Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1887883 times)

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #4760 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:47 pm »
I think he’s being judged a bit harshly because of expectations that were built during the time since we signed that advanced deal. He hasn’t been playing his preferred role lately either, and he’s had some injuries.

Royhendo’s stats posted earlier show he’s making a contribution.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4761 on: January 22, 2019, 08:14:41 pm »
I've said my piece over and over on this.  I don't see how you can buy a player who's value is predicated on a certain skill set being used and then not use the player in situations to benefit from that. 

With that said Naby isn't Fred or any other potential flop of the year.  He still gets minutes, albeit the lowest of any midfielder, so Klopp and Co probably don't agree with us arm chair pundits.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #4762 on: January 22, 2019, 08:39:11 pm »
I've said my piece over and over on this.  I don't see how you can buy a player who's value is predicated on a certain skill set being used and then not use the player in situations to benefit from that. 

With that said Naby isn't Fred or any other potential flop of the year.  He still gets minutes, albeit the lowest of any midfielder, so Klopp and Co probably don't agree with us arm chair pundits.

Klopp has to think about the whole team and winning matches, he cant arrange the team to suit Keita. Fabinho has played CB and Milner has played RB, to take two recent examples.
Keita is a link player, connecting defense and attack. It's a complicated role where he has to get on the same wavelength as basically all the other players. He'll get there.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #4763 on: January 22, 2019, 08:44:20 pm »
Right, so here is what I saw on the first goal. As always, it was many errors adding up to one goal conceded. I didn't see anything much wrong with what Henderson did, and Keita only made one fatal mistake, but otherwise, the errors mostly rested elsewhere in the passage of play.

Here is the picture initially, from the throw-in and the switch into the middle from Palace:

Here, for the moment, Firmino should be closing the ball down, as he's the nearest defender to the ball. If it's a pressing trap, then it might be part of the trap to let this player play the ball in order to lock the ball down on the wings. This seems to possibly be the case in the next pass - however, not aggressively pressing doesn't mean there should be no pressure, and Firmino could perhaps do a little bit more here.

What really should happen here is Keita pressing the ball and Firmino taking the back pass option way, or covering behind at an angle. Either one is good. Firmino does neither, leading to Keita pushing on and pressing, but crucially, makes the mistake of thinking he has to win the ball there. He doesn't, and now we're flat to the ball and in all sorts of potential trouble defensively. So...

... we've left a big dangerous space in behind our press, because the midfield and defence haven't compacted to the ball. As a pressing team, we're already in trouble before the ball is even released.

So now Firmino takes over the pressure role, Naby cheats to the back pass (not a bad decision at all), but Mane starts to move forward, with the midfield finally pushing up to compress the play. However...

... Mane doesn't do the sensible thing and cover the penetration pass option, like he really should. Instead...

... he overshoots that area to add to the press needlessly, creating a flat line of three pressure players (three 1st Defenders), with Salah making his way across but in no way, shape, or form in any useful defensive position. Then...

... the penetration pass finally gets played (classic 4v2/5v2 rondo situation for any coaches reading, dontcha think?), meaning the next nearest defender to the ball has to step and press...

... which is Henderson. But the ball gets bounced back to McArthur, and the three attackers still haven't recovered goalside, so Henderson HAS to continue to press. Inexplicably, Robertson decides to get involved too, instead of pinching in a bit and covering Henderson with Fabinho. But a two-touch receive-and-pass later...

... and Palace are away, overloading our defence 5-to-4, but still with 60 yards to cover before a strike on goal. So it's a bad spot to be in, but not terrible just yet.

From the midfield/Keita perspective, though, both Keita and Henderson do most of the right things - Keita diving in spoils it, Henderson (and Fabinho) not pushing up compounds it, requiring Henderson to aggressively press because he's too far away in the first place. Mane, though, is the biggest problem here, as he overshoots the 1st Attacker needlessly, meaning Milner eventually has to deal with the ball 1v1 instead of getting support from Mane on that side. Error after error, reminiscent of Brendan's interpretation of "pressing".

