1/-57.6

theres a better pic on t'site

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3152 on: May 2, 2018, 08:47:23 am »

An older cousin of mine and her husband used to live in one of those houses back in about '59 or for around a year or so, can't remember exactly which one. It may even have been the red one bricked up next door.

From now distant memories, I think whichever house it was may have been split into two flats back then, I seem to recall climbing up stairs to get to it when inside when my dad took me round there when he went to help them do a spot of rewiring.

Her Mum, my aunt who was married to one of my Mums brothers, used to live down Arnley and I used to absolutely love visiting her and my Uncle when I was little as she worked at Jacobs so always had a huge tin of club biscuit rejects in the house.

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3153 on: May 2, 2018, 08:59:52 am »
An older cousin of mine and her husband used to live in one of those houses back in about '59 or for around a year or so, can't remember exactly which one. It may even have been the red one bricked up next door.

From now distant memories, I think whichever house it was may have been split into two flats back then, I seem to recall climbing up stairs to get to it when inside when my dad took me round there when he went to help them do a spot of rewiring.

Her Mum, my aunt who was married to one of my Mums brothers, used to live down Arnley and I used to absolutely love visiting her and my Uncle when I was little as she worked at Jacobs so always had a huge tin of club biscuit rejects in the house.

;D  Mam worked at jacobs for a bit  in early 80s so know what ye mean

Absolutely loved them houses in the pic when i was a kid.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3154 on: May 2, 2018, 09:15:31 am »
;D  Mam worked at jacobs for a bit  in early 80s so know what ye mean

Absolutely loved them houses in the pic when i was a kid.

I think some of us in the old arses thread had a discussion a few years ago, and quite a few of us seemed to have had a relative or knew someone who worked there and ensured supplies were plentiful to accompany a good drink of tea when visitors came round.

I have a theory that every so often, someone probably deliberately threw a lever at the wrong point during club production to ensure half of Liverpool got their cheap supply of bickies. I'd buy that person a drink or three if I ever met them. ;D

That particular aunt of mine was quite interesting, she worked at ROF Fazakerley during the war making and testing sten guns. It was hard to imagine it was this sweet old lady handing round the biscuits to us.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: May 2, 2018, 01:10:02 pm »

I wonder how long something like this picture took to complete, you'd need the weather and visibility to be on your side.
No doubt it was the GE though, total one off that ship. I noticed in the Wiki piece that it hit a small sailing vessel called the Jane in 1863 - I had a cousin fell from the rigging and drowned serving on a small sailing ship called Jane the same year during a transatlantic voyage!

Offline Capon Debaser

• Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
« Reply #3156 on: May 3, 2018, 06:57:00 pm »
I think some of us in the old arses thread had a discussion a few years ago, and quite a few of us seemed to have had a relative or knew someone who worked there and ensured supplies were plentiful to accompany a good drink of tea when visitors came round.

I have a theory that every so often, someone probably deliberately threw a lever at the wrong point during club production to ensure half of Liverpool got their cheap supply of bickies. I'd buy that person a drink or three if I ever met them. ;D
Haha the Robin Hood of Aintree forest with crackers or Jesus of Long Lane feeding the 5000 with Twiglets and Mikados

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: May 3, 2018, 07:06:04 pm »
Anyone ever read through this?  Can't remember if it's been posted before/I'm not trawling through 80 pages to see if it has.  Boss read though, a book from 1863 with recollections of a nonagenarian, so you're looking at someone born in the 1770s.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21324/21324-h/21324-h.htm
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline RedBootsTommySmith

• Kopite
« Reply #3158 on: May 6, 2018, 04:59:53 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbMUs6hEAdg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsNjN90GE3k

Just browsing through this thread and only just saw this post. Well done, Dave, really well done. I enjoyed watching those clips, the city never sleeps.
Victorious and glorious....

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3159 on: May 12, 2018, 07:27:41 pm »
A handmade ship (one of many) which me Grandad made usually at sea many years ago..

http://www.imagebam.com/image/e03b2c858958404

I believe there are also a few others somewhere in a few pubs in town along with one still in the family & one i think in the maritime museum,this one is far from his best too!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.