Author Topic: 96 Avenue  (Read 9547 times)

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
96 Avenue
« on: September 8, 2016, 03:03:01 pm »
....is a fantastic place and an amazing tribute to all our lost friends. Well done to all concerned.

96 Avenue

Where many streets stand no more.
A new Avenue exists in Liverpool 4.
This demolished area has a new face.
A brand new Avenue now in its place.

Along side Liverpool's new Main Stand.
'96 Avenue' now occupies that land.
The Hillsborough memorial now is there.
Of flowers and tributes it'll never be bare.

A tree lined Avenue, in time they'll grow.
An Eternal flame, that will forever glow.
In memory of the 96 this Avenue will be.
A fitting tribute for all the world to see.

So if you're a visitor to our City one day.
Take a peaceful walk down Anfield way.
Visit 96 Avenue be it wind, rain or shine.
And maybe say a little prayer in that time.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2016, 08:54:25 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Yorkshirered

• Main Stander
Re: 96 Avenue
« Reply #1 on: September 9, 2016, 06:23:18 am »
And that my friend, accompanies it perfectly.
Let's all laugh at Everton

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 9, 2016, 07:46:38 am »
Fine words. I was very pleased when I saw the sign on here yesterday

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 9, 2016, 02:12:21 pm »
I couldn't disagree more. I think it comes across unbelievably tacky.

However, the families have given it their blessing and that's all that matters really.
cyas

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: September 9, 2016, 03:10:55 pm »
I like it........... just wish the L4 was below the "Avenue" and not to the side of it......so it was balanced........ OCD!!!

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
« Reply #5 on: September 9, 2016, 03:27:47 pm »
I like it........... just wish the L4 was below the "Avenue" and not to the side of it......so it was balanced........ OCD!!!

But that is what all Liverpool road signs look like...

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #6 on: September 9, 2016, 03:31:25 pm »

They are all like that with the area code alongside the road name (Road, Street, Avenue, etc.)

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 9, 2016, 03:33:40 pm »
I couldn't disagree more. I think it comes across unbelievably tacky.

However, the families have given it their blessing and that's all that matters really.

THIS

It doesn't sit right with me.  The Club wanted nothing to do with HJC and did nothing to support them.  The verdict gets overturned and it now feels like they're using it as a USP.

Also, the memorial is back in it's rightful place.  It still lists each name individually and the age they sadly died.  It doesn't brandish 96 about like some kind of brand.

Still, some of the familes like it and I haven't heard the others object and that's the main thing.  Personally, I'll be avoiding it.  I don't want to reminisce over the day every time I go the match. 
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #8 on: September 9, 2016, 03:35:38 pm »
THIS

It doesn't sit right with me.  The Club wanted nothing to do with HJC and did nothing to support them.  The verdict gets overturned and it now feels like they're using it as a USP.

Also, the memorial is back in it's rightful place.  It still lists each name individually and the age they sadly died.  It doesn't brandish 96 about like some kind of brand.

Still, some of the familes like it and I haven't heard the others object and that's the main thing.  Personally, I'll be avoiding it.  I don't want to reminisce over the day every time I go the match.

The idea came from the council didn't it? Not the club.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 9, 2016, 03:38:10 pm »
The idea came from the council didn't it? Not the club.

Didn't know that, but it still feels like 96 is becoming a brand.  But if the families approve I wont argue much.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #10 on: September 9, 2016, 03:41:41 pm »
Didn't know that, but it still feels like 96 is becoming a brand.  But if the families approve I wont argue much.

I seem to remember it was a comment made from Anderson when he was talking about there being an Avenue coming through the park, and he threw out the idea of it maybe being called 96 Avenue. Could be wrong but sure that's the origin of it.

As for it being a brand, it really depends if the club starts to try to profit off it. I see no issue with the number 96 being pushed as something to remember (on the shirts, etc) and no problem with a memorial avenue like this being called 96 Avenue. As long as replica street signs aren't then sold for profit to the club (to the HJC fine).

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 9, 2016, 03:52:15 pm »
As for it being a brand, it really depends if the club starts to try to profit off it. I see no issue with the number 96 being pushed as something to remember (on the shirts, etc)
Pushing replicas with '96' on the back is fucking crass, and if they ever do it again they should rightfully be chased out of town for it.

Why people would even want to wear one is something i've never understood.
cyas

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 9, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »
I seem to remember it was a comment made from Anderson when he was talking about there being an Avenue coming through the park, and he threw out the idea of it maybe being called 96 Avenue. Could be wrong but sure that's the origin of it.

As for it being a brand, it really depends if the club starts to try to profit off it. I see no issue with the number 96 being pushed as something to remember (on the shirts, etc) and no problem with a memorial avenue like this being called 96 Avenue. As long as replica street signs aren't then sold for profit to the club (to the HJC fine).

I think at the inquests, such a good job was done at giving the "96" their own identity (just like the memorial does), it's a back track to do this, regardless of who came up with the idea.  When people are taking their selfies on 96 Avenue, it's going to make me wonder if any of them can name one person who died at Hillsborough.  I was there and on the 15th April each year I'll pay my respects, I don't want to be reminded of that horrible day every time I go the match though.

But as I said, as long as all the families approve of it my opinion doesn't matter.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 9, 2016, 03:55:02 pm »
Pushing replicas with '96' on the back is fucking crass, and if they ever do it again they should rightfully be chased out of town for it.

Why people would even want to wear one is something i've never understood.

I read that they had pre-printed ones in the club shop besides the Gerrard ones, the club had to correct it quite quickly.  Not as bad as the Hillsborough - the musical idea though.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #14 on: September 9, 2016, 06:19:32 pm »
  Not as bad as the Hillsborough - the musical idea though.
Please tell me you've made that up.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 9, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #16 on: September 9, 2016, 07:22:21 pm »
They are all like that with the area code alongside the road name (Road, Street, Avenue, etc.)
Yeah I know.......... But OCD

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 9, 2016, 09:18:09 pm »

I was an apprentice for the City engineers for a bit as a 16 yr old in 1983, I used to repaint the street furniture including the name plates, they are all like that.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline whiteboots

• Kopite
« Reply #18 on: September 9, 2016, 09:47:46 pm »
Seems fine to me.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN