Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806780 times)

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool's Midfield
« Reply #16280 on: September 23, 2019, 12:13:00 pm »
Got my fingers crossed that KDB only plays 900 minutes again.

18/19 cumulative xG
Man City - 93.72
Liverpool - 79.46

19/20 cumulative xG
Man City - 20.99
Liverpool - 11.77

If that xG for us was ~50/60 I'd be concerned.

8-0 and 1-0 gets you the same points.

And the cumulative for this season proves it. City nearly double xG. But 5 points behind.

Your point was our fullbacks don't compensate. In terms of assists they absolutely do.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16281 on: September 23, 2019, 12:14:05 pm »
Way i see it...

Fab should be a mainstay
Other 2 rotate accordingly but, only one of Hendo/Milly at same time in a midfield
Gini usually the other

Our midfield will perform just fine in most scenarios.....facilitating things between our exceptional front 3 and back 4

More options this season and hopefully if a couple can hit good form we'll be fine

Agree with this. Keita is likely to be a mainstay come end of season though imo.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16282 on: September 23, 2019, 12:40:17 pm »
1 goal and 4 assists for David Silva and 2 goals and 7 assists for KDB in the league so far this season. Henderson and Wijnaldum have yet to register a goal or an assist in the league yet. Given the output of their front three is similar to our front three then you can not expect our full backs to make up the difference. If this is by design, then it's just a bad design.

Pointless comparison. Their profile of midfielders is vastly different and how they play is different how we play. it's why our fullbacks are so productive, and it's why the midfield is needed to cover them.  So you can't have both your fullbacks and your midfielders with the same type of production. There's a reason why our fullbacks are vastly superior to every other team in the league, and our midfield is part of the reason why. Bad design, 97 points, consecutive European Cup final appearance and triumph to go along with, yeah it's a bad design alright.

We aren't going to replicate City, their players and their midfield production.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #16283 on: September 23, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »
Our midfield productivity also depends on how we are doing in games and how Klopp manages games. We've been in the lead most of the games so far, and Klopp has a pretty cautious approach in those situations. City prefers to continue trying to score in all scenarios. That said, our attack from midfield is still the least impressive aspect of this team IMO, and Klopp didn't spend 100M on Ox and Keita just for fun

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16284 on: September 23, 2019, 12:48:25 pm »
Pointless comparison. Their profile of midfielders is vastly different and how they play is different how we play. it's why our fullbacks are so productive, and it's why the midfield is needed to cover them.  So you can't have both your fullbacks and your midfielders with the same type of production. There's a reason why our fullbacks are vastly superior to every other team in the league, and our midfield is part of the reason why. Bad design, 97 points, consecutive European Cup final appearance and triumph to go along with, yeah it's a bad design alright.

We aren't going to replicate City, their players and their midfield production.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. If you stuck Trent and Robbo into City's team they'd get more g+a than their full-backs do, but less than they get for us because they'd spend more time tucked inside to protect the counter. Equally, if you stuck KDB and Silva into our team, they'd get more g+a than our midfielders do, but less than they do for them for the same reason.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16285 on: September 23, 2019, 12:53:37 pm »
The truth is somewhere in the middle. If you stuck Trent and Robbo into City's team they'd get more g+a than their full-backs do, but less than they get for us because they'd spend more time tucked inside to protect the counter. Equally, if you stuck KDB and Silva into our team, they'd get more g+a than our midfielders do, but less than they do for them for the same reason.

Right. Keita and Ox will help with the goals and production, but even with them, you're not going to play the exact same midfield 3 in every match, it won't be possible.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #16286 on: September 23, 2019, 12:56:45 pm »

Plus we'd concede more gaols with KdB and Silva in our midfield. Can't see either of them doing the doggies that the likes of Wijnaldum and Henderson do to allow the front 3 to play pushed up on most occasions.

I understand why people would want more goals from our midfield. I suspect Klopp wants it too based on the Keita and AOC signings. However, you can't just ignore what our midfield does for the team and spout some goals and assists that De Bruyne has and expect our midfield to replicate it.

We aren't set up the same way. City are set up to score goals and be a threat from multiple areas of the pitch. It's why they win games 8-0 and have assists and goals galore from attack and midfield. Our midfield is a little more robust. They are there to facilitate the attack by doing their graft and providing a platform for the full backs to push on. We dominate teams physically in the park when only playing with a 3. We are generally a better team defensively than City. Maybe that's the reason we've got to 2 CL finals and they haven't.