It was just a bad play all round, but neither Keita nor Henderson did anything egregious - they were both justified in doing what they did based on the principles of defence. What messed it all up was Firmino's passiveness, Salah's delay, and Mane's over-exuberance. After that, ball-watching in the box instead of marking creates the perfect conditions for a goal conceded.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Bob Sacamano

• Legacy Fan
  • Alleged Manc and/or Gooner
« Reply #4764 on: January 22, 2019, 09:05:07 pm »
Right, so here is what I saw on the first goal. As always, it was many errors adding up to one goal conceded. I didn't see anything much wrong with what Henderson did, and Keita only made one fatal mistake, but otherwise, the errors mostly rested elsewhere in the passage of play.

Here is the picture initially, from the throw-in and the switch into the middle from Palace:

Here, for the moment, Firmino should be closing the ball down, as he's the nearest defender to the ball. If it's a pressing trap, then it might be part of the trap to let this player play the ball in order to lock the ball down on the wings. This seems to possibly be the case in the next pass - however, not aggressively pressing doesn't mean there should be no pressure, and Firmino could perhaps do a little bit more here.

What really should happen here is Keita pressing the ball and Firmino taking the back pass option way, or covering behind at an angle. Either one is good. Firmino does neither, leading to Keita pushing on and pressing, but crucially, makes the mistake of thinking he has to win the ball there. He doesn't, and now we're flat to the ball and in all sorts of potential trouble defensively. So...

... we've left a big dangerous space in behind our press, because the midfield and defence haven't compacted to the ball. As a pressing team, we're already in trouble before the ball is even released.

So now Firmino takes over the pressure role, Naby cheats to the back pass (not a bad decision at all), but Mane starts to move forward, with the midfield finally pushing up to compress the play. However...

... Mane doesn't do the sensible thing and cover the penetration pass option, like he really should. Instead...

... he overshoots that area to add to the press needlessly, creating a flat line of three pressure players (three 1st Defenders), with Salah making his way across but in no way, shape, or form in any useful defensive position. Then...

... the penetration pass finally gets played (classic 4v2/5v2 rondo situation for any coaches reading, dontcha think?), meaning the next nearest defender to the ball has to step and press...

... which is Henderson. But the ball gets bounced back to McArthur, and the three attackers still haven't recovered goalside, so Henderson HAS to continue to press. Inexplicably, Robertson decides to get involved too, instead of pinching in a bit and covering Henderson with Fabinho. But a two-touch receive-and-pass later...

... and Palace are away, overloading our defence 5-to-4, but still with 60 yards to cover before a strike on goal. So it's a bad spot to be in, but not terrible just yet.

From the midfield/Keita perspective, though, both Keita and Henderson do most of the right things - Keita diving in spoils it, Henderson (and Fabinho) not pushing up compounds it, requiring Henderson to aggressively press because he's too far away in the first place. Mane, though, is the biggest problem here, as he overshoots the 1st Attacker needlessly, meaning Milner eventually has to deal with the ball 1v1 instead of getting support from Mane on that side. Error after error, reminiscent of Brendan's interpretation of "pressing".

It was just a bad play all round, but neither Keita nor Henderson did anything egregious - they were both justified in doing what they did based on the principles of defence. What messed it all up was Firmino's passiveness, Salah's delay, and Mane's over-exuberance. After that, ball-watching in the box instead of marking creates the perfect conditions for a goal conceded.

First time I watched the replay Mane stuck out as making the biggest error. I don't mind what Keita and Robertson did...they smelled blood and with a bit of fortune a 3 v 2 transition could've instead been a 5 v 2 transition and almost a certain goal. As you say, once they broke the press, we still had plenty of time to recover. And this is Palace mind you, not City. If we had a RB who doesn't get toasted 1v1 (cough Clyne cough) it probably amounts to nothing.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #4765 on: January 22, 2019, 09:28:04 pm »
I've just watched it, and I'm doing diagrams on it right now, but your memory is off a little. Nothing Henderson did was wrong when he sprinted. However, he shouldn't have had to, as the whole team lacked compactness in the first place, and pressing without compactness is not "pressing" - as we saw repeatedly under Brendan. In fact, I'd say the biggest culprit in that play was Mane. I'll show more when I'm done. I don't listen to podcasts, so I've no idea what Sean Rogers said (and he's a very good coach from the stuff I've read from him in the past), but I won't be surprised if we say the same things.

