Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1339100 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee
« Reply #16040 on: November 12, 2022, 10:46:52 pm »
Not giving a penalty isn't a "clear and obvious error"? How Saliba didn't give one or get sent off is pathetic.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16041 on: November 13, 2022, 11:47:37 am »
Not giving a penalty isn't a "clear and obvious error"? How Saliba didn't give one or get sent off is pathetic.
Just saw the reasoning given on Match of the day. If referee has given wrong decision then isn't this is what VAR is for?

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #16044 on: November 14, 2022, 07:21:11 pm »
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
« Reply #16045 on: November 14, 2022, 07:40:26 pm »
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12747374/ref-watch-did-arsenal-tottenham-get-lucky-and-why-werent-brighton-given-penalty-dermot-gallagher-assesses

Jeez.
He's full of shit too. The flag clearly goes up after the foul in the Arsenal game. In their explanation they said it wasn't offside but they didn't think it was a foul. Dermot talking pure ring on that one. He must be a Tory.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16046 on: November 15, 2022, 09:47:52 am »
He's full of shit too. The flag clearly goes up after the foul in the Arsenal game. In their explanation they said it wasn't offside but they didn't think it was a foul. Dermot talking pure ring on that one. He must be a Tory.

the mental gymnastics they play to justify why the decision on the pitch and VAR is right 99% of the time is a sight to behold.  The 1% where they say an error has been made is usually caveated with some bollocks which makes very little sense.

I end up watching this just for comedy value, because there is no way any of this can be taken seriously

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16047 on: November 21, 2022, 03:14:35 pm »
lol VAR. It's a shocking system. Has got to go. Although the bemusement of the commentators is quite amusing to listen too.

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #16048 on: November 21, 2022, 08:37:09 pm »
var is great shows how refs linesman are corrupt

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #16049 on: November 21, 2022, 10:10:23 pm »
Was talking to a rugby fan at the weekend. Many say how it works well there. He thinks it's ruined the game. According to him the dark arts are a major part of the game and var ruins that.
I hate rugby so no idea if it's a valid point. Just thought I'd throw it in here.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #16050 on: November 26, 2022, 12:56:27 am »
As this thread has hardly been bumped since the Sports Washing Cup has started, I take it there's been no controversies with VAR. ( I haven't read the match thread for the SWC).
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16051 on: November 26, 2022, 02:09:52 am »
As this thread has hardly been bumped since the Sports Washing Cup has started, I take it there's been no controversies with VAR. ( I haven't read the match thread for the SWC).

There have been plenty. I'm guessing most of the conversation has been in there because there have been lots of inconsistencies, some very soft overturned decisions and lots of delays.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #16052 on: November 28, 2022, 06:34:54 am »
I'm a fan of the semi-automatic offsides. Takes the decision out of the hands of a bent 5th official drawing slopey lines on a screen to suit his bent agenda.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16053 on: November 28, 2022, 07:51:30 am »
I'm a fan of the semi-automatic offsides. Takes the decision out of the hands of a bent 5th official drawing slopey lines on a screen to suit his bent agenda.
If only there was a way to have an automated referee, we might actually have a fair game. ( Apart from all the off field cheating of course)

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16054 on: November 28, 2022, 10:11:47 am »
I saw a short clip on Twatter that showed one of the offsides from the Argentina defeat against Saudi Arabia.  It looked onside but was given offside by about 2mm of t-shirt line on the arm.  I'd have been very annoyed had it been given against us.  There also seemed to be a lot of noise about some Iranian defenders having a ride on Buffalo Maguire from a corner that VAR didn't intervene on.

I'm sure there have been loads more but I've not been watching so feeding on scraps that filter through news or social media.

Are the modelled 3D depictions of offsides being shown live or are they generated afterwards?  I quite like them but they further give the illusion of these decisions being watertight when there's actually still a degree of interpretation involved (not least which frame to freeze on!).

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #16055 on: November 28, 2022, 09:04:25 pm »
How on earth Portugal get that penalty v Uruguay I will never understand. The guy is falling backwards and puts his arm out to break his fall , the ball hits him with him facing the other direction but pressure on the referee from Fernandez gets the VAR to overturn it. Fucking ridiculous.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #16056 on: November 28, 2022, 09:07:08 pm »
The game’s gone, Brian.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16057 on: November 28, 2022, 09:10:25 pm »
Why waste time going over to the monitor when we all know he is going to change his mind anyway.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #16058 on: November 28, 2022, 09:30:09 pm »
Dreadful decision but a nice novelty for VAR to do something different than be a killjoy in chalking off a load of goals for marginal offsides.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16059 on: November 29, 2022, 09:33:17 am »
How on earth Portugal get that penalty v Uruguay I will never understand. The guy is falling backwards and puts his arm out to break his fall , the ball hits him with him facing the other direction but pressure on the referee from Fernandez gets the VAR to overturn it. Fucking ridiculous.

