Author Topic: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!  (Read 26027 times)

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Re: Never mind 4th or 5th, we could win the Europa League!
« Reply #80 on: February 8, 2011, 06:00:32 pm »
The longer we're in this the better, I hope kenny continues with roy's strategy (!) of playing kids in this as it'll help them develop against what will be better opposition at every stage. I'd love us to win the EL, definitely a great spring board and if snatched 4th we'd be a trophy better off and in great shape for next season's run at the league title and the champions league final ;)

Offline PETERC1992

• Anny Roader
« Reply #81 on: February 8, 2011, 06:00:35 pm »
Why is this even a question,we should be winnng this competition no doubt.Getting 4th and winning the europa league is hugely possble

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: February 8, 2011, 06:00:58 pm »
Right, so if we win this and finish fourth, we have to play in next years Europa League rather than Champions League? Can someone confirm this 'officially'? Because it sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

I think you are mixing things up with the scenario where we get 4th and the 5th place team wins the CL bumping us back into the EL.

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #83 on: February 8, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »

Or this one.

I couldn't find any picture of us celebrating 4th position to compare it against  ;)
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #84 on: February 8, 2011, 06:02:53 pm »
That very well may be, but I don't see how we are in a position to prioritise anything. We should put all our efforts into winning every game that we play. We are an outside bet for fourth, so we shouldn't rest players in the Europa League. I don't think we will anyway.

Thing is, winning the Europa League may very well give us some of the qualities we need not only to challenge for trophies, but to actually win them. Something which even that team didn't do.
Success breeds success, its a platform to build upon, I dont think think we would of done so well in the CL if we hadnt won the UFEA, gave a lot of players like Carra & Gerrard european experience. Plus people are forgetting Kenny, he never had the chance to manage us in Europe, he will be delighted with this chance and will take it with both hands.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline PROPER crazyemlyn72

• is Android
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: February 8, 2011, 06:06:12 pm »
well i've got my ticket to the final. theres loads of nice pubs for a day long pissup. now all i need is half of liverpool to invade dublin for one hell of a night. it really couldnt be any handier for yous scousers. a welcome invading army!

it would be like a home final.

Offline VamosLiverpool

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: February 8, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »
Winning it would be great but I'd prefer CL qualification anyday.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #87 on: February 8, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »
Why not kill two birds with one stone and achieve both?

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: February 8, 2011, 06:08:45 pm »
I think you are mixing things up with the scenario where we get 4th and the 5th place team wins the CL bumping us back into the EL.

Yeh that seems more like the rule. I wasnt getting confused, Ive seen people say what I asked would happen.

Well, lets get this trophy won!
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #89 on: February 8, 2011, 06:08:51 pm »
That very well may be, but I don't see how we are in a position to prioritise anything. We should put all our efforts into winning every game that we play. We are an outside bet for fourth, so we shouldn't rest players in the Europa League. I don't think we will anyway.

Thing is, winning the Europa League may very well give us some of the qualities we need not only to challenge for trophies, but to actually win them. Something which even that team didn't do.

We may rest players with the games being played over two legs, if we go into any second legs well placed ( stuff them first leg ) Kenny may well blood a few young ones.
He hasn't shyed away from playing or not playing anyone so far whether it's Poulsen, Spearing or Shelvey in the league, even when we where at the wrong end of the table.

I'm sure he'll find the right balance to compete for fourth, try to win the Europa and give some fringe players game time.

After the Chelsea game he was asked about fourth and he said he was focused on winning the next game at Wigan, I think he'll carry on like this regardless of whether it's a cup or league game.

The mans a winner through and through, I bet he's not lost a xmas day game of scrabble in years.
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline The Jolly Boys Outing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: February 8, 2011, 06:13:04 pm »
dublin would be a mammoth session ! 8)
AND ARBELOAAAAA

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #91 on: February 8, 2011, 06:14:27 pm »
Having  booked accommodation and flights, I certainly hope we make the final!

Good stuff.