Yes sorry I had it mixed up it was Mane not Fabinho that I thought was a little over zealous in the first place, but should Hendo not be aware of the fact that Fabinho is in the back line covering and therefore he's the only body in the middle of the pitch? Or is that being hyper critical?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4766 on: January 22, 2019, 09:47:21 pm »
From Naby

"I've been told that if the fans back in Guinea have all switched on their TVs and I'm not in the starting XI sometimes they can be angry and frustrated.

"I'm the only Guinean player who is at a top club so I have to work really hard. Everyone believes in me back home so not only do I have to do my job here for all the fans at Liverpool, but I've got to do it for the whole of my country back home."

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4767 on: January 22, 2019, 09:50:44 pm »
From Naby

"I've been told that if the fans back in Guinea have all switched on their TVs and I'm not in the starting XI sometimes they can be angry and frustrated.

"I'm the only Guinean player who is at a top club so I have to work really hard. Everyone believes in me back home so not only do I have to do my job here for all the fans at Liverpool, but I've got to do it for the whole of my country back home."

That’s a lot of pressure on a young lads shoulders. New country, new language, first proper big club, wearing the shirt number of a club legend, and the expectations of his country!
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4768 on: January 22, 2019, 10:03:18 pm »

Sorry, Yorky mate :)

But that is EXACTLY the time to press ;D

Players with 10 yards of space - even bad players - can kill your defence with one pass.

I'm going to look at that play again, but I am guessing from memory that Henderson was the nearest player to the ball at the time?

Not when he's set and got the ball perfectly under control it isn't. Pressing then is madness. That's the time to assume a more defensive mindset.

Do look again PoP. I think Hendo actually runs past one of our players to get to McArthur. He certainly does if you include Robertson who has realised the press is over and hasn't worked.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4769 on: January 22, 2019, 10:08:29 pm »
Oh great  ;D  :butt

Anyway, Naby.... just think he needs one big game to really explode. Not easy to move to a new country at a young age anyway, let alone when it was pre planned for such a long time and the expectation was monstrous. Think a good portion of us had him down as player of the season in the prediction threads.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4770 on: January 22, 2019, 10:13:49 pm »
Not when he's set and got the ball perfectly under control it isn't. Pressing then is madness. That's the time to assume a more defensive mindset.

Do look again PoP. I think Hendo actually runs past one of our players to get to McArthur. He certainly does if you include Robertson who has realised the press is over and hasn't worked.

The only time you don't pressure is when you're outnumbered at the back. So are you saying the Palace player should have been allowed to turn and see forward?

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4771 on: January 22, 2019, 10:38:21 pm »
The only time you don't pressure is when you're outnumbered at the back. So are you saying the Palace player should have been allowed to turn and see forward?

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the opposite. Stop the Palace player turning!

The press is triggered correctly when McArthur is facing the wrong way and about to receive the ball. That's a good time to press. In this case the pass to McArthur was also telegraphed and you can see Keita poised to press as the 'telegraph' is read. Firmino comes in from the other side as soon as he realises the press is on. All good.

The error in this case, such as it is, is when neither Keita or Firmino dispossess McArthur. That's surprising. Maybe McArthur gets lucky with the bounce but he somehow manages to evade two Liverpool players who are executing the press correctly.

As for Mane, he did the sensible thing when he saw the press being triggered. He joined the attack as swiftly as he could and made a run beyond the harassed McArthur to intercept any likely back-pass, and also to be ready to receive an instant pass once Firmino had got the ball off McArthur. He was, of course, banking on Keita and Firmino dispossessing McArthur - a good bet at the time because McArthur was really struggling to keep the ball and still facing the wrong way.

If you look again at your 5th diagram you'll see what I mean. McArthur is facing the wrong way with two Liverpool players in very close proximity. It's a great time to join the press and therefore your little white line saying "Mane should stop here" doesn't make sense (except in a sort of hindsight). Mane did the sensible thing, didn't stop, and joined the press, to make it 4 against 2! Klopp's system in a nutshell.

