Author Topic: Name the best and the worst World Cup so far  (Read 6843 times)

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Name the best and the worst World Cup so far
« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2022, 02:05:42 pm »
Usa 94 was brilliant, Maradona starting on fire then drug banned, Romania and Bulgaria ripping it up with Hagi and Stoichkov, Sweden having a great tournament, the irish, Romario vs Baggio , some cracking goals and big upsets. England werent there too, which made the coverage much more even. The only disappointment was the final, but they all are.

Each to their own, but I thought it was shite. The less said about the final, the better.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2022, 02:06:04 pm »
  2014 ran out of puff late on, but having said that they did produce the greatest game of them all

Dunno...

Hungary/Uruguay(reigning champions) in 1954 was supposed to be brilliant, we should ask Black Bull... :D
Brazil/Italy in 1982
Brazil/Netherlands in 1974
France/W Germany in 1982

Assuming you're referencing Germany absolutely pantsing Brazil 7-1, greatness implies at least some measure of a contest, no?

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2022, 02:24:51 pm »
I suppose there are types of greatness but for sheer jawdroppingness there’ll never be anything like it.  I suppose Liverpool have got close twice in recent years but even those didn’t have that element of utter horror to them.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2022, 02:39:41 pm »
The one I enjoyed most at the time was 1998 because I bought the shirt and watched it with my mates. But I think all things being equal, the top three are:

1970. Peak Brazil, probably a better England team than 1966, Beckenbauer/Muller West Germany, an Italy side based around 60's Inter and the title-winning Calgiari team, plus The Game of the Century, that demolition final, West Germany pulling back a two-goal deficit against England and arguably the best team, goal and save ever. Lots of goals and the small numbers meant it felt suitably epic. There's a great book about the tournament, Back Home, by Jeff Dawson and I recommend it.

1986. The other Mexico tournament and probably the greatest ever conflagration of great international teams. Maradona's Argentina, that formidable West German team that got to six finals in eight tournaments, Platini's French Euro '84 winners, Danish Dynamite, Tele Santana's Brazil (this time with Careca), the World Cup holers Italy, an England team with packed with flair players and, a Portuguese team with six starters for the next European Cup winners some decent outsiders like Spain, USSR, Uruguay and Scotland. Again, lots of goals, some great games and a lot of memorable moments.

1982. Again, all of the above but probably hampered by the stupid rules. Brazil v Italy and West Germany v France up there with the best games ever.

Worst I remember is 2010 but to be honest I don't think many have been very good the last few years. Too many teams, countries that have no business holding it and players who are exhausted.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2022, 02:57:23 pm »
Yeah, '94 for me as well, for all the reasons above.  As for worst, maybe 2014 as I can't remember any of it (Was that were Iceland beat England?).

Idk, i quite enjoyed 2014. I think it was the best of all 2000s and 2010s
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #85 on: November 27, 2022, 03:46:54 pm »
I suppose what this thread is saying is that if I give up modern day football, there is enough archive footage to get me to my end. Some games I may not even know the score. Hell, I could probably watch the last 50 years of South American club football.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline 19th Nervous Title

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2022, 04:10:23 pm »
For me the best was 98, and the worst got to be 2010

What's your take?

Which games did you go to in 2010?
Emily Hobhouse. Britain's finest.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2022, 06:08:32 pm »
Best I would say '06 as I dont really remember '98. Although I was really excited about '02, in hindsight it was ruined by referee decisions so its the worst imo
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2022, 06:15:10 pm »
For me the best was 98, and the worst got to be 2010

What's your take?
I’m now a bit confused— is it for the quality of football on show or for/including other things?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 07:22:38 pm by Red Bird »

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2022, 06:37:36 pm »
82 for me. That Brazil team was just amazing. All were superstars and easily (for me) should have won the whole thing. Also loved Gerry Armstrong’s goal for 10 man Northern Ireland beating the host nation. But, on Brazil, also hard to argue against ‘70.  Feels like, more recently, playing European football somehow changed the Brazilians.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2022, 06:42:09 pm »
the ball that was like one of those 50p balls you bought that bent every way and direction after a toepoke
Oh man, I’d forgotten about that.  For a while there was always some stupid new innovation that they hadn’t even trialled beforehand and that fucked up a load of the early matches.  I remember a crackdown on high feet or something at USA, leading to Zola coming on for Italy and being sent off immediately for nothing much, then Baggio being subbed off cos they were down to ten men.  It was actually pretty good drama because Italy were hanging by a thread, but that was purely accidental.  He never really get a chance in a World Cup poor lad.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2022, 07:22:49 pm »
Best for me would be a toss up between 78 and 82, but the Brazilian team in 82 were great, and Socrates remains one of my favourite all time players so it really needs to be 82.

It will go a long way to get any worse than the current tournament, but FIFA will no doubt get there with the next one, as they seem to be getting steadily worse. People may go the games now, but there don't seem to be any fans. The atmosphere is more like a test match at some games. It seems to have been like for a few tournaments now.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2022, 07:29:45 pm »
Best - Italia 90

Worst - South Africa 2010

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2022, 07:43:27 pm »
The 1978 world cup did introduce my favourite ball ever

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2022, 07:56:03 pm »
2002 was my favourite one. Just looks great

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2022, 08:04:12 pm »

Is that cos it looks remarkably like the Cream logo, ya bad raver?!