We have our way of playing. City have theirs. The likes of Wijnaldum and Henderson suit our style of play. KdB and Silva suit City's.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16287 on: September 23, 2019, 12:57:47 pm »
Right. Keita and Ox will help with the goals and production, but even with them, you're not going to play the exact same midfield 3 in every match, it won't be possible.

I don't agree with Brando that those two would be starting together without a tactical rejig fwiw. I think one of Milner, Henderson and (preferably) Wijnaldum is necessary to support Fabhino with their iron lungs and tactical discipline. Keita looked great in an inferior league but is yet to show either of those traits for us and Oxlade isn't that player.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:05:19 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #16288 on: September 23, 2019, 01:17:06 pm »
1 goal and 4 assists for David Silva and 2 goals and 7 assists for KDB in the league so far this season. Henderson and Wijnaldum have yet to register a goal or an assist in the league yet. Given the output of their front three is similar to our front three then you can not expect our full backs to make up the difference. If this is by design, then it's just a bad design.
I think any comparison needs to be in context:

1. How many of the City goals/assists were in big matches at vital times, and how many were racked up during a cricket score against dross? I'd take Gini's brace against Barca over him getting 10 in the league any day of the week.

2. Our midfielders press the opposition, and we regularly win the ball high up the pitch for our strikers to take advantage of.

3. As others have said, we have attacking full backs providing the assists and the occasional goal, and we also have Virgil and Matip as goal threats/scorers from set pieces. How many assists do City's full backs provide?

4. Our midfield is rotated more heavily than theirs, meaning City players have more games to get their goals and assists. Ours therefore also have less chance to find their rhythm and form (not that we have any issues with either)

5. When we have Keita and the Ox fit and firing, it may be a completely different picture
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:25:39 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #16289 on: September 23, 2019, 01:33:08 pm »
There is no comparison between keita/ox(some of you are thinking that our goals and assists will increase 10 fold from midfield with them in the starting 11)against kdb and the silvas their midfield is a million times better than ours when it comes to goals scored/created(assists)
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16290 on: September 23, 2019, 01:35:45 pm »
There is no comparison between keita/ox(some of you are thinking that our goals and assists will increase 10 fold from midfield with them in the starting 11)against kdb and the silvas their midfield is a million times better than ours when it comes to goals scored/created(assists)

I'd agree with this.

However, over the course of the 36 games against the rest of the league last season - they took 94 points to our 96. So... does it matter?

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #16291 on: September 23, 2019, 02:10:04 pm »
I don't think anyone is saying it will increase tenfold, just that it will likely improve.

Its not really fair to compare KDB and the Silvas to Keita/Ox when the latter haven't properly played together and have been out injured for so long. KDB and D Silva have a combined 411 appearances for City - one has had all his peak years there, and one is at his peak now. Keita and Ox have a combined total of 63 appearances for us - rarely playing together, and rarely in an extended run.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16292 on: September 23, 2019, 02:14:25 pm »
18/19 Stats:

Goals from City's midfield = 17 (D Silva, B Silva, KDB, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Foden)

Goals from Liverpool's midfield = 17 (Keita, Henderson, Milner, Gini, Fabinho, Shaqiri)

---

Assists from City's midfield = 24 (KDB, D Silva, B Silva, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Delph)

Assists from Liverpool's midfield = 13 (Keita, Fab, Shaq, Hendo, Milner)

Assist from Liverpool's Full backs = 23

----

Think we're ok.

maybe the grass is always greener on man city's midfield.

wonder how many assists their full backs provide. Different systems and all that.

I don't think i take any midfield in the world for now. We still have naby and ox. Both can be quite a threat IF they stay fit.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #16293 on: September 23, 2019, 03:36:28 pm »
I dunno. I think Gini and Hendo are actually both pretty decent going forward. Not as good as Ox or Keita, but they are each useful, particularly for scoring goals. Gini in particular has demonstrated this for the Netherlands.

I don't think failing to score was as much down to our midfield not being capable of contributing. I think we made a tactical decision (as we did all last season) not to press the midfield into more attacking positions.

Agree. We did not score more yesterday because our 3 forwards were off their game to various degrees.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16294 on: September 23, 2019, 04:28:50 pm »
Can see Klopp going all in for a really really top tier number 10 type next summer, maybe Aouar of Lyon, or Havertz.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16295 on: September 23, 2019, 04:47:46 pm »
Can see Klopp going all in for a really really top tier number 10 type next summer, maybe Aouar of Lyon, or Havertz.

We need another player similar to Firmino, and the only player that has some skillsets to match him is Havertz.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16296 on: September 23, 2019, 05:49:23 pm »
I understand how and why other fans criticise our midfield but when our own fans do it it's a proper head scratcher.

We have our own plan, our own way of playing and our own way of using our midfield. 

We are innovators not sheep.

Good post.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16297 on: September 23, 2019, 06:46:19 pm »
18/19 Stats:

Goals from City's midfield = 17 (D Silva, B Silva, KDB, Fernandinho, Gundogan, Foden)

Goals from Liverpool's midfield = 17 (Keita, Henderson, Milner, Gini, Fabinho, Shaqiri)

---

Assists from City's midfield = 24 (KDB, D Silva, B Silva, Gundogan, Fernandinho, Delph)

Assists from Liverpool's midfield = 13 (Keita, Fab, Shaq, Hendo, Milner)

Assist from Liverpool's Full backs = 23

----

Think we're ok.

What are the numbers once you take out penalties?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #16298 on: September 23, 2019, 08:47:09 pm »
Our midfield is incredible. I'm appreciating it more and more each game.

The issue of goals in midfield is a tricky one. We're set up to maximise the attacking output of our front three and our full-backs - in the vast majority of games when we have Robbo and Trent at the full-back, and Salah, Mane, and Firmino up front. Our midfield acts as a foil, so whilst they're not banned from sticking the ball in the net, the system is not tilting chances in their favour to get goals.

Henderson, Wijnaldum, and Fabinho excel in delivering the tactical discipline, awareness, and hardwork that the midfield roles require. Hardwork especially for Henderson and Wijnaldum who are tasked with controlling the inside-wide columns of the pitch in and out of possession, carrying water for Mane and Salah, so they can stay as high up the pitch as possible.

Ox and Keita might look more likely to get goals, but fate has not allowed to put significant minutes on the pitch, to develop their game to suit the roles that our midfield currently requires. I wonder if there is some anxiety with playing Ox or Keita instead of Henderson or Wijnaldum due to the risk of upsetting the team's balance and solidity.

Our midfield does not get the credit it deserves, it is the elusive Archimedean point of our team, and it would be nice to add some more goals, but not when it risks collapsing our gravity.

P.S. If we're comparing numbers. Compare the attacking output of our full backs to other teams' midfields. If we swapped the numbers our full backs got with our midfielders, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. As its the other way around, our midfield is seen as under-performing in some way, whilst our full backs are unbelievably excelling - its not the right story to tell.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 08:50:47 pm by Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word »

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16299 on: September 23, 2019, 09:17:37 pm »
Our midfield is incredible. I'm appreciating it more and more each game.

The issue of goals in midfield is a tricky one. We're set up to maximise the attacking output of our front three and our full-backs - in the vast majority of games when we have Robbo and Trent at the full-back, and Salah, Mane, and Firmino up front. Our midfield acts as a foil, so whilst they're not banned from sticking the ball in the net, the system is not tilting chances in their favour to get goals.

Henderson, Wijnaldum, and Fabinho excel in delivering the tactical discipline, awareness, and hardwork that the midfield roles require. Hardwork especially for Henderson and Wijnaldum who are tasked with controlling the inside-wide columns of the pitch in and out of possession, carrying water for Mane and Salah, so they can stay as high up the pitch as possible.

Ox and Keita might look more likely to get goals, but fate has not allowed to put significant minutes on the pitch, to develop their game to suit the roles that our midfield currently requires. I wonder if there is some anxiety with playing Ox or Keita instead of Henderson or Wijnaldum due to the risk of upsetting the team's balance and solidity.

Our midfield does not get the credit it deserves, it is the elusive Archimedean point of our team, and it would be nice to add some more goals, but not when it risks collapsing our gravity.

P.S. If we're comparing numbers. Compare the attacking output of our full backs to other teams' midfields. If we swapped the numbers our full backs got with our midfielders, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid. As its the other way around, our midfield is seen as under-performing in some way, whilst our full backs are unbelievably excelling - its not the right story to tell.

Interesting perspective!  However I think the problem with this, is that our fullbacks are defenders and in big games, especially away from home they are not going to be in the advanced positions another teams midfield might have.  This might be why we have 2 wins from 12 or 13 big away games and a patchy record away in the champions league.  Against the best teams, in the stiffest challenges our most creative threats are having to defend near the edge of our own box and our conservative midfield (against teams that will press them more aggressively) will have fewer passing options than normal

We approach the big away games with a european away from home mentality and we get similiar results from both sets of fixtures.  Unfortunately we can't make up for points lost on the road, in big european night at anfield 2nd leg turnarounds, points lost at old trafford, emirates or goodison are forever lost.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 09:38:57 pm by markmywords »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16300 on: September 23, 2019, 09:42:07 pm »
We approach the big away games with a european away from home mentality and we get similiar results from both sets of fixtures.  Unfortunately we can't make up for points lost on the road, in big european night at anfield 2nd leg turnarounds, points lost at old trafford, emirates or goodison are forever lost.

Don't agree with that. We should have beaten arsenal last year despite a good period they had in the game, we were unlucky. The game against United was really a poor display by the entire team, and against Everton , Salah had sitters that he usually pupts away. We've had games where we've played poorly in compared to those but won.

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16301 on: September 23, 2019, 10:02:08 pm »
Don't agree with that. We should have beaten arsenal last year despite a good period they had in the game, we were unlucky. The game against United was really a poor display by the entire team, and against Everton , Salah had sitters that he usually pupts away. We've had games where we've played poorly in compared to those but won.

We can quibble about individual games being unlucky, but we have 2 wins from our last 12 big aways (being man city, man u, spurs, everton, chel, ars and tott) in the league, that can't all be down to bad luck

Man City have 7 wins from 10 big aways (excluding everton)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:03:52 pm by markmywords »

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16302 on: September 23, 2019, 10:05:05 pm »
Did many of Klopp's midfielders at Dortmund score goals?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16303 on: September 23, 2019, 10:14:55 pm »
We can quibble about individual games being unlucky, but we have 2 wins from our last 12 big aways (being man city, man u, spurs, everton, chel, ars and tott) in the league, that can't all be down to bad luck

Man City have 7 wins from 10 big aways (excluding everton)

I didn't say it was all down to luck, I just said that some of our performances in some of the matches you were mentioning didn't reflect the end result.

Yes City have more wins in the same said fixtures, however they also dropped more points against the ''lower'' sides than we did. Ultimately we lost the league by a point. Had we gotten a point against City for instance at the Emirates [which our performance certainly warranted] then their superior record away from home against those sides is meaningless.

We had a period under Klopp where we got more points against the top six than any other side. However that didn't get us anywhere near to where we are now. The margins of error are small in games such as those, so you need a bit of luck to go along with your performance and quality. Also there is context in when those matches were played [for instance we played Arsenal when they were in good form and unbeaten run, while city played them on the first day of the season last year. We played Chelsea also during their best part of the season while City played them when they were dipping in form. Those are important factors.

WE can improve of course, but it's not entirely black and white.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16304 on: September 23, 2019, 10:19:26 pm »
Did many of Klopp's midfielders at Dortmund score goals?

They had contributors, but nothing to compare to what City are doing at the moment. Also Klopp has made adjustments imo to what he's done at Dortmund compared to here. He also didn't have the same types of fullbacks as he does now.

I'm too lazy to dig up the exact numbers, I think I posted them before in this thread.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16305 on: September 23, 2019, 10:28:34 pm »
I didn't say it was all down to luck, I just said that some of our performances in some of the matches you were mentioning didn't reflect the end result.

Yes City have more wins in the same said fixtures, however they also dropped more points against the ''lower'' sides than we did. Ultimately we lost the league by a point. Had we gotten a point against City for instance at the Emirates [which our performance certainly warranted] then their superior record away from home against those sides is meaningless.

We had a period under Klopp where we got more points against the top six than any other side. However that didn't get us anywhere near to where we are now.

True , but we were a different side, we would have had coutinho or lallana in midfield for many of those games.  We wouldn't have the current scenario of relying on defenders for creativity.  Defenders who in big games will have the like of sterling and Son Heung-min to suddenly contend with. We could have our key creative threats closer the opponents goals than now. A blend of both approaches would be preferable, I guess

The margins of error are small in games such as those, so you need a bit of luck to go along with your performance and quality. Also there is context in when those matches were played [for instance we played Arsenal when they were in good form and unbeaten run, while city played them on the first day of the season last year. We played Chelsea also during their best part of the season while City played them when they were dipping in form. Those are important factors.

WE can improve of course, but it's not entirely black and white.

True but the margins don't always seem so close when Man City are playing those big away games, they can employ their key attacking threats closer to the opponents goals and maintain high levels of performance, like Arsenal 0 - man city 3, spurs 1 - man city 3, man utd 0 - man city 2, arsenal 0 - man city 2.  We have only won 2 of our 12 big aways, each by a 1 goal margin, so of course you are right, margins are always gonna be close with our european away from home approach to big away league games

« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:03:16 pm by markmywords »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16306 on: September 23, 2019, 11:07:01 pm »
True , but we were a different side we would have had coutinho or lallana in midfield for many of those games.  We wouldn't have the current scenario of relying on defenders for creativity.  Defenders who in big games with have the like of sterling and Son Heung-min to suddenly contend with. We could have our key creative threats closer the opponents goals than now. A blend of both approaches would be preferable, I guess

