Author Topic: Disney Theme Parks  (Read 41159 times)

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Disney Theme Parks
« on: May 10, 2013, 07:34:35 pm »
Hi all

I'm sure there are rawkites out there that have been, or are planning on taking on the beast, that is Walt Disney World in Florida.

I've decided to take the plunge and take the wife and three kids (they'll be 8,5 and 20 months when we go) to Walt Disney world, staying at the new Disney Art of Animation resort from 26 oct - 7 nov 13

What I never appreciated was the military operation it is to plan the trip. We've booked some restaurants, as they are normally fully booked 180 days in advance. Planned to visit certain parks on certain days to make sure we get to see the parades and fireworks, but have also planned to build in lots of rest time for the kids (and me).

What would be a massive help is for anyone who has been or going soon, to post some genuine useful advice. We are all looking forward to it, but we are also aware that we won't see and do everything, so what's good to do? What's best to miss? Is the mickeys not so scary Halloween party (extra 200 dollars) worth it?

Thanks y'all!!!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 09:35:37 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Walt Disney World, Florida
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:58:39 pm »
What's best to miss?

The Florida turnpike...  actually, Florida in general with the exception of Lake Okeechobee and the Keys. 

It's the perfect cookie cutter family getaway though, so you'll probably dig it.  Would recommend any of the Studios over the actual Disney park.

Been to Disney twice, both times as a kid, dug the rides and all but didn't dig the place in general.  Too many people, imo.  You're gonna have an absolute blast with two walkers and a carry-on, let me tell ya...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 08:00:26 pm by The Red Dojo »

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 08:02:55 pm »
Seems you're already well planned. I assume you've used sites like the DISboards as you're pretty up on things like the 180 days in advance (though unless you are desperate for a specific restaurant you'd not struggle to eat somewhere - we did loads of walk ups last month and didn't have a problem getting a table anywhere).

Art of Animation is nice too, we went to have a look round and use the good court, which is very good - lots of variety and much more than your usual burgers and fries food courts :)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 08:03:05 pm »
I await the arrival of the Judith Chalmers of Florida...... ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 08:04:22 pm »
You were too late ;)

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:46 pm »
10 seconds Dagnamit! ;D
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 08:22:06 pm »
I used to live near there.....there's all the usual stuff like Disney, Epcot, Universal, etc but if you have some time, spread your wings a bit.

Kissimmee is a blast, try Wet 'n Wild for a day. If you like sci-fi, there's an ace shop very close to it too.

Get out into the sticks - St Cloud ("Go Bulldogs!!!") is a fairly typical town, plenty of places nearby to eat - I love IHOP btw. It's on the road from Kissimmee to Cocoa Beach, which is also worth a visit (Ron Jon's!) and if you're interested in space, there's Kennedy of course, near Cocoa - that's a fucking hoot, well worth the trip, I loved it more than anything Epcot offered!

Fireworks at Disney though are boss, no denying it.

Enjoy.

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:26:02 pm »
Hi all

I'm sure there are rawkites out there that have been, or are planning on taking on the beast, that is Walt Disney World in Florida.

I've decided to take the plunge and take the wife and three kids (they'll be 8,5 and 20 months when we go) to Walt Disney world, staying at the new Disney Art of Animation resort from 26 oct - 7 nov 13

What I never appreciated was the military operation it is to plan the trip. We've booked some restaurants, as they are normally fully booked 180 days in advance. Planned to visit certain parks on certain days to make sure we get to see the parades and fireworks, but have also planned to build in lots of rest time for the kids (and me).

What would be a massive help is for anyone who has been or going soon, to post some genuine useful advice. We are all looking forward to it, but we are also aware that we won't see and do everything, so what's good to do? What's best to miss? Is the mickeys not so scary Halloween party (extra 200 dollars) worth it?

Thanks y'all!!!

planning to go there just after you leave!

My brother has been before and said to have the meal deals as obviously you pay for it all now and when you get there you don't have to worry about the cost of food and means more spending money, also one of the water parks looks like all the rides will be closed for the 30th october!