It's actually not a penalty as set out in the rules when they clarified handball a few seasons back. That arm is to break his fall. Simply not a penalty

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16060 on: November 29, 2022, 10:16:33 am »
It's actually not a penalty as set out in the rules when they clarified handball a few seasons back. That arm is to break his fall. Simply not a penalty
Peter Walton surpassed himself last night. Apart from his usual back the ref bollocks he came out with a sentence that made no sense whatsoever.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16061 on: November 29, 2022, 10:32:09 am »

Haven't they changed that again?

I've seen the incident this morning, never a fucking penalty. That crying fucking rat faced c*nt was screaming for it straight away.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #16062 on: November 29, 2022, 10:36:29 am »
FIFA desperate to get the Genius to the final

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #16063 on: November 29, 2022, 11:29:28 am »
Haven't they changed that again?

I've seen the incident this morning, never a fucking penalty. That crying fucking rat faced c*nt was screaming for it straight away.

I'm not aware they've changed anything. FWIW the confirmation would need to effectively say that it's handball if you're supporting your body or attempting to.

Doesn't get given at the other end of the pitch

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16064 on: November 30, 2022, 11:06:15 pm »
I've just seen the VAR decision that awarded a penalty to Argentina.  I just don't get it.

Stills here as the videos have been rapidly removed: https://twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/1598041848177692694

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16065 on: December 1, 2022, 02:22:43 am »
Yeah, that penalty was ridiculous. They would never give that if that wasn't Messi.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16066 on: December 1, 2022, 06:43:39 am »
So apparently not only was the France goal being disallowed an horrendous decision, it also shouldn't have been allowed to be overturned because the referee resumed the game (and then blew for full time) before the review.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #16067 on: December 1, 2022, 07:40:31 am »
VAR generally worked in 2018 World Cup if only because it was rarely used. How has it got so much worse in 4 years? Just get rid of it.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #16068 on: December 1, 2022, 08:06:24 am »
FIFA desperate to get the Genius to the final
The tears if he missed a pen to lose the final would be a joy to behold.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #16069 on: December 1, 2022, 08:12:01 am »
Can someone explain why the VAR called the Griezmann goal offside?
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16070 on: December 1, 2022, 08:37:44 am »
Can someone explain why the VAR called the Griezmann goal offside?
I *think* it's because Griezmann was offside for the original cross and the defender possibly only headed the ball because he was doing so to stop the ball reaching Griezmann.  It seemed to go to the on-pitch ref rather than a simple VAR overturn because there was interpretation over whether the defender had headed the ball because he was concerned Griezmann was going to get on the end of the cross.  He didn't, he headed it as the onside player he was marking would otherwise have scored.

I guess the VAR officials asked the referee to decide if the defender's decision making had been affected by Griezmann's (offside) presence.  The on-pitch referee thought it had  ::)

It didn't really matter anyway and it's always funny when ill-fate befalls Griezmann as he's just a naturally obnoxious person.  The VAR officials should have just put Griezmann's celebration on the screen and asked the referee to decide if the goal should stand based on that.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16071 on: December 1, 2022, 08:53:07 am »
I *think* it's because Griezmann was offside for the original cross and the defender possibly only headed the ball because he was doing so to stop the ball reaching Griezmann. It seemed to go to the on-pitch ref rather than a simple VAR overturn because there was interpretation over whether the defender had headed the ball because he was concerned Griezmann was going to get on the end of the cross.  He didn't, he headed it as the onside player he was marking would otherwise have scored.

I guess the VAR officials asked the referee to decide if the defender's decision making had been affected by Griezmann's (offside) presence.  The on-pitch referee thought it had  ::)

It didn't really matter anyway and it's always funny when ill-fate befalls Griezmann as he's just a naturally obnoxious person.  The VAR officials should have just put Griezmann's celebration on the screen and asked the referee to decide if the goal should stand based on that.

Think back to the Spurs game and that dodgy penalty, where Kane was stood in an offside position, Lovren tried to block the pass and by playing the ball, reset the phase and then this played Kane onside. We all went mad, but PoP explained the rule and while its bollocks, Kane being where he was isn't an offence within the laws, once Lovren played the ball. That goal last night was the same and should have stood.

That's also not how it works. The problem for us is that Lovren attempted to play the ball. If he'd stood still and it rebounded off his leg, Kane would have been called offside (by the LOTG). But by attempting to play it, he negated the offside. It's dumb, but that's what the interpretation is.

The offside law is shite - City away for their 2nd last season, about 3 were offside from the freekick, all in Ali's line of site, but because the ball cleared the lot and went to Jesus, none where classed as interfering with play, which is bollocks.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16072 on: December 1, 2022, 08:58:09 am »
Think back to the Spurs game and that dodgy penalty, where Kane was stood in an offside position, Lovren tried to block the pass and by playing the ball, reset the phase and then this played Kane onside. We all went mad, but PoP explained the rule and while its bollocks, Kane being where he was isn't an offence within the laws, once Lovren played the ball. That goal last night was the same and should have stood.

The offside law is shite - City away for their 2nd last season, about 3 were offside from the freekick, all in Ali's line of site, but because the ball cleared the lot and went to Jesus, none where classed as interfering with play, which is bollocks.

