Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1309334 times)

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Winning Title #19*
« Reply #14400 on: August 12, 2020, 02:10:00 pm »
It really does baffle me people saying to stop enjoying winning a trophy ;D

Enjoy it as long as you want. Fordy, if you want to stop once the season starts then that’s your prerogative but many are probably still enjoying us winning the CL let alone the league!

I don't know about anyone else, but I still celebrate winning the European Cup last year, as if we lifted it last week. And will continue doing so :D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14401 on: August 12, 2020, 02:12:59 pm »
You do that mate...

You'r about to set a record for a number of baffling thing said in one month. Well done  :D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14402 on: August 12, 2020, 03:22:43 pm »
I don't know about anyone else, but I still celebrate winning the European Cup last year, as if we lifted it last week. And will continue doing so :D

Was only about 2 weeks ago I learned the words to the new verse of We Won It 5 Times. I'm dining out on that for ages yet.

We're still Premier League champions until someone else wins it. I'll celebrate it until then. I'm not a player, or coach or connected to the club in any way apart from being a supporter. There is literally no reason at all that can be given for saying we, as supporters, should stop celebrating and concentrate on the season ahead.

I'm guessing when the parade happens, Fordy won't be going as it'll be in the new season  ::)
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14403 on: August 12, 2020, 03:25:54 pm »

I'm still celebrating the one in 2005.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #14404 on: August 12, 2020, 03:27:20 pm »
Same here. I watch videos of last years CL run all the time, still on a high from that campaign.

That's the best thing about winning trophies. Instead of all the hungover anguish you get with the likes of the 2014 title race, you can just lap up all the glory. I don't intend on stopping anytime soon.

Offline Lynx the saucy mynx

• Kopite
« Reply #14405 on: August 12, 2020, 03:44:54 pm »
I'm still celebrating the one in 2005.

I remember thinking at the parade the next day I'm so glad we have finally won the Champions League again. Because we can finally celebrate Istanbul for what it is again.

I would say from 2005 up until about 2012 it was nice to live on a high off of it, but as the 2010s wore on I wanted a new story to be our latest triumph. Istanbul had been milked to death.

Now we have the 2019 win as the fresh European Cup win, Istanbul is no longer the one we "milk to death" anymore. We can celebrate it again in all its glory, while we milk the latest glory.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14406 on: August 12, 2020, 05:06:37 pm »
Players return to training of Saturday...Let's enjoy this PL win then all attention on the new season.

As someone who is old enough to remember the last win and was one of those who got complacent, can I just say that your post is a load of bollocks  :D 8)

We didn't spend long enough enjoying our titles in the past and then spent 30 years craving one. There are 19 teams who are yet to be reminded that we have won the Premier League, there are 30 years of abuse to ram down peoples throats and there is a lot of celebrating still to be done.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14407 on: August 12, 2020, 05:11:16 pm »
I remember thinking at the parade the next day I'm so glad we have finally won the Champions League again. Because we can finally celebrate Istanbul for what it is again.

I would say from 2005 up until about 2012 it was nice to live on a high off of it, but as the 2010s wore on I wanted a new story to be our latest triumph. Istanbul had been milked to death.

Now we have the 2019 win as the fresh European Cup win, Istanbul is no longer the one we "milk to death" anymore. We can celebrate it again in all its glory, while we milk the latest glory.

Lynx No Longer the Milk Cow
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #14408 on: August 12, 2020, 05:31:26 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't we still be Champions when the new season starts and therefore have at least till next May/June to enjoy it?
Yes we are!

I'm soooo looking forward to seeing our ribbons on that thing on all the TV shows

:champ

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14409 on: August 12, 2020, 06:11:59 pm »
You'r about to set a record for a number of baffling thing said in one month. Well done  :D

Never rule out Andy with a late charge.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #14410 on: August 12, 2020, 06:13:44 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong but won't we still be Champions when the new season starts and therefore have at least till next May/June to enjoy it?
We are reigning League Champions until the trophy is lifted again at the end of the coming season.  8) :champ 8)

I'm celebrating until then, and hopefully afterwards too.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14411 on: August 12, 2020, 06:15:25 pm »

;D I might brake it at this rate mate  ;D

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14412 on: August 12, 2020, 06:24:22 pm »
That would make this a clutch season for you
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14413 on: August 12, 2020, 07:04:08 pm »
Never rule out Andy with a late charge.

