Author Topic: Typhoid Trump: the not-smart, corrupt, coward, loser, thread  (Read 4571123 times)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ill Douche - Fungal Dick
« Reply #58520 on: October 17, 2019, 04:49:32 pm »
Sondland throwing Trump and Giuliani under the bus
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1067986?

Good.  Sondland might be a money grabber seeking self enrichment and personal enhancement but he also has bags of self interest too.  He has to throw them under the bus before they do the same to him.  Considering that Trump was holding off a Ukraine meeting until they publicly announced a Biden investigation - clearly after maximum political damage to his opponents - it's no wonder Sondland is going to jump ship.

The letter is indefensible idiocy that could end Trump's presidency faster than the Ukraine investigation.  His entire administration is unravelling right before our eyes.  I've seen today on MSNBC suggestions that Moscow Mitch would want to get a Senate impeachment vote done before the end of the year but I see no reason for Pelosi to play ball on that.  Dragging this out just a little bit longer gives Trump all the rope he needs to hang himself.

That said, the Democrats need to keep this simple and not allow all the side investigations to stall an impeachment trial.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #58521 on: October 17, 2019, 05:00:43 pm »
He's just a shit Monty Hall.

But Monty Hall couldn't be president. He was Canadian.

His show was far more real than the supposed reality star...
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58522 on: October 17, 2019, 05:01:37 pm »

He has a business to protect. Greed, the universal lubricant...
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58523 on: October 17, 2019, 05:27:05 pm »
This administration

Colorado Springs lawyer appointed by President Donald Trump to a federal education board is a prolific author of self-help Illuminati books whose education company has been accused of handing out certificates to undeserving applicants.

The White House announced last week that Trump had nominated George Mentz to the Commission on Presidential Scholars. His nomination does not require Senate confirmation.

[...]

Mentz’s books include “The Illuminati Secret Laws of Money,” “The Illuminati Handbook,” “50 Laws of Power of the Illuminati,” and “100 Secrets and Habits of the Illuminati for Life Success.” Nearly all of his works are about money and often center on mindfulness secrets to achieving wealth.

“If you conceive of your desire, you can then imagine that your goal will take place with belief, and then you will be able (to) retrieve the opportunity from the world’s storehouse of riches,” he wrote in a 2013 book, “Abundance Bible & the Secret Powers of Manifesting Wealth Health and Peace of Mind.”

“When a person stops struggling and initiates ALCHEMY OR MAGIC, SOMETHING HAPPENS,” Mentz wrote in another 2013 book, “Success Magic — The Prosperity Secret to Win with Magical Spiritual Power: How to Grow Rich, Influence People, Protect Your Mindset and Love Yourself Like a Warrior Using Timeless Abundance Secrets.” An e-book version is available for $2.99 on Amazon.

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/16/george-mentz-trump-presidential-scholars/

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #58524 on: October 17, 2019, 05:28:35 pm »

Don't think this makes things anyway worse for Trump. His defence is that he was legitimately looking into corruption in Ukraine and there was no quid pro quo. Nothing this guy is saying here will contradict this. The defence is a crock of shite of course but it's fine through the prism of plausible denieability.

In fact it's arguable that it helps him as Sondland quotes Trunp as saying a number of times no quid pro quo. Which is why the Dems need to concentrate on the fact that Trump asked the Ukranian President to investigate A political opponent in the first place - that's impeachable in its own right as a high misdemeanour. Don't get bogged down trying to prove a quid pro quo. Let the people/electorate work that bit out for themselves.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58525 on: October 17, 2019, 06:13:42 pm »
The man of the hour.