The Lovren/Kane one was much more debatable as the ball was clearly intended for Kane, and Kane was always actively trying to get it. Last night, Griezemann basically removed himself from the picture by not contesting the ball (whilst another French player did), so how it could be argued that he was interfering I'll never know. It goes against everything we've been told over the last few years.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #16073 on: December 1, 2022, 08:59:05 am »
I *think* it's because Griezmann was offside for the original cross and the defender possibly only headed the ball because he was doing so to stop the ball reaching Griezmann.  It seemed to go to the on-pitch ref rather than a simple VAR overturn because there was interpretation over whether the defender had headed the ball because he was concerned Griezmann was going to get on the end of the cross.  He didn't, he headed it as the onside player he was marking would otherwise have scored.

Surely the defender went for the ball because of the onside player he was marking also trying to get the ball. He would have gone for it even if Griezmann wasn't there.

The French are saying that the game was restarted before end of game whistle and the ref (regardless of the validity of the VAR intervention) wasn't permitted by the rules to go back and recheck. He should have checked with VAR before restarting the game and, having failed to do that, couldn't change the decision to award the goal.
That sounds even worse to me, because a ref could "forget" to check, quickly restart the game and validate a non-valid goal.

What a shit-show.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16074 on: December 1, 2022, 09:05:48 am »
Surely the defender went for the ball because of the onside player he was marking also trying to get the ball. He would have gone for it even if Griezmann wasn't there.

The French are saying that the game was restarted before end of game whistle and the ref (regardless of the validity of the VAR intervention) wasn't permitted by the rules to go back and recheck. He should have checked with VAR before restarting the game and, having failed to do that, couldn't change the decision to award the goal.
That sounds even worse to me, because a ref could "forget" to check, quickly restart the game and validate a non-valid goal.

What a shit-show.

Imagine how much of a shit show it would have been had Australia and Denmark drew. The farce of a decision and how it came about would have knocked Australia out.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16075 on: December 1, 2022, 09:15:52 am »
The Lovren/Kane one was much more debatable as the ball was clearly intended for Kane, and Kane was always actively trying to get it. Last night, Griezemann basically removed himself from the picture by not contesting the ball (whilst another French player did), so how it could be argued that he was interfering I'll never know. It goes against everything we've been told over the last few years.

Not saying I agree with the decision, but apparently this rule has been changed/clarified since then, mainly because of Mbappe's goal in the Nations League final. It now says the defender has to be in control of the ball (meaning being able to keep it or pass/kick it in whatever direction he wants), and not just touch it. Which only makes even more subjective.

Essentially, a "deliberate play" is about the defender being in control of his actions. It's not purely about a player trying to kick or head a ball. If the defender has to stretch to play the ball, and can't have true influence about where it goes, that's not considered a "deliberate play." Whether a player is being challenged at that time is also a factor.

This is a hugely subjective area of the offside law, which is why referee Matthew Conger of New Zealand had to go to the pitchside monitor to make the decision.

The VAR, Abdullah al-Marri -- who was also on duty for the controversial handball penalty given to Portugal against Uruguay on Monday -- and his Qatari colleague acting as the offside VAR, Taleb al-Marri, will have advised that Talbi wasn't in control of the header and was stretching, therefore this cannot be a "deliberate play."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4820758/why-var-disallowed-griezmanns-goal-for-france-for-offside

And not dealing with this before restarting the game made it even more of a mess.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16076 on: December 1, 2022, 09:48:15 am »
Not saying I agree with the decision, but apparently this rule has been changed/clarified since then, mainly because of Mbappe's goal in the Nations League final. It now says the defender has to be in control of the ball (meaning being able to keep it or pass/kick it in whatever direction he wants), and not just touch it. Which only makes even more subjective.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4820758/why-var-disallowed-griezmanns-goal-for-france-for-offside

And not dealing with this before restarting the game made it even more of a mess.

Didn't we benefit from a similar incident in the Cup Final v Madrid a few months ago when Fabinho knocked the ball on to someone who scored, but because Fabinho wasn't deemed in control of the ball it was ruled out?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16077 on: December 1, 2022, 09:59:57 am »

God that change makes it worse, Maguire is never fucking in control of what he does, so he's always going to get the decision regardless...

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16078 on: December 1, 2022, 11:44:08 am »

What a shit-show.

I am not sure that is true from the French. There was one in the Bundesliga when the team had to come back from the changing rooms for a pen.
Pretty sure United got a pen after the full time whistle v Brighton.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16079 on: December 1, 2022, 11:51:37 am »
I am not sure that is true from the French. There was one in the Bundesliga when the team had to come back from the changing rooms for a pen.
Pretty sure United got a pen after the full time whistle v Brighton.

Not exactly the same scenario though.
The Bundesliga one was at half time, and the United one was essentially the final act of the game.

I haven't seen the France incident, but from what Zimagic has said, the goal was scored then everyone lined up and the game was allowed to restart. The game shouldn't have been allowed to restart if the VAR check wasn't finished. And the VAR check shouldn't have started, or should have been binned once the ref decided the game was good to restart. 
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT