Author Topic: Ghost of Tsushima  (Read 18071 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Ghost of Tsushima
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 08:15:32 am »
Eh

To be fair it was as soon as it lifted I seen a good few average reviews but it’s obviously picked up now with more reviews dropping  ;D

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 08:36:31 am »
One of the reviews has said that the main story is about 20-25 hours long, but 100% completion is a decent 40-50 hours.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 12:20:03 pm »
It sounds great. Some of the bad reviews dislike things I don't care about ("being open world:the game", uh, that's why I want it!) but the combat sounds spot on

I like that there's no health bars to wear down, every enemy can be killed with a cut to the throat for example, ace

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2020, 01:58:38 pm »
It sounds great. Some of the bad reviews dislike things I don't care about ("being open world:the game", uh, that's why I want it!) but the combat sounds spot on

I like that there's no health bars to wear down, every enemy can be killed with a cut to the throat for example, ace

In the video I saw everyone had health bars? And the gear was tiered?

Did I miss something?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2020, 02:05:36 pm »
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-07-14-ghost-of-tsushima-review-a-likeable-if-clunky-hollywood-blockbuster

Eurogamer are my most trusted gaming site, they say there's lots to like but it's a bit hollow. I'd still play the fuck out of this game if I had the time to be honest. Enjoy everyone!
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2020, 01:14:28 am »
It's getting solid feedback in most places. There were a few negative early reviews from places I've not even heard of before, so whatever. You'll get that regardless. The two main things I'm looking for so far have been praised basically everywhere: the combat and the world itself. For an open world game set in feudal Japan Mongol invasion era, that's all you want if you're into that period of Japanese history and love Samurai films. From that aspect, they've knocked it out of the park, as the Americans would say. Add into the bargain that it's been likened to Breath of the Wild and RDR2 more so than any Ubisoft game, that has me sold.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2020, 05:59:10 am »
Another reason for me to get a PS5 when it comes out.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2020, 02:16:09 pm »
It's here, it's installed.  Roll on tonight,  Can see it being a late one...

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2020, 03:11:54 pm »
 It sure does look pretty and who doesn't want to run around and play samurai. Don't think I'd give it a second glance if it wasn't for the setting and art direction to be honest, everything else about it just seems so generic, even by open world standards.
Still tempted to get it now though and sell it on next week rather than wait for a sale.
Gonna watch the first hour or two and see if the story grabs me, its not just a trite American attempt hopefully.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2020, 08:26:37 pm »
Any good?

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2020, 09:38:03 pm »
It sure does look pretty and who doesn't want to run around and play samurai. Don't think I'd give it a second glance if it wasn't for the setting and art direction to be honest, everything else about it just seems so generic, even by open world standards.
Still tempted to get it now though and sell it on next week rather than wait for a sale.
Gonna watch the first hour or two and see if the story grabs me, its not just a trite American attempt hopefully.
Pretty much where I am on it too. If it wasn't for the samurai theme and how amazing it looks. Then again, the combat really does look fantastic too and there isn't the usual ubi-shite stuff like climbing towers to get to places. It's a bit more open than that. Might wait for a day or two and see what others think on here, and from one or two Youtubers I listen to.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2020, 10:50:34 am »
The fact it’s a Sucker Punch game is the reason I want it as I always enjoy their games

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2020, 06:26:18 pm »
In the video I saw everyone had health bars? And the gear was tiered?

Did I miss something?

Yes. Level gating may be a better term. The early stages make you a wee bit crap but it's all about learning the fundamentals. And when you know how to kill, NO enemy in the open world is stronger. Its simply a matter of flexibility

Enemies have health. Perhaps the term Level Gating describes it better? Basically, and the full game holds this up - your sword is deadly no matter how "important" the story deems an opponent.

Any enemy can be topped with the blade to the throat. No levels, no expanding health bars. The closest thing to boss fights are really amazing duels.

It places skill squarely on you.

Oh I'm loving it. It's this generation's Sleeping Dogs: it doesn't reinvent the open world wheel, but it is an elite mix of many elements

A haiku:

Follow yellow birds
I talk to wind and foxes.
Must be high as shit

« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 06:28:49 pm by ToneLa »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2020, 06:50:19 pm »
I fucking adore the lack of a minimap. It's so immersive. You swipe up on the touch pad and it forces the wind to blow.