:D

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14414 on: August 12, 2020, 07:07:32 pm »

Yes, slowing down is a good idea.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14415 on: August 12, 2020, 07:07:52 pm »

....and another!
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14416 on: August 12, 2020, 07:15:03 pm »
Yes we are!

I'm soooo looking forward to seeing our ribbons on that thing on all the TV shows

:champ
Same here mate.

I'm also looking forward to the parade as and when that actually happens.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14417 on: August 12, 2020, 07:16:24 pm »
We are reigning League Champions until the trophy is lifted again at the end of the coming season.  8) :champ 8)

I'm celebrating until then, and hopefully afterwards too.  :)
We still have loads of celebrating to do mate.

I can't wait for the parade [emoji16]

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #14418 on: August 12, 2020, 07:17:53 pm »
I know people in the States, who would consider travelling for the once-in-a-lifetime 30-year title parade. Perhaps people from the Far East and Australia as well as countries in between might also want to come.

By "once-in-a-lifetime 30-year title parade" do you mean these people prepared to travel thousands of miles, are
(a) thinking that us winning the league might not happen again in their lifetimes, so they need to witness this one at least
OR
(b) thinking that because it's the title parade after a 30-year wait, it'll potentially be like no other title parade before or after, i.e. a bit unique and therefore something to behold

?

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14419 on: August 12, 2020, 07:25:47 pm »
I think it's probably the latter mate.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #14420 on: August 12, 2020, 09:10:33 pm »
By "once-in-a-lifetime 30-year title parade" do you mean these people prepared to travel thousands of miles, are
(a) thinking that us winning the league might not happen again in their lifetimes, so they need to witness this one at least
OR
(b) thinking that because it's the title parade after a 30-year wait, it'll potentially be like no other title parade before or after, i.e. a bit unique and therefore something to behold

?
Hmm

Difficult one this...

Fishing or....nah, gotta be fishing

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14421 on: August 12, 2020, 11:59:00 pm »
Ha yes, definitely b).

I thought that was pretty obvious. We'll certainly be winning more league titles, starting with this coming season
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14422 on: August 13, 2020, 10:26:14 am »
Ha yes, definitely b).

I thought that was pretty obvious. We'll certainly be winning more league titles, starting with this coming season

We thought that in 1990.

I've learned from that never to take title wins lightly or for granted ever again.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #14423 on: August 13, 2020, 12:26:40 pm »
Ha yes, definitely b).

Thanks for reply. I wasn't 'trolling' - i was genuinely asking, in particular thinking of fans travelling from the US just for the parade.
My own personal feeling was that this was quite a big sacrifice just for a parade.
Lemme explain..
These are only personal feelings, so I might be alone in thinking and feeling this way.
I grew up in the 80s with us lot winning everything, or we certainly had the feeling (based on results and performances) that we could win everything and we were the best team in the land(s). LFC was the benchmark for all other teams.
So when we 'declined' and dropped below other teams we became a bit more ordinary. Sort of like losing some 'super powers' or whatnot.
That's why us winning the treble in 2001 or, more starkly, us 'miraculously' winning big ears in 2005 were real, real, REAL releases of pent up energy and excitement.
But with Klopp now coming in and moulding this team and club into what it now is, which is pretty much how it felt in our heydays, it almost feels like we are 'invincible' again - so I am expecting title after title, cup after cup.
For me, the parade will be MASSIVE.
But, as an 'old head' I'm actually more looking forward to celebrating when we retain the league... partly because that will really and truly feel like normal service has been resumed.

Like I said, those are just my personal feelings. Apologies if I haven't been able to capture them in the words above!

We thought that in 1990.

I've learned from that never to take title wins lightly or for granted ever again.
And then you posted this!  ;D

It's true. We should learn from thinking we were shoe-ins for the title each year to going to never winning it again  for 30 years.

But for me, it's not so much as taking it for granted, as thinking that our club will never make those same mistakes again that caused us to wait 30 years (mismanagement etc.)

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14424 on: August 13, 2020, 01:23:18 pm »
But for me, it's not so much as taking it for granted, as thinking that our club will never make those same mistakes again that caused us to wait 30 years (mismanagement etc.)

Never say never in life.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14425 on: August 13, 2020, 01:47:25 pm »

As we've seen this year, strange things can happen and can derail everything.

1990, we know why he walked, but when Kenny left we fell apart, we made decisions at the time that seemed sound, Souness wasn't an appt that scared us, but look at the damage he did. If something happened to Jurgen (Fowler forbid), would the next manager be up to the job. The Mancs thought once Fergie went things would roll on, 7 years later and not a sniff of winning the league.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #14426 on: August 13, 2020, 02:20:17 pm »
Went to a familier dinner last night and my uncle was drunk before we arrived, proper miserable auld arse in his 70s.

Started calling Klopp a clown over and over because he fucked off the League and FA Cup, said he did a disservice to the fans who want a day out at Wembly. Then starting raving about how awesome it was that Arsenal won it.

Had to stop my brother from exploding on him, honestly was the worst take I've ever seen from a supposed supporter.
:D

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #14427 on: August 13, 2020, 02:26:18 pm »
I'm 50, and I've never been to a parade before...  even when I was living in Liverpool in the 90's (and despite going to games).

I nearly got my arse in gear last year, but was in Wales with my mum on June 1.

I might go to this one.  You only get so many chances. :D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14428 on: August 13, 2020, 02:27:01 pm »
Went to a familier dinner last night and my uncle was drunk before we arrived, proper miserable auld arse in his 70s.

Started calling Klopp a clown over and over because he fucked off the League and FA Cup, said he did a disservice to the fans who want a day out at Wembly. Then starting raving about how awesome it was that Arsenal won it.

Had to stop my brother from exploding on him, honestly was the worst take I've ever seen from a supposed supporter.

Just goes to show that people are just miserable and will never be satisfied.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #14429 on: August 13, 2020, 02:33:55 pm »
Does your uncle also make out like he’s a transfer ITK and bigs up Charlie Adam constantly...?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #14430 on: August 13, 2020, 02:36:03 pm »
Does your uncle also make out like he’s a transfer ITK and bigs up Charlie Adam constantly...?

;D
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #14431 on: August 13, 2020, 02:38:07 pm »

Or disparage select players for being too egotistical and not respecting the club's modest, Scouse character?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14432 on: August 13, 2020, 02:56:47 pm »
In other news, replays in the FA cup have been binned for this upcoming season

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14433 on: August 13, 2020, 04:44:38 pm »
Thanks for reply. I wasn't 'trolling' - i was genuinely asking, in particular thinking of fans travelling from the US just for the parade.
My own personal feeling was that this was quite a big sacrifice just for a parade.
Lemme explain..
These are only personal feelings, so I might be alone in thinking and feeling this way.
I grew up in the 80s with us lot winning everything, or we certainly had the feeling (based on results and performances) that we could win everything and we were the best team in the land(s). LFC was the benchmark for all other teams.
So when we 'declined' and dropped below other teams we became a bit more ordinary. Sort of like losing some 'super powers' or whatnot.
That's why us winning the treble in 2001 or, more starkly, us 'miraculously' winning big ears in 2005 were real, real, REAL releases of pent up energy and excitement.
But with Klopp now coming in and moulding this team and club into what it now is, which is pretty much how it felt in our heydays, it almost feels like we are 'invincible' again - so I am expecting title after title, cup after cup.
For me, the parade will be MASSIVE.
But, as an 'old head' I'm actually more looking forward to celebrating when we retain the league... partly because that will really and truly feel like normal service has been resumed.

Like I said, those are just my personal feelings. Apologies if I haven't been able to capture them in the words above!
And then you posted this!  ;D

It's true. We should learn from thinking we were shoe-ins for the title each year to going to never winning it again  for 30 years.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense what you are saying about retaining the title, which will be another party of epic wonder - not least as we can stuff it to those Mancs flinging Leicester City and Blackburn badges our way (why would you create hostages to fortune like that?).

