Author Topic: Non-League football  (Read 8172 times)

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Non-League football
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2022, 11:11:21 am »
Agree with some criticism of County fans but not sure that Mark Stott can be classed as a horrible owner?  He is a Stockport lad who is investing in his local club, a couple of Hollywood stars investing in Wrexham for a TV series is surely less palatable?

Both County and Wrexham have been head and shoulders above the rest this season, both heavily bankrolled.  The Athletic ran an article about the money in the National League recently

https://theathletic.com/2943033/2021/11/14/the-national-league-is-now-richer-and-more-competitive-than-ever/

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2022, 11:20:09 am »
Come on The Shaymen!!

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2022, 11:25:03 am »
Are they wealthier than Salford? Only I remember similar thinking with them, but they haven't got close to getting out of League 2 yet.

I've seen them both play this season and was really impressed with Stockport's style. They have wobbled a bit of late, but I put that down to them thinking the league was done.

They'd be the favourite of the 2 for next season.  Bar a handful of sides, there isn't much between league 2 and the national league at the moment.
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2022, 12:39:10 pm »
Agree with some criticism of County fans but not sure that Mark Stott can be classed as a horrible owner?  He is a Stockport lad who is investing in his local club, a couple of Hollywood stars investing in Wrexham for a TV series is surely less palatable?

Both County and Wrexham have been head and shoulders above the rest this season, both heavily bankrolled.  The Athletic ran an article about the money in the National League recently

https://theathletic.com/2943033/2021/11/14/the-national-league-is-now-richer-and-more-competitive-than-ever/
I used to work with a company that did some stuff for Stott’s property group. His intentions with Stockport are not an issue, I just can tell you he’s an awful person. That’s my personal dislike of him as a bloke as opposed to the club.

I just don’t like them at the end of the day. Never did when they were in the football league and they are a fanbase in one of the most rundown parts of Manchester who also engage in the horrid chanting about Liverpool as a city and a club, despite not having played us in probably close to 100 years.

Wrexham of course are bankrolled but the two seems good guys and I am probably biased because I’m a fan of Mchelleney’s work. I believe the club are cultivating a massive fanbase.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2022, 02:18:01 pm »
Looking to start getting to games in the Nottingham/Carlton area- any suggestions? preferably places with a food van  ;D

Have a look at Carlton Town. Saw them play a few years ago at Ossett United groundhopping with my Yorkshire mate and they're in the Northern Premier League East so there's loads of easy aways in South/East Yorkshire and up the A1 corridor.

Edit: they used to be in the NPL East, just seen they're now in the NPL Div 1 Midlands, so a bit more central England/West Midlands travelling.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 02:20:34 pm by bradders1011 »
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2022, 08:41:29 pm »
Anyone watching Notts County v Grimsby in the NL playoff?

Can't see either of these going up through the playoffs, but not a bad game so far..
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2022, 08:44:37 pm »
Anyone watching Notts County v Grimsby in the NL playoff?

Can't see either of these going up through the playoffs, but not a bad game so far..
I switched over from Hamburg v Hertha for a couple of minutes to see if Jaros was in goal for Notts but no joy, not sure if he's injured. I'll stick with the German playoff.

Offline SK8 Red

• A spanking! A spanking!
  • Main Stander
  • Supporting since 1983 at a guess
« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2022, 09:39:45 pm »
I used to work with a company that did some stuff for Stott’s property group. His intentions with Stockport are not an issue, I just can tell you he’s an awful person. That’s my personal dislike of him as a bloke as opposed to the club.

I just don’t like them at the end of the day. Never did when they were in the football league and they are a fanbase in one of the most rundown parts of Manchester who also engage in the horrid chanting about Liverpool as a city and a club, despite not having played us in probably close to 100 years.

Wrexham of course are bankrolled but the two seems good guys and I am probably biased because I’m a fan of Mchelleney’s work. I believe the club are cultivating a massive fanbase.
What a load of twaddle. Stockport has some rough areas but equally very wealthy areas and plenty of premier league footballers living there. Proper football club based in Cheshire who despise their neighbours and never sing about Liverpool. Their owner is simply spending what hasn't been spent over the last 11 years as they ended up in league 6.

Ps. Drew with Liverpool in 1984 in the milk cup but lost the second leg.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 09:52:55 pm by SK8 Red »

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2022, 09:42:12 pm »
12 seconds of injury time left and it's 1-1. In fairness the push that led to the free kick looked in the box too.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2022, 09:45:01 pm »
12 seconds of injury time left and it's 1-1. In fairness the push that led to the free kick looked in the box too.

Overall a draw is fair for the 90... couldn't have left it any later... 12000 at this game, I know they are big sides for this level, but level 5 that's impressive...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 09:48:05 pm by AllyouneedisRush »
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2022, 09:50:00 pm »

I don't know where you get the idea they sing about Liverpool. I've been to loads of their games over the years and never heard them sing about us.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2022, 10:27:56 pm »
2 very late goals... Wrecsam v Grimsby it is for the first semi... Can't see Grimsby winning that one, but I thought Notts would win today!
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline Fazak_Red

• Seems to think everything is shite, not including his own one-liners though, of course not......
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forza Liverpool
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2022, 10:29:01 pm »
2 very late goals... Wrecsam v Grimsby it is for the first semi... Can't see Grimsby winning that one, but I thought Notts would win today!

