Poll

Well - scroungers or the bestest peoplers EVER! You decide!

Keep them (I Live in the North of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or Cornwall)
64 (13.3%)
Keep them (I live elsewhere in the UK - probably the South or Midlands)
39 (8.1%)
Bin them  (I Live in the North of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales or Cornwall)
151 (31.5%)
Bin them  (I live elsewhere in the UK - probably the South or Midlands)
83 (17.3%)
Keep them (I'm not from the UK)
26 (5.4%)
Bin them (I'm not from the UK)
76 (15.8%)
More cheese, Gromit?
41 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 480

Author Topic: Should the UK keep the Royal Family?  (Read 55372 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: Should the UK keep the Royal Family?
« Reply #200 on: April 14, 2018, 10:31:16 pm »
I think the best reason for keeping the Royal Family is without them we would have a presidency i expect , and we only need to look at how that has turned out for the US right now.

The country makes a lot of money off them as well in souvenirs and tourists who want to experience our monarchy system mostly from the US ironically.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 15, 2018, 05:21:03 pm »
I think the best reason for keeping the Royal Family is without them we would have a presidency i expect , and we only need to look at how that has turned out for the US right now.

The country makes a lot of money off them as well in souvenirs and tourists who want to experience our monarchy system mostly from the US ironically.

Having a president doesn't mean we end up like the USA. Ireland has a largely ceremonial president who is a fine ambassador to the country. Israel and Italy are the same, I think.  A ceremonial president would be a massive step up from the monarchy - cheaper to maintain and likely more representative of the country.

The country would continue to make money off the royal estates if there was no monarchy.  Maybe even more as they'd be able to open Buck Pal to the public. France doesn't need a monarchy to make money from their royal estates.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2018, 06:36:22 am »
All the usual reasons people use for keeping the monarchy are shit. Imagine if we did not have a monarchy, but it was suggested that we should create one and the arguments used were the very same used to keep the present monarchy. It wouldn't happen, would it!? It - rightfully - would be thought improper and inequitable.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline L8Craig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2018, 11:41:55 am »
They’re part of the UK imo.
I think they are more positive than negative. The talk about the cost of them is a bit pointless in my eyes as if the royals were removed then the money would just go somewhere else that didn’t improve the working man and woman’s life.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2018, 07:41:26 pm »
No. And the isnt a single valid reason to do so.
And in short, I was afraid

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 17, 2018, 01:51:12 am »
They’re part of the UK imo.
I think they are more positive than negative. The talk about the cost of them is a bit pointless in my eyes as if the royals were removed then the money would just go somewhere else that didn’t improve the working man and woman’s life.

What do they do that's positive that an elected ceremonial president coukdnt? Genuinely curious.

From Edward 8th's passing secrets to the nazis to the queen's cayman islands offshore accounts, they're a rotten bunch. They represent a part of Britain that should be consigned to history with other relics. I can't believe that we still prop up some by bloodline who claim to be 'appointees of God' in the 21st century. They frolic and fuck their way around the world in subsidised luxury when 'commoners' go to food banks. It disgusts me.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
« Reply #206 on: April 18, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »
Fuck them all off.

Queen visiting hospitals and homeless etc all while walking around with a broach costing about 2 mil.

And as if they all didnt know loads of people they knighted were pedo's.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:38:25 pm by Spezialo »

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 18, 2018, 04:51:34 pm »
How can we justify a system that gives out a message that our society will always be skewed toward hereditary privilege? For the ideological reason of empowering ordinary people, of enforcing the view that what you put in matters, that you cannot simply wield executive power or societal influence because of who your father/mother was, we need to get rid.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 18, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »
The British are obsessed with class. They absolutely love the idea of rule and having masters that look down, whilst they can look up and admire. The people of this country need the Royal Family.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: April 18, 2018, 11:35:38 pm »
Versailles brings more money in than the Royal family does. Not saying we should guillotine them like, just give them a half decent council house and open the castles and Buckingham Palace completely to the public. They and the extended family can work as guides if they want a cushy job they'd be able to do.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 19, 2018, 12:51:20 am »
Not saying we should guillotine them like, just give them a half decent council house and open the castles and Buckingham Palace completely to the public. They and the extended family can work as guides if they want a cushy job they'd be able to do.

Ha ha - that would be great

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2018, 09:24:23 am »

Robespierre Was Right.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2018, 12:24:54 pm »

Ha ha - that would be great

Like National Trust wardens. A feller lives in the old McCartney gaff off Mather Ave.
Just see Charlie doing that
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2018, 01:28:44 pm »
The British are obsessed with class. They absolutely love the idea of rule and having masters that look down, whilst they can look up and admire. The people of this country need the Royal Family.

Nailed it.

I would add the obsession with celebrity in this country as a factor, making the royals a slightly high brow version of the Kardashians.

