Author Topic: Atheism  (Read 183721 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Atheism
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2017, 08:17:14 pm »
No. They're religious fundamentalists. They are quite capable of arriving at zealotry and sectarian violence on their own.

History has shown many zealots in all religions before them , which is why i go for a way of living my life as i wish rather being told how to live it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2017, 08:18:19 pm »
Buddhism isn't a religion...
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2017, 08:19:33 pm »
If (and that's a very big if of truly galactic proportions..) I was ever to succumb to a religion, I think Jainism has its attractions.

According to Jainism, the universe was never created, nor will it ever cease to exist. It is independent and self-sufficient, does not require a creator, nor any superior power to govern it, nor a judge nor destroyer.[167][237] In this belief, it is distinct from the monotheistic Abrahamic religions, it is similar to Buddhism, and it shares premises with the non-theistic part of the spectrum of diverse beliefs found in different traditions within Hindu philosophy and distinct from theistic Hindu traditions.[238]

Jain texts reject the idea of a creator, ruler or destroyer God and postulate an eternal universe. However, Jainism believes in the world of gods and hell beings who are born and who die to be reborn like living beings in the earthly realm of existence.[239][240] Those souls who live in the body of a god, do so because of their positive karma. They have metamorphic body, that is they are believed in Jain thought to be able to change their body at will. The gods live a life of happiness, fun and frolic, whose wishes are automatically fulfilled.[241] They also possess a more transcendent knowledge about material things and can anticipate events in the human realms.[241] However, once their past karmic merit is exhausted, the souls leave the "god body" and are reborn again as humans, animals or other beings

It's the non-violence to all living things that I find most attractive.

The last day involves a focused prayer/meditation session known as Samvatsari. Jains consider this as a day of atonement, granting forgiveness to others, seeking forgiveness from all living beings, physically or mentally asking for forgiveness, resolving to treat everyone in the world as friends.[110] Forgiveness is asked by saying Micchami Dukkadam or Khamat Khamna to others, which means, "If I have offended you in any way, knowingly or unknowingly, in thought, word or action, then I seek your forgiveness." The literal meaning of Paryushana is "abiding" or "coming together"

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2017, 08:22:19 pm »
Pretty much the only religion where you'd like a fundamentalist to be your neighbour.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2017, 08:39:28 pm »
If more people ate cheese and ketchup on toast, we'd all be happy.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2017, 08:39:52 pm »
:lmao
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2017, 08:40:33 pm »
If more people ate cheese and ketchup on toast, we'd all be happy.

Ketchup on toast sounds awful. But I respect your right to eat what you like.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2017, 08:41:11 pm »
The world would certainly become a happier place if more people ate bacon.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »

Bacon is a waste of sausages
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2017, 08:44:11 pm »
Bacon is a waste of sausages
Oh yes yes yes, so so the right answer..
W

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2017, 08:45:58 pm »

Probably true in the short term. But then we'd all die from the climate changes an extra 100 billion pigs will generate to feed us all.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2017, 08:49:22 pm »
Oh yes yes yes, so so the right answer..

Neither have much on a slow-roasted pork belly.

I have a vision of the Middle East in a hundred years time with millions of people barbecuing pork ribs every Friday.

They say I'm a dreamer......
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Conocinico

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cameras in your food, dude.
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2017, 09:14:20 pm »
"If I have offended you in any way, knowingly or unknowingly, in thought, word or action, then I seek your forgiveness."

They sound like a bunch of pussies.
This sentence is not provable

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2017, 09:29:34 pm »
If (and that's a very big if of truly galactic proportions..) I was ever to succumb to a religion, I think Jainism has its attractions.

According to Jainism, the universe was never created, nor will it ever cease to exist. It is independent and self-sufficient, does not require a creator, nor any superior power to govern it, nor a judge nor destroyer.[167][237] In this belief, it is distinct from the monotheistic Abrahamic religions, it is similar to Buddhism, and it shares premises with the non-theistic part of the spectrum of diverse beliefs found in different traditions within Hindu philosophy and distinct from theistic Hindu traditions.[238]

Jain texts reject the idea of a creator, ruler or destroyer God and postulate an eternal universe. However, Jainism believes in the world of gods and hell beings who are born and who die to be reborn like living beings in the earthly realm of existence.[239][240] Those souls who live in the body of a god, do so because of their positive karma. They have metamorphic body, that is they are believed in Jain thought to be able to change their body at will. The gods live a life of happiness, fun and frolic, whose wishes are automatically fulfilled.[241] They also possess a more transcendent knowledge about material things and can anticipate events in the human realms.[241] However, once their past karmic merit is exhausted, the souls leave the "god body" and are reborn again as humans, animals or other beings

It's the non-violence to all living things that I find most attractive.

