Author Topic: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube  (Read 449877 times)

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Confirmed!
« Reply #720 on: August 5, 2018, 12:07:13 pm »
Relaxing after the game..

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #721 on: August 5, 2018, 12:08:11 pm »
Probably ran more in 45 minutes than Charlie Adam did in his whole Liverpool career.

Offline joekim87

• Truly gone shark fishing.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #722 on: August 5, 2018, 12:24:04 pm »
Did we strike gold in missing out on Fekir and ending up with this guy?

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: August 5, 2018, 12:38:13 pm »
seems to be trying to hard to make and impression like ox initially. Loads of running but not in sync with the team yet

things going to get really interesting once he settled down and get used to our pressing triggers. when to and not to press

really impressed with his play on the ball. never hiding and loves to play the quick ball into space for our players to run to.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: August 5, 2018, 01:03:58 pm »

We would have had them both.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #725 on: August 5, 2018, 05:37:43 pm »
seems to be trying to hard to make and impression like ox initially. Loads of running but not in sync with the team yet

things going to get really interesting once he settled down and get used to our pressing triggers. when to and not to press

really impressed with his play on the ball. never hiding and loves to play the quick ball into space for our players to run to.

The mentality of players Klopp buys is just something else. Our recruitment is at a level I've never seen to be honest.

Under Rafa we did incredibly well on recruitment considering what we were up against, and how little he had to work with.

Klopp is even better I think. Every player we sign seems to be desperate to play for him and make an impact. The turnaround in our fortunes under him in terms of recruitment is massive. From being turned down by the likes of Mkhitaryan, Willian and Sanchez to buying the best CB, GK and CM 'relatively available' on the market (not saying Keita>Modric or anything, Modric, Busquets etc are not buyable).

First time since Rafa I feel like top players really want to play for us. Great feeling.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #726 on: August 5, 2018, 06:10:29 pm »
The mentality of players Klopp buys is just something else. Our recruitment is at a level I've never seen to be honest.

Under Rafa we did incredibly well on recruitment considering what we were up against, and how little he had to work with.

Klopp is even better I think. Every player we sign seems to be desperate to play for him and make an impact. The turnaround in our fortunes under him in terms of recruitment is massive. From being turned down by the likes of Mkhitaryan, Willian and Sanchez to buying the best CB, GK and CM 'relatively available' on the market (not saying Keita>Modric or anything, Modric, Busquets etc are not buyable).

First time since Rafa I feel like top players really want to play for us. Great feeling.

How true.

Still could not forgive how the mucks like Miki and Sanchez turned out down. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise in the long run barring a 2 years of short term pain. Imagine us getting saddled with their salaries like Utd did.

However, I feel FSG was really tight back then and haggling over that 1 or 2 million and it is quite different this season where we finally flex our muscles.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
Re: Xherdan Shaqiri - Sponsored by The Cube
« Reply #727 on: August 5, 2018, 06:24:37 pm »
Now that he-who-shall-not-be-named is at Barcelona, Shaqiri can take over the mantle of long range screamers. A 35 yard winner in stoppage time at Old Trafford please.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #728 on: August 7, 2018, 09:51:08 am »
Now that he-who-shall-not-be-named is at Barcelona, Shaqiri can take over the mantle of long range screamers. A 35 yard winner in stoppage time at Old Trafford please.

With De Gea fumbling it in, please.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: August 7, 2018, 02:00:50 pm »

We wanted both. Shaqiri is now only being used in centre because we missed out on Fekir imo. BUT if we can increase his work rate like we did with Chamberlain he can be just as good hopefully. He's quicker than Fekir.

If he suits that position then I think we'll play him there instead of the wing and go for someone like Pulisic to rotate with Mane/Salah either in Jan or next summer. Shaqiri has got that attributes to play there, just the work rate question for me, but if Klopp can't get that from him no one will. He's worked hard so far.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2018, 02:04:22 pm by clinical »
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: August 7, 2018, 02:23:19 pm »

No.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #731 on: August 7, 2018, 03:03:09 pm »

We wanted both.

We don't know that. That was a line in the Echo, which at the time felt like their usual management of fan expectations, but for whatever reason everyone has taken as the truth.

What we do know is that they are both left-footed, diminutive attacking midfielders. We know that the Shaqiri link emerged around the time Fekir was failing his medical. We know that he is at the club and Fekir isn't.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: August 7, 2018, 03:09:00 pm »
Old piece this but here is something Ted Knutson put up on Shaqiri a few years back:
https://statsbomb.com/2014/06/xherdan-shaqiri-vs-adam-lallana-a-liverpool-joint/

'He’s a natural wide player, but could potentially play more centrally with some training work. 2.8 shots per 90 isn’t there, but if he played more centrally he would likely turn into a shot monster (4+ a game).'