Coutinho wasn't playing in midfield in most of those matches away from home against those sides, he was playing mostly in a wide position in the front 3 [Mane,Firmino,Coutinho]. Lallana played in midfield and he played well in 2016/2017 but he wasn't a reason why we were winning said games . [He certainly didn't score any goals in those matches] Coutinho in a wide position isn't better than Salah or Mane. There were matches when we did play him in midfield and the results weren't favorable by any means. So having him in midfield alone with the current front 3 doesn't = more success in these matches away from home

16/17
- v Chelsea away [won 2-1]
- v Spurs away [1-1]
- v Everton [won 1-0]
- v City away [0-0]
- v Arsenal [won 4-3]

17/18

- v Spurs [lost 4-0]
- v Chelsea [lost 1-0]
- v City [lost 5-0]
- v Everton [drew 0-0]
- v Arsenal [drew 3-3]
- v Mancs [lost 2-1]

You seem to be suggesting that our cautious approach is why we haven't won more games and that's where I disagree.

True but the margins don't always seem so close when Man City are playing those big away games, they can employ their key attacking threats closer to the opponents goals and maintain high levels of performance

1. City have a far greater quality in depth than we do, they also have better technical players in midfield and capable of scoring goals. We don't have the same profile of players as they do so it's pointless to expect our midfield and our players to replicate what they're doing.

2. The timing of said matches is also important. If you have better quality in depth you're able to rotate better than for instance we can, particularly when you're talking about players who can score goals in midfield. Both Silvas,De Bruyne,Gundogan,etc.  That's why said

there are multiple factors that can impact this. For instance look at who we played in between that Chelsea match last year at the Bridge.  Also them playing Everton is a different match then we play those lot, for all the obvious reasons.  Were they playing the top six on the back of their European matches when they had piss easy opposition to play against? How was that for us in comparison? All of this has an impact in some way shape or form. Keep in mind in 16/17 we had no European commitments and have a week to prepare for most of these fixtures

3. Ultimately again as I said, dropping the least amount of points is the end game, whether it be against Norwich or City, it all is the same. As I mentioned before, they dropped more points against lower sides, they won more against the top six and ultimately they only won the league by 1 point.

They have their way of playing, we have our way. We can win more away from home against the top six, but being cautious [European away approach for instance as you seem to be suggesting] isn't the reason why we haven't had the best of outcomes regardless of performance imo.

Offline markmywords

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16307 on: September 23, 2019, 11:40:48 pm »
Coutinho wasn't playing in midfield in most of those matches away from home against those sides, he was playing mostly in a wide position in the front 3 [Mane,Firmino,Coutinho]. Lallana played in midfield and he played well in 2016/2017 but he wasn't a reason why we were winning said games . [He certainly didn't score any goals in those matches] Coutinho in a wide position isn't better than Salah or Mane. There were matches when we did play him in midfield and the results weren't favorable by any means. So having him in midfield alone with the current front 3 doesn't = more success in these matches away from home

16/17
- v Chelsea away [won 2-1]
- v Spurs away [1-1]
- v Everton [won 1-0]
- v City away [0-0]
- v Arsenal [won 4-3]

17/18

- v Spurs [lost 4-0]
- v Chelsea [lost 1-0]
- v City [lost 5-0]
- v Everton [drew 0-0]
- v Arsenal [drew 3-3]
- v Mancs [lost 2-1]

You seem to be suggesting that our cautious approach is why we haven't won more games and that's where I disagree.

1. City have a far greater quality in depth than we do, they also have better technical players in midfield and capable of scoring goals. We don't have the same profile of players as they do so it's pointless to expect our midfield and our players to replicate what they're doing.

2. The timing of said matches is also important. If you have better quality in depth you're able to rotate better than for instance we can, particularly when you're talking about players who can score goals in midfield. Both Silvas,De Bruyne,Gundogan,etc.  That's why said

there are multiple factors that can impact this. For instance look at who we played in between that Chelsea match last year at the Bridge.  Also them playing Everton is a different match then we play those lot, for all the obvious reasons.  Were they playing the top six on the back of their European matches when they had piss easy opposition to play against? How was that for us in comparison? All of this has an impact in some way shape or form. Keep in mind in 16/17 we had no European commitments and have a week to prepare for most of these fixtures

3. Ultimately again as I said, dropping the least amount of points is the end game, whether it be against Norwich or City, it all is the same. As I mentioned before, they dropped more points against lower sides, they won more against the top six and ultimately they only won the league by 1 point.

