Author Topic: Mohamed Salah - Best in the World *  (Read 2872750 times)

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mohamed Salah - FWA and PFA Player of the Year Signs New 5 Yr Deal
« Reply #8240 on: March 10, 2019, 04:32:35 pm »
Yes it needs to be highlighted. It's like a special category of foul has been created just for him, and oppo players have been told they have carte blanche.

I don't know what the referees are thinking. Could they be concerned that if they gave a free kick once they'd have to give it the fifty other times per game that it happens, and for some reason don't want to do that?

As for today, maybe Mane should have squared to him for a tap in in those final moments. It would have broken the tension and loosened his game up. Though watching the replay I don't think Mane knew he was there.

But goals aside, Mo was fantastic today

Mane was right to slot it away imo, Mo had a chance to square for Mane earlier in the game and hung onto it until he was disposessed, he played well but he's too anxious to score at the moment, I was disappointed when he didn't pass for our third as it was really bad decision making and pretty greedy

The goal will come, he just needs to keep getting into the right positions, some of his play is still outrageous

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #8241 on: March 10, 2019, 05:14:14 pm »
Im still tired of seeing him blatantly grabbed by the arm as he goes past players and gets feck all for it

This, players can have him in a headlock and he gets fuck all, absolute joke.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8242 on: March 10, 2019, 05:20:08 pm »
Still can't seem to find that goal, he seems happy enough though so I don't think it's affecting him too much overall. Still good movement and alert to everything. Actually in a round about kinda way it's a good job Taylor got two blocks/tackles in on salah because I doubt he would of finished either chance and they broke to Mane and Firmino which was good for us.

I think he needs a goal which is just instinctive, no time to think about it. His last 3 clear cut chances (2 at Everton and 1 today) he's just had too much time to think about it, taking too long etc
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:22:49 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #8243 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:09 pm »
As a striker when you're not scoring, you need to be getting into the right positions, creating problems for the opposition, and creating chaos in the defence so that your teammates can capitalise. That's exactly what he did today, and the goals will flow again soon.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8244 on: March 10, 2019, 05:26:13 pm »
Everything but the goal.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8245 on: March 10, 2019, 05:28:33 pm »
Everything but the goal.
I don't wanna...talk about it
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8246 on: March 11, 2019, 02:35:14 pm »
Pretty confident that Salah will fill his boots and get back on the goal trail next weekend if not on Wednesday. Fulham's defence is one of the worst in Premier League history.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #8247 on: March 11, 2019, 02:39:10 pm »
Everything but the goal.

I don't wanna talk about it
Better looking than Samie.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8248 on: March 11, 2019, 02:59:55 pm »
Wear your 2017-18 boots Mo ... get your goalscoring mojo back
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #8249 on: March 11, 2019, 03:13:56 pm »
Everything but the goal.

yeah...few times recently now.

Think he was desperate to get that record (Shearer's) and has had chances but maybe put too much pressure on himself....maybe a good thing for him going forward in his career

Mo is a special player regardless. Adds a different dimension to this team and whether he's on it or not commands the respect and attention of the opposition
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8250 on: March 11, 2019, 03:29:33 pm »
was probably fouled for a penalty twice. but we got goals from the play so not given.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #8251 on: March 11, 2019, 03:32:04 pm »
Second one was definitely a penalty. It's one of my major gripes when commentators make an early call on a situation and then when proven wrong by the replays stick to their initial call. McManaman and Fletcher did it with the second one yesterday. At least Marriner actually had his hand out to say he was playing advantage, admittedly after the goal was scored.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #8252 on: March 11, 2019, 04:02:40 pm »
I don't wanna...talk about it

I don't wanna talk about it
Everything but the timing

;)
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8253 on: March 11, 2019, 06:38:51 pm »
Anyone ever notice that Salah is a scoring machine when his best bud Lovren is in the team and he struggles to score when he’s not? This is a thing don’t look further into it thanks

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8254 on: March 12, 2019, 12:58:49 pm »
its funny to me that his contributions at the weekend count for zero assists but Robertsons pass to Origi against Watford is one

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8255 on: March 12, 2019, 01:06:51 pm »
its funny to me that his contributions at the weekend count for zero assists but Robertsons pass to Origi against Watford is one

It is but at the same time he didn't touch the ball last before it got to the scorer

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #8256 on: March 12, 2019, 01:09:51 pm »
It is but at the same time he didn't touch the ball last before it got to the scorer

yah i get the reason but assists as a metric are close to madness

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8257 on: March 12, 2019, 01:11:28 pm »
yah i get the reason but assists as a metric are close to madness

