Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1410048 times)

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3560 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:05 am »
Looks like they blinked first.  Who'd a thought Peps juggenaught would be scared of lil old Liverpool!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think that's a big thing. Who blinked first. Whilst then beating us was obviously huge for them, they were desperate for us to then wobble and go on to drop more points.

In the 2 subsequent games we haven't dropped points, we've bounced back pretty well (albeit the Palace game wasn't ideal) and so that'll hurt them a bit.

We can't get complacent though. There's still time for more twists and turns this season. We must remain 100% focused at all times.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:11:47 am by Robert_B »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3561 on: January 30, 2019, 08:07:16 am »
When Manu was 8 points ahead of City going into April did City have games in hand?

Don’t think they did. They did still have United to play though so they knew they could get 3 points back if they won that one. United lost to Wigan and had that 4-4 with Everyon which is where the other 5 points were dropped.

It did turn around very quickly but the fact they sill had to play each other definitely helped them I think.

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #3562 on: January 30, 2019, 08:17:30 am »
I was very hopeful of an upset and even though Newcastle couldn't possibly start worse, ManCity's fatigue really began to tell. It was their 19th game in 60 days, they will have three more games to play against much better opposition within 11 days. I think the biggest concern for them must be Fernandinho. Had a proper shocker for Newcastle's second goal and looks legged. He is so important to them and there is nobody who can take up his role for the three upcoming games where they will face rapid counterattacks that need to be broken up early. If he starts all three upcoming games, I really think he is bound to get some sort of injury. If he doesn't, I can't see them keeping clean sheets, let alone not conceding more than twice.

They are very much in the same situation as we were in September, with games coming thick and fast against quality opposition. Our finish to that run was 2 draws (vs Chelsea, vs ManCity) and 2 losses (vs Chelsea, vs Napoli). We looked nothing like the energetic team that put ManCity to the sword in the CL and looked simply uncharacteristically bad away to Napoli. I'm expecting the same from ManCity and if we do keep winning, we have a real chance of pulling away.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3563 on: January 30, 2019, 08:22:39 am »
People saying yesterdays result means nothing unless we win tonight are wrong. It means that no matter what happens tonight we have one game less to play where we proceed with a minimum of a 4 point lead. No matter what happens.

Win, lose, or draw, that result last night was massive for us. Going into this game knowing it's a no lose situation should steady and nerves and allow us to play with a bit less pressure. Its a bit of a freebie for us considering we all thought we'd only have a point lead and pretty much having to win (although I did think Newcastle would get something)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3564 on: January 30, 2019, 08:26:35 am »
Haha - the fewm!  :lmao

[...] said: ↑
We can all hope that Trump starts a nuclear war, to be fair. That would likely stop the leagues.
you'd still have to listen them saying ''they would'' have won it though, even in the midst of a nuclear winter

we need some sort of galaxy-wide temporal distortion or reset to occur in the next 3 months for them to be entirely thwarted
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 08:50:36 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3565 on: January 30, 2019, 08:32:05 am »
People saying yesterdays result means nothing unless we win tonight are wrong. It means that no matter what happens tonight we have one game less to play where we proceed with a minimum of a 4 point lead. No matter what happens.

Win, lose, or draw, that result last night was massive for us. Going into this game knowing it's a no lose situation should steady and nerves and allow us to play with a bit less pressure. Its a bit of a freebie for us considering we all thought we'd only have a point lead and pretty much having to win (although I did think Newcastle would get something)

It's about momentum as much as it is about maths, at this point. Last night, city surrendered what initiative they had. We now need to make the most of that, or else it is us who have let them off the hook.

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3566 on: January 30, 2019, 08:50:04 am »
The only thing that pisses me off (but only a little bit) about this challenge is that *IF* we do the unthinkable, it will immediately be written off by both the press and opposition fans as "Congratulations, you're as successful as Leicester." (Some fans are already saying it in preparation).

But let's just look at this realistically - Leicester had zero opposition from any of the big clubs that year.

To put it in perspective, we could lose 8 of our last 15 games and still equal their league-winning points total of 81.

Does anyone think that 81 would get us anywhere near the title this year?
I certainly don't.

