Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446616 times)

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Virgil Van Dijk signs for Liverpool
« Reply #4080 on: December 23, 2018, 04:09:12 am »
That's entirely fair, but Klopp has probably addressed the captaincy issue by making it about a committee of leaders (namely Henderson, Milner, VVD and Gini), making the armband a shared responsibility.

I agree. He has. As I said, I think I was wrong now and that Klopp has handled the situation extremely well. I am not sure though that a committee of leaders will work in the long run.

Again, I am probably wrong on this too, but it is something that is on my mind and it is my opinion at the moment. I am entitled to change my opinion based on facts rather than conjecture.

I haven't posted on RAWK for ages until the last couple of days. I haven't posted because I haven't had much to say. It's nice in a weird way, in my youth, supporting Liverpool, I rarely had much to say either. I was absolutely confident that Paisley et al knew a lot more about football than me and that they would make the right decision, however tough the decision was. For the most part, they did. For the first time in almost thirty years I am beginning to feel the same way. We are becoming a very well oiled machine and it is wonderful to see. 
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Online Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #4081 on: December 23, 2018, 05:00:45 am »
I agree. He has. As I said, I think I was wrong now and that Klopp has handled the situation extremely well. I am not sure though that a committee of leaders will work in the long run.

Again, I am probably wrong on this too, but it is something that is on my mind and it is my opinion at the moment. I am entitled to change my opinion based on facts rather than conjecture.

I haven't posted on RAWK for ages until the last couple of days. I haven't posted because I haven't had much to say. It's nice in a weird way, in my youth, supporting Liverpool, I rarely had much to say either. I was absolutely confident that Paisley et al knew a lot more about football than me and that they would make the right decision, however tough the decision was. For the most part, they did. For the first time in almost thirty years I am beginning to feel the same way. We are becoming a very well oiled machine and it is wonderful to see. 

There's a good possibility Virgil is made captain down the road, for the reasons you mentioned (ever-present in the first 11, one of the best players on the pitch) but it's definitely not going to happen during the season when the squad harmony is so tight.

Robbo articulates it best:

“We have a fantastic captain in Hendo. This was his 300th game for the club and that's a great achievement,” Robertson said.

“We've got Milly behind him as well and he's a top pro, everyone looks up to him. Virgil is captain for his country so there are plenty of leaders on the park.

“I'm including Dejan (Lovren) in that as well. The more leaders we have got on the park the better as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-robertson-reveals-dressing-room-15588024

It's telling as well how he includes Lovren in that.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4082 on: December 23, 2018, 05:16:05 am »
I'm 28, he's one of the best players I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt. He's certainly the best defender. Gerrard will always be untouchable for me, then your Suarez/Xabi/Salahs in the rung below. He's actually fucking unreal. Just watching him shrug off the fastest/strongest forwards in the league on a regular basis. He doesn't give a fuck because he knows he's better. He has 0 shortcomings. Leader, communicator, rapid pace, technically proficient, dominant in the air, unfeasibly capable at every aspect of defending. Brilliant, brilliant business to just go out and drop £75m on this guy, eyebrows were raised everywere at the time.

We've known it for a while, but now everyone else is waking up to the reality that this guy will be the key player in the back 5 - the defence, the calmness, the solidity - the lack of which killed us in 13/14.  Liverpool haven't had a title-winning defence in my lifetime. Now they do, and in my opinion that's mostly down to this guy. He will be the basis for everything this Klopp team achieves. And believe me we're gonna fucking win something with this lad.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 06:56:18 am by Grinch57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #4083 on: December 23, 2018, 05:27:21 am »
I bet he smells lovely.

Troy Deeney agrees with you

“He’s one of those guys who sprays on his top as well so he smells lovely."
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline AirConGipsyRed

• The Floater in Camerons Toilet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4084 on: December 23, 2018, 12:40:11 pm »
There's a good possibility Virgil is made captain down the road, for the reasons you mentioned (ever-present in the first 11, one of the best players on the pitch) but it's definitely not going to happen during the season when the squad harmony is so tight.

“We have a fantastic captain in Hendo. This was his 300th game for the club and that's a great achievement,” Robertson said.

“We've got Milly behind him as well and he's a top pro, everyone looks up to him. Virgil is captain for his country so there are plenty of leaders on the park.

“I'm including Dejan (Lovren) in that as well. The more leaders we have got on the park the better as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/andy-robertson-reveals-dressing-room-15588024

Heavens. Why would anyone change anything now? That would be madness.
The wheels on my house go round and round, round and round..........

"I don't care about pollution, I'm an Air-Conditioned Gipsy, That's my solution, Watch the police and the tax man miss me, I'm mobile"

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4085 on: December 23, 2018, 01:14:53 pm »
Shoe in for POTY?