Popcorn's Art

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58526 on: October 17, 2019, 06:39:57 pm »
I can't keep up with the faking absurdity and corruption of this administration, and unfortunately that seems to be part of the point.  Impeach them all.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #58527 on: October 17, 2019, 06:44:40 pm »
The New York Times@nytimes
Breaking News: Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, said the U.S. froze aid partly to pressure Ukraine to investigate Democrats. He undercut President Trump's denials of a quid pro quo.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58528 on: October 17, 2019, 06:52:04 pm »
Breaking News: Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, said the U.S. froze aid partly to pressure Ukraine to investigate Democrats. He undercut President Trump's denials of a quid pro quo.

That's it.   That's basically it.  Trump. Is. Fucked.

The GOP's best defence now is that it's bad but not impeachable.  That simply wont wash.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:54:44 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58529 on: October 17, 2019, 06:55:36 pm »
Trump has chosen the location for the next G-7 leaders summit. It’s been awarded to...

The Trump Doral Golf Club.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-has-awarded-next-years-g-7-summit-of-world-leaders-to-his-miami-area-resort-the-white-house-said/2019/10/17/221b32d6-ef52-11e9-89eb-ec56cd414732_story.html

I mean the Trumps weren’t trying that hard to hide what they were up to in the first place, but all pretence has gone out the window in the last few months.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 06:57:40 pm by Kekuleyule y'all! »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58530 on: October 17, 2019, 06:58:30 pm »
‘He won’t profit’

So what about all the free advertising that it will give around the world when every single news story mentions where it’s being held?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #58531 on: October 17, 2019, 07:00:49 pm »
‘He won’t profit’

So what about all the free advertising that it will give around the world when every single news story mentions where it’s being held?

Well I asked him and he said he won't profit, so all good there.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58532 on: October 17, 2019, 07:18:24 pm »
Turkey to suspend Syria offensive, Mike Pence announces

Turkey has agreed to a ceasefire in northern Syria to let Kurdish-led forces withdraw, US Vice-President Mike Pence has announced.

All military operations will be paused for five days, and the US will help facilitate an "orderly withdrawal" of Kurdish-led troops from what Turkey has termed a "safe zone" on the border.

Turkey launched its assault last week.

It aimed to repel a Kurdish militia that it views as a terrorist group, and resettle Syrian refugees in the area.

Critics fear this could lead to ethnic cleansing of the local Kurdish population.

The cross-border offensive came after US President Donald Trump pulled US forces out of the border region.

His decision prompted a raft of criticism at home and abroad, with some accusing him of giving Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan a "green light" for the operation.

Mr Trump tweeted about the ceasefire before Mr Pence announced it, writing that "millions of lives will be saved!"

Mr Pence thanked Donald Trump's "strong leadership" during the announcement.

"He wanted a ceasefire. He wanted to stop the violence," the vice-president said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-50091305

Why would Turkey have disagreed with this? They have seemingly already achieved what they wanted to. Also, why should the Kurds leave their home?

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58533 on: October 17, 2019, 07:21:10 pm »

Predictable.

1 hide it
2 we didn't do it
3 it wasn't that bad
4 what about Obama, Clinton, Biden
5 it's normal for the president to do such things

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58534 on: October 17, 2019, 07:21:30 pm »
‘He won’t profit’

Don’t these places usually get a bit of spit and polish and the odd bit of renovation before an event like this? Who’s paying for that then? They might not profit in terms of cold hard cash but I bet they get a load of work done for free.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #58535 on: October 17, 2019, 07:54:02 pm »
Turkey to suspend Syria offensive, Mike Pence announces

Hitler declares a cease fire to allow Polish troops to retreat.
Kill the humourless

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58536 on: October 17, 2019, 07:55:44 pm »
PKK will start bombing attacks as soon as opposition forces are in place and having dinner.

I'd only be more afraid of Gurkhas.
Kill the humourless

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #58537 on: October 17, 2019, 08:15:38 pm »

That's it.   That's basically it.  Trump. Is. Fucked.
Yep, that’s it.  And if America lets this pass, then god help us all.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58538 on: October 17, 2019, 08:15:59 pm »
Hitler declares a cease fire to allow Polish troops to retreat.

