Author Topic: Survivors: Talk about it, share it, we'll try to help  (Read 209699 times)

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
Re: Survivors: Talk about it, share it, we'll try to help
« Reply #440 on: April 18, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »
the 30for30 is a tough watch. when its available to you just be warned in advanced.

As for the last few posts - all I can offer is that nobody knows how they will react to something like this. Even those that specifically trained for it.
For the fans with no preparation or training or expectation there simply isn't a right way to react.

What anyone did on the day or at any point afterwards - so what. theres no right way - therefore no wrong way. Its ok. talk about it then, now, in the future or never. Its ok to pick your way - no guilt attached to that. There are people out there who will help and listen to you. theres plenty in here too. Heros, even now, who can help  - without realizing that they are heros.

If you need to reach out then do so - people will help and not judge you. there is no judging to be done for those in this thread.

I'm probably not the best person but message me if you feel you want to.

whatever you decide will be ok with everyone. but help or just a friendly ear is right here.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: April 18, 2014, 04:04:07 pm »
This is the first time I have posted on RAWK in a couple of years. I have posted in this thread before.

I was at Hillsborough and have talked a few times to people about my experiences. People say I'm a survivor but I don't think of myself as such. I was safe in the stands behind the goal, never in danger. I didn't survive, I was lucky. Lucky to be in the seats instead of where I normally was behind the goal. I'm 56 years old now, nearly 57. I was 31 then, going on 32. I still cant talk about Hillsborough without getting emotional. Never can. It happened again tonight. It happens every time I try to talk about it. I don't mind it, I am usually more embarrassed for the other person than I am for myself but it always happens and with each passing year it gets harder. I spoke to a Policewoman involved with the IPCC investigation the other week. I spent an hour on the phone telling her my version of events. At times I couldn't speak. I cried a lot. Why? It was 25 years ago. My mum passed away 2 months ago but I don't get upset every time I think about it. But with Hillsborough... I have never properly come to terms. Even now, typing this, I feel like some attention seeking Saddo. But its 25 years and it shouldn't still be like this should it? I don't know anyone who died that day. I never lost a family member or a friend. How those people cope that did I have no idea. I don't think I could. But when will it all end? I'm hoping with the verdicts from the Inquest. Maybe then some closure?

I might even come back here later to delete this but it just feels good to write it for now. I'll be ok again tomorrow... until the next time.

JFT96.
You are a survivor.Just because you didn't suffer the hell that was the pens doesn't mean you weren't massively effected by being there it's just you knew what took place in the pens so you've probably always put your own reactions and feelings second to those that were in the pens. But those feelings are as valid as anyone elses just because you weren't in physical danger doesn't mean you weren't mentally effected and it's a normal reaction to talk it through with sympathetic people and come to terms with what happened and what you saw. The problem is that at Hillsborough the shifting of the blame onto the fans and the denial of justice made that so difficult for survivors to come to terms with the horror of the situation and non of that is your fault you've coped the best you can. 25 years is a long time to have had to put up with those feelings, you are a survivor and through no fault of your own you've had to carry these feelings with you  you are amongst friends.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: April 18, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »
You are a survivor.Just because you didn't suffer the hell that was the pens doesn't mean you weren't massively effected by being there it's just you knew what took place in the pens so you've probably always put your own reactions and feelings second to those that were in the pens. But those feelings are as valid as anyone elses just because you weren't in physical danger doesn't mean you weren't mentally effected and it's a normal reaction to talk it through with sympathetic people and come to terms with what happened and what you saw. The problem is that at Hillsborough the shifting of the blame onto the fans and the denial of justice made that so difficult for survivors to come to terms with the horror of the situation and non of that is your fault you've coped the best you can. 25 years is a long time to have had to put up with those feelings, you are a survivor and through no fault of your own you've had to carry these feelings with you  you are amongst friends.

