Poll

I go to the match and it's interesting how few friends I have that support England.. .If you are an LFC fan - do you support England?

YES! (And I'm English/British)
63 (23.2%)
NO! (And I'm English/British)
139 (51.1%)
I'm not English or British - here you are..
70 (25.7%)

Total Members Voted: 272

Author Topic: Liverpool fans that support England in Internationals..  (Read 24962 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Liverpool fans that support England in Internationals..
« Reply #200 on: April 20, 2020, 09:31:48 am »
Italia 90 I can remember crying when we lost.
Euro 92 I remember kind of it being funny how shite we were.
Euro 96 felt like a big deal and again I remember being gutted when we lost, especially for McManaman and Fowler.
World Cup 98 England were a good side and that Argentina game was immense, I was disappointed to lose it although very much doubt we’d have gone much further.
Euro 2000 we were white and we got to blame Phil Neville.
World Cup 2002, again I felt bad for the Liverpool players.
Euro 2004 was about the last time I felt disappointed to lose.

Since then have attitudes towards us and our players or worse, or maybe I’ve just become more aware of them? I have similar views to some already mentioned. I don’t actively cheer for the other team but I do find it strangely satisfying to picture all the people who probably give us shit through the season to be all upset. Especially the ones who hark back to Trippier’s feee kick being their greatest moment watching football. Just makes me feel extra blessed to support Liverpool to be honest. The memories created just in these last few years under Klopp surpass anything our national team have offered in my lifetime.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
« Reply #201 on: April 20, 2020, 10:27:06 am »
Now I fully understand where you as Liverpool fans are coming from regards England. I doubt theres ever been much love

I myself found that the period from 2000 to 2010 was the worst period where it was very easy to dislike and generally feel meh about the England team.

I did myself with a hatred of Manchester United and Chelsea I struggled to support a team that often had up to 7-10 players from both clubs in the squad.
Personally I didn't want to see John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, David Beckham etc etc win a trophy.

I'd have hated to have seen most of these berks be lauded and revered for the rest of there lives as World Cup or Euro's winners. Unbearable just thinking about it. Most of them not fit to lace the boots of the 1966 Squad.

Plus it coincided in a era where the media wanked over them as the golden generation and the players themselves arguably the first generation to earn silly money didn't endear themselves to most fans. They often acted and sounded like twats.
 The whole Sky Sports "And its Live Super duper Sunday bullshit didn't help really ramping it up in these years and club rivalries that previously didn't exist due to maybe a player transfer that in the 70's, 80's most didn't give a shit.

Also yes I agree a lot of England fans down the years with their behaviour and songs have been a national embarrassment.

But I will play Devils Advocate here for some of those fans who are genuine good fans. A lot are from smaller clubs

Its very easy as a Liverpool fan to generalise and think of these as fans of no mark small clubs.

Now we all dislike clubs but no club is a no mark club or no club has no history.

I bloody hate it when fans say a club is no mark, pointless or no history.

We may not all have a glories trophy laden history but within the fanbase or community there will be something they are proud of. (We employed Moyes twice  :butt)

So in essence as a club Liverpool your in the Ivory Tower you bigger, better and more successful than anyone and its easy to piss on the small chips of everyone else apart from one or two clubs maybe.

Not that most of you would care but in most walks of life that scenario that business or entity would be seen as arrogant twats. This would explain you may perceive your disliked a lot ( I don't actually thinks its the case as some on here have mentioned ). But success gives you a right to be proud and sing out load about it.  The respected are humble ( Jurgen Klopp and Kenny Dalglish are great as this )

Now if Im a Rochdale, Chesterfield, Barnsley etc fan then England is an escape from the hum drum of normal lower league football crap.
These fans who I respect for supporting such clubs rarely if ever see top players, managers, grounds or play in big games especially across Europe.

Something Liverpool as a club being so successful have weekly for decades. Why begrudge those fans these fleeting moments

England fans are like most clubs that have played in Europe at some point over the years the fans have embarrassed the club and themselves. All clubs have dickheads

Hope that makes sense

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 10:28:53 am by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 20, 2020, 10:40:04 am »
Love international tournaments, want England to do well but dont feel particularly sad when they inevitably get knocked out. Would rather Liverpool won the FA Cup than England won a tournament. Think that covers it ;D

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #203 on: April 20, 2020, 11:02:12 am »
Would rather Liverpool win a pre season under 10s game than England win.