Yeah I agree ultimately. His involvement for the first goal is more of an assist, than passing the ball square to someone who then shoots it from 40 yards out.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #8258 on: March 12, 2019, 01:20:50 pm »
Im still tired of seeing him blatantly grabbed by the arm as he goes past players and gets feck all for it
Same. And if he goes down it's 'diving'. I'm honestly sick of referees refusing to give anything unless the player goes down, only for pundits to then pillory players for 'going down too easily' - you can't have it both ways, for fuck's sake.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8259 on: March 12, 2019, 01:25:10 pm »
Second one was definitely a penalty. It's one of my major gripes when commentators make an early call on a situation and then when proven wrong by the replays stick to their initial call. McManaman and Fletcher did it with the second one yesterday. At least Marriner actually had his hand out to say he was playing advantage, admittedly after the goal was scored.
The Firmino goal? Didn't look like a penalty on the replay, actually a really impressive last-ditch tackle. I think both of them were. I thought Salah got a bit lucky on that Firmino goal - he should have squared it to Mane.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8260 on: March 12, 2019, 01:27:34 pm »
The Firmino goal? Didn't look like a penalty on the replay, actually a really impressive last-ditch tackle. I think both of them were. I thought Salah got a bit lucky on that Firmino goal - he should have squared it to Mane.

I honestly thought Salah was poor on that goal too. For some reason he never seemed confident or set to take the shot on. Last season he would have had far fewer touches and be running away in celebration before the defender was anywhere near him. Hopefully it's just a minor blip, and the one on one misses against Everton last week aren't affecting him.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8261 on: March 12, 2019, 01:30:47 pm »
I honestly thought Salah was poor on that goal too. For some reason he never seemed confident or set to take the shot on. Last season he would have had far fewer touches and be running away in celebration before the defender was anywhere near him. Hopefully it's just a minor blip, and the one on one misses against Everton last week aren't affecting him.
It's just a classic feature of confidence, isn't it? Mo hasn't really quite looked relaxed all season - a tendency to take an extra touch, a bit too focused on scoring himself at times - testament to his ability that his record is still so impressive. I do think a good summer should sort him out, though. Hopefully the ACON doesn't prove to be the kind of pressurised disaster that the World Cup was. Indeed, I'd be delighted (for us, not for him) if Egypt got knocked out nice and early and he could spend the summer chilling and then pre-season working on tactical tweaks.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8262 on: March 12, 2019, 01:41:50 pm »

Agree with this. One my main gripes at times with Mane and Salah, we'd have a few more goals and points across the last year if they passed each time in these situations.

A minor gripe before you all jump on me.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8263 on: March 12, 2019, 01:46:03 pm »
Agree with this. One my main gripes at times with Mane and Salah, we'd have a few more goals and points across the last year if they passed each time in these situations.

A minor gripe before you all jump on me.

Before Firmino scored, I was furious Salah didn't pass the ball to Mane at that point

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8264 on: March 12, 2019, 02:50:49 pm »
Before Firmino scored, I was furious Salah didn't pass the ball to Mane at that point
I know it's a bit 'body language expert' but I thought it was telling that Mane a) didn't really celebrate Firmino's goal instantly and b) kind of gave a perfunctory high five to Salah when he got his own 2nd.

***THAT SAID*** I'm not suggesting for a minute that there's an issue between them or anything like that, rather that Mane's reaction suggests to me that Salah had made a bad choice. Salah's too, for that matter. I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp made note of that move in the 'things to improve' video.

It's something I actually really like about Mane that, although he can be somewhat inconsistent with his touch and execution, I think his decision making is usually very good. I don't often find myself tearing my hair out thinking 'why did you do that?' with him. It seems more regular with Salah, certainly in terms of taking a touch too many, and with Firmino it's generally great and then every now and then he has a game where almost every touch seems to be a 'what the hell was that, Bobby?' type moment.

That that said, Mo's assist record should put to bed any idea that he's problematically selfish. More that he can sometimes be typically 'strikerish'. The flip side of that is that he sometimes scores from shots or situations where there wasn't even an attempt on, but somehow Salah can scent that goal and be single-minded in his pursuit of it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8265 on: March 12, 2019, 02:52:45 pm »
It's something I actually really like about Mane that, although he can be somewhat inconsistent with his touch and execution, I think his decision making is usually very good. I don't often find myself tearing my hair out thinking 'why did you do that?' with him. It seems more regular with Salah, certainly in terms of taking a touch too many, and with Firmino it's generally great and then every now and then he has a game where almost every touch seems to be a 'what the hell was that, Bobby?' type moment.

Mane has had problems like that himself last year, notably in the Everton match at Anfield when he should have squared it once or twice There were some other instances as well.

And that's ok. Both have that same instinct to go for goal, but most times than not they'll make the right decision

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8266 on: March 12, 2019, 03:54:47 pm »
Mane has had problems like that himself last year, notably in the Everton match at Anfield when he should have squared it once or twice There were some other instances as well.

And that's ok. Both have that same instinct to go for goal, but most times than not they'll make the right decision

I know this is harsh, but is it ok? It's the sort of thing you never see from Barcelona/City and I think a hallmark of Pep's approach and success. Those situations are always played to the right players. The passes are always made. The situations virtually always finished.

Again - not saying get rid of Mane/Salah. Not screaming for their heads. Just want us to maximise every opportunity.

Say Mane and Salah are through in that same situation tomorrow night, 70 minutes on the clock and it's 0-0. Pass isn't made, keeper saves. Bayern nick a winner......