"We have peace in our time..."

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58539 on: October 17, 2019, 09:12:07 pm »
If he can't get impeached after this, he never will.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58540 on: October 17, 2019, 09:32:34 pm »

Trump impeachment: White House admits aid held up partly over Democrats

A senior White House official has admitted military aid to Ukraine was withheld partly to pressure Kyiv to investigate allegations on the Democrats and the 2016 election.

Acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney said President Trump had mentioned Democrat "corruption".

But Mr Trump was also concerned about wider corruption in Ukraine, he said.

"That's why we held up the money," he said, calling it "absolutely appropriate".

The question of whether military aid for Ukraine was withheld in exchange for a "quid pro quo" to investigate Donald Trump's political rivals is central to an ongoing impeachment inquiry against the president.

The White House has denied any such conditions were imposed.

Briefing reporters on Thursday, Mr Mulvaney gave a lengthy answer to a question about Ukraine, saying the president had told him Ukraine was a "corrupt place" and that Mr Trump didn't want to spend aid and "have them use it to line their own pockets".

Mr Mulvaney also said that the president "did not like" that European countries weren't providing much military aid to Ukraine.

"Those were the driving factors," he said. "Did he also mention to me in past the corruption related to the DNC [Democratic National Convention] server? Absolutely. No question about that.

"But that's it. That's why we held up the money."

The server refers to unsubstantiated claims that Democrats have a computer server hidden somewhere in Ukraine, undermining allegations that Russia did not help President Trump win the 2016 election.

When reporters put to him that he had described a "quid pro quo", Mr Mulvaney replied: "We do that all the time with foreign policy".

"There's going to be political influence in foreign policy. That is going to happen. Elections have consequences. And foreign policy is going to change from the Obama administration to the Trump administration," he said.

He also said that the move had been made in connection with "an ongoing investigation by our Department of Justice".

But a senior Justice Department official told CBS News: "If the White House was withholding aid in regards to the cooperation with any investigation at the Department of Justice, that is news to us."

A person familiar with the reaction inside the department said officials were "utterly confused" and "angry" at Mr Mulvaney for saying the aid was withheld in connection to an investigation, CBS reports.

Mr Trump is also accused of pressuring Ukraine to investigate Joe Biden - a main rival for the 2020 presidential election.

But the acting chief of staff rebuffed that suggestion, saying the money being held up "had nothing to do with [Joseph] Biden"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50087392

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58541 on: October 17, 2019, 09:41:13 pm »
Trying to create a grey area where none should exist.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58542 on: October 17, 2019, 10:34:13 pm »
Deny the denial.

Classic Cohn.
Kill the humourless

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58543 on: October 17, 2019, 11:15:27 pm »
It's hard to keep up, hour by hour, with this shitshow.

Rick Perry informs Trump of his plans to resign as scrutiny over Ukraine heats up

...Perry's resignation comes amid scrutiny over his role in the Trump administration's dealings with Ukraine. White House acting chief of staff Mick Mulvaney confirmed Thursday that the President asked Perry to work with Trump's personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, on policies related to Ukraine, but Mulvaney denied that their work was part of a "shadow foreign policy" effort. Perry was one of the "three amigos" leading US relations with the country, meeting three times with Zelensky...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/17/politics/rick-perry-planned-resignation/index.html
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58544 on: October 17, 2019, 11:17:54 pm »
Deny the denial.

Classic Cohn.
Indeed. And remember this gem?

When you tell me that, you know, he should testify because he’s going to tell the truth and he shouldn’t worry, well that’s so silly because it’s somebody’s version of the truth. Not the truth,” Giuliani told Chuck Todd on NBC’s “Meet the Press” on Sunday morning

“Truth is truth,” Todd responded.

“No, no, it isn’t truth,” Giuliani said. “Truth isn’t truth. The President of the United States says, “I didn’t …”

A startled Todd answered: “Truth isn’t truth?”

