Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4155564 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #69600 on: March 1, 2022, 02:12:04 pm »
I'm going off Duvaa's post mate.  :D

Just reading that Lomachenko and Usyk are amongst a number of Ukrainian sports people who’ve signed up to fight in Ukraine.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69601 on: March 1, 2022, 02:21:17 pm »
I'm going off Duvaa's post mate.  :D
Fight in a war not a boxing match.

This Fury press conference is nauseating. Just all so far up Fury's arse.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69602 on: March 1, 2022, 02:25:58 pm »
 ;D

I'm a dumb shit, I thought he meant "fight in Ukraine" as in put a boxing fight on.  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #69603 on: March 1, 2022, 02:34:28 pm »
;D

I'm a dumb shit, I thought he meant "fight in Ukraine" as in put a boxing fight on.  ;D
Sorry Samie, reading my post back I could have made it clearer
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69604 on: March 1, 2022, 03:31:18 pm »
;D

;D

Fucking hell.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #69605 on: March 1, 2022, 03:49:58 pm »
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #69606 on: March 1, 2022, 03:52:58 pm »
;D

Fucking hell Samie :lmao

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69607 on: March 1, 2022, 04:04:10 pm »
 :D

Hey you can't blame me. On 2 counts:

1- This is the Boxing thread.  Any mention of the word "Fight" leads to one thing.

2- Usyk has previosly mentioned he want's the AJ rematch in Ukraine.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #69608 on: March 1, 2022, 04:07:46 pm »

Hey you can't blame me. On 2 counts:

1- This is the Boxing thread.  Any mention of the word "Fight" leads to one thing.

2- Usyk has previosly mentioned he want's the AJ rematch in Ukraine.

Too late. I’ve given it a wider audience. :D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69609 on: March 1, 2022, 04:25:06 pm »
Hahahaha wow Samie. You are fast becoming mine and my fathers and grandfathers favourite poster.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #69610 on: March 1, 2022, 04:28:03 pm »

Hey you can't blame me. 

yes... yes we can.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69611 on: March 1, 2022, 04:29:58 pm »
;D

You dumb idiot  ;D

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69612 on: March 1, 2022, 04:39:56 pm »
Oh dear, what have I started.

Sorry Samie

If I mention my love of Taylor Swift will that take some of the heat off the poor chap?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69613 on: March 1, 2022, 04:54:16 pm »
It's all good mate.  :wave

In other news someone call Carl Froch. His 80K at Wembley is getting placed to #3 now.  :D

Does Fury v Whyte take up nearly 100K fans though?

Frank Warren has revealed that Wembley Stadium will be set up for a new maximum capacity of "just under 100,000" for Tyson Fury vs Dillian Whyte on April 23rd and so could break the 90,000 British boxing attendance record currently held by Anthony Joshua vs Wladimir Klitschko.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2022, 04:58:28 pm by Samie »

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69614 on: March 1, 2022, 04:57:16 pm »
Oh dear, what have I started.

Sorry Samie

If I mention my love of Taylor Swift will that take some of the heat off the poor chap?

Don’t you dare.

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69615 on: March 1, 2022, 05:07:39 pm »

Online duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69616 on: March 1, 2022, 05:08:17 pm »
It's all good mate.  :wave

In other news someone call Carl Froch. His 80K at Wembley is getting placed to #3 now.  :D

Does Fury v Whyte take up nearly 100K fans though?

That won’t sit well with his ego

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69617 on: March 1, 2022, 06:11:18 pm »
Tyson Fury claiming he’ll retire after the Whyte fight. Got to go down as one of the greats, beat Wilder a few times then talked about cleaning up the division  ::)

No problem with not fighting right now given what is going on in the world but to retire before facing AJ and Usyk and he defo can’t claim to be up there with the greatest.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69618 on: March 1, 2022, 06:41:48 pm »
Not even close to being the greatest heavyweight, let alone greatest fighter. I place Mayweather higher than him. Beat a very limited fighter in Wilder 3 times and a bunch of taxi drivers.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #69619 on: March 1, 2022, 06:51:32 pm »
So no Joshua

Coward

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69620 on: March 1, 2022, 07:19:49 pm »
I say Jack takes it. That performance he put on against Josh first time round tells me he'll do it again.

Josh Taylor has offered Jack Catterall a rematch, but only at Welterweight.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69621 on: March 1, 2022, 07:54:29 pm »
Tyson Fury claiming he’ll retire after the Whyte fight. Got to go down as one of the greats, beat Wilder a few times then talked about cleaning up the division  ::)

No problem with not fighting right now given what is going on in the world but to retire before facing AJ and Usyk and he defo can’t claim to be up there with the greatest.
Been saying for ages he'll be fighting YouTubers before long. Or he'll be in WWE. He was never going to be one of those who respected the belts and the mandatories like the Klitschkos did.

