Author Topic: The Klopp Template  (Read 1075688 times)

Online Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
Re: The Klopp Template
« Reply #6560 on: October 4, 2022, 12:28:56 pm »
VVD and Matip had to re-prove themselves after injury so dont think you can call them PL proven. And Gomez was our primary RB back-up so can't be considered in our CB roster.

So essentially we just had Nat Phillips. They didn't learn a thing

Don’t pick on me, save your Al Lobos for Al, thanks!

Also too few paragraphs. Unlike you really. Account hacked?
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6561 on: October 4, 2022, 12:31:01 pm »
Don’t pick on me, save your Al Lobos for Al, thanks!

Also too few paragraphs. Unlike you really. Account hacked?

Totally. By someone wearing blue.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6562 on: October 4, 2022, 12:32:24 pm »
Totally. By someone wearing blue.

Fucking Rangers hackers  :no
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #6563 on: October 4, 2022, 01:19:40 pm »
mental scars? disappointment yes but unless they are philosophical about such things - the vast majority of players (yes i am generalising but having played myself at lower level myself (granted) i have experience of playing with many) aren't as deep about such things

physical scars - that's football you get kicked you get scars they're only flesh deep

Sorry but this is nonsense really. When you were playing ‘lower level’ did your club employ performance psychologists like the major clubs tend to these days? A team’s mental condition plays a key part in football, that’s undeniable.

You’re not telling me that these players that have battled season after season to break points totals, might be affected by falling at the final hurdle in the CL again or being pipped to titles by an oil-enduced rival? Like the fans they’ll also be fully aware that a slow start to a season against the likes of City can be enough to lose you the league before it’s even begun. Will the players have the same motivation battling for Top 4 this year as opposed to the title?

Then add in all the other squad issues we’re contending with and I think it contextualises our struggles if not excuses them.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #6564 on: October 4, 2022, 02:27:11 pm »
I've never played lower level football, but I've played monopoly and if I see my dad buying Mayfair and then landing on an available Park Lane on the next go around I do have to say it gives me mental scars.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6565 on: October 4, 2022, 02:34:51 pm »
sorry to bring up the 'manchester' word here but when the utd kids were successful they didn't seem to have a chronic dip in form - obviously i haven't totally researched that not being a utd fan an all tha but they seemed to be winning trophies season after season

same with this current city lot - they don't seem to suffer from that same dip in form or got tired for playing 'too much football'
City started the 20/21 season poorly and had 12 points from 8 games which prompted articles like the ones below.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/what-is-going-wrong-at-manchester-city-for-pep-guardiola-z88jrldt9
https://www.sportingferret.com/2020/11/26/manchester-city-what-has-gone-wrong/

Some interesting quotes from both articles. Sound familiar?

City manager, Pep Guardiola was given a two year contract extension until Summer 2023. But after the weekends defeat, many are pondering whether he is the right man for the job.

But it seems that their main problem defensively, is the lack of cover in the midfield area.

A hallmark of Manchester City’s title-winning teams under Pep Guardiola has been their ability to regain possession quickly. There was a marked lack of intensity against Tottenham Hotspur, however. Take the build-up to the second Spurs goal during which Harry Kane was given the space to turn and thread a ball through to Giovani Lo Celso to score.

City’s lack of intensity has been notable this season.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #6566 on: October 4, 2022, 02:42:42 pm »
Sorry but this is nonsense really. When you were playing ‘lower level’ did your club employ performance psychologists like the major clubs tend to these days? A team’s mental condition plays a key part in football, that’s undeniable.

You’re not telling me that these players that have battled season after season to break points totals, might be affected by falling at the final hurdle in the CL again or being pipped to titles by an oil-enduced rival? Like the fans they’ll also be fully aware that a slow start to a season against the likes of City can be enough to lose you the league before it’s even begun. Will the players have the same motivation battling for Top 4 this year as opposed to the title?