The last day involves a focused prayer/meditation session known as Samvatsari. Jains consider this as a day of atonement, granting forgiveness to others, seeking forgiveness from all living beings, physically or mentally asking for forgiveness, resolving to treat everyone in the world as friends.[110] Forgiveness is asked by saying Micchami Dukkadam or Khamat Khamna to others, which means, "If I have offended you in any way, knowingly or unknowingly, in thought, word or action, then I seek your forgiveness." The literal meaning of Paryushana is "abiding" or "coming together"

Was sat at the back of an Emirates flight to Chennai a few years back. They'd run out of all the standard meal trays and only had Jain left. Being a curious sort, I took it on anyway.

The meal consisted of a bowl of Okra, a tub of water and a sloppy wheat custard and was the single most hideous meal I've ever eaten - and bear in mind I had a chocolate pudding in Athens in 1995 that was blended with cigarette butts. And for that reason, I'm out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 09:31:09 pm by Lfsea »

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2017, 10:22:34 pm »
A friend of mine from a Jain family had a go at me once because I swatted a fly away on a balmy night in her apartment, all religion has the potential to do mad things to people.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2017, 10:36:39 pm »

Which is why I prefer it, Religions > wars, persecution, unhealthy doctrines, bigotry, I could go on but you get the gist! Just my opinion and not putting down people who are religious ! Oh and never mind Sausages Black Puddings are king.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2017, 10:42:21 pm »

Which is why I prefer it, Religions > wars, persecution, unhealthy doctrines, bigotry, I could go on but you get the gist! Just my opinion and not putting down people who are religious ! Oh and never mind Sausages Black Puddings are king.
Neither are Hinduism or Sikhism ... our western (west ish anyway) concept of monotheistic religion was somewhat shoehorned on to eastern practices to help us understand them, they're not really a suitable fit though, but I guess we're stuck with them now.
W

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2017, 11:27:37 pm »
.....The meal consisted of a bowl of Okra, a tub of water and a sloppy wheat custard and was the single most hideous meal I've ever eaten...

You sort of get used to being served that level of haute cuisine after a while when your wife is Scottish.... ;)

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2017, 09:42:45 am »
We'll have achieved some kind of brilliant world when everyone can think what they like without getting shite about it from someone else.
I believe the poster below could benefit from your tolerant example:
If you go to the US at the moment given this shithouse in charge then you're a c*nt. Simple as.

Can't see it ever happening. The Atheists seem as hell bent on intolerance as the Religious.
Clearly. Though I think the inability to see one's own faults and to "practice what you preach" on the part of the religious might also play a part.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2017, 09:54:24 am »
I believe the poster below could benefit from your tolerant example:Clearly. Though I think the inability to see one's own faults and to "practice what you preach" on the part of the religious might also play a part.

;D

That post was the first thing I thought of on reading Andy's dreams of a tolerant world!

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2017, 10:08:14 am »
No. They're religious fundamentalists.
You ducked the question last time I asked, so again, what is a Buddhist fundamentalist? To me, it's an oxymoron. A fundamental of Buddhism is to Follow the Middle Path, ie moderation
They are quite capable of arriving at zealotry and sectarian violence on their own.
Not sure what you mean here
Buddhists think it is. Don't we get a say in this?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2017, 11:04:55 am »
You ducked the question last time I asked, so again, what is a Buddhist fundamentalist? To me, it's an oxymoron. A fundamental of Buddhism is to Follow the Middle Path, ie moderation

And a fundamental tenet of Christianity is love thy neighbour. They're not very good at it, though.

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2017, 11:14:11 am »
And a fundamental tenet of Christianity is love thy neighbour. They're not very good at it, though.
I'd agree. Turning the other cheek seems to be in short supply, historically at least.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2017, 11:20:14 am »
I'd agree. Turning the other cheek seems to be in short supply, historically at least.

