Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 984288 times)

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #1040 on: December 20, 2020, 12:02:34 pm »
I like using 2ppg as a benchmark too for some reason. Just say we do that for the rest of the season, we’ll get to 79 points. I think we’ll end up more but I think getting 90 seems difficult. Either way, all the rest clearly have less margin for error.

As for City, 8 clean sheets in 9 I heard. Does that include CL games too? Should that be anything for concern or are they more likely to start conceding more before they fix their attacking woes (even Palace have scored as many as them!).

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #1041 on: December 20, 2020, 01:47:42 pm »
As for City, 8 clean sheets in 9 I heard. Does that include CL games too? Should that be anything for concern or are they more likely to start conceding more before they fix their attacking woes (even Palace have scored as many as them!).

Would have to; they only conceded once in their first group game and kept 5 clean sheets. In the league they have only recently conceded against Brom since they played us 5-6 weeks ago.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1042 on: December 20, 2020, 02:03:24 pm »
Would have to; they only conceded once in their first group game and kept 5 clean sheets. In the league they have only recently conceded against Brom since they played us 5-6 weeks ago.

And Tottenham too.

Since playing us they have kept clean sheets in the league against Burnley, Fulham, United, and Southampton. So not exactly the best of the best

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1043 on: December 21, 2020, 09:51:21 am »
Staying with my ManU supporting brother in law at the moment, just discussing how Utd have come up on the rails of late out of nowhere.

That game versus them takes on far more significance now. I don't think they'll be there at the end of the season, but cannot ignore them completely.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline drirfan

• Main Stander
  • From doubters to believers
« Reply #1044 on: December 21, 2020, 11:55:34 am »
Staying with my ManU supporting brother in law at the moment, just discussing how Utd have come up on the rails of late out of nowhere.

That game versus them takes on far more significance now. I don't think they'll be there at the end of the season, but cannot ignore them completely.

We can definitely ignore them as long as Ole is at the wheel

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1045 on: December 21, 2020, 12:04:10 pm »
We can definitely ignore them as long as Ole is at the wheel

We are cruising in a Ferrari in 1st gear. Ole has his foot full down on the gas of his clown car to try and sidle up next to us - the whole thing is rattling, plumes of smoke are coming from the engine, a back wheel has just come off and is bouncing down the road and the cassette player is starting to chew up the best of Simply Red tape that is blasting out of the broken windows.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1046 on: December 21, 2020, 12:18:14 pm »
We are cruising in a Ferrari in 1st gear. Ole has his foot full down on the gas of his clown car to try and sidle up next to us - the whole thing is rattling, plumes of smoke are coming from the engine, a back wheel has just come off and is bouncing down the road and the cassette player is starting to chew up the best of Simply Red tape that is blasting out of the broken windows.

;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1047 on: December 21, 2020, 12:21:01 pm »

vivid imagery
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline drirfan

• Main Stander
  • From doubters to believers
« Reply #1048 on: December 21, 2020, 12:22:05 pm »

:lmao

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1049 on: December 21, 2020, 12:35:35 pm »
It’s a very tight season. The gap between top and 10th is just 10 points. City and us have not been as dominant as we have been the past two seasons. The rests are beating one another. Leicester ... currently 2nd, have already lost 5 times in 14 games. Lost to Everton at home then went to Spurs and won. Spurs ... top last weekend have 1 point from 9 the last 3 games and now down to 5th. Of course it’s better to be at the top than be 8th. Even better when it looks like we are heating up and hitting form and Virgil and Joe aside, injured players slowly but surely are coming back and off form key players looking like they’re getting back in stride

After 24-25 games, I think we can see a clearer picture of who are the contenders and who are just pretenders. Now ... it’s just chatter. Pundits are just guessing and speculating as we all are. It’s all about picking up points when we should. Draws at Brighton and Fulham were points unexpectedly dropped that must not be repeated
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:24:57 pm by MNAA »
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Andypandimonium