Then add in all the other squad issues we’re contending with and I think it contextualises our struggles if not excuses them.

when i say lower level i played at an amateur level and i've already admitted that that is just my personal opinion based on my own experience of playing with loads of different players

i never said lower league

i never made it any further in my career due to a double leg fracture (yeh sad innit)

sorry if anyone thought i was a semi-professional but yous lot made that assumption not me - but it was fun watching some of you twitch

and you lot may go home and kick the cat and be down until the next game but that doesn't mean the team will feel the same as you - pissed off they might be but that will fade in 24 hours

i'll whisper this - you are a fan (fanatic) so your emotions will be 10x of those of 'most' of the players

do you think most professional footballers are at home depressed and crying into their hankies or (think about this will yer) playing on play stations, driving nice cars , going to clubs, restaurants and playing golf etc etc fucking etc

yes it might affect them after losing a trophy but not to the extent some of you lot think

if we win you never say 'it's because they're depressed about the CL' but if we lose then you say it's because the players must be suffering? surely if you're depressed then that is not a thing that you can turn off and on per game so that argument doesn't stand merit

there may be some players who benefit from 'performance psychologists' (i said most not all players) but because we employ performance psychologists that doesn't mean that that works - like with all psychology it affects different people differently (even though most old skool managers would've laughed at pp's) trent why did we concede those 2 goals? because i was thinking about last year's losing finals - fuck off will yer trent you're dropped

and what about if we go on a winning run? does this 'depression' just go away? or are the players still feeling down? because according to you they either were or they weren't depressed? if we batter rangers tonight then are the players still suffering about last season or not? if we are still suffering (according to you) then that doesn't seem to have affected the result does it? so you're talking nonsense

to reiterate

do we say when we do the treble this season - yes, the players suffered all season long but ended up with these trophies?

or do we say if we win fuck all - yes, the players suffered all season long and that's why we ended up with no trophies?

that just doesn't make sense

poor form (which encapsulates confidence i'll accept but confidence isn't usually linked to a losing final but more due to current lack in form), spending, the lack of new players etc etc - that's where the problems lie and not with the whole team suffering from fucking depression though granted 1 or 2 might need the help of a pp

i find the argument that the players are all suffering from a mental hangover from last season and that's why we find ourselves where we are a weak one

i will agree though that klopp would suffer as the weight of the world is on his shoulders and not the players - as is with all managers
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6567 on: October 4, 2022, 02:43:09 pm »
City started the 20/21 season poorly and had 12 points from 8 games which prompted articles like the ones below.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/what-is-going-wrong-at-manchester-city-for-pep-guardiola-z88jrldt9
https://www.sportingferret.com/2020/11/26/manchester-city-what-has-gone-wrong/

Some interesting quotes from both articles. Sound familiar?
Like I said yesterday, the system is broken. It doesn't help that individuals are making more mistakes but you can argue that the mistakes are a result of having to deal with more defensive actions too.

Klopp's system utilizes risk vs reward, and at this moment, the reward is definitely not worth the risk and I honestly don't see any benefit from whatever we're doing on the right side.

A couple of seasons ago, City started in a similar manner like us (granted the competition now is more fierce) with 11 points after 7 games, 1 more than Liverpool's current haul. Pep stopped trying to do anything creative, just went to basics. He forgone trying to utilize the wings, packed the middle and made sure that the team is more compact, they pressed less than other seasons and dropped deeper so that they won't tire in a compact schedule. Right now, Klopp needs to be pragmatic and do something similar, stop trying to reinvent the wheel. The squad needed reinforcement especially in midfield, but that's the hand that he has been dealt with and you got to adapt. Even the individual mistakes, are compounded by the fact that we have to deal with more defensive actions than past seasons. But if we play with the same naivety, trusting the same broken system, and expect the same results, then that's madness.

https://youtu.be/pisSV1OqPMA
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #6569 on: October 4, 2022, 02:53:03 pm »

Yep - its a proven factor in sport and has been for years. Every top level sport from snooker and athletics, to basketball and football employ psychologists to give individuals and teams the edge (and to manage their emotions when they can't).

