Author Topic: Nintendo Switch (was NX)  (Read 110453 times)

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #120 on: January 13, 2017, 01:15:39 pm »
Yeah I'll pass...

Offline Stand Free

• Anny Roader
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2017, 01:44:28 pm »
Definitely be waiting for the price to drop and more games to be released before I even consider it

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 13, 2017, 01:57:53 pm »
Looks good to me, will probably pick one up later in the year

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: January 13, 2017, 02:02:35 pm »
It's about £80 more than I would be willing to pay, think they've dropped a bollock here.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #124 on: January 13, 2017, 02:15:54 pm »
It's about £80 more than I would be willing to pay, think they've dropped a bollock here.

It's Brexit. On a USD-GBP conversion, the US price of $299 was about £210 before Brexit, about £250 after. Without Brexit it would have been £240 or £250.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2017, 02:31:06 pm »
It's Brexit. On a USD-GBP conversion, the US price of $299 was about £210 before Brexit, about £250 after. Without Brexit it would have been £240 or £250.

Yep I'm sure that had an impact, their sales in the UK will still suffer regardless of the reasoning though. I already have a PS4 so couldn't have justified it even at £250, £200 was pretty much the maximum I'd have paid.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2017, 02:58:25 pm »
Definitely be waiting for the price to drop and more games to be released before I even consider it

The price never really drops much does it? The Wii U is still pretty pricey, I was thinking of getting one for the back catalogue but a new one is over £200.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »
Not entirely sure what people were expecting.

It was never going to be £199 or less at launch; the rumours were £250 and it turns out that it's £30 more expensive. If that puts you off, then you probably weren't going to be a day 1 adopter anyway. A middle of the road Android Tablet tends to come in around £150 and in the Switch we're getting the Tablet element, the dock (which apparently contains a good deal of additional tech and isn't just a lump of plastic with a PSU), the Joycon grips and the Joycons themselves. A huge bulk of the cost of the device is in the Joycons which are clearly far more complex than they look superficially - the RRP of those alone is £80.

There were undoubtedly uninspiring elements to the presentation, but it's important to remember that this was a presentation primarily for a Japanese audience. There are going to be some more localised Treehouse sessions today and over the next few days.

The games we're getting within 6 weeks of launch (so far announced) are:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Zelda: BOTW
Arms
Bomberman R
1, 2 Switch

Something for everyone there and doubtless there'll be more released announced bearing in mind the release date is 2 months away.

If we ally that with a strong VC library update and a couple of other surprises, it'll be a positive launch for me.

I travel a lot, so a non-invasive battery solution would be nice, but realistically - apart from on a plane - where are people where they're no where near a socket for more than 4/5 hours?

I've pre-ordered :)

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 13, 2017, 03:01:55 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qadzCB3CLlI

Nintendo live stream on now - currently showcasing Arms

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #129 on: January 13, 2017, 03:05:39 pm »
I'd be very interested to see how they align their online shop catalogue. Bought a lot of back catalogue games for the Wii U. Be nice if they transfer over

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 13, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »
I'd be very interested to see how they align their online shop catalogue. Bought a lot of back catalogue games for the Wii U. Be nice if they transfer over

Suspect that will be tied to the online subscription. That sub also includes either a SNES or NES VC download per month, apparently.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2017, 03:09:03 pm »
Other than the price of it, which came in at a fair chunk higher than expected (but then again, when you look at what it actually is, not so surprising), it looks amazing. Amazing-looking, and more importantly, original and FUN looking games, and the most creatively versatile console that's ever existed. They've taken every Nintendo concept and rolled them into one package. Had this released side-by-side with the other two systems on the market a couple years back, given the choice, I'd have bought it over them instantly. I'll probably wait a bit, though, until the catalogue builds; but it releasing with BoTW, which looks potentially the best game Nintendo have ever created, is a tough one to resist.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2017, 03:50:16 pm »
A hybrid of functionality between Wii U and 3DS so no surprises with the pricing though i do agree that it is on the high side. But the ability to bring your "console" game whilst travelling is a god-send.

I've pre-ordered one though not sure to get the all grey version or red/blue version.
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2017, 03:51:34 pm »
Shout out to the game boxes, by the way. Full frame artwork with a slight nod to the old Japanese Gamecube boxes.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2017, 03:52:38 pm »
I don't see a problem with the launch price really, the only issue with it is that as it's Nintendo the price probably won't drop significantly for years. It definitely looks like it's got a lot of interesting functionality too, hopefully it's easy to develop for too as I could see a lot of interesting games being made for it if it really takes off.