• Kopite
« Reply #1050 on: December 21, 2020, 12:39:22 pm »

We're about to go up a few gears. Should Ole pull in for a pit-stop?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1051 on: December 21, 2020, 12:46:38 pm »
It’s a very tight season. The gap between top and 10th is just 10 points. City and us have not been as dominant as we have been the past two seasons. The rests are beating one another. Leicester ... currently 2nd, have already lost 5 times in 14 games. Lost to Everton at home then went to Spurs and won. Spurs ... top last weekend have 1 point from 9 the last 3 games and now down to 5th. Of course it’s better to be at the top than be 8th. Even better when it looks like we are heating up and hitting form and Virgil and Joe aside, injured players slowly but surely are coming back and off form key players looking like they’re getting back in stride

After 24-25 games, I think we can see a clearer picture of who are the contenders and who are just pretenders. Now ... it’s just chatter. Pundits are just guessing and speculating as we all are. It’s all about picking up points when we should. Draws at Brighton and Fulham were points unexpected points dropped that must not be repeated

Very true that. Say we go at 2 points a game for the next ten. That would mean by that 24 game mark we’d very likely be top. I’d be surprised if more than one team would pick up the necessary 24+ points over the same period to overtake us. At the very worst we’d be a couple of points off the top.

I hadn’t actually thought about the run in for a long time but don’t we have United away very late this year, like in the last 3 or 4 games?

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1052 on: December 21, 2020, 12:48:29 pm »

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1053 on: December 21, 2020, 12:54:36 pm »
Beat west brom with a Leicester united draw and the daylight extends more. I think the two Manchester clubs will chase us down but with Thiago and Joto coming back soon and the January window to review what our squad needs I think this has our name all over it

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
« Reply #1054 on: December 21, 2020, 01:17:10 pm »
One game at a time. Bollocks to the rest of them.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1055 on: December 21, 2020, 01:44:51 pm »
Very true that. Say we go at 2 points a game for the next ten. That would mean by that 24 game mark we’d very likely be top. I’d be surprised if more than one team would pick up the necessary 24+ points over the same period to overtake us. At the very worst we’d be a couple of points off the top.

I hadn’t actually thought about the run in for a long time but don’t we have United away very late this year, like in the last 3 or 4 games?
Match-day 33 I believe. And we may have Virgil ready by then  8)
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1056 on: December 21, 2020, 01:49:56 pm »
It'll be funny when United fall away in a few weeks time and Ole is near the sack again.

Anybody worried about them needs to give their head a wobble.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1057 on: December 21, 2020, 01:51:55 pm »
Just seen the latest Virgil rehab video. The guy is an absolute mentality and physical monster. It's less than 8 weeks since this injury and at this rate he'll be back by March time. Number 20 here we come.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1058 on: December 21, 2020, 01:56:24 pm »
He won't be playing this season.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #1059 on: December 21, 2020, 02:13:12 pm »
Just seen the latest Virgil rehab video. The guy is an absolute mentality and physical monster. It's less than 8 weeks since this injury and at this rate he'll be back by March time. Number 20 here we come.
Thing is, the new ligament won't be strong enough for the first 6 months after the operation, so it's very rare that anyone comes back before that. Our club under Jürgen has been extra cautious with players coming back from injury so there is really nothing to indicate that Virgil will play this season. Unfortunately, Euro 2021 starts at the exact time when he should be ready to play football, so we'll probably see him playing there.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #1060 on: December 21, 2020, 03:42:58 pm »
And the cops are just waving them on, while stopping us constantly to issue tickets, while choirs of traffic wardens seranade them as they pass.

Yet still we're ahead and pulling away further
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1061 on: December 22, 2020, 11:39:52 pm »
He being Virgil?
I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that if I were you mate.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #1062 on: December 22, 2020, 11:54:46 pm »

As it's panto season ...

Oh yes he will.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1063 on: December 23, 2020, 05:04:11 am »
He being Virgil?
I wouldn't bet a lot of money on that if I were you mate.
I would. The issue is that he has to be registered with the PL for the second half of the season. Expecting him to play means that one spot in the 25-men team has to be saved for him. This means that the team would be slightly handicapped for a long period before he returns, not being able to call on the 25th player, just so that VVD would play a game or two, or a handful at most.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1064 on: December 23, 2020, 06:51:28 am »

:lmao :lmao :champ

Offline him_15

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1065 on: December 23, 2020, 08:20:59 am »
Ole, catch us if you can.
Believer

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1066 on: December 23, 2020, 08:49:53 am »
I fully believe we are going to win the league but my only concern is for those big games against City, at Utd, Spurs etc. especially if Matip isnt fit. We still are giving away some big chances so we just have to be wary how these games can be close.

We still need another centre half, more so for the CL.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1067 on: December 23, 2020, 11:01:26 am »
I'm 100% convinced we will sign a centre half in January. Would be bordering on reckless and ineptitude not to. Whether that is a stop gap or long term option is a different matter.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1068 on: December 23, 2020, 11:21:18 am »
Surely a new centre half is imperative. There is a world in which we're lucky where Matip/Fabinho/Rhys/Phillips could possibly be enough for the next 5 months, but it isn't happening is it? Not with Matip.

Fabinho is world class and has been incredible at centre back, this spell of his LFC career won't be forgotten, but it'd be nice for some games to even have the option of putting him back in midfield, and a new centre back could provide that 'luxury' - or at times partner him or one of the younger lads at the back. If we do get a new lad in and he hits the ground running alongside Matip, it'd be delightful.

After the window opens we'll still have a big 22 league games, and the two leg tie with Leipzig, with hopefully more football in that regard, that's a lot of matches. I'd really like it to be a situation similar to Van Dijk where he was signed and ready to go straight away, but suspect we'll tie someone up in January 
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1069 on: December 23, 2020, 12:05:24 pm »
I fully believe we are going to win the league but my only concern is for those big games against City, at Utd, Spurs etc. especially if Matip isnt fit. We still are giving away some big chances so we just have to be wary how these games can be close.

We still need another centre half, more so for the CL.
I'd be very surprised if we don't buy one as soon as we can in the transfer window. Edwards and his team have had at least a couple of months since Virgil/Joe's injuries to draw up a shortlist (which they probably had already as they're so thorough). The question is whether they go for a more senior/experienced (and relatively cheap) short-term signing in the 27-30 bracket or whether we look at a younger option around 23-27, with an eye on the future. I'd go for the latter as we have some promising youngsters coming through, and I'm sure Klopp will know plenty of seasoned pros who can do a job for 6 months and then be a squad player next season.

The risk of a new player bedding in is partly mitigated by Fabinho being able to play DM and give protection, which in turn allows us to rotate Wijnaldum/Henderson more, and use Keita/Jones/Ox/Milner when needed depending on the opposition.

It would be like signing a new CB and new DM in one go, and I'm sure Klopp/Edwards will identify someone with the right physical/mental attributes to cope with the run-in at a big club.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1070 on: December 23, 2020, 12:06:50 pm »
I get overwhelmed by how much I love this current squad that we have. From back to front they're all absolutely incredible.

Offline s_andrews89

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #1071 on: December 23, 2020, 12:08:23 pm »
Surely a new centre half is imperative. There is a world in which we're lucky where Matip/Fabinho/Rhys/Phillips could possibly be enough for the next 5 months, but it isn't happening is it? Not with Matip.

Fabinho is world class and has been incredible at centre back, this spell of his LFC career won't be forgotten, but it'd be nice for some games to even have the option of putting him back in midfield, and a new centre back could provide that 'luxury' - or at times partner him or one of the younger lads at the back. If we do get a new lad in and he hits the ground running alongside Matip, it'd be delightful.