Proper match that compared to some of the tin pot sides in the football league now.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2022, 08:41:01 pm »
At Halifax town v chesterfield..ref as bad as Jon moss, 2 awful tackles by ch
esterfield guy.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2022, 12:48:13 pm »
Wrexham v Grimsby 1-1 after 15 mins cracking start.

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2022, 01:01:19 pm »
Fingers crossed for Wrexham, would love to see another Welsh club in the Football League and they have got potential to progress further under the American owners.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2022, 01:57:29 pm »
Fingers crossed for Wrexham, would love to see another Welsh club in the Football League and they have got potential to progress further under the American owners.

3-2 to Wrexham this game is a classic so far really enjoying it

Offline mentalgellar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2022, 02:04:20 pm »
3-3 now. Brilliant game.

Offline mentalgellar

• Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2022, 02:10:35 pm »
4-4! Ridiculous.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2022, 02:21:22 pm »
Stone cold classic.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2022, 02:25:37 pm »
Stone cold classic.

Looks like another 30 mins of this beauty 😂

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2022, 03:09:11 pm »
Wrexham [1] - 0 Grimsby; Paul Mullin penalty 13' - https://streamja.com/G2PQ7

Wrexham 1 - [1] Grimsby; John McAtee 15' - https://streamja.com/7KvgL

Wrexham 1 - [2] Grimsby; Luke Waterfall 47' - https://streamja.com/6K9LK

Wrexham [2] - 2 Grimsby; Ben Tozer 63' - https://streamja.com/pMbKR

Wrexham [3] - 2 Grimsby; Mulllin on 65' -

Wrexham 3 - [3] Grimsby; Taylor on 72' -

Wrexham 3 - [4] Grimsby; Emmanuel Dieseruvwe 78' - https://streamja.com/M4NdG

Wrexham [4] - 4 Grimsby; Jordan Davies 80' - https://streamja.com/m6NK9

Wrexham 4 - [5] Grimsby; Luke Waterfall 119' - https://streamja.com/R1mdq

4-5; full-time ;D

'Wrexham v Grimsby (4-5) | NINE-GOAL PLAYOFF THRILLER! | National League Highlights' (5 minute video):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YaKxMEWDzQ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YaKxMEWDzQ0</a>

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 12:53:59 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2022, 03:19:29 pm »
Stone cold classic.

I take it you’re being ironic Gerry. Grimsby were the better team on the day, but I’m a Wrexhamian (born opposite the ground) and I detest this sort of game - a mixture of head tennis and basketball, where midfielders end up with a crick in the neck from constantly watching the ball sailing over their heads. I know from watching young Wrexham teams fail to get promotion from this league how difficult it is to achieve by playing the game ‘on the deck’, but that’s what Wrexham’s better teams were renowned for.

The other thing I hate is playoffs. The fact that a team that finishes as many as 20 points behind one narrowly missing out on automatic promotion, gaining promotion through a sudden death ‘cup’ competition doesn’t sit right with me - it’s fundamentally unfair, and smacks of the thinking behind so much that’s wrong with football currently - greed coupled with lack of regard for player welfare. That’s not sour grapes, it’s something I’ve never believed in.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2022, 03:21:21 pm »
Not at all, Robin. Fantastic 120 minutes of football. Low on quality for the most part but I actually loved every bit of it. Wanted Wrexham to do it just because it’d be nice to see them back in the football league but they’ll walk it next season.

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2022, 03:23:18 pm »
I take it you’re being ironic Gerry. Grimsby were the better team on the day, but I’m a Wrexhamian (born opposite the ground) and I detest this sort of game - a mixture of head tennis and basketball, where midfielders end up with a crick in the neck from constantly watching the ball sailing over their heads. I know from watching young Wrexham teams fail to get promotion from this league how difficult it is to achieve by playing the game ‘on the deck’, but that’s what Wrexham’s better teams were renowned for.

The other thing I hate is playoffs. The fact that a team that finishes as many as 20 points behind one narrowly missing out on automatic promotion, gaining promotion through a sudden death ‘cup’ competition doesn’t sit right with me - it’s fundamentally unfair, and smacks of the thinking behind so much that’s wrong with football currently - greed coupled with lack of regard for player welfare. That’s not sour grapes, it’s something I’ve never believed in.

Fair play to you. Grimsby fan here, I’d be pretty fucked off about finishing second and teams as far down as seventh being able to get promoted.

Now what the fuck do I do for another four and half hours?

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2022, 03:49:00 pm »
Fair play to you. Grimsby fan here, I’d be pretty fucked off about finishing second and teams as far down as seventh being able to get promoted.

Now what the fuck do I do for another four and half hours?