Don't know much more to tell you really but the lil un might be a bit too small too go on a lot of rides , mine will be 38 months and may just reach all the minimum requirements (hoping for a couple of growth spurts)

But it will be fun!

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »
Been twice and the last time I was in Pop Century hotel which is across the lake from the animation one which wasn't finished when I was there last.
I'll have a think about any tips I remember and post them back in here

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 09:16:15 pm »
Cheers folks so far.

We decided against the Disney dining plan (at the mo) as we wanted a flexible holiday as we don't want to be too tied down to being disney all the time.

Flying with Thompson, into sandford so a bit of a trek to get to disney resorts.

We are planning on dipping in and out of the parks, as the kids will get super tired and the resort we are staying at has lots for kids.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:58:29 pm »
Cheers folks so far.

We decided against the Disney dining plan (at the mo) as we wanted a flexible holiday as we don't want to be too tied down to being disney all the time.

Flying with Thompson, into sandford so a bit of a trek to get to disney resorts.

We are planning on dipping in and out of the parks, as the kids will get super tired and the resort we are staying at has lots for kids.

1) Plan each day thoroughly
2) Do loads of research on the Internet and the Disney Forums
3) Plan each day
4) Print out Park maps and get the kids to decide which rides/attractions they simply must see - EG @ Epcot - Test Track; The Globe; Mission Space. @ Universal & Studios - MIB, ET, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Spiderman. Prioritise the rides they want to do and also plan to do some rides during the second Parade if you have watched the first parade.
5) Plan each day
6) When you get to each park, go left through the gates and go clockwise around the park as most people tend to go right and go around anti-clockwise.
7) Plan each day
8) Don't count on the kids getting tired. When we went, Jess was 9 and James 7 and the day we were at Magic Kingdom we were there from 8.30am until 01.30am the next day.
9) Plan each day
10) Get a reall good spec for the parades about 2 hours before they start so you have a frontline view. Guard your space as people will try and push in front of you.
11) Do the wet rides first - at Univeral (IIRC) we went on the Popeye Rapids 8 continuous times getting completely drenched and then went on the next water ride whose name I forget. Then I went back to the car and got the changes of clothes for us all and we carried on in nice, dry clothes. Also it is worth the extra few dollars to pay for priority parking.
12) Plan each day

You get the picture. If you know that you are going to go to Florida every year or so, then you won't be under so much pressure to get everything done. We knew that it was going to be a very long time, if ever at all, before we went back so we planned everything to the last degree to get the absolute maximum out of our time there. Seaworld was amazing as was Busch Gardens. We went to MGM on Labour Day and it was too busy for us to enjoy. We loved Wet'N'Wild, Typhoon Lagoon, Epcot, Universal and Universal Studios but the highlight of the whole trip and the Park we left until last was Magic Kingdom....

Enjoy it....
6) Get to each park early every day after having breakfast at the nearest Ponderosa. Go left through the gates
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 10:06:54 pm »
You are doing it right imo. Time of year is good, so much quieter September onward until thanksgiving. Not sure if it is much busier at Halloween.

The weather is much more forgiving in the autumn as well, as long as you don't min the odd thunder storm.

Staying in Disney is great due to the transport system.

Head to the parks early (for opening if you can bear the early starts) and head clockwise, tends to be against the crowds. For instance, at Magic Kingdom head for Splash mountain and work back across the park from there.

Edit - Just do what Jason said  ;D.

If you need any tips head to the Dibb - www.thedibb.co.uk it's full of people that are as sad as me.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 10:21:01 pm by eddymunster »
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 10:11:51 pm »
what me and the family are doing (i think, as we have a wedding to go to as well) is spending 4 days in orlando and a few days in tampa bay etc like spread it around florida as there is busch gardens in tampa bay with a sesame street part etc I havent researched much into it yet, but if you do find anything good to do, please let me know, as I'm doing a day a busch gardens and another day at warner bros and about 4 nights at disney!

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 10:22:56 pm »
I would highly recommend Discovery Cove.
Brexit (n) - "The undefined being negotiated by the unprepared in order to get the unspecified for the uninformed."