But at this point McArthur somehow escapes Firmino and Keita and then for the first time faces the right way in space with the ball now UNDER HIS TOTAL COMMAND. In other words, its suddenly become a very bad time to press. Especially so since we have three players now on the wrong side of the ball (Bobby, Naby, Sadio).The press hasn't worked.  Now the team should be thinking more defensively. The priority should be closing off passing lanes. But this is when Hendo comes hurtling in. Hurtling past a Palace midfielder in space towards the man with the ball. Indeed hurtling towards a player with the ball UNDER HIS TOTAL COMMAND.

My understanding of pressing, which is the opposite of yours, is that this isn't a smart time to press. Why press a player in total command of the ball who is facing the right way in space and can see all the movement in front of him? You say that such a player, even a not very good one can, do damage in that situation. I say that's why you adopt a more defensive mind-set and revert to closing off the passing lanes.     
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:40:48 pm by Yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4772 on: January 23, 2019, 12:49:48 am »
thanks for putting together those diagrams and writing the explanation PoP!

Seeing your hyperbolic criticism of Henderson hints, but doesn't guarantee, that your biases may be at play and damaging your usually very good calling of a play. Seeing you praise Robertson again though, and suggest he's been more considered than Henderson, surely confirms it!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 12:51:32 am by Classycara »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4773 on: January 23, 2019, 04:04:09 am »
I'm not saying that. I'm saying the opposite. Stop the Palace player turning!

So how do you do that without closing him down - on which, more in a bit, because I see where we're going wrong ;D

The press is triggered correctly when McArthur is facing the wrong way and about to receive the ball. That's a good time to press. In this case the pass to McArthur was also telegraphed and you can see Keita poised to press as the 'telegraph' is read. Firmino comes in from the other side as soon as he realises the press is on. All good.

Agreed

The error in this case, such as it is, is when neither Keita or Firmino dispossess McArthur. That's surprising. Maybe McArthur gets lucky with the bounce but he somehow manages to evade two Liverpool players who are executing the press correctly.

The problem is - their job is not to dispossess the player. It is first to get their head down so they can't see their options. Then it is to guide the attacker into the area of the field they want the ball to be, usually where there is compactness, which in this case, hadn't arrived yet

As for Mane, he did the sensible thing when he saw the press being triggered. He joined the attack as swiftly as he could and made a run beyond the harassed McArthur to intercept any likely back-pass, and also to be ready to receive an instant pass once Firmino had got the ball off McArthur. He was, of course, banking on Keita and Firmino dispossessing McArthur - a good bet at the time because McArthur was really struggling to keep the ball and still facing the wrong way.

He did, but he went too far. You can't pressure without having cover. His actions meant there was no cover, and we were caught square.

If you look again at your 5th diagram you'll see what I mean. McArthur is facing the wrong way with two Liverpool players in very close proximity. It's a great time to join the press and therefore your little white line saying "Mane should stop here" doesn't make sense (except in a sort of hindsight). Mane did the sensible thing, didn't stop, and joined the press, to make it 4 against 2! Klopp's system in a nutshell.

It makes sense because the 2nd defenders have to cover the nearest options. You don't need four players pressuring the same player. Why not? Well we saw it right there - the ball gets played through the flat line, and the attacking team are able to play out.
But at this point McArthur somehow escapes Firmino and Keita and then for the first time faces the right way in space with the ball now UNDER HIS TOTAL COMMAND.

There's no "somehow" - we were caught square defensively, with no covering depth, which is a major sin in defending.

In other words, its suddenly become a very bad time to press. Especially so since we have three players now on the wrong side of the ball (Bobby, Naby, Sadio).The press hasn't worked.  Now the team should be thinking more defensively. The priority should be closing off passing lanes. But this is when Hendo comes hurtling in. Hurtling past a Palace midfielder in space towards the man with the ball. Indeed hurtling towards a player with the ball UNDER HIS TOTAL COMMAND.