The other big factor is that the PL disappointments of 2018/19 and 2021/22 were not simply about being the 2nd best team - it was knowing that they'd missed out on the league by a single point against the biggest cheats in sporting history. That's gotta hurt a hell of a lot more (and take longer to process) than simply being able to say - oh well, we took them all the way but just lost to the better team in the end. If the injustice makes us angry, I can't imagine what its like for them (or Jurgen and everyone else that works for the club).

Slightly off topic, but there's a brilliant interview on YouTube with Ronnie O'Sullivan, who (despite his well documented family issues being a factor), talks candidly about how competing at the highest level took its toll mentally and physically, and the effects on him of handling pressure year after year. Interesting that he also used Steve Peters - the same guy we used years ago who has worked in elite sports to help people manage emotions (and their inner chimp). We certainly raised our levels in 2013/14 when he worked with us, and I recall that in addition to talking to the whole team, players were able to book individual appointments to deal with things that perhaps the manager/back room staff weren't qualified to analyse. Maybe we need something like that now (or are already doing it)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFlUrcX4RkM

I think because they're millionaires who've had every need catered for since they signed a professional contract, people assume they are different to the rest of us. But there are numerous examples throughout sporting history of talented individuals struggling, teams going to pieces, form falling off a cliff, or being defeated from seemingly unassailable positions in a game or season.

Fortunately, we have arguably the best coach in football to nurture the team through this transition - Jurgen has broad enough shoulders and a big enough heart to deal with this, and I don't think it will be long before we see players like Virgil, Robbo, Hendo and Mo go up a gear, which will hopefully have a virtuous effect on others.

We can get better just as quickly as we've got worse.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6570 on: October 4, 2022, 03:04:42 pm »
Yep - its a proven factor in sport and has been for years. Every top level sport from snooker and athletics, to basketball and football employ psychologists to give individuals and teams the edge (and to manage their emotions when they can't).

The other big factor is that the PL disappointments of 2018/19 and 2021/22 were not simply about being the 2nd best team - it was knowing that they'd missed out on the league by a single point against the biggest cheats in sporting history. That's gotta hurt a hell of a lot more (and take longer to process) than simply being able to say - oh well, we took them all the way but just lost to the better team in the end. If the injustice makes us angry, I can't imagine what its like for them (or Jurgen and everyone else that works for the club).

Slightly off topic, but there's a brilliant interview on YouTube with Ronnie O'Sullivan, who (despite his well documented family issues being a factor), talks candidly about how competing at the highest level took its toll mentally and physically, and the effects on him of handling pressure year after year. Interesting that he also used Steve Peters - the same guy we used years ago who has worked in elite sports to help people manage emotions (and their inner chimp). We certainly raised our levels in 2013/14 when he worked with us, and I recall that in addition to talking to the whole team, players were able to book individual appointments to deal with things that perhaps the manager/back room staff weren't qualified to analyse. Maybe we need something like that now (or are already doing it)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFlUrcX4RkM

I think because they're millionaires who've had every need catered for since they signed a professional contract, people assume they are different to the rest of us. But there are numerous examples throughout sporting history of talented individuals struggling, teams going to pieces, form falling off a cliff, or being defeated from seemingly unassailable positions in a game or season.

Fortunately, we have arguably the best coach in football to nurture the team through this transition - Jurgen has broad enough shoulders and a big enough heart to deal with this, and I don't think it will be long before we see players like Virgil, Robbo, Hendo and Mo go up a gear, which will hopefully have a virtuous effect on others.

We can get better just as quickly as we've got worse.

so your argument is a video about a spoilt snooker player - and the rest of what you say is your viewpoint

you're gonna need a bigger boat

yes, it was klopp who came up with the mentality monsters but mentality is a part of the bigger picture and should not be relied on solely for our failures is my point which a lot of you don't seem to be able to grasp
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6571 on: October 4, 2022, 03:19:10 pm »
so your argument is a video about a spoilt snooker player - and the rest of what you say is your viewpoint

you're gonna need a bigger boat

yes, it was klopp who came up with the mentality monsters but mentality is a part of the bigger picture and should not be relied on solely for our failures is my point which a lot of you don't seem to be able to grasp
I said it was a factor (which means a part of something).