Interesting.... considering Klopp clearly has eyes for him in a CM role.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: August 7, 2018, 03:44:56 pm »
We don't know that. That was a line in the Echo, which at the time felt like their usual management of fan expectations, but for whatever reason everyone has taken as the truth.

What we do know is that they are both left-footed, diminutive attacking midfielders. We know that the Shaqiri link emerged around the time Fekir was failing his medical. We know that he is at the club and Fekir isn't.

We were linked with him before Fekir had his medical. The report came out the day before.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: August 7, 2018, 04:11:46 pm »
We were linked with him before Fekir had his medical. The report came out the day before.

I recall it being the same day as Fekir was having his medical, and a day before the news came out, but you may be right. Either way, I think it's entirely plausible that we followed up our Shaqiri interest because of Fekir failing his medical.

Personally, I genuinely don't see why we'd want both when there's a bigger need for a back-up to Firmino or a wide player with genuine pace.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: August 7, 2018, 04:23:25 pm »
I recall it being the same day as Fekir was having his medical, and a day before the news came out, but you may be right. Either way, I think it's entirely plausible that we followed up our Shaqiri interest because of Fekir failing his medical.

Personally, I genuinely don't see why we'd want both when there's a bigger need for a back-up to Firmino or a wide player with genuine pace.

Fekir can play the role that Firmino does and cover a role in midfield. He can't really play wide as he has no pace to do so, he wouldn't be effective there. Shaqiri does have pace plus other abilities that may be similar to Fekir's, but it's not outlandish to want both.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: August 7, 2018, 04:31:51 pm »
Fekir can play the role that Firmino does and cover a role in midfield. He can't really play wide as he has no pace to do so, he wouldn't be effective there. Shaqiri does have pace plus other abilities that may be similar to Fekir's, but it's not outlandish to want both.

Agree Shaqiri definitely has more pace than credited for, but he wants to use it in central areas, be it from starting there or moving inside. I think we lack a player who is more comfortable using his pace on the outside - i.e. what we have seen at times from Mané at his flying best.

I also agree that it's certainly not outlandish that we may have signed both in an alternate universe where Fekir has fully-functioning knees. I'm just not sure we can say that's what the club definitely wanted to happen with certainty based on a line in the Echo.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: August 7, 2018, 04:37:12 pm »

Fekir was the back up for Firmino mate.

It wasn't just echo all papers said it wasn't one or the other.

I'd bet my house on Shaqiri initially signed as back up winger to mo and mane. But I think in training Klopp has been impressed and tried  him in centre.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2018, 04:39:04 pm by clinical »

Offline Johns_Barn

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #738 on: August 7, 2018, 04:47:29 pm »
Xherdan will be a cult hero by March.

^dis.

I'm still pinching myself he cost £13m...he'll be hailed as the buy of the season.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #739 on: August 8, 2018, 01:06:48 am »
Referring to the Ted Knutson article, one uncanny thing you'll notice is that most of our buys come from individuals that he also recommended, which makes me wonder if the club uses a similar model to find the perfect fits into our systems. Around that time, another link we had was Depay, and he also was highly recommended by Knutson in 2015. Given that we've kept track of individuals that we missed out on to see if we could go back for them at a later date if they keep up their numbers (a la Salah {that rhyming was unintentional} or Shaqiri), I guess we'd be interested in Depay too if it weren't for United's buyback clause because he's done fantastic once he went pack to playing progressive football instead of too sour defensive c*nts in Mourinho and Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: August 8, 2018, 03:15:27 am »
Agree Shaqiri definitely has more pace than credited for, but he wants to use it in central areas, be it from starting there or moving inside. I think we lack a player who is more comfortable using his pace on the outside - i.e. what we have seen at times from Mané at his flying best.

I also agree that it's certainly not outlandish that we may have signed both in an alternate universe where Fekir has fully-functioning knees. I'm just not sure we can say that's what the club definitely wanted to happen with certainty based on a line in the Echo.
Do we have anyone that really constantly goes on the outside?
Mane used to do it in his first season here but he's been playing a playmaker role since mid last season. He picks and chooses his moments to try and beat defenders.
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #741 on: August 8, 2018, 03:18:08 am »
Fekir was the back up for Firmino mate.

It wasn't just echo all papers said it wasn't one or the other.

I'd bet my house on Shaqiri initially signed as back up winger to mo and mane. But I think in training Klopp has been impressed and tried  him in centre.

We don't play with wingers, though.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #742 on: August 8, 2018, 07:04:34 am »
Thought Shaquiri was bought to strengthen the squad, but he's already showing why he could play, and start, a lot more games than I thought - and I was keen on signing him both before he joined Stoke and also during this window.

His play last night was a case in point. Really want to see him get a chance behind the front three to see the damage he can do from there. Think he could be phenomenal for us this season. £13m is an absolute steal.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2wpYVLaGJzw
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #743 on: August 8, 2018, 07:17:50 am »
Price tags shouldn't matter, but they do affect expectations.
Must be nice to come in with such a smallish price tag.

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: August 8, 2018, 08:26:27 am »
Him and a fit strurrige basically "replacing"  ings and solanke as options around the first 11 is a massive massive improvement.

Add in lallana who hopfully kicks on again, jones who is looking class etc and our depth is looking fucking awesome.

Was hoping for a fekir but if the cube keeps playing like this, their is no need.
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #745 on: August 8, 2018, 08:47:33 am »
Like every one else I'm massively impressed by him. Can't remember him giving the ball away, he shields it well, turns well, spreads passes inside and out. I think he's loving playing with intelligent players like Sturridge
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline clinical

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #746 on: August 8, 2018, 09:10:34 am »
We don't play with wingers, though.

Just take the word winger out and point still stands.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: August 8, 2018, 09:29:55 am »
Him and a fit strurrige basically "replacing"  ings and solanke as options around the first 11 is a massive massive improvement.

Add in lallana who hopfully kicks on again, jones who is looking class etc and our depth is looking fucking awesome.

Was hoping for a fekir but if the cube keeps playing like this, their is no need.

Looking around at the second half team last night and thinking of the players who were unavailable, our League and FA Cup teams are going to be so so strong this season. Really do think we will pick up some silverware.

Was in row 10 of the Main last night at the Kop end, so got a really good look at Shaqiri in both the warm up and the second half - fucking hell, he is solid, looks like a mini Juggernaut from the X-Men. never realised how good he is, so good with his feet, turns really well and he put a great cross in for Sturridge.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: August 8, 2018, 09:52:58 am »
he was a stand out player sorounded by not that great players...

in this team he will thrive, less expectations on his performances alone means more freadom for him...

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #749 on: August 8, 2018, 10:01:07 am »
Motherfucking Shaq x2
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: August 8, 2018, 10:11:52 am »
He's a very very good player.  Always has been.  Its not that huge a surprise that he's starting to show that potential again.

The obvious taint for many is he came from Stoke, and why was he there in the first place, if he's that good.

Without tracking his career that closely in all honesty, and just trying to use common sense.......he was massively sought after as a 20yr old as we know and for good reason at the time and joined Bayern as one of the best young players in Europe.  Things didn't work out there, went to Inter, another big team.  Things didn't work out there.

Maybe he was just stung one time too many by the big clubs at the time.  He was only 22/23 and it was maybe just too much, too soon, and not the support network at those clubs he needed to thrive under.

Mark Hughes was at Stoke at the time and to be fair, he had some decent players there at the time, playing decent football.

And he probably sold a good project to Shaq and gave him a bit of the love and arm around the shoulder he probably needed for a lad that age.

I don't think Stoke was necessarily the wrong move for him, but he possibly stayed there a little too long.

But who are we to complain?  As a result, we've got a genuinely brilliant player at a knock down price, and who has grown up and matured brilliantly over that time, which he wasn't afforded at Bayern or Inter, and who is ready again to step back into the big team arena, that bit more experienced and savvy.

Got a lot of expectations about this lad, but shocked at what I've seen so far is not one of them.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: August 8, 2018, 10:25:54 am »
Just love when a player is able to slot right into the side like he has always been here. Shaqiri is one of them. He offers us serious strength in depth, and imo he should be starting along with the usual 3 in home games against 'park the bus' teams.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: August 8, 2018, 10:29:32 am »
The obvious taint for many is he came from Stoke, and why was he there in the first place, if he's that good.