So here's the thing - in another thread, a couple of posters had a brouhaha with me about me being pedantic about terms, but this is why - and I have fallen into my own laziness here. You are talking about "Team Pressing", and nothing you've said is much wrong. When referring to what Keita and Henderson did, I used the term "press" when I should have used "pressure" - the first principle of defence. Instead, if I say "closing down", then hopefully it becomes clearer. Henderson did nothing wrong tactically, Keita did nothing wrong tactically, although he did get it wrong technically by diving in. Mane, though, was late running, and then ran more than he needed to, leaving a player free, who eventually got the ball

My understanding of pressing, which is the opposite of yours,

It's not. We understand it the same way, but what you are overlooking is the principles of defence on which all defensive systems are built, I think. The first principle says "the nearest defending player closes down the player with the ball". Without this, your defensive system is on the way to falling apart.

[...]is that this isn't a smart time to press. Why press a player in total command of the ball who is facing the right way in space and can see all the movement in front of him? You say that such a player, even a not very good one can, do damage in that situation. I say that's why you adopt a more defensive mind-set and revert to closing off the passing lanes.   

If you don't close them down, they will play the long pass (or shoot if they are near goal). Which is what happened. Which is why you close them down :)

Here are some examples from coaching courses:

USSF -

FA (from UEFA B course) -

Brazil -

UEFA B (Actual assessment session)-

As you can see, across all federations and levels, the first principle is "nearest defending player closes down the player with the ball", so even without team pressing, Henderson closing down wasn't wrong, but at the same time, Mane not covering was. Keita himself did nothing much wrong other than dive in and miss, so too with Firmino. You really don't ever want to be square when you're pressing as a team - there should be layers of compact cover behind, If three people are going to go press a ball, they need to be in some sort of triangle arrangement (1 closing down, 2 covering, or 2 closing down and 1 covering). Our boys didn't do that, though, and we paid the price.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4774 on: January 23, 2019, 05:04:04 am »
So how do you do that without closing him down - on which, more in a bit, because I see where we're going wrong ;D

Agreed

The problem is - their job is not to dispossess the player. It is first to get their head down so they can't see their options. Then it is to guide the attacker into the area of the field they want the ball to be, usually where there is compactness, which in this case, hadn't arrived yet

He did, but he went too far. You can't pressure without having cover. His actions meant there was no cover, and we were caught square.

It makes sense because the 2nd defenders have to cover the nearest options. You don't need four players pressuring the same player. Why not? Well we saw it right there - the ball gets played through the flat line, and the attacking team are able to play out.
There's no "somehow" - we were caught square defensively, with no covering depth, which is a major sin in defending.

So here's the thing - in another thread, a couple of posters had a brouhaha with me about me being pedantic about terms, but this is why - and I have fallen into my own laziness here. You are talking about "Team Pressing", and nothing you've said is much wrong. When referring to what Keita and Henderson did, I used the term "press" when I should have used "pressure" - the first principle of defence. Instead, if I say "closing down", then hopefully it becomes clearer. Henderson did nothing wrong tactically, Keita did nothing wrong tactically, although he did get it wrong technically by diving in. Mane, though, was late running, and then ran more than he needed to, leaving a player free, who eventually got the ball

It's not. We understand it the same way, but what you are overlooking is the principles of defence on which all defensive systems are built, I think. The first principle says "the nearest defending player closes down the player with the ball". Without this, your defensive system is on the way to falling apart.

If you don't close them down, they will play the long pass (or shoot if they are near goal). Which is what happened. Which is why you close them down :)

Here are some examples from coaching courses:

USSF -

FA (from UEFA B course) -

Brazil -

UEFA B (Actual assessment session)-

As you can see, across all federations and levels, the first principle is "nearest defending player closes down the player with the ball", so even without team pressing, Henderson closing down wasn't wrong, but at the same time, Mane not covering was. Keita himself did nothing much wrong other than dive in and miss, so too with Firmino. You really don't ever want to be square when you're pressing as a team - there should be layers of compact cover behind, If three people are going to go press a ball, they need to be in some sort of triangle arrangement (1 closing down, 2 covering, or 2 closing down and 1 covering). Our boys didn't do that, though, and we paid the price.