And fair play to you and Grimsby, came good at the right time, and in Fox, had the best player on the park today, and in the first play-off. He’s at a level well above National League, and I’ll be interested to see where he ends up.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2022, 03:58:35 pm »

Nothing wrong with play-offs in general, but it's really time for the National League to have three promotion spots into the Football League now that the gap between the two is much, much smaller.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2022, 04:33:26 pm »
Nothing wrong with play-offs in general, but it's really time for the National League to have three promotion spots into the Football League now that the gap between the two is much, much smaller.

Oh I agree with the latter part of your post. You’ll never get me to agree about play offs though😜

Offline ElDuderino

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2022, 04:37:00 pm »
And fair play to you and Grimsby, came good at the right time, and in Fox, had the best player on the park today, and in the first play-off. He’s at a level well above National League, and I’ll be interested to see where he ends up.

Cheers lad. We really need to go up so we can have a chance of keeping hold of Mcatee and Fox. Definitely a level above, at least.

I do like the playoffs but it doesn’t need six teams in it especially with only one automatic sport. One thing though, I really enjoyed it being one legged. Made each game feel like a final and gives a bigger (in theory!) advantage to the team who finished higher.

And you know a ref’s shite when both teams are pissed off with him!

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2022, 05:33:26 pm »

'Basildon United FC have confirmed they will adopt a new badge next season. The current crest will remain in place for the remainder of the 2022/23 season, with the new crest officially replacing it for the 2023/24 season.' - https://twitter.com/BasUtdFC/status/1597943674515918850

^ It certainly is different - and doesn't at all look like two people having some fun with each other... ;D

Edit: Apparently, Basildon FC have clarified the new design is based on this - https://twitter.com/BasUtdFC/status/1597985989292851202 ...

^ which still looks a little... weird?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2022, 05:36:46 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2022, 06:37:31 pm »
Basildon looks lovely from that photo  :P  If that’s the only obvious thing they have to put on a logo, then that’s actually quite sad!

Their old logo had it on too, so it’s just a new version that makes it look more like the actual fountain.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2022, 07:18:32 pm »
Incidentally, the performance of this year’s panto, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves at the Basildon Hippodrome is meant to be very racy.

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #72 on: December 6, 2022, 01:46:27 pm »

'Gate Money: Inside Non-League Football's Funding Fiasco (Full Documentary)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lhs6B8FyDKc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lhs6B8FyDKc</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhs6B8FyDKc

'In Gate Money, sports journalist Fred Atkins aims to find out why what should have been feel-good story turned into a tale of bitterness and abuse for clubs and fans of England's lower-level football divisions. A global pandemic, a 10 million pound lottery grant and 66 Non-League football clubs. What could possibly go wrong?

The 57-minute investigative documentary film is directed by Jasper Spanjaart (SPNJRT Media Productions) and presented by Fred Atkins. The film features interviews with former FA chairman David Bernstein, former Minister of Sport Tracey Crouch, football finance teacher and podcast host Kieran Maguire, BBC Non-League Show presenter Ollie Bayliss, and representatives from Chester FC, Dorking Wanderers, Dulwich Hamlet, Maidstone United and Tonbridge Angels.'

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #73 on: December 6, 2022, 01:50:37 pm »
'Gate Money: Inside Non-League Football's Funding Fiasco (Full Documentary)':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lhs6B8FyDKc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lhs6B8FyDKc</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhs6B8FyDKc

'In Gate Money, sports journalist Fred Atkins aims to find out why what should have been feel-good story turned into a tale of bitterness and abuse for clubs and fans of England's lower-level football divisions. A global pandemic, a 10 million pound lottery grant and 66 Non-League football clubs. What could possibly go wrong?

The 57-minute investigative documentary film is directed by Jasper Spanjaart (SPNJRT Media Productions) and presented by Fred Atkins. The film features interviews with former FA chairman David Bernstein, former Minister of Sport Tracey Crouch, football finance teacher and podcast host Kieran Maguire, BBC Non-League Show presenter Ollie Bayliss, and representatives from Chester FC, Dorking Wanderers, Dulwich Hamlet, Maidstone United and Tonbridge Angels.'

Dorking Wanderers, best club name ever?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 6, 2022, 02:11:28 pm »
Basildon looks lovely from that photo  :P  If that’s the only obvious thing they have to put on a logo, then that’s actually quite sad!

Their old logo had it on too, so it’s just a new version that makes it look more like the actual fountain.

1960's architecture, ugly buildings that were repeated up and down the country. This is Kirkby Town Centre where I grew up

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #75 on: December 6, 2022, 02:33:31 pm »
Incidentally, the performance of this year’s panto, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves at the Basildon Hippodrome is meant to be very racy.

Looks like she won't be choking on just an apple

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2023, 11:26:38 pm »
Two north-east clubs North Shields and Marske United both on the brink of collapse after loads of their games were called off due to the weather. It beggars belief that clubs - one in the same city as the Saudis - can be going under thanks to a few weeks of rain with no emergency backing available.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.