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 08:10:44 am »
Been twice and the last time I was in Pop Century hotel which is across the lake from the animation one which wasn't finished when I was there last.
I'll have a think about any tips I remember and post them back in here

What was the journey times to the theme parks like? Did you use the free buses or drive?

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 08:12:28 am »
And thanks for the advice Jason!

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Walt Disney World, Florida
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 09:53:20 am »
Has anyone been over Christmas and New Year? Does it get mad busy?

We're thinking of going this year but the only two weeks we can get off work together is Christmas
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 10:02:31 am »
Has anyone been over Christmas and New Year? Does it get mad busy?

We're thinking of going this year but the only two weeks we can get off work together is Christmas

I imagine so, but the place would be incredible over Xmas.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 11:00:39 am »
It gets insane of Christmas.
Week between Christmas and New Year is the busiest of the year.
If you can go late November  or early December you'll get all the Xmas atmosphere and decorations without the crowds

Online Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Walt Disney World, Florida
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 11:17:58 am »
What was the journey times to the theme parks like? Did you use the free buses or drive?
yeah I used the free buses to all the Disney parks, Magic kingdom is the furthest from your hotel so takes 20-30 mins depending on how many stops it makes, the water parks (shut when you go) MGM , Animal kingdom and Epcot are about 5-10-15mins again depending on how many stops ,going back sometimes we got a taxi if the lines for the bus were too long, doesn't cost much.
Think you made the right decision in not getting the dining plan because it's easier to just eat where ever takes your fancy and not all restaurants cater for the dining plan ,the rainforest cafe in downtown Disney and Animal kingdom are brilliant for the kids, the food in the hotels are fine to eat once in a while but you wouldn't want to be eating your evening meal there every night, sometimes we jumped in a taxi to go to and from a McDonald's 5 mins away (10 dollars) to get a carry and just go and collapse in our room

I went all Clarke Griswold National Lampoon with my planning about where to go each day in the build up to the holiday and it didn't quite go to what I planned but not far off, just make sure you have a lazy day off now and again to recharge the batterys because its fucking knackering ;D
Taxi to Universal ,wet + wild (which will be open when you go) and sea world/ aquatica  or any where else in international drive is about 35 dollars to get there and obviously the same back
In the hotel and Disney parks you can buy the big cups when you get there and you get free refills for the whole stay which saves money
If you like your beer like me it's a bit expensive in the hotel so second day I got a taxi to a supermarket and bought some multi-packs of it and sprite/fanta and crisps for the room, we said to the hotel that we needed a fridge for the room for medication for the kids ;) so we definitely got one because there's only so many that they have ,book it through your travel agent but have a name of some medication incase they ask, which mine did, and they tried to charge me for it at the end of the holiday at the checking out desk so I reminded them it was free for medical reasons and they dropped it easily enough
Fucking brains hurting now after all that ;D, but if I remember anything else I will post back

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 11:20:00 am »
I hate the disney transport, always take a car even when staying onsite.

Oh and the waterparks won't be shut when OP goes, but it might not be ideal waterparks temperatures

Offline kmo1969

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Walt Disney World, Florida
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 11:46:53 am »
I would highly recommend Discovery Cove.

Yep, I second that. We had an amazing day there when we went last year. Tickets are expensive but food & drink are free all day and you get unlimited free entrance into Sea World and Aquatica.
"When I decided to sign a new contract I did it because Liverpool Football Club is more than a club. It is the heart of the city. It is our life and for the people here it means so much. I thought I had to sign. We have to fight. We have to do it."

"Hello, a big heart has space for everyone. Thank you."

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 12:11:54 pm »

Oh and the waterparks won't be shut when OP goes, but it might not be ideal waterparks temperatures
depends if your going to be over the limit most mornings as to whether it's a good idea to get a car or not ;)
And one of the Disney water parks always closes in November for refurbishment but 1 will be open, and your right it might not be ideal temperatures for spending the day in just shorts ;D

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 12:23:45 pm »
Aye the alternate a big refurb each winter.

Last time we went in October a few years back there's no way I'd have wanted to do a waterpark.