Anyway - Moan over.  Fuck it.
Let's just concentrate on Leicester tonight and see where the next 15 games takes us.

Allez, Allez, Allez.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3567 on: January 30, 2019, 08:53:19 am »
14 to go, thanks Rafa.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3568 on: January 30, 2019, 09:00:45 am »
I like this feeling of winning by not even playing.

It is less stressful.   :wave

Offline Uncle Ronnie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3569 on: January 30, 2019, 09:01:44 am »
The only thing that pisses me off (but only a little bit) about this challenge is that *IF* we do the unthinkable, it will immediately be written off by both the press and opposition fans as "Congratulations, you're as successful as Leicester." (Some fans are already saying it in preparation).

I doubt anyone would say that. We're going to have to finish with the 2nd or 3rd highest points total ever to win the title, probably finish with more points that any LFC side in history etc. Plus finishing ahead of the greatest PL side of all timeTM.

And if anyone does think that, fuck 'em.

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3570 on: January 30, 2019, 09:04:30 am »
I doubt anyone would say that. We're going to have to finish with the 2nd or 3rd highest points total ever to win the title, probably finish with more points that any LFC side in history etc. Plus finishing ahead of the greatest PL side of all timeTM.

And if anyone does think that, fuck 'em.

Agree on the "fuck 'em" sentiment, but I've already had Man Utd fans say this to me.

Bitter fuckers.   ;D ;D ;D

Let's just get it done (*crosses fingers & toes) and then laugh at them all.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3571 on: January 30, 2019, 09:06:47 am »
One game at a time. Step by step. Everything else is irrelevant.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3572 on: January 30, 2019, 09:09:30 am »
Such a significant result last night.

You can now look at City's remaining fixtures and see a potential for dropping points just about anywhere, except for the very obvious ones, like Bournemouth, Cardiff, Arsenal and Everton ( ;D )  Us on the other hand have only really been countered by City, and we've proven adept this season at grinding out results - stuff of champions they say.

The fat lady ain't singing, but to quote Vegeta, "I'd say she just hummed a few bars".

And I've long known that if we win the title rivals and hateful pundits will resort to the "Leicester with money" argument. It's bitterness incarnate if they do though - you don't put in the kind of shift we have against a City side that cantered to the title last year if you're just Leicester.  Yes, the true challenge will be winning the title more than once, but that's for another season. 

Let's get the monkey off our back first, and in the meantime let them stew in their own filth.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3573 on: January 30, 2019, 09:10:19 am »
14 to go, thanks Rafa.
13, isn't it? If we win 13 games we'll finish on 99 points. The most City can get is 98.

I've said previously that I think 93-95 will win it. Before the game yesterday I thought City would get 94 points but I didn't expect them to lose. So I'm going with 93 for them now, 12 wins, 1 draw, 1 more loss. Judging by how they looked yesterday, that is perhaps giving them too much credit, and they would get 49 points in the second half of the season with those results. They're capable of it though, but niether team has much room for error in the run in. That we can afford to lose two more games than them is a massive advantage at this stage.

Offline Topwings!

• Main Stander
« Reply #3574 on: January 30, 2019, 09:12:24 am »
Last nights result felt massive. Tonight’s game feels massive.

To be 7 points clear would be a physiological boost.

???

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3575 on: January 30, 2019, 09:14:43 am »
Gameweek 30 is when it will be clear. If we are ahead by 7 or more after gameweek 30. It will be too much for City. If after gameweek 30 we are still within 3-4 points of City, then the pressure will be just unnerving.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #3576 on: January 30, 2019, 09:20:15 am »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3577 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:26 am »
Anyone able to focus on anything other than 8pm tonight?
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3578 on: January 30, 2019, 09:26:32 am »
I do think it is really important to win tonight and the next two games against West Ham and Bournemouth, not really for the points but for what it could do to City psychologically. Whilst if we drop a couple it would be disappointing but not the end of the world, consolidating the advantage would help set us up for the ultra tough run of games after the break with far less pressure on us to get wins at Utd and the BS.