Yeah its taken me a long time of not knowing if I was a survivor because I went into Pen 2 or a witness because I wasn't in Pens 3 or 4. It was just luck that I'd gone to the league game with Sheffield Wednesday a few months before so knew about going off to the sides and not going down the packed tunnel.
Think if something has still an effect on you that you can't talk about it, 25 years later, then it doesn't matter, survivor/witness pretty much the same things.
If someone tries to talk about it to me, I just well up. Almost immediately. No shame in that, we saw things that nobody should see. The guilt of not being able to help people is a natural feeling to have, especially being told and people thinking it was our fault even if we knew better..
Seeing some of the pictures and video last night, it was clear, there was nothing we could do. Other than what we did, helping people over the fence etc in between the pens. People who were supposed to be trained in their response, froze far worse than we did.
So watching the 30/30 documentary was good for me, not saying it will be for everyone. Some of it was VERY difficult to watch and cried through most of it but the victims relatives testimony was what I found inspirational. The way they were treated yet still managed to carry on when at times it seemed a hopeless cause.
Knowing what is happening now, really helps.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 01:51:21 pm by The 5th Benitle »
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline The Tenacious Kennedy

• Determined to end the Lies. Don't f*ck with this cat!
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • "They were organised; we were not"
« Reply #443 on: April 19, 2014, 10:42:53 am »
It was just luck that I'd gone to the league game with Sheffield Wednesday a few months before so knew about going off to the sides and not going down the packed tunnel.

Do you remember at the league game, if the police had blocked off the entrance to the tunnel?  Or did you go to the wing pens on your own initiative?
Follow me on Twitter @wrong_kennedy

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #444 on: April 19, 2014, 12:39:39 pm »
Thanks guys....I'm ok, just had a bit of an episode the other night. The doco got to me. Never knew of the ridiculous SY police prank that had happened 6 months prior to Hillsborough led to Duckenfield being put in charge. Amazing to think what that chain reaction led to 😥
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #445 on: April 19, 2014, 03:45:07 pm »
Branno, glad you are OK. We can't really discuss stuff on here at the moment, as it puts the Mods at risk of contempt of court. That's why the documentary is blocked here. But if it gets to you, give a shout - as the title says :)
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:24 pm »
Do you remember at the league game, if the police had blocked off the entrance to the tunnel?  Or did you go to the wing pens on your own initiative?

No we stood in Pen 3 for the first half and moved at half time cause me mate was a short ass and didn't have a great view. It was busy behind the goal but it always was, wasn't it in those days, where the best atmosphere was. Obviously not Semi final busy, just average for those days.
Worse I ever had at a game was at White Hart Lane, Terry Venables first game in charge. Officially 48,000 iirc, that was tight and scarred me at times. 
Don't remember any police directing people though and definitely wasn't shut when we went in.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:43:12 pm by mccred »

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline The Tenacious Kennedy

• Determined to end the Lies. Don't f*ck with this cat!
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • "They were organised; we were not"
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2014, 07:56:19 pm »
Thanks guys....I'm ok, just had a bit of an episode the other night. The doco got to me. Never knew of the ridiculous SY police prank that had happened 6 months prior to Hillsborough led to Duckenfield being put in charge. Amazing to think what that chain reaction led to 😥

Glad you re ok Branno

Bit more context to the prank here:

https://twitter.com/wrong_kennedy/status/426782812457684992

Mods - this is a separate incident to Hillsborough, so hope ok to post that link here
Follow me on Twitter @wrong_kennedy

Offline Garcias Sangria

• Anny Roader
  • Not in The Grafton on a Friday night
« Reply #448 on: April 19, 2014, 11:29:01 pm »
Very glad to hear you are okay mate.
Quote from: Owl
If some of u fucking bellends are seriously arsed about this then go to fucking sleep or knock our self out by charging straight at a wall.
It's a fucking pre season
Fuck off u twats
Quote from: Upinsmoke
Go to sleep, but it's only 2.55am

Div

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: April 20, 2014, 08:22:30 am »
Glad you re ok Branno

Bit more context to the prank here:

https://twitter.com/wrong_kennedy/status/426782812457684992

Mods - this is a separate incident to Hillsborough, so hope ok to post that link here

Yeah, I didn't know about the prank and when watching the 30/30 docu was wondering why the fuck they were showing an armed robbery from 6 months before? Unbelievable what that led to.

Sorry 5th Benitle, I came back into edit that out myself after thinking about it and seen you'd already done it.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #450 on: August 5, 2014, 05:21:04 pm »
OK....word of warning anyone thinking of this 30 from 30. If you where there then this may blow your mind. It did with me....I am finally getting counselling after 25 years. I will be honest and say I lost the plot a few weeks ago.....I have been diagnosed with delayed post traumatic stress disorder. Fuck me this I bollocks....25 fucking years!!!!  Maybe I need to go home...I don't know....but I know just spouting on here helps😥 .....seriously thank you
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Craig67

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #451 on: August 5, 2014, 08:30:55 pm »
I hope the councelling helps. I had it last year....... decided to go for it soon after the report came out, as I knew I had to do something. That was the first time I'd spoken to anyone about what happened.

It wont solve everything, but it might help some.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: August 6, 2014, 01:00:49 am »
I hope the councelling helps. I had it last year....... decided to go for it soon after the report came out, as I knew I had to do something. That was the first time I'd spoken to anyone about what happened.

It wont solve everything, but it might help some.
Welcome Craig, without sounding crass, good to have you posting in here.

Offline That Kennedy moment

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #453 on: August 6, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »
OK....word of warning anyone thinking of this 30 from 30. If you where there then this may blow your mind. It did with me....I am finally getting counselling after 25 years. I will be honest and say I lost the plot a few weeks ago.....I have been diagnosed with delayed post traumatic stress disorder. Fuck me this I bollocks....25 fucking years!!!!  Maybe I need to go home...I don't know....but I know just spouting on here helps😥 .....seriously thank you

I'm sorry to hear you've hit a rough patch mate. That must've come as quite a shock, to be diagnosed after 25 years, but then maybe not... maybe the diagnosis will help, if it confirms what you might have suspected yourself?

These situations are all unique, and we all have our own symptoms.

I'm struggling again. I'm finding these inquests difficult in a way that I hadn't anticipated. Some days I think, '25 years, and finally we're seeing these bastards in court, under proper scrutiny, and knowing that this time they won't be able to wriggle their way out.'

But it's not the release I was hoping it would be.

Most days I feel depressed at the sheer mendacity of these people. I look at the catalogue of errors, the colossal, casual negligence of the various people involved, and hear how casually they're relaying it to the court and I think, 'Say that again, will you? And think about what you've just said, because that nearly killed me.'

I'm still stunned at the cynicism and corruption and dishonesty of these people, even now - I shouldn't be, but I am. And last week's testimony, from the two PCs in the control box, made me really angry.

I'm getting texts from mates, other survivors, who are furious at some of the bullshit that's coming out, and - like me - they've known the catalogue of negligence for years; but to finally hear it and see it spelt out, in such depressing detail, is difficult to take.

We fought for this process, we fought for this day to come, and we know we need to go through it, but this is proving more difficult than I expected. The news that it will run for another year is a nightmare.

It even gets to the point where I read the Echo transcript and there's been a little joke made, to lighten the mood, and the Echo reporters writes 'the court laughed' and I just think 'I can't be doing with this today'.

For the first time ever, I'm going away this weekend without my girlfriend, cos I just need to get away from everything, and clear my head and have some peace.
'I'd rather have a quick wank, a cup of tea and read the Beano frankly.'
Cornelius, 8 September 2008

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #454 on: August 6, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »

This is pretty much how I feel too.  I have tried not reading what has been said in court, but I just have to - and when I do, it upsets me immensely.  I keep saying to myself that this is the correct legal process that we have been praying for, but when things are said that I know to be incorrect; because we witnessed it, it hurts and angers.

All those involved are struggling and will be for at least another year.  I am also worried about what will happen after the inquests and how suvivors will cope with the verdict, whatever it is.  I don't believe that Hillsborough has claimed its last victim.

God bless to all who are going through this.  I hope that those responsible for the need to go through all this 25 years later, realise the damage that they have done to so many people, so may lives, and so many families.

Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: August 6, 2014, 03:17:59 pm »

For the first time ever, I'm going away this weekend without my girlfriend, cos I just need to get away from everything, and clear my head and have some peace.

Hope you find it, mate. Your writing has been an outlet and a balm to many on here.

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: August 6, 2014, 03:28:27 pm »
Hope you find it, mate. Your writing has been an outlet and a balm to many on here.

I second that.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

• "Down in 1...down in 1...or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6..... *pause* .....47, 48, 49..... *sigh*.....
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #457 on: August 7, 2014, 02:21:00 pm »
Thanks lads.

I feel better for coming on here and sharing it, as I know others do.

I feel a bit like Branno at the moment -  a case of 'Fuck me, not again.'

Going to the coast this weekend... gonna go for a long walk and eat some cake and sink a few beers and see where I surface on Monday.

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #458 on: August 14, 2014, 03:36:04 pm »
Thanks lads.

I feel better for coming on here and sharing it, as I know others do.

I feel a bit like Branno at the moment -  a case of 'Fuck me, not again.'

Going to the coast this weekend... gonna go for a long walk and eat some cake and sink a few beers and see where I surface on Monday.
Mate your trip away is my trip home....ain't been back for 3 years but im I'm going back 1 dec for 2 weeks without the wife and kids.  Really need to give my family a hug and open up, let it all out and hopefully bury this demon.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for hills borough specific help whilst I'm there I would be eternity grateful....I'm on the way out of this hole I have dug myself in ...I hope

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #459 on: August 18, 2014, 01:55:40 pm »
I hope your trip back works out for you mate. It sounds as if you've made a big decision to open up, and I tend to think it's the right decision.

As for help, have you contacted the HJC for advice on who might be best placed to offer you that? If their website doesn't help, I could dig out a contact for you.

Offline Andy G

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: September 10, 2014, 03:54:11 pm »
It is two years on Friday since the HIP report.  Whilst 15th April 1989 changed all of our lives, I believe that 12th September 2012 has had a similarly detrimental effect.  Things over the last two years have gone dreadfully wrong for me, much of which has been caused by my inability to make the right decisions on how to handle problems not related to Hillsborough.  The string of events that leads me to where I am now can be plotted back to September 2012.  In hindsight, the way I handled those problems should have been easy, but I lost motivation and my work suffered.  A lack of support from those that I am entitled to expect full from only exacerbated the issues.  I do not think the timing of all this is coincidence.  I feel real anger once again about what has happened, and every day the reading of the inquests disturbs me.  My disrespect of all things authority seems no longer to be healthy and is growing into contempt.  I know I am not the only one that is having issues at the moment, and the through of another year of inquests, followed by years of further actions frightens me.  I sometimes fear that all the efforts we put into campaigning for justice was futile and I can’t bear to think how I will react if there is not a positive outcome to the whole thing.

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Why I'm here
« Reply #461 on: September 14, 2014, 01:29:02 pm »
Andy, that's worrying to read. First thing to do is just keep in touch on here, either on this thread or via PMs.

I appreciate why you're feeling angry, and understand it... we all do. Just keep your head mate.

This inquest process is slow, and I see where you're coming from, about the Panel report not being the balm that we might have hoped for. I think the people on the Panel aren't under any illusions themselves that their report would be all sweetness and light - they just saw that it was necessary, and that it would help in the long term. There are no straight or smooth roads in this process - it's been too corrupted, for too long, for anything to run smoothly now. But slowly - painful as it is - I think we're winning the argument, and I'm hopeful we will get justice.

I'm in a similar boat to you, in terms of anger spilling over into contempt. I'm seriously watching this Scottish referendum debate and thinking, 'If they vote for independence, I'm moving up there', cos there's just so much about this country that leaves me bitterly frustrated, and nothing more so than having to wait 25 years for justice.

This drawn-out process does badly affect your peace of mind, and yeah, it will trigger feelings of contempt, anger, despair, hatred, fury, powerlessness. I've never believed the process started in September 2012 by the HIP will lead to closure. Closure is a stupid American word that might apply to lesser problems, but not to deep psychological trauma that has been eating away at you for 25 years. All I can hope for is that I can live and cope with this as best I can. Speaking for myself, to aim for anything more is futile. I've actually thought this since about 1991, and that gave me a chance to cope better from that moment on. All we can do is cope,  mate; sometimes we cope better than at other times, sometimes we struggle. We just have to keep going. That's just my take on it, and I'm not saying it applies to others.

But don't beat yourself up for one moment for feeling like this: you've been subjected to something that few other people in life will have to go through. The trauma of the day alone would have been bad enough; but survivors were then blamed and vilified for decades. Show me a survivor of any other tragedy in Britain since the war that has been through the same.

Keep the faith, and keep posting on here. You're a good lad, don't forget it.

Offline Speedy Molby

• Not as fat as his name suggests but is still a bad formby wool :)
  • Campaigns
  • Kopite
  • Satire? In Wigan?
« Reply #462 on: September 14, 2014, 08:12:35 pm »
Hello Andy

In addition to TKM's post, I'd like to make a couple of points of my own.
Feeling let down by the people around you is something most survivors will share. In my experience, very few people who were not there are capable of being supportive, due to the sheer scale of the trauma.
There is something primal about being crushed to the brink of death that instinctively repels people, and they can sometimes project this repulsion on to the survivor. I've read that victims of sexual abuse have had similar experiences.
Another, more simple factor is that people just don't know what to say, and when people don't know what to say they often say something stupid, or are dismissive.
Talk things through with any other survivors you know, and share your feelings here. In my experience, the most supportive people who weren't there are people with a good understanding of the whole subject. People who know what happened that day.
Your worries about the outcome of the inquest are probably shared by us all. I try to focus on the progress already made, the battles already won.
'Calls for a Hillsborough-style inquiry' has become a news media cliche in the past couple of years, and Hillsborough has become a byword for police malpractice and corruption. This shows where the disaster now sits in the national psyche, which to my mind is just as important as a just inquest verdict.
Be strong mate.
I am alone now. I am beyond recrimination. The curtains have shut, the furniture has gone. I am transforming. I am vibrating. I am glowing. I am flying. Look at me now.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #463 on: September 15, 2014, 08:17:05 am »
"Another, more simple factor is that people just don't know what to say, and when people don't know what to say they often say something stupid, or are dismissive."

Aint that the truth
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #464 on: October 5, 2014, 01:28:16 pm »
I dont know where to post this - so I'll put it here - my ex husband is giving evidence tomorrow at the Inquest - I honestly dont know how he is going to get through that I really dont.  For those who dont know he was badly injured at hillsborough.

It has made me feel really "strange" so God knows what it will do to him.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #465 on: October 5, 2014, 02:00:44 pm »
I dont know where to post this - so I'll put it here - my ex husband is giving evidence tomorrow at the Inquest - I honestly do thatnt know how he is going to get through that I really dont.  For those who dont know he was badly injured at hillsborough.

It has made me feel really "strange" so God knows what it will do to him.

Courage my brave ones.  You have had so much of it and you need to draw upon it again.  He will do it and you will support him.  He needs to make his case for justice heard.  You must know that the whole of RAWK supports you both.  Draw upon that and know that you are loved,  cherished, admired and supported.  NYWA ain't just a song babe.  We are with you both.
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2014, 11:52:36 pm »
I sat and watch the 60/60 documentary this evening.. I was in absolute tears in multiple parts. I was a year away from being alive when the disaster happened but I was distraught to watch those fans, who only went to a game, who never returned. The whole thing was totally wrong, the police got it so so wrong. I hope we never see anything of that magnitude again, ever. We are getting ever closer to justice now and one day we will get it :) JFT96

Offline Glorious Future

• Anny Roader
« Reply #467 on: April 15, 2015, 07:15:08 pm »
Always come back to say hello, wishes to all, hope people are well in themselves, thoughts with those who were lost. Thoughts with those whose memories and hurt never fade.
Faith is a passionate intuition.

http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #468 on: April 17, 2015, 02:19:59 am »
I always fall asleep listening to the radio....this can sometimes lead to having dreams/nightmares about what you are listening to. The other night they were reading about the names and ages of the 96....they read out my name and age. That well and truly has sent me on a spiral. You that feeling when you suddenly wake up and you are not sure between the truth and reality ?...didn't expect this...very low point right now 😡

Offline Swoop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: May 30, 2015, 10:27:11 pm »
I have just been through the process of contacting then giving a statement to Op Resolve.  They are interested in speaking to anyone that was on the pitch and helped.

In all honesty it was the first time I have told the whole story to anyone. Hard but lifted a weight I have been carrying around for too many years.

Would urge anyone that hasn't done so too contact them.
Its a dogs life for me

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: May 31, 2015, 09:13:48 pm »
I have just been through the process of contacting then giving a statement to Op Resolve.  They are interested in speaking to anyone that was on the pitch and helped.

In all honesty it was the first time I have told the whole story to anyone. Hard but lifted a weight I have been carrying around for too many years.

Would urge anyone that hasn't done so too contact them.

Hello you lovely lad.  Its been a while since we spoke. But for the things we did - and won - you will always remain close to my heart,

You were very brave, but I would expect no less of you, my lovely Swoopy.  I am so very pleased that it brought you peace through expression.  And thank you  for telling the truth for the sake of the 96 and for all the Survivors, whose stories are yet to be told.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Aaron Rattray1

• Almost a new record in rEceiving the pOsting bEfore tHinking aWard. needs to get a shift on.
  • Anny Roader
  • Grimsby town and Liverpool fan
« Reply #471 on: March 14, 2016, 07:53:21 am »
I wasn't alive when Hillsborough happened, wasn't even thought of, my parents hadn't even been married, hadn't even met!

But I've seen videos and pictures, read books etc and I even get emotional sometimes, and I like to think I'm quite mentally strong so lord only knows how those who were there feels

We need to remember it isn't just 96 people, it's hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions affected, each one of the 96 had mothers, fathers, auntie, uncles, brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews, grandmothers, grandfathers, friends, the ones who were teenagers would have had school and college friends, each of those would have grieved, so would their relations and so on, this is even before we get to the other people at the ground, the police officers, first aiders, fellow spectators, stewards, Notts Forest fans, all them would have grieved, people watching Grandstand at home would have been affected, it's a conveyer belt, a chain reaction, many people were driven to suicide because of that day, turned to alcohol etc, 96 lives were lost that day but millions affected.

So this thread is a great idea, it must be a great comfort to have people who you can share experiences with, people who know what you are on about, it must be a great weight of peoples minds.

Offline Arthurs Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #472 on: April 6, 2016, 02:24:20 pm »
I write knowing the summing up will end today and as someone who was in the Pens I'm glad its over. The conclusion gives me some sort of relief but  I can only hope the verdict is the one we pray for and the families can in some way get some rest.

But the last two years have been difficult and very similar to 1989 after standing in the Pens. I believe I speak for most if not all when I say that. I understand now what I'm going through but I cannot control the sadness or tears, I've been so low at times, really low. The interaction with Operation resolve, the communication with the family of my friend that died that day (it seems I was the last one that knew him to see him alive; it was in the pen) his family lawyer have brought everything back and more. I was shaking speaking with the family lawyer and broke down, twice. She told me she hopes I find peace, I know that will never fully happen.

I have been repeating the day over and over for the last two years to what are mostly strangers, but strangers that represent a cause that hopefully comes to a conclusion sometime soon. I can only hope the evidence I have given, however small, has in a tiny way helped the families. That gives me satisfaction and solace knowing what I have been through was worth it, especially for my friend.

I am though lucky to have a family and job that keep me going through it all, distractions if you will from everything that is Hillsborough. I've been informed many survivors haven't, don't know how they got through it all. Many have turned to drink and drugs to compensate, it is so sad. I've read about mothers who lost their child that day and in the past 27 years lost husbands or other close family and are alone, my heart breaks, it really does. I cry for them, Hillsborough has always had that effect on me.

I'm tired and worn out by it all and it has to end for both families and survivors. April 16th 2016 will be the start for me and whilst Hillsborough will never leave me I know I will wake up most of my remaining days and Hillsborough will not be part of my first thoughts.

".....and the sun shines now".
« Last Edit: April 6, 2016, 10:13:33 pm by Arthurs Bar »

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: April 6, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »
Your post moved me to tears, Arthurs Bar.  I was not at Hillsborough, so I cannot even begin to imagine what it was like then or has been like to live with it for all these long years.

It must have been an extremely gruelling and traumatic experience for you to re-live that awful day in the most minute detail, over and over again for the past two years.  I am in awe of your tremendous strength and courage to go through that ordeal, not only for yourself but for your friend.  And to speak for him and for all those whose voices can never be heard again, for their families and for other survivors, many of whom are broken and some who have taken their own lives.

Know that you have ensured that your friend and all those others have never walked alone because you have walked by their side.