No-one is saying its the only thing that's affected us.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #6572 on: October 4, 2022, 03:22:54 pm »
Has anyone said it's the sole reason for our failures?

Is this just your viewpoint?
and you lot may go home and kick the cat and be down until the next game but that doesn't mean the team will feel the same as you - pissed off they might be but that will fade in 24 hours

"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6573 on: October 4, 2022, 03:28:11 pm »
Has anyone said it's the sole reason for our failures?
Is this just your viewpoint?

who made you the thread moderator?

no, i was reiterating that that was my viewpoint

i think you lot have given me mental problems

i've said what i've said and now we seem to be going around in circles and i'm bored

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6574 on: October 4, 2022, 03:37:18 pm »
I've never played lower level football, but I've played monopoly and if I see my dad buying Mayfair and then landing on an available Park Lane on the next go around I do have to say it gives me mental scars.
I still get PTSD from a game of Kerplunk when one stick made all the marbles drop. Dark days.

Offline SenorGarcia

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria...
« Reply #6575 on: October 4, 2022, 04:12:36 pm »
who made you the thread moderator?

no, i was reiterating that that was my viewpoint

i think you lot have given me mental problems

i've said what i've said and now we seem to be going around in circles and i'm bored

Honestly mate all your posts on this page just come across as “Old Man Yells At Cloud”. Completely out of touch.

No one is saying that the mental aspect is the key factor in our performances this season, just that it undoubtedly DOES have a role to play. Heck Klopp’s even referred to us as Mentality Monsters before so he clearly gives it some credence.

I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt saying “lower league” - I’d wager 75% of this board has played football at amateur level. To compare your mentality at that level to that at the very top of the game is laughable, and completely irrelevant.
"A football club isn't just made up of players, coaches and directors. More than anything else it's the supporters who make a club, and that perhaps is the ingredient which best distinguishes Liverpool Football Club from every other team. The supporters." - Luis Javier García Sanz

Thanks Kenny, for making us believe again. YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #6576 on: October 4, 2022, 04:21:19 pm »
These guys love taking things to the most ridiculous extreme on this forum and most unlike you probably haven’t even kicked a football 😂

But have they written a book?

Levels...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6577 on: October 4, 2022, 06:19:03 pm »
But have they written a book?

Levels...

this is fucking intense

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6578 on: October 4, 2022, 06:43:57 pm »
Love the usual suspects cherry picking a line from someones post and then all piling in.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Redric1970

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6579 on: October 4, 2022, 06:54:33 pm »
I still get PTSD from a game of Kerplunk when one stick made all the marbles drop. Dark days.

People really have no idea of what PTSD is I have a lot of colleagues who have it from Grenfell and other parts of the job getting upset over losing football matches I’m sorry I find it comical.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6580 on: October 4, 2022, 06:59:04 pm »
Love the usual suspects cherry picking a line from someones post and then all piling in.

the whole point was the no one knew who keyser soze was - thus he could hide in plain sight and not be piled on!

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #6581 on: October 4, 2022, 08:56:12 pm »
the whole point was the no one knew who keyser soze was - thus he could hide in plain sight and not be piled on!

But maybe he could be piled in...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6582 on: October 4, 2022, 10:02:00 pm »
So it looked like 4231 tonight with Jota as the 10.  But we did what City do and basically played 424 when the opposition had the ball at the back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6583 on: October 4, 2022, 10:04:44 pm »
I say we stick with it.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6584 on: October 4, 2022, 10:07:06 pm »
I think 4-2-3-1 suits our personnel a lot more these days. There's genuine questions as to why we've allowed ourselves to end up with a squad which suits a formation we almost never play. But it may well be a solution until January. Thiago, Fab, Henderson all get to cover the centre of the pitch and need to push wide less which means they're less exposed, it forces Trent to just play RB, it gets 4 forwards on the pitch when we're very strong there with 5 good options (I'm sorry for doubting you Bobby, may RAWK forgive me) and it gives a chance for Elliot and Carvalho to pickup more minutes. Neither of whom look like 8s or wide forwards in a 4-3-3 right now, but who'd both suit the 10 role. It gives Salah opportunity to rotate not with Trent and the 8 but with the 10 and 9 and so gets Salah into more central positions more often. What's not to like?