I'm gonna run a bud down from Belfast if there's anyone from the 6 counties on here. If we cant get tickets, we'll go to the pub and join the street partying afterwards :)
YNWA

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: February 8, 2011, 06:16:11 pm »
I know we exist to try and win silverware, but even more than ever, I'm dying for us to win this now. As a player, Kenny won everything but never won anything in Europe as a manager. I don't think he'll use the kids as much though because I think he'll be in it to win it, and if they haven't already made up their mind, it'll tip the owners hand in favour of giving him the job permanently. 4th place would be lovely too!
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Scud02

• Legacy Fan
  • They call me Mr Fake
« Reply #93 on: February 8, 2011, 06:16:34 pm »
Good stuff.

I'm gonna run a bud down from Belfast if there's anyone from the 6 counties on here. If we cant get tickets, we'll go to the pub and join the street partying afterwards :)

Alright mate, I'm from Lisburn myself but over in Liverpool for uni.  I'll be back in NI around May time anyways, so IF and its an IF we get to Dublin would you mind if I tag along ? :)
Spirit of Shankly Membership Number 4294, Reclaim the Kop!  The King's Men

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #94 on: February 8, 2011, 06:19:00 pm »
Would be an epic piss up in Dublin.

bring a carry out then - and a sandwich.  have you seen the price of Dublin? :)
YNWA

Offline Andy88

• Kemlynite
  • YNWA
« Reply #95 on: February 8, 2011, 06:22:25 pm »
7/1 for both top4 finish and winning the EL... Earning money has never been easier... ;) Wonder if I can place those two bets in a double...
<- Against modern football.

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: February 8, 2011, 06:22:55 pm »
Alright mate, I'm from Lisburn myself but over in Liverpool for uni.  I'll be back in NI around May time anyways, so IF and its an IF we get to Dublin would you mind if I tag along ? :)

Certainly Comrade.

there's a few of us who know each other going but they are good fellas.  We're all reds at the end of the day!!!

Send me a PM so I dont forget about you.
YNWA

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #97 on: February 8, 2011, 06:23:37 pm »
If we're in it we should want to win it!
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #98 on: February 8, 2011, 06:25:12 pm »
One thing is dead certain. It will be a lot easier to win the Europa League, than to snatch 4th.

We're out of both domestical cups. We can easily go full throttle in both the league and in the EL.
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #99 on: February 8, 2011, 06:25:40 pm »

Or this one.

I couldn't find any picture of us celebrating 4th position to compare it against  ;)

Here it is. Oh my photoshop skills, what a monstrosity.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #100 on: February 8, 2011, 06:26:36 pm »
Would be an epic piss up in Dublin.
Completely forgot it was in Dublin. Would be like a home game if we got there. I don't think we should take all the effort away from winning this just in order to try and get 4th. I think if we keep up with the attitude and performances were giving at the moment then we have a realistic chance of both. Think 4th will be very difficult to get though.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline imnotcomingback

• Kopite
« Reply #101 on: February 8, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »
:lmao :wellin

Brilliant. It's like something from Sesame Street :)
YNWA

Offline the jesus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102 on: February 8, 2011, 06:36:48 pm »

Here it is. Oh my photoshop skills, what a monstrosity.

Brilliant ,think that illustrates my point perfectly.
Made me laugh that.
"We just stand beside each other, and help each other. And we make sure that what we’re doing, we’re doing correctly"- Kenny

“When you’re lost in a fog you must stick together. Then you don’t get lost. If there’s one secret to Liverpool, that’s it.” - Bob

Offline Daranoza

• Legacy Fan
  • Once more unto the breach, dear friends.
« Reply #103 on: February 8, 2011, 06:38:57 pm »
I'd take fourth.
Blank.

Offline Rock-N-Red

• Main Stander
  • 96 Never Forgotten
« Reply #104 on: February 8, 2011, 06:39:26 pm »
I said this last year, so I hope it doesn’t put a jinx on things. If we do manage to win it this year and it’s a big, big if, (the Uefa Cup/Europa League is a very difficult competition to win) it will set things up nicely for next year - that’s if we also qualify for the Europa League again.