They have their way of playing, we have our way. We can win more away from home against the top six, but being cautious [European away approach for instance as you seem to be suggesting] isn't the reason why we haven't had the best of outcomes regardless of performance imo.

Interesting that lallana started in the midfield in all the big away wins that we had in 2016/7.  This doesn't prove me right, but it certainly adds to my case.

I don't know about depth, we probably have more 1st team squad midfielders than they do (we just choose not to select certain people in the big away games), but City certainly have more strength in quality and this is an area, we need to address this going forward IMO, i hope that not adding a creative midfielder that Klopp can trust , doesn't prove to be a oversight. In the meantime I would like to see us trying AOC or lallana in the midfield in these sorts of games. You seem to be suggesting us winning 2 out of 12 big aways in the league and losing more(5) than we win away(2) in the champions league, is largely down to missed chances, bad luck, unlucky fixture scheduling in approx 20 fixtures over 2 yrs, I think our approach is a bigger issue, I hope, I'm right as that is something we can fix, I believe there is a trend, that we can and should address.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 11:45:46 pm by markmywords »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16308 on: September 24, 2019, 03:58:53 am »
Interesting that lallana started in the midfield in all the big away wins that we had in 2016/7.  This doesn't prove me right, but it certainly adds to my case.

Without goals or assists in said matches, he isnt impacting the outcome of the match. Keeping in mind that we didn't have the fullbacks we do today at that  particular time.

I don't know about depth, we probably have more 1st team squad midfielders than they do (we just choose not to select certain people in the big away games), but City certainly have more strength in quality and this is an area, we need to address this going forward IMO

They have more midfielders who are capable of scoring goals as they've done through out their career, they have several midfielders with similar technical ability and creativity, there is a significant difference between us and in them in that regard. That's why I said it was redundant to compare the two.

Their depth in attacking positions succeeds ours.  Last year they had Aguero,Sterling,Jesus,Mahrez,Bernando Silva,Sane competing for 3 attacking positions in the final third [you can even play David Silva in the front 3 as he's played there in his career before] and the drop of in quality when they rotate is very very minimal.

We had Mane,Firmino,Salah,Shaqiri,Origi and Sturridge. Ox was injured all year but he's ineffective in a front 3, as is Lallana [who was also injured all year].  That's a massive difference. They can afford to have that while we can't. There is a massive gap in quality between our starting front three and everyone else I listed in there.

You seem to be suggesting us winning 2 out of 12 big aways in the league and losing more(5) than we win away(2) in the champions league, is largely down to missed chances, bad luck, unlucky fixture scheduling in approx 20 fixtures over 2 yrs, I think our approach is a bigger issue, I hope, I'm right as that is something we can fix, I believe there is a trend, that we can and should address.

Each game is different from one to the next, particularly when it comes to fixtures of that magnitude. The approach isn't always the same, and us winning 2 out of 12 big aways isn't SOLELY ON THE MIDFIELD APPROACH. That's my argument. It's not one individual reason. I've watched every single one of those games and the results we've gotten aren't because of the midfield in each and every one of those fixtures. I've specifically said that there are number of reasons and that there are fine margins. Your argument on the other hand it's down to the cautious midfield approach. There is context in every one of those matches.

For instance, in that statistic that you're providing, away matches to Chelsea,Everton [2018] are included, both which occurred in the last 4 games of the season whilst we were making our way to a European cup final, and we were running on fumes, it was impossible for us to rotate as we only had 3 fit midfielders at the time and we had to play them in every match for the last 2 months of the season [The only fit midfielders were Henderson,Milner and Wijnaldum] So the context in those matches is far different to us playing Chelsea last year at the Bridge where the match was open and could have done either way [it certainly wasn't a cautious approach]

Then there's the 3-3 match against Arsenal in which we had a 2-0 lead. The points certainly weren't dropped because we were cautious in that match. Our defending was poor, the lack of midfield protection was poor and Mignolet gifted them a goal as well 35 yards out.
There have been good performances, good enough performances to get more than we did Again that has nothing to do with the cautious away approach.

Again I am not saying that we cant improve or that there haven't been poor displays in some of those matches but the notion that a cautious approach took place in 12 away matches is incorrect.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16309 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:47 am »
Worth pointing out that Lallana contributed 8 league goals & 7 league assists from midfield in 2016/17 - not sure how many of them were in big games, and our full-backs certainly bomb on more now, but I wouldn't mind a contribution closer to that from midfield now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:37:17 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16310 on: September 24, 2019, 10:37:54 am »
Worth pointing out that Lallana contributed 8 league goals & 7 league assists from midfield in 2016/17 - not sure how many of them were in big games but I wouldn't mind that sort of contribution from midfield now.

