Author Topic: Alberto Aquilani - good luck to the lad  (Read 149711 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Alberto Aquilani
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2012, 11:14:26 am »
Fair enough.

I just don't think he's that good a player to get too worried over. I would like to find that out for sure while he's with us so we don't regret it later...but that remains to be seen.

And with his intensity in midfield...i wasn't implying i want a brave scotty parker ingurland midfielder. I just don't want a soft shite in the centre of the park for us is all.

We'll see what happens with him i guess.

There are 2 main elements to midfield play. I value cloggers as much as anyone, but that's not all the midfield is about. I want Aquilani in the squad because I think he can do one of the midfield jobs better than any other midfielders we have, which means we'll have money free to spend on the high quality clogger I want. One of my gripes last summer was spending ungodly amounts of money on areas where the situation wasn't critical, with nothing left to spend on an alternative to Lucas on the back end of the midfield. That was stupid, and I said as much at the time. Why spend to replace Aquilani?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2012, 11:16:40 am »
Not wanting to bash Adam but that friendly was pretty telling; Spearing and Aquilani quickly ping-ponging the ball about, no sign of Adam. Suddenly he arrives (late) picks up the ball, does that slow turny thing he does on the ball, puts a foot on, looks up realises he has killed the momentum of the game and decides to cover it up by launching a massive ball up front to a striker who now has to pull it out of the air, bring it down and shoot, all while running at speed with a defender on his back. It was pretty awful.

Not according to the commentators who highlighted it as a positive. Me, I thought how the f8ck is the lad supposed to deal with that.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2012, 11:21:21 am »
Yeah, he really is a classic box-to-box midfielder.
More a club to club player for me, a veritable loanie wizard.

The lads had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2012, 11:24:32 am »
More a club to club player for me, a veritable loanie wizard.

The lads had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus.

because we have been acting as dickheads and blamed all the short comings of our squad on him when we finished 7th.
Sebastion Coates, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Samed Yesil, SinclairSama, Smichael Ngoo, Sryan McLaughlin, Sjordan Ibe, - The S Law

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2012, 11:28:16 am »
because we have been acting as dickheads and blamed all the short comings of our squad on him when we finished 7th.
I think you'll find that it was 8th and we blamed it all on Kenny Dalglish, apparently.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:10 am »
I think you'll find that it was 8th and we blamed it all on Kenny Dalglish, apparently.

The season when Rafa brought him !
Sebastion Coates, Suso, Sterling, Shelvey, Samed Yesil, SinclairSama, Smichael Ngoo, Sryan McLaughlin, Sjordan Ibe, - The S Law

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2012, 11:33:08 am »
The season when Rafa brought him !
Rodgers will be his what then....6th...7th, manager in 3-4 years?

That must be some kind of record.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2012, 11:38:25 am »
Personally would send Spearing out on loan and coach Henderson to play that defensive role and the deep playmaker role when required. I'd sell Adam as well

What about Allen/Aquilani?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2012, 11:38:48 am »

How many clubs did he have before Liverpool ? and its not as if he went to Dundee United (no offense to them) for his loans

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2012, 11:43:47 am »

Its Liverpool failure as a whole not his alone ! He was not even here for the last 2 sacking and dint play much in Rafa's sacking so I dont see the logic !

He is no world beater but he is a very good option for the position we are desperate to have options about

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2012, 11:54:15 am »
There are 2 main elements to midfield play. I value cloggers as much as anyone, but that's not all the midfield is about. I want Aquilani in the squad because I think he can do one of the midfield jobs better than any other midfielders we have, which means we'll have money free to spend on the high quality clogger I want. One of my gripes last summer was spending ungodly amounts of money on areas where the situation wasn't critical, with nothing left to spend on an alternative to Lucas on the back end of the midfield. That was stupid, and I said as much at the time. Why spend to replace Aquilani?

I see what you're saying. And i agree with what you mentioned about last summer...i was in the same boat as you.

id rather keep Aqua. I think i mentioned that in my shite argument  ;)

I would get into this more, now im abit more interested in it again, and you do make some good points....but am at work so will leave it at that. And will remember in the future to post opinions on players when i have a little more time on my hands to think things through! ha
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline scared_person

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »
Simple one this surely?

If we sell him we'll probably get Ł4-5Million. Will we be able to buy a better player for the position for that money? I doubt it, so we might as well keep him.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2012, 12:07:07 pm »
Its Liverpool failure as a whole not his alone ! He was not even here for the last 2 sacking and dint play much in Rafa's sacking so I dont see the logic !

He is no world beater but he is a very good option for the position we are desperate to have options about
It's an observation, nothing more and it's still a quirky stat none the less.

I think he's half decent, not as good as some make out on here mind.

As for all our fault - the vibes the lad has been sending out hasn't really enamored himself to us now has he. 

Offline ThepepeReina

• Space Cadet with a monoflatulent other half
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2012, 12:57:14 pm »
It's an observation, nothing more and it's still a quirky stat none the less.

I think he's half decent, not as good as some make out on here mind.

As for all our fault - the vibes the lad has been sending out hasn't really enamored himself to us now has he.
All footballers are mercenaries anyway. Hardly any actually care about the clubs they play for. Doesnt mean they dont play well for their respective clubs.
Gamertag - GOUGHYlegend
I aint got time to bleed

Offline .Mike

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2012, 12:58:43 pm »
Would like him to stay - at times last season the only creative player we had was Suarez.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2012, 01:36:13 pm »
Personally i don't give a shit about aquilani. He's looked quality in the past but he doesnt give a shit about the club and suddenly no quality italian teams want him and we're supposed to believe he wants to play for us. He'll leave late in the window when an italian club comes in
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2012, 01:37:57 pm »
How many clubs did he have before Liverpool ? and its not as if he went to Dundee United (no offense to them) for his loans

Royhendo will hunt you down!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2012, 01:44:30 pm »
I like him and think he could make a decent contribution.

That said I'd be amazed if he was here this season.

Offline Stout

• Main Stander
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2012, 02:20:26 pm »
I thought he had a solid game vs  Toronto...and seemed to be one of the midfielders looking to push the ball forward.  I think he fits Rodgers' system perfectly; certainly 10x better than Charlie Adam does...

Offline mysterio_86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2012, 02:21:37 pm »
Personally i don't give a shit about aquilani. He's looked quality in the past but he doesnt give a shit about the club and suddenly no quality italian teams want him and we're supposed to believe he wants to play for us. He'll leave late in the window when an italian club comes in

Blame the managers who treated him like shit just about when we was fit and was told "not required" we have Poulsen and later on Adam. There are always two sides to a coin, and if your ignorant enough to look at only side - why blame the coin !

Offline CRAZY HORSE EMLYN

• Lives for twats
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2012, 03:05:16 pm »
Blame the managers who treated him like shit just about when we was fit and was told "not required" we have Poulsen and later on Adam. There are always two sides to a coin, and if your ignorant enough to look at only side - why blame the coin !

Also, I kinda stopped believing in the idea that most players 'wanted to play for the club' a long time ago. Plenty of exceptions to the rule, especially, thankfully, at lfc, but the majority of these guys are mercenaries.

Offline Redshadow

• Legacy Fan
  • Wir schaffen es diesmal mit Herrn Klopp
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2012, 03:15:40 pm »
What did Aquilani do to offend some of RAWK's finest members?  ::)

I truly believe that he'd be here in August and Rodgers would be able to bring the best in him
Whatever an education is, it should make you a unique individual, not a conformist; it should furnish you with an original spirit to tackle big challenges; it should allow you to find values to road map through life; it should make you spiritually rich, a person who loves whatever you are doing, wherever you are.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2012, 03:16:54 pm »
What did Aquilani do to offend some of RAWK's finest members?  ::)

Whinge and moan about not wanting to be here and not wanting to play for us via his agent when we'd spent good money and been patient with his injury? I like him as a player but as a man he's a fanny.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2012, 03:21:03 pm »
Also, I kinda stopped believing in the idea that most players 'wanted to play for the club' a long time ago. Plenty of exceptions to the rule, especially, thankfully, at lfc, but the majority of these guys are mercenaries.

I think we'll get better results if we look for, not players who want to play for the club, but players who want to win things while they're here. Signing for Liverpool shouldn't be the pinnacle of their careers. It should be the first step towards achieving the pinnacle of their careers. It's the difference between Hodgson (where's the dotted line) and Benitez (what resources will I have).
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2012, 03:22:58 pm »
Personally i don't give a shit about aquilani.

Still felt the need to voice your opinion on him in here though.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline "Ninja Skrtel"

• Anny Roader
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2012, 04:01:04 pm »
Based on what?

We're linked to players that can hold possession and are great with spreading the ball.

Cole and Adam don't fit that. Aquilani and Allen do.

based on a CM roster that's this long:

Gerrard
Henderson
Shelvey
Spearing
Adam*
Aquilani*
Allen*

1 or 2 of them would probably have to go considering we also have Suso and Coady on the fringes. I'm not doubting your player assessments.
"Behave yourself".