The next 3 games for City have suddenly gone from being fairly tough but winnable to being potentially season defining. 7 from 9 would've been acceptable before yesterday's result but is no longer the case as it would now create a chasm.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #3579 on: January 30, 2019, 09:28:01 am »

I can of course, I have a conference call at 9:30.

Or maybe I'll dial in, zone out and carry on reading RAWK :D
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Kilcluney-Red

• Boys Pen
« Reply #3580 on: January 30, 2019, 09:31:58 am »
Start of the week I was just praying we still had the 4 point lead come end of play Wednesday, now we have that at the very least! Klopp will have them prepared like any other home game tonight, no need to big it up any more because of city’s failings. Hopefully a routine Anfield win and a bit less dramatic than the palace game  ;D )

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3581 on: January 30, 2019, 09:33:10 am »
I'm not working today or tomorrow so I'm toying with the idea of doing a bit of decorating or maybe clean the car or make a start in the garden or......nah can't be arsed with anything other than tonight's game.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3582 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:15 am »
When Manu was 8 points ahead of City going into April did City have games in hand?

And also, were City still in 4 competitions?

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3583 on: January 30, 2019, 09:40:53 am »
Such a significant result last night.

You can now look at City's remaining fixtures and see a potential for dropping points just about anywhere, except for the very obvious ones, like Bournemouth, Cardiff, Arsenal and Everton ( ;D )  Us on the other hand have only really been countered by City, and we've proven adept this season at grinding out results - stuff of champions they say.

The fat lady ain't singing, but to quote Vegeta, "I'd say she just hummed a few bars".

And I've long known that if we win the title rivals and hateful pundits will resort to the "Leicester with money" argument. It's bitterness incarnate if they do though - you don't put in the kind of shift we have against a City side that cantered to the title last year if you're just Leicester.  Yes, the true challenge will be winning the title more than once, but that's for another season. 

Let's get the monkey off our back first, and in the meantime let them stew in their own filth.

The amount of vitriol is ridiculous and it's best to laugh because anyone using that line is clearly thick as pigshit. 3 European Cup finals in 15 years, plus a Europa final and a few other European semi finals, not to mention a couple of title challenges really does put us on a par with Leicester doesn't it? I think it's hilarious that people volunteer to publicly demonstrate their inability to think.  ;D ;D

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #3584 on: January 30, 2019, 09:53:29 am »
13, isn't it? If we win 13 games we'll finish on 99 points. The most City can get is 98.

Is it?

Well that’s fucking great
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3585 on: January 30, 2019, 09:55:03 am »
Agree on the "fuck 'em" sentiment, but I've already had Man Utd fans say this to me.

Bitter fuckers.   ;D ;D ;D

Let's just get it done (*crosses fingers & toes) and then laugh at them all.

We haven't won anything yet so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If we do win the league, this season or another in the future, you and every other Liverpool supporter shouldn't give a fuck when any other person says. It's literally of no consequence. We'll have ended a long title drought and it'll probably be the biggest moment in the club's recent history. It'll be a time for celebration of our achievement not an opportunity for some 'bantz' with opposition fans.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3586 on: January 30, 2019, 09:58:48 am »
Trying my best not to look too far ahead. Win tonight, that's the focus. It is only January and there will be twists and turns for sure.

I did allow myself a glance at the next few fixtures. City have Arsenal and Chelsea in their next two games.

Must.resist.the.urge.to.think.they.lose.both..........

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #3587 on: January 30, 2019, 09:59:47 am »

Way, way too early for this type of shit.

Old enough to remember title races where we've won from being behind at this stage and were we've fallen short.

People will view me as being negative or trying to dampen down enthusiasm. I'm not. Experience tells me that, even if we win tonight, being 7 points ahead with 14 games to go isn't an unassailable lead. Not matter how well you've played from August to January. There's loads of time left in the season. We, and by that I mean everyone associated with the club, just need to focus on the next game. Starting tonight versus Leicester.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3588 on: January 30, 2019, 09:59:51 am »
And also, were City still in 4 competitions?

No. United put them out of the FA Cup in the 3rd round. We beat them in the semis of the league cup and they went out at the group stage of the Champions League.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3589 on: January 30, 2019, 10:00:03 am »
If we win it I honestly would be too happy to give a shit about what any other fans say. We know how hard we have to work for this. If we win it we’ll be fully deserving of it. Everything else is just noise.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3590 on: January 30, 2019, 10:08:10 am »
We don't give a fuck if you get injured.