I would imagine, though, that our priority will be to try to grab a top four place, especially if other results start to go our way. The money available from taking part in the Champion’s League is just too important. It would provide the powerhouse that would enable us to invest in the squad, attract top players and compete with richer clubs in all competitions, including the premiership. That’s why, Champion’s League qualification and, if possible, trying to reach the latter stages of it, must always be our priority – it’s a simple economic necessity.

The reason I said winning the Europa League this year would set things up nicely is as follows: it would mean that we would have four Uefa cup wins in total going into next year's, or any future year's, Europa League competition - the only club in this position. One more win would mean that we would be the first and only club to gain the badge of honour for this competition and the first club to have won badges of honour for both major European competitions. We would also have been the first Club to win the Uefa Cup outright, though, unlike the European Cup, I don’t think this is actually possible any longer. I think Uefa changed things and took away the possibility of keeping the original trophy when it introduced the Europa League format. I imagine, however, that they would give us some form of official replica in such circumstances.

So, in summary, the records we could potentially gain next term by wining the Cup this year are as follows:

•   First and only Club to be awarded the Badge of Honour for the UEFA Cup/Europa League

•   First and only Club to have effectively won both major European trophies outright

•   First and only Club to have been awarded the badge of honour for both major European competitions.

We would also be in the position of having won a total of 10 major European Trophies, which has only been bettered by Real Madrid.

It would certainly be one for the record books and would make competing in the Europa League again next year, or any future year, really exciting. But let’s not get carried away, there is a long, long way to go yet - it's always nice to dream though!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #105 on: February 8, 2011, 06:52:55 pm »
I'd prefer 4th.

Yep - CL means "big" players want to come and join us. Not being in there has cost us torres and looks as if Reina is having second thoughts
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline topcorner2345

• Main Stander
  • You Get Me !
« Reply #106 on: February 8, 2011, 06:59:08 pm »
Its a trophy and i would take it all day. Will also help in quest for 4th spot too in terms of games to gel the team and style of play

Offline zip

• Legacy Fan
  • That was liquid football!
« Reply #107 on: February 8, 2011, 07:03:20 pm »
We haven't won a cup for a long time now, would be a real confidence boost for our players.

Sparta played a friendly against Zenit St. Petersburg today and won 2-1, not a bad result against the Russian champions.
« Last Edit: February 8, 2011, 07:14:40 pm by zip »
One day, people will hopefully look back and say "I was there son. I was there the year that Spurs won nothing again."

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #108 on: February 8, 2011, 07:13:13 pm »
I'll take both, thanks very much.

Offline shaneleekavo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #109 on: February 8, 2011, 07:23:39 pm »
i sincerely hope we win this as i have tickets for the final and being from Dublin i can guarantee the session would be f*&king brilliant :) :)!!!!i think we've a great chance of doing so now and with big andy in the ranks any of our european opposition defenders wont know how to handle him!!VIVAAAAA the AVIVAAAAAAAA  :D

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 8, 2011, 07:36:58 pm »

So, in summary, the records we could potentially gain next term by wining the Cup this year are as follows:

•   First and only Club to be awarded the Badge of Honour for the UEFA Cup/Europa League

•   First and only Club to have effectively won both major European trophies outright

•   First and only Club to have been awarded the badge of honour for both major European competitions.

We would also be in the position of having won a total of 10 major European Trophies, which has only been bettered by Real Madrid.

Says a lot that... Missing 4th will be bad, but this (being 4th in the league) wasn't in anyone plans some month ago... We shoold try as hard as we can for both! Liverpool is there for the trophies some said and that second is nothing... For me the choice is made... and to the 'world class' players who wouldn't want to come and play here because of the lack of CL football I can only tell to go and do one... Play for Liverpool should be enough to motivate them... btw, we bought Mascherano from West Ham Reserves, Alonso from Sociedad and Pepe from Villarreal, the talent is not always at 20 m+ £... it's outhere, we should just go and pick it!