Scored away at Arsenal on the first day of the season. That was his only goal against the ‘top 6’ that season.

Not sure about assists.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16311 on: September 24, 2019, 10:52:46 am »
Scored away at Arsenal on the first day of the season. That was his only goal against the ‘top 6’ that season.

Not sure about assists.

Yeah sounds about right. Think him and Gini both scored in that crucial game against Boro on the last day of the season.

There's no doubt our full-backs bomb on more now than Milner and Clyne did that season, so our midfielders spend more time protecting the counter. But equally I think the growing narrative on here that they therefore shouldn't be expected to chip in isn't quite right. The truth is none of our midfielders really possess a great shot or a great killer ball (or even a great cross) on them. Ox has shown glimpses of the former and Keita glimpses of the latter throughout their careers but not consistently. Gini is having fewer shots now than he did in 2016/17 - but he is still getting at least one in a game on average, and tends to fluff his lines more often than not. Henderson has rarely shown composure or technique in front of goal.

How much all of this matters is a good debate...but I'm not sure the 97 point laurel can be rested on forever. A player who can bang a few goals or assists to help the front three would be extremely useful, particularly in big games where they've regularly looked isolated.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 10:55:57 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #16312 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:15 pm »
Our midfield is incredible. I'm appreciating it more and more each game

I agree, and fantastic post, which captures what the people going 'look at the stats, our midfielders aren't producing as they should' are missing IMO. LFC under Klopp have arrived at solutions gradually through trial and error, and if it weren't for those solutions we'd be back in the pack with the rest of them gawking at City in a mixture of admiration and contempt (because of the financial doping). The last thing we want to be doing is to be throwing away what got us to this point by trying to do things in a more conventional or textbook way instead, or becoming a second rate City by trying to copy them. The 'let's just add more goals to what we're already doing' argument completely overlooks the question of team balance (which Klopp seems obsessed about), and doesn't' IMO seem realistic at all.

Offline xRedmanLFCx

• Legacy Fan
  • Of the glory, round the fields, of Anfield Road!
« Reply #16313 on: September 24, 2019, 09:55:47 pm »
Yeah sounds about right. Think him and Gini both scored in that crucial game against Boro on the last day of the season.

There's no doubt our full-backs bomb on more now than Milner and Clyne did that season, so our midfielders spend more time protecting the counter. But equally I think the growing narrative on here that they therefore shouldn't be expected to chip in isn't quite right. The truth is none of our midfielders really possess a great shot or a great killer ball (or even a great cross) on them. Ox has shown glimpses of the former and Keita glimpses of the latter throughout their careers but not consistently. Gini is having fewer shots now than he did in 2016/17 - but he is still getting at least one in a game on average, and tends to fluff his lines more often than not. Henderson has rarely shown composure or technique in front of goal.

How much all of this matters is a good debate...but I'm not sure the 97 point laurel can be rested on forever. A player who can bang a few goals or assists to help the front three would be extremely useful, particularly in big games where they've regularly looked isolated.

Henderson's goal away to Chelsea a few years ago was sublime. He hasn't scored many in the last few years, but he is definitely capable.
I always said we had the best two teams on Merseyside… Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #16314 on: September 25, 2019, 09:15:13 am »
I agree, and fantastic post, which captures what the people going 'look at the stats, our midfielders aren't producing as they should' are missing IMO. LFC under Klopp have arrived at solutions gradually through trial and error, and if it weren't for those solutions we'd be back in the pack with the rest of them gawking at City in a mixture of admiration and contempt (because of the financial doping). The last thing we want to be doing is to be throwing away what got us to this point by trying to do things in a more conventional or textbook way instead, or becoming a second rate City by trying to copy them. The 'let's just add more goals to what we're already doing' argument completely overlooks the question of team balance (which Klopp seems obsessed about), and doesn't' IMO seem realistic at all.

Exactly. Great post.

We used to be vulnerable on the counter then our midfield was tasked with preventing that, and now we aren't.