One good thing about the royal family is the insight they give you to people - anyone obsessing or frankly even showing the slightest interest in things like a wedding gets instant negative judgement from me.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: April 19, 2018, 05:09:04 pm »
Like National Trust wardens. A feller lives in the old McCartney gaff off Mather Ave.
Just see Charlie doing that
He can look after the shoes on the bouncy castle.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #215 on: April 19, 2018, 05:22:25 pm »
We should keep them - for the shirt sales alone
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #216 on: April 19, 2018, 05:43:10 pm »
He can look after the shoes on the bouncy castle.

Just seen the news that Charlie’s mum has told the Commonwealth Leaders she wants Charlie to be their leader when she goes.
Colonial exceptionalism lives on
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: April 20, 2018, 12:48:07 am »
Just seen the news that Charlie’s mum has told the Commonwealth Leaders she wants Charlie to be their leader when she goes.
Colonial exceptionalism lives on

It’s a case or survival for her family. It’s inevitable as time passes that each country will want to have their own elected head of state. Even the U.K. despite the superb PR job the BBC are doing.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: April 20, 2018, 07:58:04 am »
It’s a case or survival for her family. It’s inevitable as time passes that each country will want to have their own elected head of state. Even the U.K. despite the superb PR job the BBC are doing.

What is the evidence that this is the case?

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 20, 2018, 10:56:47 am »
What is the evidence that this is the case?

I assume he's talking about the increase in Republican sentiment in Commonwealth countries over the years. More than half of the countries have become Republics since 1949 - many by referenda. Ireland was excluded from the commonwealth because it was a Republic but they've had to relax the rules over the years to keep it together.

Admittedly, the polls in the UK show no real appetite for the UK becoming a Republic.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:03:05 am by thejbs »

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: April 20, 2018, 11:00:02 am »

I've always found it crazy the deference that many impoverished working-class Protestants in Northern Ireland have to the monarchy. It extends to other figures too. They vote mainly for the DUP and its upper-middle-class representatives.  The nationalist working class communities, by comparison, have parties made up of more working class people.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #221 on: April 20, 2018, 11:00:26 am »
One good thing about the royal family is the insight they give you to people - anyone obsessing or frankly even showing the slightest interest in things like a wedding gets instant negative judgement from me.

There is that!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #222 on: April 20, 2018, 11:07:37 am »
Liz has been fairly benign, kept out of politics and looked to stay out of controversy. Much as a despise the principle of a royal family, I can't bring myself to hate her.

Her offspring are utter shitwipes, though. And once that complete bellend Charlie gets his self-important mitts on the crown, I think he'll be sticking his nose in all sorts of political stuff.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2018, 04:21:33 pm »
I assume he's talking about the increase in Republican sentiment in Commonwealth countries over the years. More than half of the countries have become Republics since 1949 - many by referenda. Ireland was excluded from the commonwealth because it was a Republic but they've had to relax the rules over the years to keep it together.

Admittedly, the polls in the UK show no real appetite for the UK becoming a Republic.

Not that surprising when all of the TV news outlets (bar Channel 4 News to an extent) are so sycophantic towards the monarchy, not to mention the right-wing papers.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 23, 2018, 10:23:59 am »
Not that surprising when all of the TV news outlets (bar Channel 4 News to an extent) are so sycophantic towards the monarchy, not to mention the right-wing papers.

It's much to do with how they're seen as an integral part of what it means to be 'British.'  Most people will have the attitude of 'there's no harm in them' without actually thinking much about it.  Even a cursory analysis would leave any sane person to be absolutely disgusted by it.

From BBC news this morning:

The birth will be announced with an email to the press and a celebratory tweet posted on the Kensington Palace Twitter feed.

There will also be the traditional custom of placing a framed paper proclamation on an ornate gold stand behind the iron railings of Buckingham Palace.

Ornate gold stand behind iron railings. There's a metaphor for royalty if you ever needed one.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #225 on: April 23, 2018, 10:26:19 am »
Will there be a Channel 5 documentary about people who live off the state/taxpayers money who keep having kids?

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: April 23, 2018, 02:58:12 pm »
Will there be a Channel 5 documentary about people who live off the state/taxpayers money who keep having kids?

Markle's an immigrant too, coming over here and being given our empty homes.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: April 23, 2018, 06:06:59 pm »
I know it's not a novel opinion but there's no need to have so much news attention on this, with interviews and historical experts and panelists and so much TV discussion. And BBC are saying "it's clear from the crowds here that interest in a royal baby hasn't waned". Closest thing to North Korea's worship of Kim Jong-un we have. The real overwhelming opinion is that nobody gives a fuck and please get this boring shit off the news after you've mentioned in in passing, thanks
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: April 23, 2018, 06:11:08 pm »
I know it's not a novel opinion but there's no need to have so much news attention on this, with interviews and historical experts and panelists and so much TV discussion. And BBC are saying "it's clear from the crowds here that interest in a royal baby hasn't waned". Closest thing to North Korea's worship of Kim Jong-un we have. The real overwhelming opinion is that nobody gives a fuck and please get this boring shit off the news after you've mentioned in in passing, thanks

People do give a shit and people of all ages like having a monarchy.