Yep, but you do wonder when exactly a huge portion of our fanbase will learn with regards to this. It's fine to be sceptical about signings if you don't particularly rate the player, or struggle to see how he will fit the system perhaps, but there's certain fans out there who judge our new signings based almost entirely on which club we sign them from. We've signed Robertson and Shaqiri from relegated clubs and Mané from Southampton and all of them were widely sneered at despite being very good footballers.
« Last Edit: August 8, 2018, 10:31:18 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #753 on: August 8, 2018, 10:35:37 am »
Yep, but you do wonder when exactly a huge portion of our fanbase will learn with regards to this. It's fine to be sceptical about signings if you don't particularly rate the player, or struggle to see how he will fit the system perhaps, but there's certain fans out there who judge our new signings based almost entirely on which club we sign them from. We've signed Robertson and Shaqiri from relegated clubs and Mané from Southampton and all of them were widely sneered at despite being very good footballers.

Its the snob in us I guess  ;D

Which is sad really as Liverpool fans because if you know your salt about our history....and you should if you're a real fan, you should know that some of our very best players came from lower leagues and became superstars here.

I know the game has changed somewhat, but the point remains that we have a very good scouting system in place, and a very good manager whose hit rate has been excellent with transfers recently, including from the 'lesser' teams.

People shouldn't even question who we are signing players from at this point given what Klopp has done.

But in all honesty, even with the snobbery, the Shaq one confuses me.  He's a clearly really talented player.  Thats always been there to see, regardless of his old club.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #754 on: August 8, 2018, 10:46:27 am »
We've signed Robertson and Shaqiri from relegated clubs

And Wijnaldum. Milner was relegated with Leeds, Sturridge has been relegated too now technically. We've got a right team of losers.

I wonder what the most relegated players a team has had when winning the league...

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: August 8, 2018, 10:55:50 am »
Has this been posted yet? How to pronounce his name:

Granit’s international teammate Xherdan Shaqiri, who was born in Kosovo before emigrating to Switzerland shortly afterwards, also poses a problem. The UEFA article mentioned above gives the pronunciation of his name as “Cher-dan Scha-ki-ri”, again following the German pronunciation.

In Albanian, the name is pronounced [ʤɛɾ.dan.ʃa.ci.ɾi]. In “Cher-dan” [ˈʧɛʁ.dan], we again see the /ʧ/ standing in for Albanian /ʤ/ in the German pronunciation typical of Switzerland. Again, for German speakers who distinguish /ʤ/ and /ʧ/, [ˈʤɛʁ.dan] would be advisable. JER-dahn [ˈʤɜːɹ.dɑːn] or JAIR-dahn [ˈʤɛə̯ɹ.dɑːn] would also be better for English speakers.

The usual German pronunciation of Shaqiri is indeed “Scha-ki-ri” [ʃa.ˈkiː.ʁi], with the q having the /k/ sound as expected in German spelling. But Albanian q represents either the voiceless palatal stop [c] or the voiceless palatal affricate [c͡ç], sounds that are not present in German or English. Furthermore, in some dialects of Albanian, it might become an alveolo-palatal affricate [ʨ] or postalveolar affricate [ʧ], in the latter case merging with the sound /ʧ/ written ç in Albanian. The latter pronunciations are widespread in Kosovo, for example. So a closer approximation of the Albanian pronunciation in German would have been “Scha-tschi-ri” [ʃa.ˈʧiː.ʁi]. But it seems that the pronunciation more intuitive to German speakers stuck.

English speakers similarly expect the q in Shaqiri to represent a /k/ sound, so most commentators say sha-KEER-ee [ʃə.ˈkɪəɹ.i], which approximates the German pronunciation, whereas sha-CHEER-ee [ʃə.ˈʧɪəɹ.i] would be closer to the Albanian. Given the overwhelming popularity of the former pronunciation in English, it would feel needlessly pedantic to insist on the more Albanian-like pronunciation.

Now we know  :wave
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: August 8, 2018, 10:58:36 am »
Just call him the skill goblin and be done with it
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: August 8, 2018, 12:49:58 pm »
Just call him the skill goblin and be done with it

lol.

the lad's fucking talented and really hungry. i imagine he'll be given chances to start throughout the season.

Offline Van Halen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #758 on: August 8, 2018, 01:23:05 pm »
Der Kraftwürfel!!!!

Der Kraftwürfel!!!!

Der Kraftwürfel!!!!

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: August 8, 2018, 01:28:35 pm »
Was in row 10 of the Main last night at the Kop end, so got a really good look at Shaqiri in both the warm up and the second half - fucking hell, he is solid, looks like a mini Juggernaut from the X-Men. never realised how good he is, so good with his feet, turns really well and he put a great cross in for Sturridge.
Holy shitballs!