Bloody hell PoP.. Soon you'll be handing out coaching badges on RAWK..  ;D

F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4775 on: January 23, 2019, 05:10:30 am »

Ooooo! A coaching badger? I want one! It will go along perfectly with my financial panther.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4776 on: January 23, 2019, 05:18:48 am »

The only badge anyone needs:

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4777 on: January 23, 2019, 09:40:39 am »
It's good when the discussion transcends personal sniping and gets into something you genuinely learn things from, isn't it?

Keita's pretty good at the pressing from a sharpness, stamina and intelligence point of view though you have to say. Me personally, I think if we're working on his strength conditioning that'd be a massive difference in itself. The two Wolves games were indicative I though - he was singled out for a lot of physical (albeit fair) contact, particularly from Doherty, and he soon realised he wasn't going to get much protection from the referee, and from there shrunk in terms of his contribution when we had the ball. In old fashioned parlance, he started to hide; and he's not someone who tends to hide. Contrast that with Palace away at the start of the season. He didn't have that kind of doubt and he shined.

I think once he's able to assert himself physically the rest of the game will start to feel easy to him again. I don't think it's fair to this versatile a talent to say it's about Leipzig having been a counter-attacking set up. We still counter attack.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4778 on: January 23, 2019, 10:44:26 am »
It's good when the discussion transcends personal sniping and gets into something you genuinely learn things from, isn't it?

Keita's pretty good at the pressing from a sharpness, stamina and intelligence point of view though you have to say. Me personally, I think if we're working on his strength conditioning that'd be a massive difference in itself. The two Wolves games were indicative I though - he was singled out for a lot of physical (albeit fair) contact, particularly from Doherty, and he soon realised he wasn't going to get much protection from the referee, and from there shrunk in terms of his contribution when we had the ball. In old fashioned parlance, he started to hide; and he's not someone who tends to hide. Contrast that with Palace away at the start of the season. He didn't have that kind of doubt and he shined.

I think once he's able to assert himself physically the rest of the game will start to feel easy to him again. I don't think it's fair to this versatile a talent to say it's about Leipzig having been a counter-attacking set up. We still counter attack.

Can't argue about any of that.

For me it's about Keita coming to terms with the physicality and the pace of the Premier League. That's not going to come easily since he's not a big mobile midfielder like Fabinho who can adapt more quickly. Some conditioning work could help him hugely. If so the summer seems a crucial period for him.

I think once he has shown the ability to cope with the physical aspects of the Premier league, we can start transitioning him into playing in a midfield 2. At the moment it looks like Klopp wouldn't take that risk. If he did then I'd be amazed if it wasn't anything other than playing alongside Henderson like he did at Burnley. In the meantime, Keita will get some opportunities but I suspect it'll be in the nominally left position in the 3 in front of the midfield 2. A position that is slightly out of the firing line compared to playing in the position that Henderson, Fabinho and Wijnaldum currently occupy.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #4779 on: January 23, 2019, 10:45:11 am »

Needs to learn how to use his arse like Gini

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4780 on: January 23, 2019, 01:53:36 pm »
Naby Keita watch clearly visible here alongside his fetching Shankly/Paisley style Gola trackie.

"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4781 on: January 23, 2019, 01:54:30 pm »
Naby Keita watch clearly visible here.

couldn't see the watch - lost amongst all the G's

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4782 on: January 23, 2019, 02:39:12 pm »
Footballers wear the worst outfits.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #4783 on: January 23, 2019, 05:41:46 pm »
They really do don't they?! Money doesn't always buy style I guess.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4784 on: January 23, 2019, 06:15:13 pm »
He’s not been good enough so far. He lets the game pass him by. I’m not sure if it’s down to tactics, formation, injuries, new country, bigger club?. But what he’s shown so far has been underwhelming.

I’m sure he’ll improve tho. Maybe he’ll be a slow burner.