« Last Edit: February 8, 2011, 07:41:52 pm by Gainsbarre »
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #111 on: February 8, 2011, 07:39:24 pm »

Of course, I would absolutely love if we win the Europa League ... However, we are in a rebuilding process, and a Champions League qualification for next season would shorten that process for 12, maybe even 24 months ... Considering Gerrard's age, that would be a significant gain ... By playing in the Champions League, we will have a better chance of retaining all of our best players, and we will also be able to attract better talent ... Once again, I would love for us to win the Europa League, but the great teams are playing in the Champions League ...
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline blackie2009

• Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96
« Reply #112 on: February 8, 2011, 07:46:16 pm »
Is anyone actually saying we cant do both? whether its because of the chelsea result or not but i feel really optimistic at the minute. I feel our fringe players could make steady progress through the waffa cup and therefore letting the likes of carra an gerrard stay fit for the league games so we can push on for 4th. Maybe i'm wrong but it feels so much better thinkin that way rather than 4 months ago dreadin playin the likes of doncaster and ipswich away next season.

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #113 on: February 8, 2011, 07:48:41 pm »
While we are in the competition obviously we still have every chance of winning it lol. Are form was good in the europa under Hodgson so there's no reason we can get something out of this competition with Kenny. to be honest it would be great to win it, I hope the players play like they are really up for it.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: February 8, 2011, 07:50:59 pm »
With Kenny's current one game at a time approach I can see us going for this as well as the league.

Given the choice I'd probably take 4th place but winning trophies is always great and while we are in a competition we should be doing everything we can to win it.

It's all about momentum, keep it rolling regardless of the competition.
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline RedPat

• Legacy Fan
  • Kenny Godglish
« Reply #115 on: February 8, 2011, 07:52:01 pm »
I am praying we get to the final as i live in Ballsbridge.
Kenny Godglish

Offline kopblooded

• Anny Roader
« Reply #116 on: February 8, 2011, 07:57:07 pm »
Just went on the UEFA  site and they say International Ticket sales start on Feb 21. Question for yew folks, in the most unlikely scenario of Liverpool not making it to the final ;D ,  I wouldnt be really keen to go watch.  Do these tickets get sold easily on Ebay?/ the likes?

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #117 on: February 8, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »
I think as the treble season proved, this competition can give you huge momentum in the league and other competitions (although this doesn't apply this season). The lads will enjoy the European nights at Anfield against weaker opposition while also getting the chance to enjoy team building, morale boosting trips to Europe, places they haven't been 10 times before like PSV or Marseille. Confidence from this will be transferred into the league form.

And LFC are not above this competition. We are all proud of our European history and pedigree, and the UEFA cup plays a big part in that. Dortmund will always be up there with my best LFC memories and I hope we can add to that in Dublin in May.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline sixpackred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #118 on: February 8, 2011, 08:09:21 pm »
Yeah, of course we'd all take 4th over the EL if we had the choice, but winning it would still be a fantastic way to cap a remarkable turnaround in our season.  It wouldn't do us any harm in the summer transfer window either.  What wouldn't you give to see Kenny lifting a trophy in May?

What an amazing sight that would be. Quite right. Kenny lifting the trophy - that image beats any league position beneath the number one spot for me. Besides I think we all deserve a final after what we have been through of late.
"There are things to sort out with the owners and the sale of the club. It is not in the hands of the players but, once we are done with all that, let's build a proper team with a proper squad that is competitive. Maybe then we can start to fight for bigger targets."

Pepe Reina / May 01, 2010

Offline redway101

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: February 8, 2011, 08:12:55 pm »
Actually winning one of a limited number of available silverware is for me a bigger achievement. Just goes to show how screwed modern football is that finishing 4th is viewed as a much bigger achievement than actually winning something.

I would have said finishing 4th is vital for the club because it allows to buy from the top table when it comes to transfers. However after seeing Suarez and Carroll join us I'm a bit more relaxed now. Given the profile of the sort of player we seem to be after having CL football immediate probably isn't an essential requirement.