;D ;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3591 on: January 30, 2019, 10:08:40 am »
One game at a time. I’m all for being confident and enjoying the ride but people are getting way ahead of themselves. Just win tonight. That’s all I care about. Would be great to take advantage of their failings last night. A win and it’s seven clear. Refocus and move on. A seven point gap has been pulled back many times far later than January. And that’s assuming it’ll be seven it may be four. Who knows! Just take it one at a time. Far too early to believe the media hype
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #3592 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:27 am »
One game at a time. Step by step. Everything else is irrelevant.

Rinse and repeat rinse and repeat rinse and repeat rinse and repeat.

Jesus fuck, I woke up buzzing seeing City lose, please lads just win tonight.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3593 on: January 30, 2019, 10:09:40 am »
Trying my best not to look too far ahead. Win tonight, that's the focus. It is only January and there will be twists and turns for sure.

I did allow myself a glance at the next few fixtures. City have Arsenal and Chelsea in their next two games.

Must.resist.the.urge.to.think.they.lose.both..........

They won’t be losing both. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them not win all 3 though (they have Everton between arsenal and Chelsea as a rearranged fixture)

If we can get 9 from 9 in our next 3, I’d be delighted with them dropping anything in those 3.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3594 on: January 30, 2019, 10:13:40 am »
United had 8 points more than City in 2012 in April and they ended up losing the title on goal-difference.

It's not over.

Of course it's not over, but that City was far hungrier. 

We get to speculate and look ahead, safe in the knowledge that the players aren't thinking past tonight.  In that capacity I'll say this Man City isn't cut out for a war of attrition. 

In the past, Liverpool would go on to blow a game like this; but then in the past we would have also been looking to close the gap on first to two points, not extend our lead to seven points.

No, it's not over, but we'll see how much of a fight it is after tonight :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3595 on: January 30, 2019, 10:15:41 am »
I'll be honest - I really think 90 points will do it now. I'm not saying we should get complacent or that we won't get 95+, but I'll be amazed if City get more than 90.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #3596 on: January 30, 2019, 10:24:07 am »
Not saying people are getting ahead of themselves, but there are no hotel rooms left in Liverpool on May 12th.

Shame that lad knocked over the new travelodge.

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #3597 on: January 30, 2019, 10:28:01 am »
Not saying people are getting ahead of themselves, but there are no hotel rooms left in Liverpool on May 12th.

It's smart to be fair, better to get something sorted now just in case. We can worry all we want in here, but from an odds point of view, we're the most likely to win it at this stage, so better get yourself boxed off.

Having said that, I haven't. So if it comes to it, (and you'd have to hope we will at least have a chance on the last day even if things go badly from here), I'll drive up and sleep in the back seat of my car. I reckon we could get three in there with the seats in the front laid back as well. Plus hopefully there won't be much sleeping going on that night anyway.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3598 on: January 30, 2019, 10:28:08 am »

Shame that lad knocked over the new travelodge.

:D

The wait between games is unbearable! And you look at the bigger picture and think we should be able to get a points total that would win it, but then each game comes around and for their own reasons can all be problematic.

Wish there was a way we could speed through this, fast forward to the start of May and see what the table looks like!

Offline DG

• Killjoy who loves himself.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lovern
« Reply #3599 on: January 30, 2019, 10:28:19 am »
Way, way too early for this type of shit.

Old enough to remember title races where we've won from being behind at this stage and were we've fallen short.

People will view me as being negative or trying to dampen down enthusiasm. I'm not. Experience tells me that, even if we win tonight, being 7 points ahead with 14 games to go isn't an unassailable lead. Not matter how well you've played from August to January. There's loads of time left in the season. We, and by that I mean everyone associated with the club, just need to focus on the next game. Starting tonight versus Leicester.
Ok mate well you may perhaps gauge from the thread title that this thread is for talking about the the title and the pack chasing us. For focusing on just the next game, I recommend the thread for the next game.

Fucking hell these posts are tedious.