I was tempted to pre-order but with the tiny launch line-up I'm now thinking I might get a second hand Wii U instead, as it's backwards compatible with the Wii and has a ton of stuff in the eShop (most/all of the Zelda games for example). I'm sure the Switch will get most of those games eventually too but how long it'll take for a decent number of them to become available is anyone's guess.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2017, 05:15:49 pm »
I think I'll wait to see some reviews before considering it, performance is still a big question mark. I don't think I'll ever pre order anything again after No Man's Sky.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2017, 06:22:05 pm »
I think I'll wait to see some reviews before considering it, performance is still a big question mark. I don't think I'll ever pre order anything again after No Man's Sky.

I was interested in this one but the game lineup is so... samey? I'll wait until we know if there's enough games worth a purchase before deciding.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2017, 01:50:33 pm »
Line up is thinner than the Wii U's was. Then they have the cheek to charge £60 for Mario Kart which is a remaster.

Then they want £75 for an extra JoyCon controller and £65 for a bloody Pro Controller?!

It's nothing to do with Brexit either, the US price for the Switch Pro Controller is $70... while the Wii U Pro Controller was $50.

Get to absolute fuck.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 01:54:54 pm by Kashinoda »
:D

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2017, 02:34:10 pm »
Get to absolute fuck.

Yup, and doubtless they'll be scratching their heads wondering why it ended up as a sales flop.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2017, 02:35:10 pm »
Line up is thinner than the Wii U's was. Then they have the cheek to charge £60 for Mario Kart which is a remaster.

Then they want £75 for an extra JoyCon controller and £65 for a bloody Pro Controller?!

It's nothing to do with Brexit either, the US price for the Switch Pro Controller is $70... while the Wii U Pro Controller was $50.

Get to absolute fuck.

Yeah. They're making some of the same mistakes they did with the N64, especially in EU. Going back to fucking over European markets. I think going back to carts has something to do with that.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2017, 04:18:24 pm »
Yeah. They're making some of the same mistakes they did with the N64, especially in EU. Going back to fucking over European markets. I think going back to carts has something to do with that.

They won't be region locked at least
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2017, 05:22:46 pm »

I'm still cautiously optimistic that on launch, the peripherals and games will come in about 15-20% lower than their pre-order listings.

Nintendo have to be very careful in the next six weeks. People like me, they don't need to worry about - I'm all in, whatever happens - but those on the cusp need to be persuaded not dissuaded. There is so much about the Switch which has potential, but if these third party devs don't see sales, they're not going to invest in development.

In my opinion, they need to get on - pronto - with making a kind of Tesco Value Joycon and Pro Controller. People are going to lose, break and spoil the Joycons and at 70 quid a pair, people are going to be reticent to replace them. I want to be able to buy a second pair for say £30 that are simply additional mini controllers so I can play Mario Kart with the family. They don't need the IR or motion detection - just BT and the same buttons.

They're going to have to work out a way of making the games cheaper too. I appreciate that they're never going to be crazy cheap because of the solid state storage inside each one, but they have to find a way.

Finally, they need to work with the retailers to find a bundle which works for everyone. Something like a Switch, a Pro Controller and Zelda for, say £319.99. This probably would have been a better sell on reveal day than simply saying it was £279 solus.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2017, 06:29:27 pm »
Yup, and doubtless they'll be scratching their heads wondering why it ended up as a sales flop.

The weird thing about Nintendo is their cash reserve is stupidly high, they can afford to cut the prices and go for market penetration. Not everything has to be PS3 levels of loss, but taking a hit isn't a bad plan.

Switch may have been the most I've ever been excited about a Nintendo console, now it's back to 'see how it is in a year'... which is what so many will do and ultimately maybe why it fails.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2017, 11:04:35 pm »
instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you’ll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that’s a pretty sweet solution. That’s part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

This is from Reggie.

This is fucking hilariously bad. Are they actually that out of touch with how online works with consoles
They want you to pay for voice chat using their app on your phone.

Or you could just use discord, skype, whatsapp etc etc etc for free.