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4086 on: December 23, 2018, 01:17:19 pm »
No fanbase is obsessed with who wears a bit of velcro/fabric on their arm quite like ours!

Offline Gutzon Borglum

• Kopite
« Reply #4087 on: December 23, 2018, 01:25:26 pm »
Big Virg was born to win titles for this club. Salah is so vital because he's our main match winner, but Van Dijk is the most important player in this team for me. Irreplaceable.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4088 on: December 23, 2018, 03:13:44 pm »
I don’t think anyone who doesn’t watch every game can understand just how much of an effect he has had on our performances in 2018
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4089 on: December 23, 2018, 03:16:06 pm »

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #4090 on: December 23, 2018, 03:40:03 pm »
With every passing game, pass, tackle, header, goal he just looks a snip at 75 mil.  What a giant of a player we have.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4091 on: December 23, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »
He plays like Joe Gomez older brother, is the biggest compliment I can give to him. ;D

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #4092 on: December 23, 2018, 04:04:17 pm »
This guy simply has to be made captain. He gets it. I remember Joyce writing that after the Southampton game at home last season VVD said as he was leaving the pitch ‘who wouldn’t want to play here’. This guy is a once in a generation defender. He is a winne, leader, I can’t run out of compliments for him. Our best signing since Suarez.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Rafa B.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #4093 on: December 23, 2018, 07:42:35 pm »
Shoe in for POTY?

Certainly seems like he should be the frontrunner.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4094 on: December 23, 2018, 07:59:17 pm »
No fanbase is obsessed with who wears a bit of velcro/fabric on their arm quite like ours!

That's a bit like saying no society is obsessed with the bits of paper with the queen's mug on it like this one. Maybe what the armband symbolizes isn't that important, but it's clearly more than just a bit of fabric.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline solidgold

• Main Stander
« Reply #4095 on: December 24, 2018, 05:35:23 am »
Anyone got a gif to show how Virgil came back chase  down Traore one-on-one and dispossessed him with ease? Will love to see that again and again. I didn’t know Virgil is that fast considering Traore is a speed demon.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4096 on: December 24, 2018, 10:15:30 am »
It's fine to prefer Van Dijk as a captain, but for the people to keep on banging on it after Klopp deliberately revealed he and Gini have been voted in as the 3rd and 4th choice captains, that we have now four acknowledged genuine leaders, is to not listen to the gaffer at all. That the measure of captaincy isn't tied to one individual.

No no no...
Lets make a fucking big issue of it... we have to make an issue of something... I know people are but let’s make an issue for being the top of the league...
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #4097 on: December 24, 2018, 11:11:59 am »

Is it though, the Internet experts (some on here too) tell me Lovren is shite so I think Robbo has to be wrong with his statement here   ??? ::)

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4098 on: December 24, 2018, 11:16:02 pm »
I think he's the only center half I've ever seen actually direct his defensive headers - he doesn't just head them up and away, he actually directs/cushions/lays them off to a team mate. Check out Salah's first goal against Southampton last season: from our corner, he laid off a lovely header to I think it was Tadic, who then decided to run across the box and it ended up in the net.

Fantastic footballer, never mind defender
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 11:19:51 pm by JayNY »

Offline sashraf1066

• Main Stander
« Reply #4099 on: December 24, 2018, 11:30:52 pm »
Not wearing the armband isn't hampering his performances. Lets leave it be.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4100 on: December 24, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »
I think he's the only center half I've ever seen actually direct his defensive headers - he doesn't just head them up and away, he actually directs/cushions/lays them off to a team mate. Check out Salah's first goal against Southampton last season: from our corner, he laid off a lovely header to I think it was Tadic, who then decided to run across the box and it ended up in the net.

Fantastic footballer, never mind defender

His headed clearance/passes are a thing of beauty.

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
« Reply #4101 on: December 25, 2018, 02:00:12 pm »
What a guy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZsOouiwd8gg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZsOouiwd8gg</a>

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #4102 on: December 25, 2018, 04:08:10 pm »

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #4103 on: December 26, 2018, 03:32:39 am »
This guy simply has to be made captain. He gets it. I remember Joyce writing that after the Southampton game at home last season VVD said as he was leaving the pitch ‘who wouldn’t want to play here’. This guy is a once in a generation defender. He is a winne, leader, I can’t run out of compliments for him. Our best signing since Suarez.
what about Mo and Sadio(possibly) Alisson,Keita,Fab? They are all top top signings.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4104 on: December 26, 2018, 05:11:05 pm »
That moment when he was wrestling with a Geordie on the half way line and calmly wraps his leg round him to volley the ball to the feet of (I think) Robertson 20 yards away, calm as you like. I mean seriously.