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2013, 12:52:23 pm »

Last time we went in October a few years back there's no way I'd have wanted to do a waterpark.
first time I was supposed to go was in November but I broke my ankle so had to put it off until January, went to Wet + wild first , fucking freezing when your in and out of the water ;D
And I had to buy jackets for all of us for the evenings due to the cold

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06:11 pm »
I havent been to the Florida one - but have been to Disneyland California - which I loved!  Anyway we used the fast passes a lot when we were there, found them really good.

Also recommend the clockwork route.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 02:09:24 pm by In Fowler we trust »
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2013, 02:10:45 pm »
its a good place, busch gardens and universal studios shits on it though in terms of rides etc. still got to go though.dont get me wong nt saying its shite, but theres far far better places.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 04:12:17 pm »

No, they are open but there was a long long long list of which waterpark rides were closed for all of november which was all of the rides!

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 04:34:03 pm »
Do you have a link for that?

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2013, 04:59:40 pm »
That only gives May doesn't it?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2013, 05:37:43 pm »

We all loved Wet'N'Wild....I was the only one brave enough to go on the Bomb - that was an experience.....
We also loved Typhoon Lagoon - James and I went on one water slide and waited at the bottom for what we seemed like ages for Debs & Jess to come down. Suddenly I heard some screaming and some expletives and said to James that his mother was on the way. Jess and Debs suitably arrived at the bottom of the slide and were in some discomfort as the water pressure had gone the 'wrong way' and nearly gave them both an enema. The best parts at TL were swimming with the sharks (I defy you to do it without hearing the Jaws music in your head) and being in the actual Lagoon when the big wave came....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline eddymunster

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2013, 09:59:08 pm »
That only gives May doesn't it?

No, read further down.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2013, 04:06:15 pm »
just in case nobody has mentioned it MAKE A PLAN!!

I'm sure this isn't cheap so make the most of your time. Don't be sitting around saying "what shall we do today". and build in some breaks to the plans - even if its a trip to the movies or play some mini golf with the kids. doing theme parks day after day is exhausting.

unless you are staying on a busy bit of international drive then get a car. be in control of your holiday.

I'd highly recommend having a seaworld/busch gardens combo ticket - especially if it includes aquatic. As for water temps - well lets put it this way - last summer I was hot. It didn't drop below 70f until October. AT NIGHT.  the water will be fine.

if you have a car try the different beaches - east coast for waves (someone mentioned Cocoa beach I think) and west coast for calm waters (think Clearwater area).

LEGOLAND have opened here now - good for the kids but as there is one already in the UK its easy to skip.

I've only ever stayed on site at universal and that was for the early access to the park and the unlimited fast pass that comes with those hotel rooms. Being as its October it shouldn't be that busy. Check Disboards for more information. I've done xmas here and it was a zoo!!

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2013, 05:45:35 pm »
It's disneys typhoon lagoon that is pratically closed for refurbishment from the 27th October till the 30th November!

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 06:11:27 pm »
It's disneys typhoon lagoon that is pratically closed for refurbishment from the 27th October till the 30th November!
looks like it's summit plummit for you in blizzard beach then.
Don't mind saying I cacked it a bit at the top of that slide ;D until the 10 year old in front of me just didn't seem to be bothered by it (the cocky little shit ;D)

Offline lauz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 06:18:28 pm »
looks like it's summit plummit for you in blizzard beach then.
Don't mind saying I cacked it a bit at the top of that slide ;D until the 10 year old in front of me just didn't seem to be bothered by it (the cocky little shit ;D)

I'm not sure if i'm going to the waterparks or not, i think we're staying 4 nights in the hotels but one day we are going to the wedding so could just be 3 days of disney, can't say I'm too disappointed anyway!

Online Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 06:50:20 pm »
I'm not sure if i'm going to the waterparks or not, i think we're staying 4 nights in the hotels but one day we are going to the wedding so could just be 3 days of disney, can't say I'm too disappointed anyway!
if I didn't have kids I wouldn't be too bothered about most of Disney either :D unless you actually like meeting people in cartoon suits ;D

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 07:01:56 pm »
Disney Cruise Line is far superior to Disney World too

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 07:52:27 pm »