Author Topic: Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist caught after 40 years  (Read 3823 times)

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist caught after 40 years
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:09:51 pm »
This is incredible:

(CNN)A former California police officer has been identified as the so-called Golden State Killer believed to have committed 12 killings and at least 50 rapes across California from 1976 to 1986, authorities said Wednesday.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested after investigators matched discarded DNA from his home to evidence from some of the crimes, Ventura County District Attorney Greg Totten told reporters.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/25/us/golden-state-killer-development/index.html

Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
Re: Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist caught after 40 years
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 10:11:56 pm »
Literally just bough the book about it today :/ inconsiderate police!!!

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:11 pm »
Wow , watched a documentary on this, awesome news.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:34 pm »
Literally just bough the book about it today :/ inconsiderate police!!!

spoiler alert: He was caught.  :P
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 10:15:59 pm »
spoiler alert: He was caught.  :P

God damn it!!!!

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 10:16:20 pm »
If anyone's interested in podcasts/true crime, this 5-part series on the case (aired before today's events!) is very well done.

http://casefilepodcast.com/case-53-east-area-rapist-1976-part-1/
Oh, these sour times.

Online DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:47 pm »
Was always fascinated by this case. Great news.

https://youtu.be/jdElYnd-xMo

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 10:27:52 pm »
All very Dexter.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 11:31:17 am »
Pity Patton Oswalts late wife Michelle McNamara who championed the follow-up on this case isn't around to see this finally and hopefully come to a conclusion.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 11:40:08 am »
He was always at risk of being caught because they had his DNA. Remember reading about one serial killer from fairly recent who got caught because his son's DNA was enough of a match to flag up on the systems!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 11:46:34 am »
It's always great to hear about old cold cases being solved, especially when the person involved is still alive and able to face justice for their crimes. Hopefully this gives his surviving victims closure after all of these years.

Online Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 03:00:23 pm »
This was one of most disturbing and frightening true crime stories I've ever heard. I've listened to a good few podcasts on this story and this guy terrorised Sacramento and the surrounding areas during the 70's/80's. I was stunned and delighted to see the news that they had him. I wonder what led police to him, did a family member get arrested and they got a DNA match? great work anyway.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »
This was one of most disturbing and frightening true crime stories I've ever heard. I've listened to a good few podcasts on this story and this guy terrorised Sacramento and the surrounding areas during the 70's/80's. I was stunned and delighted to see the news that they had him. I wonder what led police to him, did a family member get arrested and they got a DNA match? great work anyway.

Maybe Trump tried to give him a cabinet job...
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 03:20:57 pm »
If anyone's interested in podcasts/true crime, this 5-part series on the case (aired before today's events!) is very well done.

http://casefilepodcast.com/case-53-east-area-rapist-1976-part-1/
Cheers.

I've saved that for future listening.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 07:53:41 pm »
Will be interesting to see how they found him and why the crimes stopped in the 80s...

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2018, 02:29:05 am »

It was through voluntary familial DNA via a genealogy site.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 10:00:55 pm »
A documentary about the Golden State Killer just starting on Investigation Discovery
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 10:05:52 pm »
Will be interesting to see how they found him and why the crimes stopped in the 80s...

Found him after some of his family used a genealogy website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43916830

Not because of this but all  members of law enforcement should have to give their DNA when they sign up imo.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 10:37:22 pm »
A documentary about the Golden State Killer just starting on Investigation Discovery

Im watching that, they were advertising it before he was caught, at the moment they are investigating whether he was a police officer, they found a discarded police badge on one of the crime scenes. Its weird working backwards. Theyd always been certain he had police/military background, due to the great skill he used and the amount of intelligence he gathered before committing his crimes. Its like watching a scene from a horror movie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:41:46 pm by The North Bank »

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 10:41:06 pm »
It was through voluntary familial DNA via a genealogy site.

I wonder if it's disclosed by DNA analysis companies like Ancestry.com that your DNA sample maybe shared with law enforcement agencies or even insurance companies.