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4105 on: December 26, 2018, 05:14:47 pm »
Probably not human. A god among defenders, week after week. Does he pay the opposition to cross it onto his head? How else to explain the fact that he is always there?

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4106 on: December 26, 2018, 05:16:27 pm »
Another clean sheet for The Colossus.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4107 on: December 26, 2018, 05:17:30 pm »
Loved his surging runs forward.

Got a taste for the goals now I think.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4108 on: December 26, 2018, 05:19:03 pm »
What is even left to say about him, just an amazing player who never seemed ruffled. Does everything at his own pace

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4109 on: December 26, 2018, 05:20:41 pm »
Rafa decided not to even waste Rondon against him.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4110 on: December 26, 2018, 05:40:54 pm »
Let's hope he stays fit. I hope we rest him, eventually. He has played all but one game, I think.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4111 on: December 26, 2018, 05:50:59 pm »
Let's hope he stays fit. I hope we rest him, eventually. He has played all but one game, I think.
Doesn't really need one. He's not human, and he walks around for 90 minutes apart from a couple of brief sprints.

For the first 10 games or so, I thought Gomez had been our best defender. And then Virgil got a bit sharper. He looks absolutely phenomenal at the moment. Though he did get sucked under that one cross.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Djimi Smicer34

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4112 on: December 26, 2018, 05:53:51 pm »
Best CB in the world.

By a distance.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4113 on: December 26, 2018, 05:55:05 pm »

I'm guessing centre back is the outfield position least in need of rest what with, I assume, less sprints and less distance covered? If he does need resting I wonder if he could be brought off on 60 once in a while if we're cruising, or is swapping centre backs midgame not the done thing due to being vulnerable while the new player adapts to the pace of the game?

Offline SinceSixtyFive

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We are Liverpool. Resistance is futile.
« Reply #4114 on: December 26, 2018, 05:55:22 pm »
He looked pretty determined to keep his goal "run" going today.

And if our Colossus gets determined about something? Well... who can stand in his way?

Expect a few more before the end of the season  ;D

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4115 on: December 26, 2018, 05:55:36 pm »
Our Hypia and Carra pairing is the strongest I’ve seen a defence in my lifetime. The likes of Hansen and further before that, Big Ron Yeats were all a bit before my time..... but at his best, Van Dijk’s got a good shout of being arguably Liverpool’s greatest centre back if he maintains this in his Liverpool career?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4116 on: December 26, 2018, 05:58:53 pm »
Our Hypia and Carra pairing is the strongest I’ve seen a defence in my lifetime. The likes of Hansen and further before that, Big Ron Yeats were all a bit before my time..... but at his best, Van Dijk’s got a good shout of being arguably Liverpool’s greatest centre back if he maintains this in his Liverpool career?

Well Franco Baresi is the best centre back I've ever seen (watching footie since late 80s) and the only reason I'm not putting VvD up there with him is it's only been a year at this insane level (I think he's stepped up since his Saints and Celtic days). Give it another 2 years of this and I'd say VvD is up there as the best I've ever seen. Anywhere.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4117 on: December 26, 2018, 06:02:44 pm »
Our Hypia and Carra pairing is the strongest I’ve seen a defence in my lifetime. The likes of Hansen and further before that, Big Ron Yeats were all a bit before my time..... but at his best, he’s got a good shout of being arguably Liverpool’s greatest centre back if he maintains this in his Liverpool career?

Sami and Carra are part of the legends of this club and won many trophies on big big nights for the club. I loved them both, but make no mistake, Van Dijk is a few levels above either of them as a player. They both played in teams which weren’t as attack minded as ours is now. The best defence before this current one was probably Rafa’s back on 06/07. But this one is better - it’s remarkable because it’s the most attack minded defence I’ve seen! Alisson, the fullbacks, the CBs - all top class defensively but all top class when it comes to setting up our attacking play too.

Van Dijk’s at the heart of it - he’s the heart of the team at the moment. If he stays fit for the rest of the season we’re going to be having some big nights in May.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4118 on: December 26, 2018, 06:02:52 pm »

I don't think I've seen a centreback this dominant for us an someone who has improved the whole defence like Van Dijk. Loved Hyypia but he was bought by Houllier who tended to focus on that anyway and had Henchoz beside him but who was an excellent defender but lacked the pace and ability on the ball Van Dijk has. Literally has everything you could want in a defender, I couldn't say that about anyone else I've seen (although I'm too young to remember Hansen).
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline slotmachine

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4119 on: December 26, 2018, 06:10:05 pm »
Though he did get sucked under that one cross.

No he was in the perfect position defending the space inside to out. That was just a worldie of a cross from Ritchie with loads of pace and a lower trajectory. Ritchie put another couple of quality crosses in which was their only threat.