He's going to end up with a CV of Wlad (with chemical assistance), Wilder, and probably Whyte. Not even in the conversation with the greats. Tony Bellew has got a better CV than that ;D

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #69622 on: March 1, 2022, 08:00:46 pm »

Read this earlier, for me this was always the danger if AJ stepped aside from the Usyk rematch. Not that it's a formality Joshua wins that of course.

Interesting to see the WBO's reaction to Josh Taylor moving up to 147. Does him moving up get him at crack at Terrence Crawford like Usyk got with AJ. Surely Jack Catterall will be mandated to fight Ramirez for their title at 140.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69623 on: March 1, 2022, 08:26:18 pm »
Yeah it's a WBO rule. If their champion moves up a weight and is still their champion then he becomes a mandatory for their belt at the higher division. Saw in this case Taylor becomes #1 contender for the WBO Welterweight belt.

Crawford also was suggesting he want's to fight over here.  :D

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #69624 on: March 1, 2022, 08:37:44 pm »

Can you really believe Tyson Fury over anything though? Some would call it showmanship, some say it is his overactive mind, some say it's him being a douche but he is not always entirely truthful.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69625 on: March 1, 2022, 08:46:19 pm »
With Fury he says one thing then a day later he says another.

If he beats Whyte no chance he retires too much money in a Usyk/AJ fight.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69626 on: March 1, 2022, 10:51:16 pm »
I say Jack takes it. That performance he put on against Josh first time round tells me he'll do it again.

It's need to be for all the marbles at 140lbs or it doesn't matter

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
« Reply #69627 on: March 1, 2022, 11:40:33 pm »
Jack Catterall on Instagram:

"Nothing will ever change how I feel about Saturday. I won that fight. I came to the champions country and gave him a lesson. The decision doesn’t sit well with me and i don’t think it ever will. They stole a moment in my life il never get back. I stand with everyone and agree big changes need to be made, the corruption in the sport we all love is so damaging 💔

The support I’ve received since has been overwhelming and for that I thank you all.

Uncrowned King"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CahvVWtgUMe/?utm_source=ig_embed

Meanwhile, Josh Taylor says:

"I won the fight, I know I won the fight."

The BBC report:

"He took a few days to reflect and then congratulated Catterall for his performance, but the 'Tartan Tornado' is still adamant he won the fight. He also says he welcomes a rematch, on the condition it takes place welterweight."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/60549535

So, is Taylor basically saying that all those belts are no longer up for grabs should there be a rematch. Basically, that Catterall will have to meet him in the next weight class, but win or lose....Taylor still gets to keep all his super lightweight "credentials." ??

I'd be sorely tempted to put on the extra 12 pounds and put this to bed once and for all if it was me. On Catterall's 5' 7" frame, he could pack quite a punch with that extra bit of ballast....

At least he'd be able to resolve the issue one way or the other and look back with pride and dignity once he's an old man!!

Imagine Catterall stalking Taylor right into the next weight class...just to get his justice!!

Now there's a story waiting to be written.
YNWA

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69628 on: March 1, 2022, 11:59:56 pm »
No, if/when Taylor moves up those titles at his current weight are up for grabs.  So if Catterall v Taylor II happens its' not for anything other than pride.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69629 on: March 2, 2022, 07:56:58 am »
You'd think that the smart think for Catterall to do would be to pick up one or two of the easy belts at 140 once Taylor vacates, get a couple of wins over some soft targets, and hope Taylor makes a splash at 147 ahead of a rematch.  It could elevate the rematch to a genuine PPV quality fight, at the moment it would be a domestic curiosity (which is a bit mad considering Taylor is an undisputed champion).

The problem is though that I think there's a good chance Taylor gets spanked all over the place at 147 and the rematch becomes even less important.  Taylor would be damaged goods with no belts, not the unbeated undisputed champion that Catterall should have got on his CV.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
« Reply #69630 on: March 2, 2022, 08:55:35 am »
Not even close to being the greatest heavyweight, let alone greatest fighter. I place Mayweather higher than him. Beat a very limited fighter in Wilder 3 times and a bunch of taxi drivers.

Well yes, you're quite right though it is remarkable that ANYONE would even think Tyson fucking Fury is an all-time great heavyweight!

Sometimes I feel as if I live in an alternate universe, because in the one I inhabit, the notion that someone who has THREE world title wins is regarded as a great heavyweight would be deemed laughable. Especially when two of them came against the worst multi-defense HW champion since Primo Carnera.