But then that is the opinion of the Great British public, who we have seen are moronic, in the majority.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #229 on: April 23, 2018, 06:26:10 pm »

Agree. I’m at a loss to understand why the Beeb always give Royal news such prominence. I found myself just now shouting ”get a life you silly cow!” at one of the elderly women gushing over the birth of the new royal baby.

And yet... as much as I dislike each of the Queen’s awful foursome, I cannot dislike Harry. He seems like a decent human being without his father’s vanity and sense of entitlement.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #230 on: April 23, 2018, 10:07:43 pm »
This argument has 'raged' on for years. Should the UK embrace their past and the history of the Kings and Queens and Royalty? Or should they step forward into a modern era without the outdated system of 'Royalty'?

I hope they christen the new sprog Andrew
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2018, 05:57:09 am »
Don’t they actually get their income through private estates and income streams rather than actual taxpayer money? I know people like the line that they are net contributors and make more money for the U.K. than take out but I’m not sure how that is measured. The tugging of the forelocks and deference to your betters is the worst aspect of it. I don’t actually mind Harry and William, you can tell they seem to find the whole thing ridiculous aswell.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #232 on: April 25, 2018, 07:50:06 am »
Don’t they actually get their income through private estates and income streams rather than actual taxpayer money? I know people like the line that they are net contributors and make more money for the U.K. than take out but I’m not sure how that is measured. The tugging of the forelocks and deference to your betters is the worst aspect of it. I don’t actually mind Harry and William, you can tell they seem to find the whole thing ridiculous aswell.

We, the public pay them a hefty stipend, known as the civil list. This is so that they will continue to cut ribbons and turn up as extras in parades. Their own money is vast and, as we discovered from the Panama papers, is boxed off so that they ‘pay’ tax on some of it as a token

Online KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #233 on: April 25, 2018, 09:37:14 am »
I hope they christen the new sprog Andrew

Best suggestion is saw on Twitter: "Host Body 3"
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2018, 04:10:14 pm »
My instinct just knows they are all a massive massive bunch of elitist, leaching c*nts.

That’s my insightful contribution. You’re welcome 👍🏼
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2018, 02:22:28 pm »
All the talk of today being a glorious day for the black community sits uneasily with me. 

The idea that someone can be superior to another at the point of birth is the same kind of thinking that led to slavery and continues to give us racism.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 20, 2018, 05:34:54 pm »
All the talk of today being a glorious day for the black community sits uneasily with me. 

The idea that someone can be superior to another at the point of birth is the same kind of thinking that led to slavery and continues to give us racism.

its because a black woman is now in the royal family and she will almost certainly have children with said royal so like with many families the royals will be mixed race, something that I don’t think many thought would ever happen which is why they’re happy

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: May 20, 2018, 06:24:37 pm »
Do people really think getting rid of the Royal Family will bring about a better world.
Theres so much hate and anger in this country today and it's not just aimed at the Royal Family. lets get rid of the House of Lords. lets get rid of the EU. lets get rid of all these foreigners. lets rip up the Capitalist society etc etc.
Nothing will change until we get rid of selfish incompetent politicians and a right wing press all out to please their Billionaire bosses. we will still have poverty and homelessness even if we do get rid of all the above. in fact it would probably get worse.
We need a bit of stability in this country right now, this era is a nightmare.
Am not going to sing a chorus of all you need is love but the black preacher said it all yesterday. a bit of love and compassion by the whole country would bring about massive change, never going to happen of course,the country is crying out for massive change and it's all fueled by anger and ignorance, that change will be make this a far worse place.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #238 on: May 20, 2018, 06:36:35 pm »

Heh! Just seeing all those people of colour invading the Royal Family is immensely satisfying to a person of colour.

:lmao - the queens face when that Preacher was doing his thing

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: May 20, 2018, 06:44:07 pm »
Do people really think getting rid of the Royal Family will bring about a better world.
Theres so much hate and anger in this country today and it's not just aimed at the Royal Family. lets get rid of the House of Lords. lets get rid of the EU. lets get rid of all these foreigners. lets rip up the Capitalist society etc etc.
Nothing will change until we get rid of selfish incompetent politicians and a right wing press all out to please their Billionaire bosses. we will still have poverty and homelessness even if we do get rid of all the above. in fact it would probably get worse.
We need a bit of stability in this country right now, this era is a nightmare.
Am not going to sing a chorus of all you need is love but the black preacher said it all yesterday. a bit of love and compassion by the whole country would bring about massive change, never going to happen of course,the country is crying out for massive change and it's all fueled by anger and ignorance, that change will be make this a far worse place.
yup mostly bitter losers in life who seem to really hate the royals/lords etc, personally when it comes to prioritising things in this country that need to change they barely register as there are far more important things to sort out before you even consider them