Giuliani: “No, no, no.”
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58545 on: October 18, 2019, 12:04:04 am »
The only reason they admit any of this is because they're either trying to save themselves or because they dont think they'll face any consequences.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58546 on: October 18, 2019, 12:40:35 am »
Mulvaney telling people to get over quid pro quo and that it happens all the time. This attempt to rewrite protocol and precedent needs to be slapped down hard. Its infuriating how Trump's people try to normalize unacceptable, illegal and corrupt behaviour.

Popcorn's Art

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58547 on: October 18, 2019, 12:45:33 am »
Mulvaney telling people to get over quid pro quo and that it happens all the time. This attempt to rewrite protocol and precedent needs to be slapped down hard. Its infuriating how Trump's people try to normalize unacceptable, illegal and corrupt behaviour.

The standard they even aim for is : is it explicitly illegal?  Asking the ethical questions an obvious non consideration
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58548 on: October 18, 2019, 01:14:45 am »
Deny denying the denial:

Bloomberg
Mulvaney Denies Admitting Quid Pro Quo on Ukraine Military Aid
 Jennifer A. Dlouhy and Ben Brody
1 hr ago

Let me be clear, there was absolutely no quid pro quo between Ukrainian military aid and any investigation into the 2016 election,” Mulvaney said in a statement on Thursday evening. “The president never told me to withhold any money until the Ukrainians did anything related to the server. The only reasons we were holding the money was because of concern about lack of support from other nations and concerns over corruption.“

Mulvaney’s statement runs counter to remarks earlier Thursday when he effectively acknowledged that Trump offered Ukraine a quid pro quo for military aid, but tied it to demands that the country investigate the origins of the Russian election interference probe -- and not Joe Biden and his son.

“Get over it,” Mulvaney said at a White House press briefing, adding there’s always “going to be political influence in foreign policy” and “elections have consequences.”

The top aide, who placed the hold on aid to Ukraine, provided some of the administration’s most extensive comments about the uproar over Ukraine that has fueled an impeachment inquiry by House Democrats.

“The money held up has absolutely nothing to do with Biden,” Mulvaney said.

But Democrats zeroed in on Mulvaney’s earlier comments that the decision to hold back funding was connected to Trump’s determination that Ukraine investigate what he maintains was Democratic wrongdoing during the 2016 campaign.

Adam Schiff, the California Democrat who’s head of the Intelligence Committee and is one of the leaders of the impeachment inquiry, tweeted that “Things just went from very, very bad to much, much worse.”

In an indication that Mulvaney’s effort to justify Trump’s actions backfired, Jay Sekulow, the president’s counsel, said in a statement that “the president’s legal counsel was not involved in Acting Chief of Staff Mick Mulvaney’s press briefing.”

Many Republican lawmakers have have been ducking questions about whether tying aid to a political goal was appropriate, but Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski was more direct after Mulvaney’s performance.

“You don’t hold up foreign aid that we had previously appropriated for a political initiative. Period,” she told reporters. She said she hadn’t heard Mulvaney’s remarks and wanted to study them before commenting on whether how he described amounted to an impeachable offense.

Mulvaney suspended aid shortly before Trump told Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskiy in a July 25 phone call that he wanted him “to do us a favor” and that “there’s a lot of talk about Biden’s son, that Biden stopped” a prosecution in Ukraine.

Trump has embraced discredited claims that Biden sought to oust a prosecutor to halt investigations about his son Hunter’s service on the board of a Ukrainian gas company.

Mulvaney said at the briefing that the delay in aid to Ukraine was related instead to what he described as legitimate concerns about “corruption of the country,” including “corruption related to the DNC server.”

But his statement later said: “There was never any connection between the funds and the Ukrainians doing anything with the server -- this was made explicitly obvious by the fact that the aid money was delivered without any action on the part of the Ukrainians regarding the server.”