That said he’ll need to start showing what he can do next season at least or people will start to get on his back. In that sense he’s lucky we are top of the league.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #4785 on: January 23, 2019, 06:16:04 pm »

Largely

Lewis Hamilton is the champion of dressing like a twat though
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #4786 on: January 23, 2019, 06:20:34 pm »

Words fail me.

At this time of year he should be wearing a three piece tweed suit, topped by a sheepskin coat, as worn by Kevin Keegan and Charlie Nicholas.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4787 on: January 23, 2019, 06:59:03 pm »
He’s not been good enough so far. He lets the game pass him by. I’m not sure if it’s down to tactics, formation, injuries, new country, bigger club?. But what he’s shown so far has been underwhelming.

I’m sure he’ll improve tho. Maybe he’ll be a slow burner.

That said he’ll need to start showing what he can do next season at least or people will start to get on his back. In that sense he’s lucky we are top of the league.

I suspect you will.

I hate posts like this. They lack courage. 1. He's not good enough. 2. I'm sure he'll improve though. 3. There again people will get on his back if he doesn't. 4. They'd be on his back already but the fact that his teammates are good enough to put us top of the league.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4788 on: January 23, 2019, 07:14:11 pm »
Largely

Lewis Hamilton is the champion of dressing like a twat though

Enter Hector Bellerin

Offline Cheesehead

• What the hell is Brett Favrrrvre doing here?
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4789 on: January 23, 2019, 07:42:44 pm »
I suspect you will.

I hate posts like this. They lack courage. 1. He's not good enough. 2. I'm sure he'll improve though. 3. There again people will get on his back if he doesn't. 4. They'd be on his back already but the fact that his teammates are good enough to put us top of the league.

You can suspect all you want. You don’t know me.

I think the lad has loads of talent but one reason or another he’s not shown it yet.

The bold bit is true. It’ll mainly come from non match going non local fans.

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4790 on: January 23, 2019, 07:48:50 pm »
The only badge anyone needs:

You coach at Everton?  :o
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4791 on: January 23, 2019, 07:53:27 pm »
You coach at Everton?  :o

I think that's the "new" man shitty badge.

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4792 on: January 23, 2019, 08:04:36 pm »
I think that's the "new" man shitty badge.

Nah, Plymouth Argyle.

Online Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4793 on: January 23, 2019, 08:08:46 pm »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #4794 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:19 pm »
In my league, the man closest to the car park refills the cooler with beer when it gets under half and the best defenders girlfriend will have his cigarette already lit for him as he subs,  3 per half and 2 more at half time. So those other guys did alright, like, with those rules and principals and stuffs.

It was the fucker what stole a march in the box was the problem, I'dve had that bastard on his ass before he walked onto it like that. The refs usually cut me some slack because im way old compared to most, so i just make like i fell down in front of him all exhausted like and they let it go. Not sure what that would diagram like, but it effective i promise you. Somebody shoulda thought of that one!
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4795 on: January 23, 2019, 09:27:43 pm »
In my league, the man closest to the car park refills the cooler with beer when it gets under half and the best defenders girlfriend will have his cigarette already lit for him as he subs,  3 per half and 2 more at half time. So those other guys did alright, like, with those rules and principals and stuffs.

It was the fucker what stole a march in the box was the problem, I'dve had that bastard on his ass before he walked onto it like that. The refs usually cut me some slack because im way old compared to most, so i just make like i fell down in front of him all exhausted like and they let it go. Not sure what that would diagram like, but it effective i promise you. Somebody shoulda thought of that one!

You've been spying on my training sessions, haven't you?

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #4796 on: January 23, 2019, 09:28:20 pm »
Ooooo! A coaching badger? I want one! It will go along perfectly with my financial panther.
How do you coach a badger?

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #4797 on: January 23, 2019, 09:32:37 pm »
How do you coach a badger?

;D

It's difficult.  They're usually sett in their ways...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4798 on: January 23, 2019, 09:41:38 pm »
It's difficult.  They're usually sett in their ways...

And they have to earn their stripes

Online BOBSCOUSE

• Awestruck admirer of the families, YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4799 on: January 23, 2019, 11:40:57 pm »
This thread just got brock-en
JFT96
Here comes retribution motherfuckers!