Don't actively support opposition and hope England do well but never comparable to the feeling when Liverpool are playing.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #204 on: April 20, 2020, 12:13:09 pm »
Now I fully understand where you as Liverpool fans are coming from regards England. I doubt theres ever been much love

I myself found that the period from 2000 to 2010 was the worst period where it was very easy to dislike and generally feel meh about the England team.

I did myself with a hatred of Manchester United and Chelsea I struggled to support a team that often had up to 7-10 players from both clubs in the squad.
Personally I didn't want to see John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, David Beckham etc etc win a trophy.

I'd have hated to have seen most of these berks be lauded and revered for the rest of there lives as World Cup or Euro's winners. Unbearable just thinking about it. Most of them not fit to lace the boots of the 1966 Squad.

Plus it coincided in a era where the media wanked over them as the golden generation and the players themselves arguably the first generation to earn silly money didn't endear themselves to most fans. They often acted and sounded like twats.
 The whole Sky Sports "And its Live Super duper Sunday bullshit didn't help really ramping it up in these years and club rivalries that previously didn't exist due to maybe a player transfer that in the 70's, 80's most didn't give a shit.

Also yes I agree a lot of England fans down the years with their behaviour and songs have been a national embarrassment.

But I will play Devils Advocate here for some of those fans who are genuine good fans. A lot are from smaller clubs

Its very easy as a Liverpool fan to generalise and think of these as fans of no mark small clubs.

Now we all dislike clubs but no club is a no mark club or no club has no history.

I bloody hate it when fans say a club is no mark, pointless or no history.

We may not all have a glories trophy laden history but within the fanbase or community there will be something they are proud of. (We employed Moyes twice  :butt)

So in essence as a club Liverpool your in the Ivory Tower you bigger, better and more successful than anyone and its easy to piss on the small chips of everyone else apart from one or two clubs maybe.

Not that most of you would care but in most walks of life that scenario that business or entity would be seen as arrogant twats. This would explain you may perceive your disliked a lot ( I don't actually thinks its the case as some on here have mentioned ). But success gives you a right to be proud and sing out load about it.  The respected are humble ( Jurgen Klopp and Kenny Dalglish are great as this )

Now if Im a Rochdale, Chesterfield, Barnsley etc fan then England is an escape from the hum drum of normal lower league football crap.
These fans who I respect for supporting such clubs rarely if ever see top players, managers, grounds or play in big games especially across Europe.

Something Liverpool as a club being so successful have weekly for decades. Why begrudge those fans these fleeting moments

England fans are like most clubs that have played in Europe at some point over the years the fans have embarrassed the club and themselves. All clubs have dickheads

Hope that makes sense
A good, fair post I'd say, Paul.

As someone who has used the 'no mark' term on this topic I think I'll clarify a bit with my more serious head on.

My use of the term is mainly coloured by seeing assorted fanbases from various rundown towns turning up at Anfield singing sign on and going through the Tory songbook.

As far as clubs themselves are concerned, no club is 'no mark' in my eyes.
All have a place and all are entrenched in and important to their communities. They all matter.

I'm never surprised to see the kinds of fanbases who regularly follow England. The vast majority of club fans never get to travel to Europe or further with their clubs. They don't often get to see top players either, but by following England they get to see these places, maybe be part of a bigger thing and also see top quality opposition too.

It's also no surprise to me that the two fanbases that tend to shun England the most also happen to belong to England's most successful clubs. I know politics plays a part for both to an extent, but both are also far more successful than England could dream of being in their respective areas of competition. Basically, it's far more fun following Liverpool or Man United than it is following England. For many fanbases, the opposite is probably the case.

But anyway, I think every club is important. They all matter. 😊
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #205 on: April 20, 2020, 12:22:20 pm »
International games of any type don't spark any interest unless it's a major tournament last 8 and beyond game.
If there are any reds playing anywhere I may watch highlights.
International glory hunter who isn't arsed what nation wins.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #206 on: April 20, 2020, 12:44:24 pm »
I adore World Cup's and (to a lesser extent now they've ruined the format) Euro's even if the quality of them isn't on the level of elite club football for the most part anymore. But two or three matches a day when there's no club football on anyway? Absolutely boss. Euro 2008 was brilliant and that was without England in it, so regardless of England being in it I'd always follow international tournaments closely.