There are occasions when it's stupid and self-defeating to turn the other cheek. Would you agree?

Online zero zero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2017, 11:38:44 am »
There are occasions when it's stupid and self-defeating to turn the other cheek. Would you agree?
Of course. There would be no Buddhist majority countries left in the world had they religiously stuck to the 1st precept: «pānātipātā veramaṇi sikkhāpadaṃ samādhiyāmi.»

I will abstain from being harmful to living beings.

My point was that those religions that possess the concept of holy wars find it hard to say that turning the other cheek, or peace, for that matter central to their belief system.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #185 on: August 24, 2017, 09:10:35 am »
There's that weird hypocrisy in the bible where it encourages both turning the other cheek and bloody vengeance.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #186 on: August 24, 2017, 09:43:41 am »
There's that weird hypocrisy in the bible where it encourages both turning the other cheek and bloody vengeance.

It's been a long time, but I recall a distinction always being made in Catholicism between the Old (ie bloody vengeance and a tendancy to smitin' and a smotin') and the New (turn the other cheek) testaments.

Can't quite remember the finer details and it may well just have been the teachers we had at the time, it was the early to mid 60's when things were in a state of flux in Catholicism worldwide, but there was a typical Catholic teachings convenience (maybe just a reticence on the part of our particular teachers) to try and avoid the details and contradictary implications of the older and somewhat more awkward stuff.

We were certainly taught that the important stuff was more the teachings of Jesus rather than the old Testament, which was always to be treated in a more circumspect way, and by the time we were 11 or so, increasingly taught or it was suggested that the Old was certainly not to be regarded as either historically accurate or a reliable indicator of the word of God.

We only really covered just a very few highly selective bits of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Joshua and Judges from the Old, enough to get by in a shallow Q&A/University Challenge/crossword answer type level, whereas most of the New was delved into in some detail and discussed.

I expect others may well have had different experiences though, largely dependent on the flavour of Catholicism and the evangelical fervour of their particular teachers or school...

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #187 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:03 am »
It's been a long time, but I recall a distinction always being made in Catholicism between the Old (ie bloody vengeance and a tendancy to smitin' and a smotin') and the New (turn the other cheek) testaments.

Can't quite remember the finer details and it may well just have been the teachers we had at the time, it was the early to mid 60's when things were in a state of flux in Catholicism worldwide, but there was a typical Catholic teachings convenience (maybe just a reticence on the part of our particular teachers) to try and avoid the details and contradictary implications of the older and somewhat more awkward stuff.

We were certainly taught that the important stuff was more the teachings of Jesus rather than the old Testament, which was always to be treated in a more circumspect way, and by the time we were 11 or so, increasingly taught or it was suggested that the Old was certainly not to be regarded as either historically accurate or a reliable indicator of the word of God.

We only really covered just a very few highly selective bits of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Joshua and Judges from the Old, enough to get by in a shallow Q&A/University Challenge/crossword answer type level, whereas most of the New was delved into in some detail and discussed.

I expect others may well have had different experiences though, largely dependent on the flavour of Catholicism and the evangelical fervour of their particular teachers or school...

I went to a Christian Brothers school in the 1960s and some of the older Irish brothers were very much in the Father Jack school of Old Testament smitin' and smitin', particularly the young souls in their care.

However the younger brothers, probably influenced by a South American brother, were more concerned with how the New Testament fitted in with liberation theology.

Pretty radical but that was 1967 for you.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #188 on: August 24, 2017, 09:53:50 am »

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: August 24, 2017, 10:06:58 am »

AFAIK Christianity starts with the teachings of Jesus, which isn't really until the NT. The OT is shared theological history with Judaism. I think one of the central pieces for Jesus to set out his new teachings is in the Sermon on the Mount, where he re-interprets much of the older stuff. However, its important to realise that they didn't discard the old stuff, it is still there.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2017, 10:09:18 am »
..... However, its important to realise that they didn't discard the old stuff, it is still there.

It could be claimed that it made conversion to the 'New' faith easier.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2017, 10:13:38 am »
SEC?

Yes.

