Author Topic: Diamond Anniversary Draft (1962 - 2022)  (Read 10667 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Diamond Anniversary Draft (1962 - 2022)
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2022, 03:49:31 pm »
94?! Definitely not!

What a sight it would be mate. The 10 others on your team wouldn't know what to do.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2022, 03:52:23 pm »
I'm planning to have Neil Ruddock in there so I dont think it'd make for a good performance, much prefer 90-94 Razor
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JordanTremenderson

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2022, 05:23:59 pm »
Sorry guys I'm here

Do I have a pick?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2022, 05:25:02 pm »
2 Yeah, A manager and a player that hasn't played for him.

• Kopite
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2022, 05:25:54 pm »
2 Yeah, A manager and a player that hasn't played for him.

OK thanks, give me a few mins.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2022, 05:29:52 pm »
he's got two players to pick hasn't he?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2022, 05:40:58 pm »
Hang your head in shame Jordan.  :'(

• Kopite
« Reply #127 on: November 22, 2022, 05:43:03 pm »
If your shithouse teams with big stars think you can do it on a cold wet night in Stoke, then you have another thing coming for ya!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2022, 06:06:55 pm »
Awesome stuff Jordan! We know Gullit’s versatility in drafts. Will you be playing him in the Ricardo Fuller or Ryan Shawcross role?

• Kopite
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2022, 07:02:28 pm »
Awesome stuff Jordan! We know Gullit’s versatility in drafts. Will you be playing him in the Ricardo Fuller or Ryan Shawcross role?

Keeping my options open.

I feel it is what Big Tone would do!

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2022, 08:52:47 pm »
Betty picking his mate Deschamps.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2022, 09:00:02 pm »
no answer from betty or nicholls , shall i go?

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2022, 09:01:28 pm »
Might as well mate.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2022, 10:45:23 pm »
Betty picking his mate Deschamps.

Won't be able to pick Giroud though
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2022, 11:38:48 pm »
I get Pulis, but choosing Gullit, a player who famously believed in total football and who didn't get on with a lot of his managers? Not sure about that.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2022, 11:51:45 pm »
Do you not see the similarities between Gullit and Delap?

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
« Reply #136 on: November 23, 2022, 12:21:34 am »
Philanthropist (Diego Simeone) - Michel Platini ?, +1
Betty Blue (?) - +2

RobbieRedman (Bob Paisley) - Franco Baresi 88-92, Ronaldo?,
NICHOLLS1986 (Jurgen Klopp) - Hristo Stoichkov 90-94, Frank Rijkaard 88-92,
El Lobo (Johan Cruyff) - Diego Maradona 84-88,
Crosby Nick (Ottmar Hitzfeld) - Franz Beckenbauer 72-76,
Hazell (Valeriy Lobanovskyi) - Lothar Matthaus 88-92,
Samie (Tele Santana) - Ronaldinho 02-06,
Lastrador (Rinus Michels) - Alfredo Di Stefano 53-57,
JordanTremenderson (Tony Pulis) - Ruud Gullit ?,
Sheer Magnetism (Cesar Luis Menotti) - Lionel Messi 11-15,
vivabobbygraham (Bill Shankly) - Johan Cruyff 70-74,

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #137 on: November 23, 2022, 12:40:04 am »
I thought I'd already bowed out of this  :D  Still somewhat tempted, but I'm a bit confused about what the object of this draft is to be honest.

Are people meant to be picking the 'right' players as per the template of their chosen manager? Or just picking the best players they can think of to stick in their manager's team? e.g. Baresi is a fantastic trade in for Hansen, but Ronaldo (though no doubt a GOAT) has very little in common with Rushy in his style of play. I'm sure Bob could make use of him (who wouldn't), but then you could say that of any player in this. (sorry, not meaning to pick on you Robbie. I could criticize more picks, but then you'd all hate me  :P )

With that in mind, how will the teams be voted on at the end? If it's just going to 11 vs 11s then the teams with all the biggest names will no doubt win out. But if it's more about the team that best represents/fits with the philosophies of their manager then you probably need a big one off vote with all the teams in one thread to compare. Or even a fully transparent in-thread vote with discussion etc.

Just my two cents watching from the outside.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2022, 12:49:34 am »
It should be a vicious free for all with everyone callously taking apart each other's teams with regard to both ability and suitability. Forget a fully transparent in-thread vote, the best way of doing this would be anonymous comments.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2022, 01:56:17 am »
Yes, the evaluation will likely work best with in-thread critical analysis and debate (similar to the decade film drafts).

Drafters will have to defend their picks, sell how faithful they have been to their manager’s philosophy.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2022, 05:07:38 am »
I thought I'd already bowed out of this  :D  Still somewhat tempted, but I'm a bit confused about what the object of this draft is to be honest.

Are people meant to be picking the 'right' players as per the template of their chosen manager? Or just picking the best players they can think of to stick in their manager's team? e.g. Baresi is a fantastic trade in for Hansen, but Ronaldo (though no doubt a GOAT) has very little in common with Rushy in his style of play. I'm sure Bob could make use of him (who wouldn't), but then you could say that of any player in this. (sorry, not meaning to pick on you Robbie. I could criticize more picks, but then you'd all hate me  :P )

With that in mind, how will the teams be voted on at the end? If it's just going to 11 vs 11s then the teams with all the biggest names will no doubt win out. But if it's more about the team that best represents/fits with the philosophies of their manager then you probably need a big one off vote with all the teams in one thread to compare. Or even a fully transparent in-thread vote with discussion etc.