As HBHR points out, I hope Klopp has made a point of stressing this. It's about continual improvement and maximising Liverpool's chances of winning.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8267 on: March 12, 2019, 04:01:22 pm »
I know this is harsh, but is it ok? It's the sort of thing you never see from Barcelona/City and I think a hallmark of Pep's approach and success. Those situations are always played to the right players. The passes are always made. The situations virtually always finished.

Again - not saying get rid of Mane/Salah. Not screaming for their heads. Just want us to maximise every opportunity.

Say Mane and Salah are through in that same situation tomorrow night, 70 minutes on the clock and it's 0-0. Pass isn't made, keeper saves. Bayern nick a winner......

As HBHR points out, I hope Klopp has made a point of stressing this. It's about continual improvement and maximising Liverpool's chances of winning.

Of course you want players to improve and to minimize mistakes, but mistakes are part of the game, and as long as it's not repetitive behavior [which it hasn't been this is why I said it's ok, it happens from time to time] Players, goal-scorers, shoot as they have confidence in themselves.

Obviously we want them to make the best possible decision and as I said they do so in nine times out of ten

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8268 on: March 12, 2019, 04:44:23 pm »
See, that's honestly the only one that I can remember. That's why it stuck in my mind so much, because it was a bit 'whaaa...he hardly ever does something like that...' with Mo, I'm half expecting it. HOWEVER that is very possibly my own confirmation bias at play, I clearly don't have any stats about it or anything.
I hope Klopp has made a point of stressing this. It's about continual improvement and maximising Liverpool's chances of winning.
While I do agree with this, I would also add that we're very unlikely to ever see Klopp be as ruthless about this sort of thing as Guardiola would be. For him, the system comes first. If the system says pass it, then that's what you do, and he'll be very harsh on anyone who doesn't (witness how quickly he got rid of Hart Vs how long Migs has stayed under Klopp). I think Klopp is always going to give some allowance for and leeway towards players being human, players expressing themselves. The flip side of that is that the spirit and loyalty Klopp generates is second to none.

Offline Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8269 on: March 12, 2019, 04:47:14 pm »
“I will be honest with you, the most prestigious competition for me is the Champions League. But the dream for the entire city and the club is the league.
“So, I am happy to sacrifice my dream for their dream but if we win both that would great and this is what we are trying to do.
“The competition is very tough and we have difficult games left as do [City]. All you can do is win your games and hopefully they will fail in one so we can win the title.
“My mind is sharp and there is pressure but I am strong mentally and we just have to keep going.
“We will see what we can do at the end of the season but mentally I am ready for everything.”

Soz Mo but your dream is going to have to wait. At least a couple of weeks anyway :D

Offline davealexred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8270 on: March 13, 2019, 10:01:26 pm »
Stunning pass for Mane’s second goal tonight.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #8271 on: March 13, 2019, 10:03:18 pm »
Not his best game, but jesus sweet lord that pass was one of the best I've seen.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #8272 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:34 pm »
Great pass to setup mane just needs to find his scoring boots

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #8273 on: March 13, 2019, 10:06:16 pm »
That assist is probably the best cross I´ve ever seen.

Don´t think it will necessarily be to the detriment of the team if Salah´s goal record doesn´t pick up again and he turns out in the end more like Firmino, getting goals infrequently but a brilliant team player. He ´s had some superb performances recently despite not scoring.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8274 on: March 13, 2019, 10:06:50 pm »
That was one sexy pass right there. Clearly chomping at the bit for a goal and got a bit greedy on a couple of counters, but that assist was something else. He also put in a very good shift defensively, especially in the first half.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8275 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:56 pm »
Beautiful assist but my god pleaseeeee pass when there's a tap in on or someone in a better position

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8276 on: March 13, 2019, 10:09:29 pm »
Brilliant pass, should've gone down to win the pen though
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #8277 on: March 13, 2019, 10:09:52 pm »
Best big-team game since Napoli at home, great assist, keep it up!
Linudden.

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #8278 on: March 13, 2019, 10:17:48 pm »
Beautiful assist but my god pleaseeeee pass when there's a tap in on or someone in a better position
Noticed that he was a bit wasteful tonight at times, which is clearly just like any other attack on a barren streak. Still, if this is him not firing on all cylinders, then I can't wait until he gets back into top form again!

Just needs to relax a bit and the goals will come. Everything else is there from him (ish!)
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8279 on: March 13, 2019, 10:20:43 pm »
Noticed that he was a bit wasteful tonight at times, which is clearly just like any other attack on a barren streak. Still, if this is him not firing on all cylinders, then I can't wait until he gets back into top form again!

Just needs to relax a bit and the goals will come. Everything else is there from him (ish!)

Everyone was and he still made some great passes and good passages of play. I can live with a little bit of wastefulness in different areas but the greed stuff is infuriating when you consider how we play. Obviously everyone wants to score but it would be shit for one of the non-passes to cost us at some point.

There was one in the first half where he could have played it and instea opted to hit it straight at Neuer who was waiting right at the centre of his goal line. Goals are one thing but you've gotta play smart at times