I still remember some of the school song but cannot recall Pythagoras's theorem to save my life.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: August 24, 2017, 10:18:17 am »
It could be claimed that it made conversion to the 'New' faith easier.

Historically, that made sense - it was what everyone knew and believed in, so it was needed as a reference point. The question is why it is still there today.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #193 on: August 24, 2017, 10:23:08 am »

Snap...
I'm guessing you must have been referring to Chincotta re Liberation theory?
He was very young during my time there. Never taught by him, I only used to only see him in the stationary room handing out Jotters etc but he seemed very different to the older Brothers.
I was in the Coffey and Mao era.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: August 24, 2017, 10:24:38 am »
Snap...
I'm guessing you must have been referring to Chincotta re Liberation theory?
He was very young during my time there. Never taught by him, I only used to only see him in the stationary room handing out Jotters etc but he seemed very different to the older Brothers.
I was in the Coffey and Mao era.

Same here.

Brother Beattie, aka Rasputin, was deputy head.

Mao did look like Mao.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
Re: Athiesm
« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2017, 10:30:58 am »
I'm atheist, and I'm immoral ;D I guess the bible-bashers have got me there!
:lmao
What time do we burn you at the stake?

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2017, 01:11:06 pm »
Christians usually tend to place their focus on the NT, but the NT doesn't make any sense without the OT, original sin being an example.

If you ask most Christians if they follow the 10 commandments they will usually say yes, that is from the OT. There is the usually cherry picking that goes on with any religion in an attempt to discard the particularly awful bits.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2017, 01:34:47 pm »
There is the usually cherry picking that goes on with any religion in an attempt to discard the particularly awful bits.

Bring on the cherry picking.  So long as the cherry pickers acknowledge that this is what they are doing we can begin to progress and make the world a safer place.

I know that this is a hard thing to ask of most devout believers because it involves them having to acknowledge that parts of their beloved scripture are rubbish, violent, misogynistic, racist, plainly anachronistic and that they need to be jettisoned. That very process (i.e. Editing) tends, by its very nature, to cast doubt on the divine and immaculate nature of their holy books. But it is necessary if religion, especially monotheistic religion, is to be de-fanged and become "safe" in the modern world.

By contrast all attempts to prove that there is a single essence (however inscrutable) to the Bible or the Koran are futile and dangerous - dangerous because they are bound to lead to violent clashes between sects about who has got the interpretation right. And dangerous because men who believe all wisdom can be contained in a single book become so full of self-congratulation (which is what extreme piety is) that they nearly always turn violent, or justify violence. History shows that to be true.

Start cherry picking I say to the believers. And, more importantly, admit you're doing it.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2017, 02:05:41 pm »
Bring on the cherry picking.  So long as the cherry pickers acknowledge that this is what they are doing

Fat chance. They'll come up with concepts like exegesis and hermeneutics, and say it's all about context, as if words had a different meaning if you look at them extra closely.

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2017, 03:14:51 pm »
Fat chance. They'll come up with concepts like exegesis and hermeneutics, and say it's all about context, as if words had a different meaning if you look at them extra closely.

Well one could argue that the recent history of Christianity - at least in democratic countries - has been to cherry-pick like mad. As a consequence you see less warlike leaders of the Church of England than you did in days of yore. And it's doubtful that the Inquisition will be back (although perhaps one should always expect it). Christianity may be a fabrication from beginning to end but once its ideas are 'cherry picked' you can certainly make something decent and civilised out of it, even if what remains is obvious and banal.

Though I know what you mean about the exegesis etc. My favourite one at the moment was one offered up by a chap in these pages not so long ago when he was defending the Koranic passage that allows (encourages?) husbands to beat wives with sticks - sometimes pre-emptively. He said it wasn't really "sticks" but "long grasses". "Bamboo?" someone asked. "Oh, no, more wavy, slender, feathery grasses than bamboo". One was left with the feeling that this Koranic 'punishment' was actually more of a loving, even semi-erotic, uxorious ritual.  He, of course, had read the text with greater 'scholarship' than the thousands of Muslim wife-beaters who read the same words but lacked 'exegesis'.

Whereas the cherry-picker would just scrap that verse altogether as medieval and plainly not appropriate for a more enlightened and less savage age as the one that gave birth to Mohammed.