Trump has suggested that Ukrainians and Democrats -- not Russian operatives -- were involved in the breach of a Democratic National Committee server in 2016 that resulted in the release of internal emails. On his call with Zelenskiy, Trump brought up “the server -- they say Ukraine has it.”

Thomas Bossert, who served as Trump’s first homeland security adviser, has said that he told the president there was no basis for the conspiracy theory that Ukraine was involved with the server and that he was “deeply disturbed” that Trump couldn’t distinguish truth from fiction.

Mulvaney said that “a look back to what happened in 2016 certainly was part of the thing he was worried about in corruption with that nation, and that is absolutely appropriate.”

Mulvaney said one reason Trump ordered aid withheld from Ukraine was to get the country to cooperate with a continuing investigation by U.S. Attorney John Durham, who is looking into Republican assertions that the investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election was tainted in its early stages by anti-Trump bias.

But the Justice Department has no idea what Mulvaney was referring to, according to a department official who said that Attorney General William Barr hasn’t been asked by the White House to investigate anything concerning Ukraine. The department has never said whether Durham is looking into the DNC server angle.

Officials at the department were confused and angry that Mulvaney invoked the Justice Department inquiry, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Mulvaney, who technically remains the White House budget director, cited assertions that holding up the aid “would be illegal.” He allowed that there’s “a little shred of truth in it” and that the budget office was concerned that the holdup in funds would amount to a prohibited “impoundment” if it had continued past the end of the fiscal year in September without “a really, really good reason.”

Mulvaney also defended the role of Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, in Ukraine-related matters. “You may not like the fact that Giuliani was involved. That is great, that’s fine. It’s not illegal, it is not impeachable,” he said. “The president gets to use whoever he wants to use.”

He said Trump’s biggest reason to withhold aid is that “as vocal as the Europeans are on supporting Ukraine, they’re really, really stingy when it comes to lethal aid. The president did not like that.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mulvaney-denies-admitting-quid-pro-quo-on-ukraine-military-aid/ar-AAIWsRa

Shitshow extraordinaire.

It's like a bad novel.

Lethal aid FFS??

Isn't that what the indigent get?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:19:18 am by jambutty »
Kill the humourless

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #58549 on: October 18, 2019, 11:43:06 am »

Offline soxfan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58550 on: October 18, 2019, 11:51:40 am »
James ‘most overrated general’ Mattis roasts Trump.... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-50094679/james-mattis-mocks-donald-trump-at-gala-dinner

;D
Some good jokes at Trump's expense for sure there. :D

But the part that resonated with me most was this:
But Mattis quickly moved on from the jokes and picked up a more serious tone, citing a speech that Abraham Lincoln gave in 1838 to the Young Men's Lyceum of Springfield, Ill.

In it, Lincoln "observed great nations crumble for one of two reasons," the first being foreign invasion, Mattis said, which the future president dismissed as "inconceivable."

The second, he said, paraphrasing Lincoln, "was corrosion from within – the rot, the viciousness, the lassitude, the ignorance."

"Anarchy is one potential consequence of all this. The other is the rise of an ambitious leader, unfettered by conscience, or precedent or decency, who would make himself supreme," he said.
Mattis is arguably the most respected, by both sides, ex-Trump appointee. I have been disappointed by his relative silence. He could help bring down the "leader, unfettered by conscience, or precedent or decency, who would make himself supreme". Mattis showed great courage on the battlefield. It's time he showed that courage in his country's hour of need, by telling the world of Trump's sins.
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58551 on: October 18, 2019, 12:24:46 pm »

But the part that resonated with me most was this:Mattis is arguably the most respected, by both sides, ex-Trump appointee. I have been disappointed by his relative silence. He could help bring down the "leader, unfettered by conscience, or precedent or decency, who would make himself supreme". Mattis showed great courage on the battlefield. It's time he showed that courage in his country's hour of need, by telling the world of Trump's sins.