You are a most exceptional person and a true red.  I wish you peace and a very happy future.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #474 on: April 6, 2016, 10:32:03 pm »
I've only ever been to 1 service and left before the end, just couldn't deal with it. I felt uncomfortable and almost a bit of a fraud for struggling with it all. I was nearly 13 in 1989 and in the stand opposite the dug outs, down in the corner. I was fine, just saw some horrific stuff I've now realised I have never dealt with.

My girlfriend has persuaded me to go this year and come with me. I am dreading it to be honest and anxious already. Good chance 27 years of whatever I have bottled up will all come out.

It doesn't help the tickets I ordered 3 weeks ago haven't arrived and club are saying I can collect replacements on the day. An added stress I can do without. I just want to get in the ground, find my seat and get myself ready. Hanging about the ticket office and worrying they will have no record of my seats is not helping.
JFT97

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: April 7, 2016, 12:35:17 am »
I've only ever been to 1 service and left before the end, just couldn't deal with it. I felt uncomfortable and almost a bit of a fraud for struggling with it all. I was nearly 13 in 1989 and in the stand opposite the dug outs, down in the corner. I was fine, just saw some horrific stuff I've now realised I have never dealt with.

My girlfriend has persuaded me to go this year and come with me. I am dreading it to be honest and anxious already. Good chance 27 years of whatever I have bottled up will all come out.

It doesn't help the tickets I ordered 3 weeks ago haven't arrived and club are saying I can collect replacements on the day. An added stress I can do without. I just want to get in the ground, find my seat and get myself ready. Hanging about the ticket office and worrying they will have no record of my seats is not helping.
You feelings are totally understandable, both the reaction to the horrific stuff you witnessed and feeling a 'fraud' because you know others went through much worse. That may be true but doesn't mean that your reaction is any less valid,  Hillsborough effected people in different ways and doing what it takes to come to terms with your feelings is sensible and you shouldn't feel guilty in any way and certainly not a fraud. I'm sure you'll deal with the Ticketing problem and hopefully you can start the process of coming to terms with the feelings you were left with as a 13 year old kid having to witness such a terrible event.

Offline SuperStevieNicol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #476 on: April 7, 2016, 01:48:48 pm »
Thanks The 92A, means a lot you took the time to post. Fingers crossed by the end of a week tomorrow I will be in a better place and have some sort of closure.
JFT97

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: April 8, 2016, 10:52:01 pm »
Hope things work out mate and even if things are fraught and strained just remember it's not your fault or your partners fault. No one goes to  a football match to witness or be involved in this the coverup is to blame for so many not being able to put this to bed.  Nothing else certainly not your 13 year old self or who you are today

Offline Arthurs Bar

• Kopite
« Reply #478 on: April 13, 2016, 06:57:35 pm »
Wrote this a couple of years ago...

Survivor

You were at that game, did what you could,
You tried to help, you understood.
Or you lay there helpless with injuries of your own,
As you watched tears falling from men fully grown.

How did you feel when you couldn't find your mate?
Did you feel guilt that you didn't share his fate?
How did you feel when you couldn't find your bud?
And later, when McKenzie dragged your name through the mud?

For some time you fight on feeling always alone,
Feelings of guilt most will never have known.
You try to tell people of how much you've cried,
But they cast you away, none of your family died.

You were told for so long that you don't understand the pain,
Of the lives that were taken at Leppings Lane.
Deep down you used to feel that you should have died,
Is it any wonder some were driven to suicide?

With the things that you saw, the pain in the eyes
Of the young lad who was next to you, whose mother still cries.
There are ninety-six who are never forgotten,
But how far the cost spreads makes me feel rotten.

So for the families of the dead I always pray,
And for the lives that were lost that day.
And while I do, I offer up another prayer,
Lord please watch over those who were there.

Please watch over the man who was stood in that stand,
Who tried desperately to grab hold of that young lad's hand.
So many people left counting the cost,
And Liverpool cries for the lives that it lost.

So well written. Thank you.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: April 13, 2016, 07:07:32 pm »
So well written. Thank you.

Indeed it is Athur.  For what you endured then, for what you suffered bearing witness for your mate and for all those who died and their families, for the emotilonal pain you  have suffered, may God hold his hand over you, keep you safe and bless you for all the days of your life.