After the window opens we'll still have a big 22 league games, and the two leg tie with Leipzig, with hopefully more football in that regard, that's a lot of matches. I'd really like it to be a situation similar to Van Dijk where he was signed and ready to go straight away, but suspect we'll tie someone up in January

I started this whole scenario thinking we'd not bother with a new centre half in January. Aiming to stick with the four you've mentioned. With Jordan and Billy/VdB if needed too.

I do think this season being closer will aid the 'look we need a centre half' statements inside the club too, along with the idea that we get someone in and that allows fab to move back into the middle.

I do wonder however the sort of player we'll go for though. a left sided CB is going to know that as soon as Virgil is back he's going to be 2nd choice on that side. So a younger player is unlikely an option? A Klavan style older stop gap doesn't seem the way this team is going now? Oddly, as much as I thought it was bonkers over the summer, a player like Thiago Silva who's seen it and done it might have been perfect?!

Either way, whatever happens, whoever we bring in in January and I'm sure we will... Come may they'll have a PL champs medal!

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1072 on: December 23, 2020, 12:14:37 pm »
The danger is we effectively give up on one of the CL or the PL if we don't sign someone because it's perhaps not realistic to expect Matip to play two games a week in the crunch weeks when we've got CL knockout games and increasingly (as the season gets later and later) important PL games. And while the backup CBs have done a good job I'd find it pretty difficult to imagine a scenario where a defence of Fabinho and Williams/Philips wins a quarter/ semi final CL tie against one of the best teams in Europe. That's ignoring the very real injury risk to Fab/Matip and the opportunity cost of putting Fabinho, our best 6 (defensively) at CB.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1073 on: December 23, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »
No objection in principle to bringing in a new CB but they clearly have to be good enough to be worth picking up in the first place.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1074 on: December 23, 2020, 12:25:59 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't' sign someone in January.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #1075 on: December 23, 2020, 02:00:48 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't' sign someone in January.
Me neither. It wouldn't be that simple either. Right now we could offer very good chances to play for an ambitious player, but with Gomez and VVD back the competition is incredible. I don't think we would pay huge money and wages for a player that could be 3rd or 4th option in 6 months, nor would top players want that role. Some of the names mentioned are completely unrealistic IMO.

The best solution would probably be an experienced older player looking for an adventure. Like Klavan but a bit better.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #1076 on: December 23, 2020, 04:41:12 pm »
The best solution would probably be an experienced older player looking for an adventure. Like Klavan but a bit better.
Exactly - if we can get a player that fits Klopp's profile and has been around the block a bit (and is durable), then it's worth it in my view. The youngsters won't see it as a path-blocker for them, we get to move Fabinho forward, rotate the midfield, and have even more cover if we get further injuries. It would also be someone that could help us ease Virgil and Joe back in next season.

Shame Thiago Silva isn't available as he would've been almost perfect, and would probably have jumped at the chance for his final year or two with us.  A free signing of similar quality would be great please Michael   8)
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1077 on: December 23, 2020, 06:33:54 pm »
Does anyone know if the season is stopped / cancelled due to Covid how much needs to have been played for it to be ‘counted’
I think the proposal was for 50 % which is 5 more games but I can’t find if it was adopted or not?

The way it’s going in the UK there’s must be a chance of a stoppage at some point over the winter and theres very little slack in the calendar

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1078 on: December 23, 2020, 06:38:06 pm »
Fromola, look!!!

Does anyone know if the season is stopped / cancelled due to Covid how much needs to have been played for it to be ‘counted’
I think the proposal was for 50 % which is 5 more games but I can’t find if it was adopted or not?

The way it’s going in the UK there’s must be a chance of a stoppage at some point over the winter and theres very little slack in the calendar

The beacons are lit!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1079 on: December 23, 2020, 07:42:37 pm »

The beacons are lit!

Lol.... de-fault the 2 sweetest words in the English language