This is beyond dumb from Nintendo.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2017, 11:43:38 pm »
Don't understand the frustration with paying for online, it happens on both the PS4 and XO so I was honestly expecting Nintendo to follow suit.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2017, 12:07:26 am »
here's the thing though, Nintendo online has always been absolutely atrocious, they really don't have a clue how to do it
i'm amazed they can even get online multiplayer working

all of their shitness is hidden behind "oh we're protecting the kids"
here's an idea, put parental controls on your console
STFU and agree with me.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2017, 08:16:56 am »
Gutted that Nintendo seem to be fucking this up. Come on you whoppers, I can see it being another case a console with only first party games worth playing and all at hideous expense.

The virtual console had better have upgrade pricing, it's already taking the piss that I'd have to pay 60 quid for a Mario Kart game I essentially already own, I don't want to have to pay full price for SMW, ALTTP etc. again. Otherwise I'm fucking this off for at least two years.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2017, 02:38:04 pm »

Get to absolute fuck.

I thought this as well but then I saw the tech which is in those joycon's and see why they are expensive.  One thing they could do is at least throw in a charging grip. There is a markup no doubt but those things are not cheap to produce.

Even the extra dock price is really expensive but when I search online for a USB-C docks that have power and HDMI for laptops its similar price and more.

The games will come down.  I remember PS4 games before release had £55 rrp and by release they were £40-45

I was a bit disappointed by the presentation last week but I have pre-ordered as I need a new handheld.  I love my 3DS but want something new and this is a powerful handheld.

Sleeper game - Arms.  I thought that was a joke but reading people's impressions from the weekend who managed to play it, I am excited about that.

The weird thing about Nintendo is their cash reserve is stupidly high, they can afford to cut the prices and go for market penetration. Not everything has to be PS3 levels of loss, but taking a hit isn't a bad plan.

They do have reserves but Nintendo I don't think have ever sold hardware at a loss and I don't think they ever will.  That reserve is what gets them through the rough times as well as fund R&D.

They don't have the luxury of revenue from other parts of the business which can take the hit like Sony and MS has.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:43:34 pm by puroresu_kid »

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2017, 03:09:31 pm »
The pre-order prices for games are already dropping, which I think we thought we'd see. Good news for the consumer.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2017, 07:52:22 pm »
I thought this as well but then I saw the tech which is in those joycon's and see why they are expensive.  One thing they could do is at least throw in a charging grip. There is a markup no doubt but those things are not cheap to produce.

Even the extra dock price is really expensive but when I search online for a USB-C docks that have power and HDMI for laptops its similar price and more.

It's not an extra dock is it though, the Switch doesn't come with a JoyCon dock that will actually charge the dam thing... and wants almost £30 extra for that.

Nintendo want you to buy something extra just to charge your controller - unless you want to plug them back in and use it as a portable device. I can't really get my head around it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-16-nintendo-switchs-basic-joy-con-grip-doesnt-charge-controllers

It's on par with Sony's 'get a second job' PS3 line.

And £65 for their updated Pro Controller is atrocious, nothing high tech about it to justify the cost at all.

Just seen their online subscription only includes 1 NES or SNES game a month... which you can only play during the month.  :o  :o

Crazyily out of touch.

Not sure why I'm so angry  ;D

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2017, 09:49:51 am »
It's not an extra dock is it though, the Switch doesn't come with a JoyCon dock that will actually charge the dam thing... and wants almost £30 extra for that.

Nintendo want you to buy something extra just to charge your controller - unless you want to plug them back in and use it as a portable device. I can't really get my head around it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-16-nintendo-switchs-basic-joy-con-grip-doesnt-charge-controllers

It's on par with Sony's 'get a second job' PS3 line.

And £65 for their updated Pro Controller is atrocious, nothing high tech about it to justify the cost at all.

Just seen their online subscription only includes 1 NES or SNES game a month... which you can only play during the month.  :o  :o

Crazyily out of touch.

Not sure why I'm so angry  ;D

It is an extra dock. You get a dock in the box to output to TV but some may want others to put in different rooms. 

As for the pro controller I find £60 expensive but to say it has no to tech is false. For comparisons The DS4 and XB1 controller both launched at £55 and I'll just compare the products.

The DS4 has clickable touch pad, basic motion control and a speaker.

The XB1 pad has trigger rumble.

The switch pro controller has advanced motion control, and NFC reader and HD rumble.  Is the price of £60 any more outrageous than the £55 which the DS4 and XB1 pads launched at considering the tech inside all three?

Offline snez1

• Kopite
  • We all dream of a team of Carraghers
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2017, 12:25:20 pm »
I was absolutely certain I'd be pre-ordering this after seeing their initial trailer for it a couple of months ago. Then Nintendo Nintendo'd it up again.

£40 for 1-2 Switch? A throwaway 2 player Wii game that should have been a (underwhelming) pack in?
£70-£80 for controllers?
Paying for an online service which offers 1 NES/SNES game ON LOAN for 4 weeks? PSN isn't great value but it's 10000 times better than this pisstake.
Voice chat through mobile phones?
£50 for Mario Kart 8? A game I bought for £50 over two years ago?
That pitiful launch line up. 5 games.
But don't worry, Skyrim, a game that is 6 years old, is on the way. Sure, it won't be the recently remastered version that came out on the PS4 and of course it will cost twice as much as that version does, but hey, it'll be here eventually!
Splatoon 2 will be neat but is it going to be different enough to the first one to make it worth buying? Will it be held back back Nintendo's God-awful online like the last one was? Probably.
Aside from that we're waiting on Mario which - if we're extremely lucky - will be out at Xmas.

Hopefully there will have been a massive price drop by then as I imagine this is going to flop hard after the initial rush of purchases from people who just can't help themselves.

It just boggles the mind how out of touch they still are after the Wii U debacle. I had massively high hopes for this and was looking for any excuse to buy it. I figured they would at least learn from some of their mistakes and address a few of the Wii U's multitude of shortcomings.  They could have implemented native voice chat, shown off a robust launch line up, added achievements, better 3rd party support, a low price point, heavily discounted Wii U ports, a fully fleshed out Virtual Console etc, etc. Even a couple of those things would have been nice.

Instead they spent the first half of their reveal show focussed on two motion control gimmick games. The majority of people don't want this stuff anymore, it isn't 2006 and this isn't the Wii. I mean, they have a sleek looking system that can alternate between being a home console and a handheld instantly and instead of highlighting the uniqueness of that they decide to focus on upgraded Wiimotes and motion gaming.

It's disheartening more than anything. I love Nintendo and their games. The system itself looks like a really smart bit of kit and Zelda looks INCREDIBLE. I'd love to play it on Switch as it will undoubtedly run better which means I'm left with 2 options:

1) I can play it on the Wii U for £40 or
2) I can spend £410 to play it on a Switch with a pro controller.

If there had been even a couple of other interesting or AAA games that weren't Wii U ports available at/around launch to back BotW up then maybe I'd have considered splashing out, but with what's on offer right now I know I'd just be pissing money up the wall.

I have even considered getting rid of my Wii U and games as that would offset the cost of about 60% of the Switch & Zelda. But I know that after I'm done with Zelda the Switch will most likely just be collecting dust for the rest of the year.

What a fuck up. What a shame.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2017, 02:56:45 pm »
If they fuck this up I can see Nintendo being a publisher within 10 years.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2017, 03:28:18 pm »
I can understand the pitch with all the motion control stuff, in context to what the console actually is, but they sold it poorly. Showing a couple of dickheads milk a cow and playing showdown at high noon? What the absolute fuck was that? The initial trailer sold you on the idea of a portable console where mini controllers with motion sensors made sense. They showed it being put to use in all different kinds of scenarios, like at parties, back seats of cars, etc. The manner of the presentation made them look desperate to recapture some of the stuff that sold the Wii, when instead a technical demo with someone just standing there and explaining what the functionality of the controllers actually were with a slideshow would have been sufficient. No cheesy, cringeworthy nonsense required.

Regardless, all of that could have been laughed off but for the fact they rolled out their pricing policies on their hardware and peripherals. They might even have gotten away with all of that too if not for the lack of launch titles and their ridiculous subscription based online. Unless that actually costs about a 10'r, which it won't, then they can fuck off with that. OK, the price of the system came in a bit over what was expected. That's OK. For what it actually is, that's fine, but to slap 60 quid prices back on games, charge for shite like 1,2 Switch, and ask extortionate prices for peripherals, even if they are technically state of the art and expensive to make, well...not very consumer friendly, is it? Reminds me of the N64 and the Wii U for different reasons.

Having said all of this, they can still pull this thing out of a hole - if it's even in one, that is, going off of pre-orders. Drop the games down to acceptable pricing, open up the virtual console for their online model, bundle a game with it free of cost, and drop 20% off the costs of controllers.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:32:18 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2017, 04:44:50 pm »
If they fuck this up I can see Nintendo being a publisher within 10 years.