Offline lorenzo23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2012, 04:01:37 pm »
Whinge and moan about not wanting to be here and not wanting to play for us via his agent when we'd spent good money and been patient with his injury? I like him as a player but as a man he's a fanny.
Like Gerrard wanting to go Chelsea then :wave I respect the fact that instead of sitting on bench and taking wages, AA went out and got him self a club i wonder what he would be labelled if he refused to go and sat on bench or out of squad and took his wages. He was told he wont be featuring and forced a move and what? the club don't want you so do all you can to leave jesus some serious stupid people here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:08:15 pm by lorenzo23 »
Liverpool manager Rafael Benítez admitted after the match that the manner of his side's victory had stunned him and he stated: "My problem is that I don't have words to express the things that I feel at this moment"

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2012, 04:13:31 pm »
have to agree with Sangria on this.

and the worrying thing is, we're still not looking to strengthen the DM role. Spearing has been given a chance to shine in this area, but is he good enough?

Aquilani could be good for us this season, he'll get games in the "Gerrard" role for sure if he stays. Its going to be interesting.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2012, 04:14:29 pm »

He was in training looking forward to starting the 10/11 season when Cecil told Aquilani, Lucas and Insua that they were surplus to requirements and that we had lined up a Club for him. We are the guilty party here not Aquilani it was the stupidity of LFC that brought in Poulson, Koncheskey and Cole and looked to move on Aquilani, Lucas and Insua.

As it goes for me Aquilani has been a brilliant professional it would of been easy for him to come out and slaughter the mis-management of the Club but he didn't. Even when we recalled him from Juventus he came back and worked his nuts off and was excellent pre-season.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:43 pm »
Totally right Al I would like him here for at least this season just to see if he can cut it in the prem  for more than just a handful of games, he moves the ball on well and with that spots a pass quicker than many on our books!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2012, 04:21:12 pm »
have to agree with Sangria on this.

and the worrying thing is, we're still not looking to strengthen the DM role. Spearing has been given a chance to shine in this area, but is he good enough?

Who says we aren't?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2012, 04:24:39 pm »
Who says we aren't?

Who says we are?
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2012, 04:25:47 pm »
Like Gerrard wanting to go Chelsea then :wave

You're seriously comparing the two players/situations.  Jeez.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »
Who says we are?

What does that mean?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:39 pm »
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:35:32 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline U13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2012, 06:30:08 pm »
Not that I feel obligated to answer, but here it goes; if you don't care, don't read it.

First off, that was said after the first half of the game. I have specified after that that his short range passing was excellent, but his long range was 10 yards off (review the game and see his passes to Pacheco). But if you are judging the team  success by Aquilani's pass completion ration, and you don't seem to be alone in that, you are in for a very disappointing season... Many teams would be happy to sit back and watch us to pass the ball around while the time is ticking. It's not an easy task; even Spain looked toothless in the Euros in all games bar the final and they are the gods of the passing game. Aquilani's job (as I understand it) is not to pass the ball around, but to create situations from which we could score. Lucas would 'circulate' the ball around, Aquilani has to create the danger. Unfortunately, he does not offer anything close to what Gerrard does. DonkeWan wrote about Aquilani exploring the channels, I didn't see it that way.

I read your and several other opinions to get an idea of how some players performed as I didn't watch the game but afterwards I saw the compilation vids by MKB. Now unless he missed bits out Aquilani was very tidy in possession and spreading the play well but you said he was sloppy and way off with his passing.  If 97% pass completion is an example of being way off and sloppy I'd be interested to see what you call a neat and tidy performance.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2012, 06:32:29 pm »
Can't see the point in talking about him 'til the transfer window is shuts and we'll know where he is.

He looked dashing on Saturday though. Lovely hair, really set off the kit nicely.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:32 pm »

He looked dashing on Saturday though. Lovely hair, really set off the kit nicely.

:lmao

Would love to have him for the season. I have hope under Rodgers.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2012, 06:55:28 pm »
Not sure if it's just me but the whole situation seems quite simple; he's a quality player but not convinced he ever wanted to play for Liverpool.  Time will tell and this will be in the next month or so

Central midfield wise, we've struggled with the exception of Lucas.  Gerrard seems better in a free role 20 to 30 yards further up the field whilst the likes of Adam haven't looked decent.  New manager and new chances but the next couple of months and Rodgers decisions may dictate our season
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2012, 07:19:58 pm »

Wages mate.