Frank Lampard incoming?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2022, 09:36:28 am »
Obviously not interested in Samies amateur Maradona advice but......for the more experienced generation, is 77-81 about right for Kennys peak? That seems like when he was at his goalscoring best and won a couple of European Cups, but then he seemed to be more individually celebrated in terms of awards in 1983 when he was runner up in the Ballon D'or and won the PFA/FWA Player of the Year?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2022, 09:59:46 am »
I got a PM from Haze saying I could go next and to skip him.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2022, 10:04:10 am »

Good point and you're right to use Ronaldo as an example. I'm confident however this will look a great Paisley team even with the luxury of Ronaldo by the time I'm finished.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2022, 10:06:57 am »
Beckenbauer for Sammer
Gerrard for Moller

I’d say I’ve fitted the brief so far. Will get trickier when trying to replace the less talented members of a Hitzfeld side. Surely there some licence (as Betty mentioned) to get significant upgrades in if you can, as long as they broadly fit the style of play?

• Kopite
« Reply #145 on: November 23, 2022, 10:50:03 am »
I get Pulis, but choosing Gullit, a player who famously believed in total football and who didn't get on with a lot of his managers? Not sure about that.

Brilliant in the air, one of the most complete players ever.

He'll be great.

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2022, 12:47:26 pm »
Philanthropist (Diego Simeone) - Michel Platini ?, +1
Betty Blue (?) - +2

RobbieRedman (Bob Paisley) - Franco Baresi 88-92, Ronaldo?,
NICHOLLS1986 (Jurgen Klopp) - Hristo Stoichkov 90-94, Frank Rijkaard 88-92,
El Lobo (Johan Cruyff) - Diego Maradona 84-88, Kenny Dalglish 77-81,
Crosby Nick (Ottmar Hitzfeld) - Franz Beckenbauer 72-76, Steven Gerrard 05-09,
Hazell (Valeriy Lobanovskyi) - Lothar Matthaus 88-92, +1
Samie (Tele Santana) - Ronaldinho 02-06, Andrea Pirlo 11-15,
Lastrador (Rinus Michels) - Alfredo Di Stefano 53-57,
JordanTremenderson (Tony Pulis) - Ruud Gullit ?,
Sheer Magnetism (Cesar Luis Menotti) - Lionel Messi 11-15,
vivabobbygraham (Bill Shankly) - Johan Cruyff 70-74,

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2022, 01:58:40 pm »
Obviously not interested in Samies amateur Maradona advice but......for the more experienced generation, is 77-81 about right for Kennys peak? That seems like when he was at his goalscoring best and won a couple of European Cups, but then he seemed to be more individually celebrated in terms of awards in 1983 when he was runner up in the Ballon D'or and won the PFA/FWA Player of the Year?
Depends where you're planning to use him. He started out as a skilled number nine (around the first era) and evolved into an intelligent support striker when Rush emerged.

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2022, 02:05:37 pm »
Ronaldos best years? Im looking at early 90's vs early 00's

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2022, 02:06:40 pm »
94-98?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: November 23, 2022, 02:09:57 pm »
94-98?
yeah i'll go with that, more pace and aggression, his coach Bob will love that

thanks mate

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: November 23, 2022, 02:17:02 pm »
Ronaldo again is probably dependant on who he's 'replacing'. 94-98 he was just a freak of nature in Holland, Italy and Spain but then got his injuries and you've then got 2002-2006 where he won most of his major titles and was a bit more dependant on his ridiculous ability without being as quick.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2022, 03:42:56 pm »
Beckenbauer for Sammer
Gerrard for Moller

I’d say I’ve fitted the brief so far. Will get trickier when trying to replace the less talented members of a Hitzfeld side. Surely there some licence (as Betty mentioned) to get significant upgrades in if you can, as long as they broadly fit the style of play?

I think with Hitzfeld because he had a number of successful teams who all played a similar approach, you should be able to make a fairly good estimation of the style of play/attributes of the guys he liked in each position. Irrespective of talent. For example, at fullback he always had wingbacks who would be the main providers of width for his side. The likes of Lizarazu, Reuter, and even Tarnat. So you definitely don't want to picking a player like Berti Vogts there for example.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2022, 06:37:32 pm »
Heighway/Hall
Cally/ Thompson
Cruyff/Salah
St. John/Keegan/Suarez

“My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Had Napoleon had that idea he would have conquered the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in.”

“A football team is like a piano. You need eight men to carry it and three who can play the damn thing.”

“Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple.”

“For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting
the other side.”

“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2022, 06:44:35 pm »

Having only to pick 4 years for legends such as this is hard as it will be for everyone. But he was fucking mustard in the years you have picked

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #155 on: November 23, 2022, 10:27:18 pm »
Why’s Hazell picking after Bobby?

• Kopite
« Reply #156 on: November 23, 2022, 10:32:12 pm »
Whose go is it? 

I'm confused.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: November 23, 2022, 10:37:50 pm »
I missed my pick earlier so just catching up. Whoever was after Bobby is who's turn it is.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #158 on: November 23, 2022, 10:39:21 pm »
I missed my pick earlier so just catching up. Whoever was after Bobby is who's turn it is.

Apology accepted.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: November 23, 2022, 11:58:55 pm »
Why’s Hazell picking after Bobby?

I was late. Sheer jumped in and would have messaged whoever was next up I assume?