Fury hasn't even proved he is the best HW in one of the weakest eras of the division  :lmao :lmao :lmao  Greatest heavyweight? You could make an argument that Ernie Terrell achieved more than Fury has at this point! Terrell beat Cleveland Williams, Zora Folley, Bob Foster, Eddie Machen, George Chuvalo, and Doug Jones and was the WBA champion with a total of three world title wins  :D

Also, comparing him to Mayweather is like comparing Billy Joe Saunders to Marvin Hagler. Both world champions, one ever so slightly better than the other  ;D

Lennox Lewis would send him to sleep FFS.

You'd think that the smart think for Catterall to do would be to pick up one or two of the easy belts at 140 once Taylor vacates, get a couple of wins over some soft targets, and hope Taylor makes a splash at 147 ahead of a rematch.  It could elevate the rematch to a genuine PPV quality fight, at the moment it would be a domestic curiosity (which is a bit mad considering Taylor is an undisputed champion).

The problem is though that I think there's a good chance Taylor gets spanked all over the place at 147 and the rematch becomes even less important.  Taylor would be damaged goods with no belts, not the unbeated undisputed champion that Catterall should have got on his CV.
Taylor ain't beating Crawford unless he survives the 12 rounds and gets another bent decision. However, I think Crawford could take it out of the judge's hands.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2022, 08:57:39 am by 1892tillforever »

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69631 on: March 2, 2022, 09:01:18 am »

Was listening to Catterall in his fight disciples interview today. Comes across really well.

If the fight is correctly promoted I think it has Froch Groves II potential. Especially with it being Scotland v England too. Put it at Wembley/Hamden with the right promotion and I think it sells. It has been a huge talking point and I think a lot of people would really want Catterall to win.

If Caterrall does pick up a couple of belts and Taylor loses to Crawford then Catterall could get a decent split too.

Interesting that Catterall is a free agent promoter wise at the moment. He would be a good pick up for someone.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69632 on: March 2, 2022, 09:49:08 am »

But would Taylor give up the belts?

Won’t he be allowed to move up in weight fight for a world title then come back down and have a voluntary defence to keep the belts to try keep the belts?

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69633 on: March 2, 2022, 09:49:44 am »
Was listening to Catterall in his fight disciples interview today. Comes across really well.

If the fight is correctly promoted I think it has Froch Groves II potential. Especially with it being Scotland v England too. Put it at Wembley/Hamden with the right promotion and I think it sells. It has been a huge talking point and I think a lot of people would really want Catterall to win.

If Caterrall does pick up a couple of belts and Taylor loses to Crawford then Catterall could get a decent split too.

Interesting that Catterall is a free agent promoter wise at the moment. He would be a good pick up for someone.
That would be great, honestly the best result for Catterall in all this is a nice juicy payday, he's not going to get a chance at the undisputed title again no matter how much he deserves it.

I don't think it has Froch/Groves potential though.  There's parallels between Froch and Taylor in that Froch was doing good things overseas but never really got recognition here and was not even on TV a lot in the UK, but by the time he got to Groves he was a legit PPV star through the Bute and Kessler fights.  I think this fight for Taylor was supposed to do for him what the Bute fight did for Froch but he ballsed it up.

Catterall doesn't really have George Groves material either.  Groves was a wind up merchant who got under Froch's skin and who you were willing to pay to see him get knocked out.  The first fight was action packed as well and you knew the second fight was going to be entertaining, Catterall doesn't really have that kind of style to capture the imagination.

I don't know if there's an option to do a catchweight and still have the belts on the line, that might be the best option.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69634 on: March 2, 2022, 09:58:05 am »
But would Taylor give up the belts?

Won’t he be allowed to move up in weight fight for a world title then come back down and have a voluntary defence to keep the belts to try keep the belts?
Not 100% sure of the rules, but he's finished at 140 in any case.  I don't know what the rules are regarding catchweights etc.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69635 on: March 2, 2022, 10:08:04 am »
Just read that Wasserman will have 5 free to air shows on Channel 5. Their stable includes Eubank Jr, Josh Kelly & Nathan Gorman.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69636 on: March 2, 2022, 12:24:03 pm »
Just read that Wasserman will have 5 free to air shows on Channel 5. Their stable includes Eubank Jr, Josh Kelly & Nathan Gorman.
Would be great for a prospect to sign there. If I was an Olympian, being a major signing on free to air is the best place to be for your first 10 or so fights.

Online Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69637 on: March 2, 2022, 12:30:32 pm »
So thoughts on Canelo fighting Bivol?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69638 on: March 2, 2022, 01:33:36 pm »
So thoughts on Canelo fighting Bivol?

There's a reason why he chose Bivol now. He's not going anywhere near Beterbiev for now.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69639 on: March 2, 2022, 01:43:14 pm »
Bivol's on the slide, similar to when Canelo faced Kovalev. So expect Canelo to win.