Author Topic: The United Arab Emirates tortures in Yemen and the US interrogates the victims  (Read 1856 times)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
https://apnews.com/4925f7f0fa654853b...e-with-torture

The AP documented at least 18 clandestine lockups across southern Yemen run by the United Arab Emirates or by Yemeni forces created and trained by the Gulf nation, drawing on accounts from former detainees, families of prisoners, civil rights lawyers and Yemeni military officials. All are either hidden or off limits to Yemen’s government, which has been getting Emirati help in its civil war with rebels over the last two years.

The secret prisons are inside military bases, ports, an airport, private villas and even a nightclub. Some detainees have been flown to an Emirati base across the Red Sea in Eritrea, according to Yemen Interior Minister Hussein Arab and others.

Several U.S. defense officials, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss the topic, told AP that American forces do participate in interrogations of detainees at locations in Yemen, provide questions for others to ask, and receive transcripts of interrogations from Emirati allies. They said U.S. senior military leaders were aware of allegations of torture at the prisons in Yemen, looked into them, but were satisfied that there had not been any abuse when U.S. forces were present. 

When will the time come that the US asks itself a simple question:

https://m.imgur.com/8ubGFLt?r

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They were the baddies in S.America,baddies in Asia and they are the baddies in the middle east.You would need to go back 30+ years to find a time that people in the M.E were not being killed due to American influence & yet they/we wonder why the youth of Islam is so easilly talked into terrorism.

You can guarantee that Americans would resort to terrorism were they raised in the same circumstances.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Link doesn't work.

Amnesty urges probe into report of UAE torture in Yemen

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/amnesty-urges-probe-claims-uae-torture-yemen-170622192753316.html

This is great fro the UAE. They set up the camps and do the torturing... and people fall over themselves to blame the US. Don't Arabs get held accountable for their actions like the rest of the world?
They were the baddies in S.America,baddies in Asia and they are the baddies in the middle east.You would need to go back 30+ years to find a time that people in the M.E were not being killed due to American influence & yet they/we wonder why the youth of Islam is so easilly talked into terrorism.

You can guarantee that Americans would resort to terrorism were they raised in the same circumstances.
Are you justifying terrorism?

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Link doesn't work.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/06/amnesty-urges-probe-claims-uae-torture-yemen-170622192753316.html

This is great fro the UAE. They set up the camps and do the torturing... and people fall over themselves to blame the US. Don't Arabs get held accountable for their actions like the rest of the world?Are you justifying terrorism?

Not exactly but I often muse what people in the UK would do were we in the exact same situation.There are people from the age of 28 and all the way down that have known nothing but war,our soldiers suffer from ptsd so I hate to even imagine just how messed up mentally some of these people are.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not exactly but I often muse what people in the UK would do were we in the exact same situation.There are people from the age of 28 and all the way down that have known nothing but war,our soldiers suffer from ptsd so I hate to even imagine just how messed up mentally some of these people are.

Except that most of the people committing terrorist acts in the West have not experienced any of that, and have actuallly been born and raised in those countries they are attacking.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Except that most of the people committing terrorist acts in the West have not experienced any of that, and have actuallly been born and raised in those countries they are attacking.

And that is where it falls down isn't it.

Online zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not exactly but I often muse what people in the UK would do were we in the exact same situation.
I was, as a civilian, on the receiving end of a sustained suicide-bombing campaign, so it's not the kind of thing I muse about. In my opinion, nothing justifies terrorism, where a group specifically targets civilians as a means of conducting political discourse and to further their political aims. Guerrilla warfare against military targets is one thing, but bombing school children stuck in traffic, claymore-mining buses transporting poor mothers and their toddlers to free health clinics, leaving bombs in commuter buses in children's school bags, or car bombing markets or places of worship is entirely different.

As for the "baddies" in Asia, I'd say that was the Khmer Rouge, but some self-flagellators in the West, especially on the Left, don't remember that sort of thing when it's so easy to blame the US (not saying you're one of them). In this case, why should we be surprised when a hereditary monarchy wields the absolute power it holds as a right and fails to respect human rights.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
Link doesn't work.

This is great fro the UAE. They set up the camps and do the torturing... and people fall over themselves to blame the US. Don't Arabs get held accountable for their actions like the rest of the world?Are you justifying terrorism?

You tend to hold democracies to a higher standard than dictators and kings.

It's not about blaming the US. It's the US knows it happens and likely is glad it happens as long as they don't need to get there hands dirty.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
And that is where it falls down isn't it.

Not completely.  Many are one generation removed from those countries and can see and hear what is happening via the net.  This is then reinforced by resentment and discrimination they feel in the West.  When the President of the USA can call for people of your faith to be 'banned' and 'profiled' it feeds the antipathy.

It was (state-sanctioned) discrimination that led to many young people in NI turning to terror...

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
Syria used to interrogate for the US and others post 911. Plus ca change...
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

When will the time come that the US asks itself a simple question:

https://m.imgur.com/8ubGFLt?r

You got a typo with your acronyms mate. It's UAE, not US.

People like puroresu_kid do great things for despots, and actively works on the PR image for torturers! The news alleges UAE tortured, and yet he immediately diminishes their responsibility.

It's almost like he has a diminished view of the capabilities of countries in the Gulf, as if they're too thick to make their own decisions - that must explain whey they're doing it. And it must be that the US told them to, that's the only explanation.

You tend to hold democracies to a higher standard than dictators and kings.

It's not about blaming the US. It's the US knows it happens and likely is glad it happens as long as they don't need to get there hands dirty.

And you're also an unexpected proponent of American exceptionalism!

Did you really intend to build up the US, and downplay the capacity of the Gulf to make rational decisions without the input of the US in your posts?

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan

It probs helps that their holy book stipulates it too

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It probs helps that their holy book stipulates it too

As does the bible,fact is you can find confirmation is those medieval texts to excuse most perverse behaviours.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
I live in London and I'm not concerned about a terrorist attack from someone who invokes the Bible as their motive at the moment.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 09:03:04 pm by Can I get J_Kopite again please? »