If they don't, could there be technicality on the evidence used to link him to the crimes?
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 11:50:37 pm »
Fucking pigs
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 12:23:10 am »
Raises a lot of questions about privacy issues and these ancestry sites.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 06:46:28 pm »
yes was reading about this the other day and the thing I find odd if this is the guy is why no more crimes after 1986 that can be attributed to their MO.

Serial killers usually only stop when they die or get caught. Sometimes when they find a relationshipz assume it must have been the latter, if they have the correct person
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Online The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 09:34:07 pm »
yes was reading about this the other day and the thing I find odd if this is the guy is why no more crimes after 1986 that can be attributed to their MO.

Serial killers usually only stop when they die or get caught. Sometimes when they find a relationshipz assume it must have been the latter, if they have the correct person

As a police officer, he knew the improvement in police techniques and it was around the time DNA was starting to get used. Apparently he decided to stop because he thought DNA analysis would catch him, that’s one theory anyway.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 09:54:57 pm »

Found him after some of his family used a genealogy website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43916830

Not because of this but all  members of law enforcement should have to give their DNA when they sign up imo.

I believe they do in the UK, not sure when it started.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2018, 09:15:50 am »
Raises a lot of questions about privacy issues and these ancestry sites.

More is coming out about this and it highlights even more how modern society is just prepared to put all of its personal data out there. In this case, first an FBI lawyer checked the plan they had proposed and said it was legal. From that, the investigator from the DA's office didn't need to get a warrant and have to trawl through private files/information - he simply joined the GEDmatch website under a false profile and pseudonym, submitted the DNA they had from a crime scene from 1980 and then the company did a search, as any of us can do, to look for "lost" relatives and returned the results. From this they got some hits and then they worked through this to get their suspect.

You can imagine that right now law enforcement all over the place are submitting DNA to these companies for unsolved cases - I certainly would if I was a detective.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2018, 09:39:57 am »
More is coming out about this and it highlights even more how modern society is just prepared to put all of its personal data out there. In this case, first an FBI lawyer checked the plan they had proposed and said it was legal. From that, the investigator from the DA's office didn't need to get a warrant and have to trawl through private files/information - he simply joined the GEDmatch website under a false profile and pseudonym, submitted the DNA they had from a crime scene from 1980 and then the company did a search, as any of us can do, to look for "lost" relatives and returned the results. From this they got some hits and then they worked through this to get their suspect.

You can imagine that right now law enforcement all over the place are submitting DNA to these companies for unsolved cases - I certainly would if I was a detective.

So basically the police just set up a Covert Human Inteeligence Source to submit the crime scene DNA, no different than sending an under cover cop to infiltrate a gang.

Don't see any privacy issues as any search was targeted at a very specific target and no personal information from any innocent person should have been disclosed.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 10:03:50 am »
An excellent piece in LAMag from 2013.

http://www.lamag.com/longform/in-the-footsteps-of-a-killer/

Edit: This was written by Michelle McNamara (Patton Oswalt's wife), who has been tracking this case for long. An HBO docu series based on a book she wrote has begun production.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:40:37 am by Gerrvindh »

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 10:53:56 am »
So basically the police just set up a Covert Human Inteeligence Source to submit the crime scene DNA, no different than sending an under cover cop to infiltrate a gang.

Don't see any privacy issues as any search was targeted at a very specific target and no personal information from any innocent person should have been disclosed.

Yeah, that is it in a nutshell. Can't be a privacy issue, as gedmatch explicitly states in its terms that it is a research and comparison website, which requires the sharing of data and that users of the site should expect their data to be shared with others. It also states if you want privacy then either don't upload data or delete and data if you already have uploaded it. It's not infringed the suspects privacy as none of his data was involved, it was a lead that the connection to a family member of the DNA that was investigated. Whoever came up with the idea should be congratulated for their thinking.

https://www.gedmatch.com/policy.php