Been rooting for this for as long as I can remember. Imagine having a proper console and still having access to those incredible Nintendo games...Mmmmm.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Nintendo Switch (was NX)
« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2017, 04:47:52 pm »
Been rooting for this for as long as I can remember. Imagine having a proper console and still having access to those incredible Nintendo games...Mmmmm.
Would say it'd be bad for competition but Nintendo are so arrogant already I doubt it would change much for the consumers.

PC gaming is more popular than ever, which is keeping Xbox and PlayStation competitive. With the exception of charging for online multiplayer of course.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2017, 07:04:40 pm »
Would say it'd be bad for competition but Nintendo are so arrogant already I doubt it would change much for the consumers.

PC gaming is more popular than ever, which is keeping Xbox and PlayStation competitive. With the exception of charging for online multiplayer of course.

I refuse to pay for online gaming on the PS4, and was glad I could partake in Mario Kart 8 online on the Wii U for free. Now, it's simply not worth me upgrading. A silly situation entirely of Nintendo's own making.

1) I can play it on the Wii U for £40 or
2) I can spend £410 to play it on a Switch with a pro controller.

This is it in a nutshell. I can already play Mario Kart 8, and I can buy Zelda on WiiU. What incentive is there? A Mario game that so far is no more advanced than a tech demo? Splatoon 2, I've still not tired of the last one as I've only played it sporadically, a few Wiiware games and Skyrim which I had binged on in 2011 and would happily never play again? Fucks sake!

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2017, 07:13:15 pm »

Haha I'd rather have one console with all the best games than all the best games split across three. That's why I made the switch to PC too.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2017, 07:30:21 pm »
Reggie was asked about the launch line-up today/yesterday and he gave an interesting response.

The gist was that the Wii U launch was a total mess and they launched it with too many undercooked games but a lot of them and didn't leave anything left for the upcoming months after launch.

It seems to be a deliberate tactic this time around and they're happy to play the long game. He gave a cryptic statement about how early adopters would be rewarded so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of that.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2017, 08:02:06 pm »
Instead they spent the first half of their reveal show focussed on two motion control gimmick games. The majority of people don't want this stuff anymore, it isn't 2006 and this isn't the Wii. I mean, they have a sleek looking system that can alternate between being a home console and a handheld instantly and instead of highlighting the uniqueness of that they decide to focus on upgraded Wiimotes and motion gaming.
Although I totally understand where you're coming from here, and don't disagree as such, motion control stuff becoming more sophisticated will be a major boon for VR going forward. And if there's something I expect the modern Nintendo to be more inclined to pump shitloads of R&D cash into than their 'rivals', it's deepening their Wii-triumph niche.

If the 'HD rumble' in those pads lives up to the hype (i.e. uniquely delicate haptic feedback), that will prove immensely promising for VR peripherals. And if that's the case, hopefully Nintendo aren't greedy-guts with their end of the patents (I believe it's a joint venture), so it'll quickly find its way onto other platforms that're much further down the line with VR. I suppose even the motion IR camera in the pad could be very useful in that sort of virtual-environment context, although it might at first seem trivial.

On the subject of the other joypads, I love the speaker in the DualShock 4; it really adds something in an atmospheric sense that you didn't even know you needed. The headphone socket in it is a major plus too, and of course the lightbar is both a lovely & pretty cosmetic quirk, and an essential feature for PSVR. I don't use the touchpad much at all, but that's more the fault of unimaginative devs than anything. All the tech (including the classic, iconic PlayStation shape and rumble) give it the perfect ergonomic comfort and weight for this veteran PSer's hands... especially the weight, which is really satisfying, and makes it feel less flimsy and toyish than its predecessors (even if it apparently isn't for many - none of mine have ever broken, though). Probably my favourite ever controller, all things considered.

I haven't bought the Move controllers precisely because the DS4 (where compatible as a replacement) does fine enough, and I'm waiting for then to bring out something better anyway. 'HD Rumble', in a versatile controller that can mimic the sensation of alternately holding a firearm/paddle/multitool doodah - and which actually tracks well - sounds just the ticket, so I hope that part at least does not prove to be a failure, aborted before given chance to fulfill its potential this gen.

Oh yeah, and DOWN WITH NINTENDO! and all that  ;D
"under-promise and over-deliver"