That is the problem of having professional soldiers in cabinet. They follow orders and bite their lip. Kelly, McMaster, Mattis...all silent. We saw the same thing with Colin Powell. He was used to sell the Iraq War.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58552 on: October 18, 2019, 01:28:30 pm »
That is the problem of having professional soldiers in cabinet. They follow orders and bite their lip. Kelly, McMaster, Mattis...all silent. We saw the same thing with Colin Powell. He was used to sell the Iraq War.

Amazing how breaking all protocol and precedent never seems to be a problem for the bad guys, but people if supposed integrity view precedent as a straight jacket and ball gag.

That Matgis speech is basically him saying,  "theres nasty shit and j hope some of you can stop it because I really dont want to have to get involved."

Politics seems to erode your dignity and moral fiber.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #58553 on: October 18, 2019, 01:29:41 pm »

It basically comes down to how much are you willing to ignore to get what you want.

It's trump presidency in a nutshell.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58554 on: October 18, 2019, 01:37:41 pm »
It basically comes down to how much are you willing to ignore to get what you want.

It's trump presidency in a nutshell.

I'd liked to know what Mattis thinks he got out of this. Hope it was worth it for him.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58555 on: October 18, 2019, 01:51:27 pm »
Amazing how breaking all protocol and precedent never seems to be a problem for the bad guys, but people if supposed integrity view precedent as a straight jacket and ball gag.

That Matgis speech is basically him saying,  "theres nasty shit and j hope some of you can stop it because I really dont want to have to get involved."

I don't know about that. I think ex-military are institutionalists. They don't see it as their role to criticise or be whistleblowers. State department, FBI, etc. Are guilty of the same thing. They want to apear neutral for the sake of the institution. Comey felt the need to reopen the Clinton investigation in 2016 out of duty. Mueller did not force Trump to testify out of duty.

Trump counts on that. He is testing the limits of all norms.

Hopefully this Syria debacle makes the stink hit a few noses that don't want to smell anything foul.

Syria seems to be a turning point.

Offline jambutty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58556 on: October 18, 2019, 02:30:58 pm »
, unfettered by conscience, or precedent or decency, who would make himself supreme".

That should be the ad that bombards the Yank public.
Kill the humourless

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58557 on: October 18, 2019, 03:07:50 pm »
I don't know about that. I think ex-military are institutionalists. They don't see it as their role to criticise or be whistleblowers. State department, FBI, etc. Are guilty of the same thing. They want to apear neutral for the sake of the institution. Comey felt the need to reopen the Clinton investigation in 2016 out of duty. Mueller did not force Trump to testify out of duty.

Trump counts on that. He is testing the limits of all norms.

Hopefully this Syria debacle makes the stink hit a few noses that don't want to smell anything foul.

Syria seems to be a turning point.

Which is why people have to do things differently.  The political weaponising of loophools and ignoring precedent and common political decency in favour of hyper-partisanship is going to rapidly corrode the US constitution from the inside out - unless people of calibre summon up the courage to stand up for it. 

It might not be the kind of sacrifice Mattis had in mind when he fist swore his oath years ago; but it's the sacrifice his country needs right now.  The GOP have shown that if it isn't nailed down they will steal it or break it; so the constitution itself needs an overhaul to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future - when somebody with all Trump's lust for power and none of his inherent weaknesses steps up to the plate.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58558 on: October 18, 2019, 05:33:00 pm »

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58559 on: October 18, 2019, 06:48:45 pm »

But the part that resonated with me most was this:Mattis is arguably the most respected, by both sides, ex-Trump appointee. I have been disappointed by his relative silence. He could help bring down the "leader, unfettered by conscience, or precedent or decency, who would make himself supreme". Mattis showed great courage on the battlefield. It's time he showed that courage in his country's hour of need, by telling the world of Trump's sins.
Good post and quote that mate.