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2022, 08:11:50 pm »
2002 was the first time they used panels that were stitched on or some bullshit to make it aerodynamically fly acrss the air.

Offline jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2022, 08:13:07 pm »
Argentina 78 was a good watch..some cracking goals..
Scotland couldn't beat Iran but then beat Holland, who went on to make the final
Often forgotten the excellent Robbie Rensenbrink hit the post in the last minute of the final for Holland before losing in extra time

Espana 82
the 2nd group stage paired Brazil Argentina Italy...
All 3 were classic matches
Maradona sent off versus Brazil
Zico was brilliant in every game, what a player he was

Not seen a better WC since those two

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2022, 08:15:27 pm »
Best - Italia 90

There were some great results in 90, but much of the football was rather stale
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2022, 08:31:17 pm »
Can only go on ones I’m old enough to have watched at the time.

Best - Germany 2006

I tend to enjoy the Euros more. Euro 2008 remains the best tournament I’ve ever seen.

Vuvuzelas !

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2022, 08:32:12 pm »
The 1978 world cup did introduce my favourite ball ever

Iconic football!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2022, 08:55:34 pm »
A story from USA 94.

The International secretary from the company i worked for took a day off to go watch Brazil train. Probably couldn't do that nowadays. I think it was a Quarter Final match. She was from Guatemala and was a big and I mean BIG Romario fan. Anyway, she comes back to work the next day. Tells me that Brazil went through their warmups, etc. Then they brought the dogs out. Literally. She told me she couldn't believe it but Brazil trained with dogs. Rondo's to keep the ball away from the dogs. Dribbling and passing between teammates past them. Running sprints to keep control of the ball whilst the dog was nipping at their feet/ball. She said now she understood why Brazilian players were so good with either foot and so quick to use either one.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2022, 08:58:50 pm »

1970 Adidas Telstar, an all time classic football.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2022, 09:08:07 pm »
1930 or 1938 balls for me.  The 1962 ball looks like it should come with a police warning about a dodgy batch circulating at Glastonbury.

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2022, 09:16:45 pm »
1958 for me. keep it simple.

the tango and questra balls were great.

best footballs of all time: adidas tango and questra, the Nike one from the late 90s that just had the Nike tick on it and that Uhlsport one they used in serie a in the 90s.

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2022, 09:27:05 pm »
There’s something magic looking at the evolution of the old footballs. I Love that, especially compared to the crap about WC22 and FSG exit etc.   Football used to be much more simple/basic/romantic. I miss it.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2022, 09:27:38 pm »
Vuvuzelas !

The only good thing about that tournament was Suarez the crazy bastard  ;D
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2022, 10:41:20 pm »
best thing about the 1994 world cup was that England werent in it.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2022, 10:42:36 pm »

That’s why it goes down as one of the worst. Missed our swashbuckling brand of football.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2022, 10:43:19 pm »
That’s why it goes down as one of the worst. Missed our swashbuckling brand of football.

"Do I not swash that buckle?"
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2022, 11:00:57 pm »
It was rubbish. It was so hot no one could play proper football.  Matches were earlier in the day for European audiences so at peak heat times

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2022, 07:00:37 am »
Difficult to choose the best. I have enjoyed all World Cups I have watched.

Worst? I'd have said this one, but I have been enjoying the upsets and the general mockery.

Offline child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2022, 08:02:58 am »

The Roteiro ball for Euro 2004 was amazing too. I still have it somewhere at home.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2022, 09:06:35 am »
There were some great results in 90, but much of the football was rather stale

Italia 90 was largely dull boring football, Argentina spawned their way to the final, scoring only 2 goals in the knockout rounds, Cameroon vs England was the only decent match in the knockout rounds, most of the group matches were a snooze fest too, although Italia 90 was the last world cup to feature USSR & Yugoslavia

US 94 was dull to, largely affected by the heat & humidity, like Ireland playing their match in Florida in June with a midday kickoff, the final too midday kickoff in LA in July, with temperatures 38C[or 100F] at kickoff time
#Sausages

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2022, 09:41:14 am »
The semis in 1990 were both epics, though possibly the occasion more than the match for the Italy-Argentina one.  You’ll forgive that though if it’s meaningful.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2022, 12:27:18 pm »
Just for pure nostalgia France 98 was the best for me. It was my first real World Cup, I remember parts of USA 94 but with France 98, I had the sticker album, the Coins, I remember everything about it! The BBC intro music, the starting line ups, the kits, the results, the lot!

Worst was 2002 for me. I was doing my GCSE exams at the exact same time and due to the time difference hardly saw any games. I also remember the final being really one sided. I remember being really let down after my wonderful memories of 98

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2022, 02:13:52 pm »
78-82-86 were my favourites because I was still a kid enjoying this weird, different thing (and my country actually qualified for them). 2006 was really good.

1994 & 2010 were awful for the actual football.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2022, 02:35:03 pm »
Each to their own, but I thought it was shite. The less said about the final, the better.

The competition was like a lovely cake with a rotten fruit (the final) on top
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2022, 03:57:20 pm »

Can't believe Diana Ross missed that penalty in the Final...

To be fair, the keeper was well off his line - and it should have been retaken...

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2022, 04:55:40 pm »
One great thing about '66 (although I thought the competition was a bit shit) was that Liverpool was the base for the Brazilians who played their group games at Goodison. Their fans were brilliant, and one of them gave one of my mates his massive conga drum before he went home.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.