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #6585 on: October 4, 2022, 10:08:40 pm »
Can we please stop with the double sub of Elliott and Milner. I just don’t understand why we keep making it. They created some chances once we brought them on but we keep bringing them on game after game

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6586 on: October 4, 2022, 10:17:11 pm »
I mean was it 442 or 4231? Because at least half the time if not more Jota was pressed up with Nunez and Salah or Diaz or even Nunez would rotate back into the hole. Either way none of them are natural 10's and it showed at certain times. Thought Jota and Nunez especially struggled with each others positioning and made for some really odd moments. Also somewhat telling that Elliott was played as the LW instead of the 10, Salah went to the 9 with Firmino staying as the 10 so that Firmino plays more in midfield that way instead of Elliott.

Based on all that I wouldn't stick with this unless the opposition is at the same level as Rangers or you really want to start Firmino. Much easier to just go back to the 433 and ask Trent and the midfield to be just as conservative as they were today. Especially if you're going to play Nunez, the guy is a shot getting machine and we shouldn't need to be so aggressive combined with our other forwards unless the score line dictates it.

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6587 on: October 4, 2022, 10:18:19 pm »
Given how exposed we’ve looked all season in our old system I’d be happy for us to go into the next couple of games and see if it makes any difference against better opposition. Like others have said our squad makeup probably suits playing four upfront currently anyway plus going against Arsenal and City will be a pretty big barometer for us to see if it’s something we should plan for long term.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #6588 on: October 4, 2022, 10:25:13 pm »
Can we please stop with the double sub of Elliott and Milner. I just don’t understand why we keep making it. They created some chances once we brought them on but we keep bringing them on game after game
I can understand Elliott, but no idea why Milner is getting minutes after his start to the season.
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6589 on: October 4, 2022, 10:28:46 pm »
I mean was it 442 or 4231? Because at least half the time if not more Jota was pressed up with Nunez and Salah or Diaz or even Nunez would rotate back into the hole. Either way none of them are natural 10's and it showed at certain times. Thought Jota and Nunez especially struggled with each others positioning and made for some really odd moments. Also somewhat telling that Elliott was played as the LW instead of the 10, Salah went to the 9 with Firmino staying as the 10 so that Firmino plays more in midfield that way instead of Elliott.

Based on all that I wouldn't stick with this unless the opposition is at the same level as Rangers or you really want to start Firmino. Much easier to just go back to the 433 and ask Trent and the midfield to be just as conservative as they were today. Especially if you're going to play Nunez, the guy is a shot getting machine and we shouldn't need to be so aggressive combined with our other forwards unless the score line dictates it.

I think on the ball, the front four had the option to roam and switch positions - you saw this with Diaz, Jota, and sometime Salah. Nunez mostly stayed central and made the channel runs with the other three having more creative responsibilities.

Considering our current situation and personnel, I think it might work with better opposition as well, at least compared to the alternative. I think the compact holding two is actually quite important in this system and will not be the same even if we switched a "conservative" 4-3-3. My only concern is the #10 position, which I'm not sure who is most well suited to play. Probably comes most naturally to Carvalho who played it last season with Fulham. Jota might be our best option right now since his high-press and ability to cause chaos is invaluable. But he isn't great on the ball in that situation and, as you said, has tendencies of a striker so crowds out Nunez. But it's also the first time we've really played this formation so players will get used to each other so we should see the whole front-four system functioning better with more games.

Offline 6BigCups

• RAWK Journeyman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6590 on: October 4, 2022, 10:31:57 pm »
Firmino in the #10 which is of course his natural position, stick with it

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6591 on: October 4, 2022, 10:33:24 pm »
Jurgen seems really happy with it after the game so guessing we'll continue for Arsenal at least. Same again as tonight for me but with Bobby in for Diaz, Diogo on the left.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #6592 on: October 4, 2022, 10:49:23 pm »
I think on the ball, the front four had the option to roam and switch positions - you saw this with Diaz, Jota, and sometime Salah. Nunez mostly stayed central and made the channel runs with the other three having more creative responsibilities.