Interestingly this season we have tweaked things a bit tactically by playing a higher line, but our 8s and Fab are seeming to be a bit more involved in the offensive third. I don't know if stats back that up though.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16315 on: September 25, 2019, 12:48:15 pm »
It seems to me that ball progression is a big problem against better sides. When we play workmanlike midfields we struggle to progress the ball through our midfield 3, and then Firmino has to come deeper and deeper to get the ball, ending up almost as another 8 rather than a 10  (Babuyagu, formally of this parish, has made this point recently in his live tweets of games) and Salah and Mane don't get it in dangerous places. The issue with our midfield 3 isn't, then, so much about a lack of goals and assists when we play the top 6, it's about an inability to progress the ball once we come up against the better sides. A Lallana type in a midfield 3 (although not current Lallana), offers hockey assists (the pass before the assist), and moves the ball up the pitch through vertical passing and dribbling. Plus they offer Fabinho, the fullbacks and Matip vertical passing options by being willing to take up positions 'inside' the opponent's shape. Of course, if we were playing CMs with these abilities, they would as a matter of course pick up assists, because they'd be getting the ball in positions where it'd be possible to hurt the opposition. Fabinho, Gini and Henderson are very unlikely, when we're attempting to progress the ball from back to front, to receive the ball in a position where they can hurt the opposition.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 12:51:12 pm by Knight »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16316 on: September 25, 2019, 01:05:33 pm »
Imagine not being able to progress the ball further up the pitch against the better sides but having won the European cup and made it to two consecutive European cup finals.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #16317 on: September 25, 2019, 01:06:41 pm »
Imagine not being able to progress the ball further up the pitch against the better sides but having won the European cup and made it to two consecutive European cup finals.

No no better teams, like Everton and Wolves.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16318 on: September 25, 2019, 05:10:41 pm »

I take your point and there's no way it's been a consistent issue in every game or even a majority, but I remember watching the Madrid final in particular and thinking it highlighted a struggle to play through the midfield. I think the club saw similar as the Keita deal was completed and we added Fabinho as well - having already brought in Oxlaide-Chamberlain during that season and by all accounts targetted Fekir as well - settlling for Shaqiri instead to play in an advanced midfield type of role.

In the Spurs final I don't recall too many instances of any of the team stringing more than 3 or 4 passes together.

Whether playing through the midfield is something we really target doing is another thing - seems to me most of our build up play in midfield is quick recycling of the ball and ideally getting our fullbacks on it wide who look to link with Bobby or whichever of Mo/Mane they're with. Fabinho and the centre-halves also primarily create triangles with the full backs and when the vertical passes are made, it tends to be in the right/left sided half space for Bobby, or and advanced 8 who's immediately looking to link up with the forwards, or, again (a theme) play the advanced full backs in.

Our style of play is different to cities, and I don't think we put anywhere near as much emphasis on playing through the midfield - we play through our fullbacks much more - and look to get it into advanced areas and the feet of Bobby, Mane and Mo much more regularly. City's game, as an example, or take a Barcelona/CL finalists Madrid - are looking much more to move the ball around more, probing and pulling, looking for a killer pass.

I don't think it's too unreasonable the point that was being made - that our midfield looks a lot better, at least in terms of creativity and penetration when there's that Lallana "type" in it - which I'd add Ox, Keita and, to a lesser extent, Shaqiri too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16319 on: September 25, 2019, 05:14:17 pm »
I take your point and there's no way it's been a consistent issue in every game or even a majority, but I remember watching the Madrid final in particular and thinking it highlighted a struggle to play through the midfield. I think the club saw similar as the Keita deal was completed and we added Fabinho as well - having already brought in Oxlaide-Chamberlain during that season and by all accounts targetted Fekir as well - settlling for Shaqiri instead to play in an advanced midfield type of role.

In the Spurs final I don't recall too many instances of any of the team stringing more than 3 or 4 passes together.

Whether playing through the midfield is something we really target doing is another thing - seems to me most of our build up play in midfield is quick recycling of the ball and ideally getting our fullbacks on it wide who look to link with Bobby or whichever of Mo/Mane they're with. Fabinho and the centre-halves also primarily create triangles with the full backs and when the vertical passes are made, it tends to be in the right/left sided half space for Bobby, or and advanced 8 who's immediately looking to link up with the forwards, or, again (a theme) play the advanced full backs in.

Our style of play is different to cities, and I don't think we put anywhere near as much emphasis on playing through the midfield - we play through our fullbacks much more - and look to get it into advanced areas and the feet of Bobby, Mane and Mo much more regularly. City's game, as an example, or take a Barcelona/CL finalists Madrid - are looking much more to move the ball around more, probing and pulling, looking for a killer pass.

I don't think it's too unreasonable the point that was being made - that our midfield looks a lot better, at least in terms of creativity and penetration when there's that Lallana "type" in it - which I'd add Ox, Keita and, to a lesser extent, Shaqiri too.

I agree, I didn't say we haven't had an issues but my problem is the generalizing statement that we've struggled against big sides in every match because of the same issue.

The final against Madrid is a fair point however we also played with 3 midfielders who we couldn't rotate for the best part of 2 months due to injuries.