The combat is superb. There were some issues at launch like unerring archers. It's eminently enjoyable a couple days in. The sort of thing you're happy to see more of

I understand the complaints of those who are tired of open world: I suppose the checklist of things to collect & do is pretty uninventive.

Thing is, it is so overwhelmingly cohesive. Sucker Punch have refined the best of the genre, and for all the odd complaints about "seen it before", the sheer suspension of disbelief afforded by the miminal UI really transports you.

It's slowly engrossing me. It's about a thousand times more accessible than Red Dead 2 but just as beautiful. That said, if it came out as Assassin's Creed: Japan, I'd understand.

But that's life. I don't want the wheel being reinvented. I want to be good, to experience refinement at the final stage of the PS4. It is more than the sum of its parts.

I mean, I'm in the local typing this. Because yeah I'm a sadact but I am excited. You, personally, may not be a receptive to a mini game where you select lines for a haiku(!) while gazing upon the luxurious world.

But I keep coming back to that combat. It rewards skill, and flexibility. You've got the shite old Ass Creed stealth (by far the worst part so far) but I'm keen to get good. Figure it out. Try.

It's a refinement of the open world for this generation, with some very ingenious touches. I don't generally think it can reinvent the genre but then I realise I'm exploring the world by following leaves and birds.

I think the sequel will be world beating. This? Its... It's making me happy. Nothing is too stale in its presentation; anything new is expertly judged.

Pushsquare seem to have the best review. I subscribe to Edge whose review had nary a ba word to say, but the rating was 6/10

I think it's boss though. Zen. As. Fuck. The story.. Eh, you won't laugh. But this isn't a misjudgement.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2020, 08:10:17 pm »
Spent more time in the photo mode than playing the game! ;D

Both of which are incredible!

These two shots are the exact same, yet the editing settings have been tweaked. Shows just how much you can make a shot what you want.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2020, 08:26:32 pm »
Yes. Level gating may be a better term. The early stages make you a wee bit crap but it's all about learning the fundamentals. And when you know how to kill, NO enemy in the open world is stronger. Its simply a matter of flexibility

Enemies have health. Perhaps the term Level Gating describes it better? Basically, and the full game holds this up - your sword is deadly no matter how "important" the story deems an opponent.

Any enemy can be topped with the blade to the throat. No levels, no expanding health bars. The closest thing to boss fights are really amazing duels.

It places skill squarely on you.

Oh I'm loving it. It's this generation's Sleeping Dogs: it doesn't reinvent the open world wheel, but it is an elite mix of many elements

A haiku:

Follow yellow birds
I talk to wind and foxes.
Must be high as shit

Thanks for answering man, this game is far more appealing now
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2020, 09:17:39 pm »
Thanks for answering man, this game is far more appealing now

Very welcome  :) I just love the fact you can kill clan leaders without being held back. They're just fellas, sure they might know more moves or be faster, but you can still snuff 'em as they're just men (boss fights are a bit bullet spongey but they're film-style setpieces)

Anywho, some of my screenies

• Kopite
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2020, 01:44:06 pm »
I'm in full-on love with this damn game.

If it's not careful, I'll end up loving it more than I love God of War.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2020, 03:06:09 pm »
Yeah I’ve just the done the beginning and it’s fantastic already.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2020, 05:24:03 pm »
Jim Sterling's done his usual pessimistic, sarcastic impressions video on it, and if you know how to decipher some of his gibberish, you could tell he was really positive and enthusiastic about the game, more so than the usual.  I think I'll grab it tomorrow.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2020, 05:47:09 pm »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2020, 06:02:41 pm »
If the ps5 wasn't due out this game would be reason alone to buy a station.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2020, 07:32:37 am »
I do like this game, the way combat plays out, the environment, the clever little niche things that SuckerPunch have added to encourage exploration is fantastic. I love the struggle that the main character has with trying to stick to the way of the Samurai over other means. Even the load times when you fast travel or if you die are great are the fastest I’ve ever seen in a game.

The only slight snag is the stealth elements, and the enemy being a bit too dumb, which seems out of place when everything else about this game is so realistic such as the little damage anyone can take before they perish.