For some non-British fans I know this year's parade was high on the list of ''must attend'' perhaps as a moment of catharsis and a sloughing off of an old and long-carried burden. In all honesty I don't know if they will still make the journey for a delayed parade. Perhaps the emotional fervour will have levelled off somewhat and individuals may look wryly at their bank balances and choose to enjoy it from a distance. (Some of them are well-off buggers, mind)

As for ''learning'' from 1990, I understand the sentiment, especially for those burned back then but I also think we need to move on from it as well. Enthusiasm and optimism and belief in this manager and team are what lead me to make grandiose claims about retaining the tile and winning lots more. I know really that there are no guarantees, but I also like to think we can discard the burden of past events and slip freely and hopefully into whatever future awaits.

If we fail to retain the title and fail win it the following year as well, I don't like the thought that '90s-anxiety will get a grip of the fanbase. This kind of thing can be toxic if not checked.

The same when Jurgen leaves. If we mentally equate it with Kenny leaving and start believing that that's it, the golden period is over and start expecting a new drought and history repeating itself, it'll be bad for moral and be an unfair burden upon his successor.

Anyway, these are all minor worries and we shouldn't let them detract from the now. These are the days of miracles and wonder...

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #14434 on: August 13, 2020, 06:34:59 pm »
In other news, replays in the FA cup have been binned for this upcoming season

Replays should be binned for every cup.

Back to the reds.

I can't, well maybe I can, believe that some fans are beginning to worry about not retaining the title and Klopp leaving - really?

Talk about glass half empty.

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14435 on: August 13, 2020, 06:38:35 pm »
I like replays

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #14436 on: August 13, 2020, 06:40:06 pm »
I like replays

Whaaaaaaaa?

Surely not?

I remember one game back in the 80s were they replayed (not us) a game about 100 times - and I'm not making that up  :wave

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online Ghost Town

• Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #14437 on: August 13, 2020, 06:57:09 pm »
Whaaaaaaaa?

Surely not?

I remember one game back in the 80s were they replayed (not us) a game about 100 times - and I'm not making that up  :wave
Yeh I've heard about that. It has a kind of strange poetic beauty to it, continuing to play for eternity if need be until there is a true winner.

I guess I just like having another chance if we don't manage to win fair and square in a one-off game. Never been a huge fan of penalty shootouts; it's a system of determination based around failure rather than positive actions.

And more chances to watch us is always good. I appreciate there are fixture congestion concerns, of course.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #14438 on: August 13, 2020, 07:11:08 pm »
Whaaaaaaaa?

Surely not?

They should go back to tossing a coin to decide who wins.

Today (23rd March 2015) marks 50 years since Liverpool won an incredible European tie on the toss of a coin against Cologne.

It was an epic European Cup contest for Bill Shankly's men as, following three draws and even a postponement, nothing could separate the Reds and Cologne in March 1965.

Goals from Ian St John and Roger Hunt put Liverpool in the driving seat in the neutral venue of Feyenoord FC, Rotterdam - but Cologne came back to 2-2.

After 300 minutes of football, including another gruelling period of extra-time, the outcome was to be decided by the toss of a coin, and even then it wasn't as straightforward as people think.

Referee Robert Schaut from Belgium was the man at the centre of attention as Yeats and Cologne skipper Wolfgang Overath approached the centre circle.

Reflecting on the incident, Yeats said: "I got in first to the referee and said 'I'll have tails'. Lucky for me the referee said, 'OK. Liverpool tails, Cologne heads.'

"Up it went and it stuck in a divot. I said to the referee, 'Ref, you're going to have to retoss the coin'. And he went 'You're right, Mr Yeats.'

"I thought the German captain was going to hit him. He was going berserk because it was falling over on the heads. He picked it up, up it went again, and came down tails.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/182336-50-years-on-coin-toss-downs-cologne
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #14439 on: August 13, 2020, 07:18:50 pm »
Us vs Arsenal FA cup semi from 1980 is the most famous one isn't it, that had 4 replays, thanks to Kenny equalising in the 91st minute in the 3rd replay, we ended up losing the 4th replay though. :no
#Sausages