I always want England to win, though, because I'm English. Simple as that really. I can certainly empathise with apathy because that was me when Hodgson was manager. A conflicted part of me wanted England to lose to prove I/we were right about his ineptitude, because I knew they couldn't win a tournament with him anyway, so they may as well fail spectacularly. I mean, coming out the day before playing Uruguay and questioning whether Luis Suarez was world class has to be the most stupid interview I've ever seen. Fucking idiot. Iceland was tragic to watch during those 90 minutes but immediately hilarious afterwards to be honest.

Otherwise, I do find the whole supporting whoever England are playing thing a bit strange. The last World Cup was refreshing with everyone putting their club tribalisms aside and coming together and I feel a bit sorry for anyone who missed out on that for whatever reason. The England National Team can represent whatever you want it to represent. It doesn't have to represent the S*n, hooligans, or rival fans who hate us. To me it represents supporting the country I was born in with the people in life who I like, which ever club team they support. It helps that the likes of Terry and Ferdinand aren't playing anymore for sure.

Equally, though, I probably felt sad during the walk home from the pub after the Croatia game but by the next morning I was over it. That would never be the case with a big Liverpool defeat. Probably took me the whole summer to get over Gerrard's slip. Even the Europa League final in Basel a few years back was absolutely gut wrenching for weeks. So I think it's fair to say I'd take a League Cup over any England win. It would be a shame if I go through my whole life without England winning anything though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:32:06 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline RobinHood

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #207 on: April 20, 2020, 09:36:42 pm »
I do enjoy the World Cups and the Euros, 2018 was a fun summer, weather was good and people were getting into it, obviously not a patch on Liverpool though. To me it’s just a fun extra on the end of a season, I remember crying as a kid after losing on penalties to Argentina in 1998 (Owen goal) but as I grew up and people like John Terry started to play that’s when my interest dropped. I’ve never been one for hating other players of rival teams but he’s just a really bad egg.

If you follow English cricket you get the opportunity to go to some amazing places and England fans have got a great reputation all over the world, always behaving impeccably and they respect and appreciate where they are. That’s what following the England football team should be like, a great laugh with your friends in some amazing cities, and win or lose you have a great time. Unfortunately it’s not like that due to some of the people that tag along for the ride.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2020, 12:04:29 am »
An additional note it's been great sometimes to sit down with family and friends (reds and blues) and watch a game together - 90, 96 and 98 were great, and with Jack's Ireland too, those were great games to watch with the family

Which is a massive difference for me as me own mother, may she rest in peace, was a terrible bluenose. Couldn't ever watch our games with her  ;D

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2020, 09:42:51 pm »
As a Scot, I feel an affinity with Liverpudlians who don’t support the national team.

But I’ve always wanted to see Liverpool players do well, whether that’s Owen, Gerrard or Henderson. I wouldn’t want to revel in an England defeat if it meant Henderson missing a penalty for example.

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2020, 08:04:36 pm »
Anyone watching the Euro 96 rerun on ITV4? Not an England fan at all but I have fond remembers growing up as a 7 year old kid watching this tournament. Probably my earliest memories of footy. Mad to think a prime Robbie Fowler could only make the bench. Easy to forget how good McManaman was too.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2020, 08:08:42 pm »
Fowler should have gotten more England caps, a shame he was competing with Shearer. Euro 96 was great, is there any possibility of ITV4 showing a wider variety of games as opposed to just England? The Czech and Croatia sides were great; would love to see some of their matches again.

Oh, and I saw Pele at the beginning comparing Gascoigne to Dunga  :o
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Father Ted

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:37 pm »
Think they’re showing all the games on ITV Hub.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2020, 08:40:55 pm »
The real highlight of this tournament was Patrick Berger being a magnificent handsome bastard, Poborsky's chip and Suker's chip over Schmeichel.

Oh and the mad goalkeeper kits.

TV Schedule here:

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2020, 08:42:44 pm »
Think they’re showing all the games on ITV Hub.

Just the England games no?

Edit: ignore me, I'm being thick.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2020, 09:12:29 pm »
This is where my lust for Patrik Berger first emerged.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2020, 09:21:31 pm »
Might be a running theme during this run but complaints about no need for the new electronic boards for subs and the common consensus that the penalty against Stuart Pearce was very harsh truly are from a different era.

Edit: The same applies to Scotland qualifying for a major tournament.

Offline kloppagetime

• Is severely disappointed with Liverpool’s performance levels in 2020, especially pre-season.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: May 12, 2020, 08:17:07 am »
I know England didn't qualify for it but I would love for them to show a rerun of Euro 2008 instead of Euro 96, Euro 2008 is the greatest Euros ever imo along with Euro 2000.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #218 on: May 12, 2020, 08:26:28 am »

Agree with this. I've never been a big England fan but Euro 96/France 98 I cheered them on. When England beat Germany 5-1 I was made up and proud that the Liverpool players scored the goals. What tipped the balance for me was Euro 2004. Lampard and Terry tapping Gerrard up and then the circus in 2006 with the wags and a team I couldn't stand with Rooney, Ashley Cole, Terry et al. England fans booing Crouch.

I wasn't wildly cheering them on but I did warm to England in the last World Cup because Southgate is a decent fella and it was a good bunch in terms of the squad.

When the Nation's League started last summer I thought it'd be nice for England to win it for Hendo who'd just won the CL but England fans booing Van Dijk and Wijnaldum just because they were Liverpool players made me cheer outright for Holland.

I just can't abide a lot of England fans.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #219 on: May 12, 2020, 04:27:14 pm »
The fans are pretty bad, but the main reason I don't support them is because most of the players don't play for us. Take the last tournament for example. I was told this was a different England team, not having the likes of your Terry's, fat Franks or Rooney's, but the fact still remains. I can't bring myself to want the likes of Sterling or Pickford for example any success.

I'm not over the moon if they get beat, I just don't really care. Never been one for the internationals as many aren't. I thought Suarez scoring against them at the world cup was funny, given how much abuse he'd gotten over here.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 12, 2020, 04:47:50 pm »
That Ziege lad looks class, we should sign him.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #221 on: May 12, 2020, 04:52:57 pm »
That Ziege lad looks class, we should sign him.

The German Stephen Hendry? Not for me Clive.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »
The German Stephen Hendry? Not for me Clive.

;D

We could use him as the face of our Nivea ads.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:20 am »
ITV4 showing the England-Scotland game tonight. Dentist chair celebrations, Jamie Redknapp changing the game and Uri Geller moving the ball on the penalty spot.  :D

Offline mike777

• Anny Roader
« Reply #224 on: May 19, 2020, 12:24:40 pm »
ITV4 showing the England-Scotland game tonight. Dentist chair celebrations, Jamie Redknapp changing the game and Uri Geller moving the ball on the penalty spot.  :D

Mc Manaman virtually unplayable at times in that as well; you forget how good he was perhaps (and he won loads at Madrid as well after he sadly left us).

It was a pretty decent Scottish side as well; likes of Mc Allister and Collins certainly good players; Hendry solid etc.  They haven't had anything close to that level side since 1996

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 19, 2020, 02:46:51 pm »
Mc Manaman virtually unplayable at times in that as well; you forget how good he was perhaps (and he won loads at Madrid as well after he sadly left us).

It was a pretty decent Scottish side as well; likes of Mc Allister and Collins certainly good players; Hendry solid etc.  They haven't had anything close to that level side since 1996

Real Madrid's McManaman came off the bench for Liverpool England 5 - 1 Germany in 2001. For Nick Barmby. Barely got a touch of the ball for half an hour in a game England had wrapped up ;D

Watched the game the other day and christ you can see Hodgson's influence on Sven.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #226 on: May 19, 2020, 04:29:33 pm »
I watched that England vs Scotland game and thought McManaman looked really nervous, it wasn't until Redknapp came on in the second half that he actually got going.  Ron Atkinson going on about two big pacey forwards up front and getting in the channels was a theme throughout.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #227 on: May 19, 2020, 04:40:47 pm »
As a footnote, looking at the game in those 11 min highlights:
Looked like Johnson was playing a decent game. We bought him originally for the skills he displayed in this game. He still had it in 2014.
Cahill was shite.........why didn't he close Luis down to put him off for the winning goal??? he almost freezes within a metre of him.
Actually the Cahill - Jagielka defensive partnership looked shite on paper and was shite on the day.
Luis nearly caught hart out TWICE at his near post with a couple of cheeky inswingers :D
Muslera made some good saves. Hart was walking a tight-rope. Looked nervous as hell. Was this the game that he also went nuts on the ballboys??
Look at Luis setting up his first goal from quite far out and then ghosting into position for his first goal.........kids - try this at home / on the pitches..
Look at the way Luis just smashed his laces thru his second goal. No placement. just pure venom and aimed it in the general direction of the goal. Hart had no chance. Only luck would have stopped it.
Credit to Stevie for the assist.
 ;D

Why was Gerrard holding an Amazon delivery at the coin toss?...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.