I’ve barely scratched the surface game wise but can’t wait to do so and for anyone out there I think it’s definitely worth a play through for sure

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2020, 08:01:32 am »
What dialogue language are people playing with? I’ve got Japanese dialogue with English subtitles but the lip sync is a bit off. I’ve heard the English is actually good in this.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2020, 08:37:24 am »
I’m playing with English voice and English subtitles and it’s fine. Yeah I’ve heard about the lip sync issues when playing with Japanese voice.

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2020, 09:24:19 am »
English with english subs.

All the animations were done with the English voice acting in mind so the Japanese dub is way off in parts.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2020, 10:24:20 am »
Thanks lads. I think I'll start again but with english dialogue as the lip sync was throwing me off in parts and I was only a couple of hours in.

Spoiler
I done a funny side mission last night though, you get told about a samurai who survived and you go and meet him and it turns out he is an imposter and runs away. You end up catching him and he offers you a duel straight away. You accept obviously but straight away he flaps it and says he doesn't want to die and ends up running away and never returning.
[close]

Are you even playing it correctly if you don't turn up at every Mongol fort and walk up to the entrance and offer them out!

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2020, 06:30:57 pm »
There’s something weird about the way the main character moves. It looks really weightless, like he’s not planted in the surroundings. And the animation transitions look quite janky.  World looks nice, though.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2020, 08:16:02 am »
I've watched a few hours of this game and I like it a lot!

Only downsides are character models look a bit dead and stealth seems to be way too OP.

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2020, 08:54:00 am »
I've watched a few hours of this game and I like it a lot!

Only downsides are character models look a bit dead and stealth seems to be way too OP.
Stealth works well a lot of the time but not always, I've found.

Sometimes I don't even want to stealth so just march up to the enemies and challenge them to a fight head-on.

Love that mechanism  ;D

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2020, 11:55:45 am »
Having a kip with the horse  :D

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2020, 06:06:07 pm »
Best title screen reveal since Megaman 2. That was seriously some goosebump inducing epic shit.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2020, 08:51:38 pm »
Had my first proper duel with a mini boss earlier. Gobsmacked at how cinematic the whole thing was.

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2020, 09:04:04 pm »
Loving this the game actually delivered and is better than what a lot of the review scores show in contrast to other games getting 10's and being a letdown.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2020, 09:28:14 pm »
Loving this the game actually delivered and is better than what a lot of the review scores show in contrast to other games getting 10's and being a letdown.

Agreed, like Witcher 3 for example.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:06:39 pm by AndyMuller »

Offline Dynasty

• Anny Roader
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2020, 01:00:04 am »
Agreed, like Witcher 3 for example.
Hahah are you serious? One of the best games ever  :rollseyes, I was talking more about The Last of Us 2, Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted 3 e.t.c
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:04:45 am by Dynasty »

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2020, 01:36:47 am »
Hahah are you serious? One of the best games ever  :rollseyes, I was talking more about The Last of Us 2, Bioshock Infinite and Uncharted 3 e.t.c

I fucking hated Uncharted 3, still haven't finished it.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2020, 03:53:58 am »
I know it's not the thread for this kind of discussion, but yeah, can't argue with either one of those. I only played Uncharted 3 years after it released in the remastered version. It was OK. Not sure what kind of scores or hype it received at the time, but it got repetitive and tedious about half way through. Bioshock Infinite, though. Yeah, absolutely agreed there.

So far for GoT, I wasn't really sure about it after about 2 hours of play when I first sat down with it, but I've put another 4 hours or so into it earlier, and  the game is really starting to click. Once you start scratching the surface of this game, it's absolutely gripping in a way that I've seldom experienced in games recently. When it comes to the conversation of what'll be the game of this generation, this, along with RDR2 and Breath of The Wild will surely be at the forefront. Still have the Witcher 3 to play through after this. Not sure why I haven't really touched it yet.

I've still not gotten deep enough into the game yet to form a proper opinion of it, but so far from what I've played, it's been outstanding. It may be derivative of other open world titles for its many elements, but its the style that it presents itself in that sets it apart. The atmosphere and art style in this game is a notch above anything else I've played on current gen. It might not be as technical as the likes of The Last of Us 2, but artistically, it puts it in the shade. This game can go from looking very good, to outright stunning at any given moment depending on the dynamic systems in place.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2020, 07:10:47 am »

Just trolling the troll.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2020, 08:27:09 am »
The decision to give you just 2 slots for weapons in Infinite after having an arsenal in the previous games is still mind-boggling to me
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.