Considering our current situation and personnel, I think it might work with better opposition as well, at least compared to the alternative. I think the compact holding two is actually quite important in this system and will not be the same even if we switched a "conservative" 4-3-3. My only concern is the #10 position, which I'm not sure who is most well suited to play. Probably comes most naturally to Carvalho who played it last season with Fulham. Jota might be our best option right now since his high-press and ability to cause chaos is invaluable. But he isn't great on the ball in that situation and, as you said, has tendencies of a striker so crowds out Nunez. But it's also the first time we've really played this formation so players will get used to each other so we should see the whole front-four system functioning better with more games.

I think it would be really easy for a better team to isolate any of those four in the 10 space and turn the game into something similar to our Everton game which is why having a functional 10 or a more structured 4-3-3 would be better in my mind. But seemingly Klopp is saying now he liked how this worked so I guess let's just buckle in.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #6593 on: October 4, 2022, 11:22:12 pm »
I think it would be really easy for a better team to isolate any of those four in the 10 space and turn the game into something similar to our Everton game which is why having a functional 10 or a more structured 4-3-3 would be better in my mind. But seemingly Klopp is saying now he liked how this worked so I guess let's just buckle in.

I will be nice and ask you how isolating someone in the 10 space changes a game.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6594 on: October 5, 2022, 12:50:19 am »

I think the main idea tonight was to make changes to our line-up and our shape which would make us more likely to be more compact, particularly out of possession - a good way of doing this in our case is taking away a midfield player and going with a two instead of a three. Instead of having a three in which Henderson is doing a lot of running on the outside - trying to move opponents around and work space before subsequently having to sprint back to defend a transition - we went with a two in which Henderson has to occupy a more central position and be mindful of the fact that it’s just him and one other (in this case Thiago) covering that part of the pitch.

It will be interesting to see how we set up at the weekend. My hunch is that it will be a return to three in midfield but whether it’s a three or a two, I would be very surprised if the same principles as tonight did not apply against Arsenal - compact/closer together, with players in their natural positions and an emphasis on making more good decisions than bad decisions (even if that means not as much risk-taking).

Online Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6595 on: October 5, 2022, 08:14:58 am »
I liked the system, it allows Henderson to contribute defensively and do what he’s good at in terms of passing. My only concern is that it requires Jota and Diaz to do more running, which tbf they may be up to.

Don’t know where Elliot fits though? The 10? Wide right?

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6596 on: October 5, 2022, 08:31:45 am »
I liked the system, it allows Henderson to contribute defensively and do what he’s good at in terms of passing. My only concern is that it requires Jota and Diaz to do more running, which tbf they may be up to.

Don’t know where Elliot fits though? The 10? Wide right?

If anything, it gives Elliott the opportunity to play in his more natural position on the right wing. If you’re playing with four attackers, it helps to have one who is a bit more midfielder-y anyway. I would like to see him on the right and Salah put up front in the two at some point.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #6597 on: October 5, 2022, 08:42:06 am »
One thing is the opposition know we have added a difference to our approach and will put a doubt in their minds.

I thought we did well, you could see there is time needed to get it 100% but the movement from the top 4 i liked as it caused a lot of problems for Rangers even if not executed well each time. Hendo and thiago were very close to eachother i noticed, peeled off to help in other areas or attack if needed.
Defence seemed a lot more of a unit.

I think stick with it for now...can always switch to 433 if needed
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6598 on: October 5, 2022, 08:48:17 am »
Much better yesterday. Yet again we lost control of the midfield once Elliot and Milner came on and we switched to what looked like a 433. Let's stick to the 4231 for now please.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #6599 on: October 5, 2022, 08:49:33 am »
Much better yesterday. Yet again we lost control of the midfield once Elliot and Milner came on and we switched to what looked like a 433. Let's stick to the 4231 for now please.

We didn't go 433.  Elliott played right wing and Mo went up front.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.