Author Topic: Premier League suspended until safe to resume  (Read 160780 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Premier League suspended until safe to resume
« on: March 13, 2020, 11:16:12 am »
Statement from the EFL: "The FA, Premier League, EFL and Barclays FA Women’s Super League and FA Women’s Championship have collectively agreed to postpone the professional game in England until 3 April at the earliest.

"This action, which will be kept under constant review, has been taken due to the increasing numbers of Clubs taking steps to isolate their players and staff because of the COVID-19 virus.

"The postponements include all matches in the Championship, League One and League Two, as well as all Academy and youth team fixtures.

"In addition, clubs are being advised to suspend indefinitely all non-essential activities which include, but are not limited to, player appearances, training ground visits and fan meetings.

"Whilst the EFL Board has continued to take the advice and guidance offered by the Government and its health advisors, emerging developments mean now is the time to implement football’s contingency plans in response to the crisis.

"A further update on these plans will be given post an EFL Board Meeting next week.

"This decision has not been taken lightly, but the EFL must prioritise the health and well-being of players, staff and supporters while also acknowledging the Government’s national efforts in tackling this outbreak."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/51867944
« Last Edit: April 4, 2020, 12:23:50 am by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Premier League suspended until 3rd April
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 11:17:18 am »
Had enough of 2020 now, like.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 11:20:07 am »
2 week break, hopefully in that time none of our players or staff or their families have it.

Stay safe.

Online gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 11:20:09 am »
Win the league by beating City then.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:20:52 am »
Win the league by beating City then.

Assuming it resumes at this game week?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 11:21:18 am »
In all seriousness, what happens with the team? Do they treat this as another winter break almost? Will they continue to train together?

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:21:19 am »
Can only hope they play into summer as euros will cancel to 2021
walk on...walk on...

Online gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 11:22:28 am »
Hopefully the Euros get postponed until next year, or cancelled all together. That opens a possible extension of club football until July 12 (when the Euro 2020 is meant to conclude), without affecting pre-season 2020/21 too much.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 11:22:58 am »
Looks like Nathaniel Clyne may get some game time this season
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 11:23:08 am »
Sensible really, even if it is a bit of a kick in the bollocks for us. But this thing is bigger than football.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 11:24:44 am »
In all seriousness, what happens with the team? Do they treat this as another winter break almost? Will they continue to train together?

They'll still need to be training but it's mad this, there's absolutely no guarantee that we'll be playing again after April 4th. Should lock them all inside Melwood.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 11:26:34 am »
Is there a chance we don’t win the league ?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 11:27:35 am »

If they void the season then I assume the answer is Yes.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 11:27:39 am »

We’ll get the Duckworth-Lewis lads in if all else fails.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2020, 11:28:22 am »
Think this is in preparation for a complete lock down for the country for a few weeks. Fair play to them, they’ve made a call on this, that this government didn’t have the guts to.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:04 am »
For the love of fuck.

Just do the fucking decent thing and walk over the Anfield with the fucking trophy and give it to us, then call the fucking league off. As Sian says, there's no guarantee this thing will be done with at that date. It's ludicrous to even assume it. If cases get worse, which is likely will, a month isn't enough.

Offline 12Kings

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2020, 11:29:54 am »
Think the euros will be postponed definitely. All the European leagues will want to finish the season at some point. I think it could well off-set next season also.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:35 am »
I think the league will be postponed 2-3 months into the summer months. Next season will probably be delayed or cut short with just 19 games.

Offline daveonthespionkop1900

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:42 am »
Listening to radio 5. There seems to be a consensus to keep the integrity of the league
walk on...walk on...

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:49 am »
I suggest mentally preparing for a longer suspension unfortunately.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 11:31:58 am »
For the love of fuck.

Just do the fucking decent thing and walk over the Anfield with the fucking trophy and give it to us, then call the fucking league off. As Sian says, there's no guarantee this thing will be done with at that date. It's ludicrous to even assume it. If cases get worse, which is likely will, a month isn't enough.

They couldn’t do much else today in fairness. Things are developing rapidly.

This at least buys them some time to plan date and monitor the situation. They’ll probably be drawing up worst case scenarios if things can’t restart any time soon but they’re not going to rush out a decision today that either says we’re champions, or says all results are void.

It’s frustrating that we’re going to be fretting for who knows how much longer but realistically this is about as much as we could expect from today’s meeting.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:06 am »
Think this is in preparation for a complete lock down for the country for a few weeks. Fair play to them, they’ve made a call on this, that this government didn’t have the guts to.

This.

We'll bounce back as we are an amazing club with brilliant, fans, owners, players, manager etc...

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:26 am »
It would be sensible to push back the Euros til next summer to give everything a chance to be sorted out.

Let's not get ourselves in a panic about the league until something is decided, there's enough to worry about.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:44 am »
And to think the likes of Trump were telling everyone it's fake news and there is nothing to worry about it, because it's not worse than the flu. These are the men in charge. Monkeys.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2020, 11:32:49 am »
Some of yous need a break

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2020, 11:34:01 am »
Euros be cancelled with all leagues finished then. I'd put my last cent on that happening.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2020, 11:34:45 am »
crazy times

But football must take a backseat for a while

Don't think the season will ultimately be cancelled however
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline moloch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2020, 11:35:09 am »
Euros be cancelled with all leagues finished then. I'd put my last cent on that happening.

I would wager they are moved to next summer.

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2020, 11:35:29 am »
And to think the likes of Trump were telling everyone it's fake news and there is nothing to worry about it, because it's not worse than the flu. These are the men in charge. Monkeys.

So true. He’s pure shit of a human being. A fraud who just says whatever is convenient to serve his own interest.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 11:35:30 am »
Fuck sake, we're always shit after breaks!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2020, 11:35:50 am »
I'm not normally one of natures pessimists but I can see us being champions of Europe for quite a while.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2020, 11:36:15 am »
They couldn’t do much else today in fairness. Things are developing rapidly.

This at least buys them some time to plan date and monitor the situation. They’ll probably be drawing up worst case scenarios if things can’t restart any time soon but they’re not going to rush out a decision today that either says we’re champions, or says all results are void.

It’s frustrating that we’re going to be fretting for who knows how much longer but realistically this is about as much as we could expect from today’s meeting.
Yeah, should have been done ages ago to be honest. Even a closed doors scenario as soon as it broke out.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2020, 11:37:48 am »
For the love of fuck.

You mean let the league end with the current standing? I think Bournemouth and Villa would be a bit upset about that. The relegation race is extremely tight. ManU would also be upset.

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2020, 11:38:14 am »
Remember that the premier league (and its top 4 places) is little more than a giant money-spunking machine, with the highest price per minute sporting broadcast rights anywhere in the world. So the really big wrestle and negotiation won't be about who wins the league but who qualifies for the CL and who avoids relegation. There's no way they can stay out of courtrooms without bringing the league to a real conclusion. So,yes, the remainder of the games will be played (eventually), and therefore yes, we will win it.

Also remember what the global coronovirus strategy is: flattening the curve (Greta has a good graph on her Twitter feed - not that I do Twitter). By necessity this means elongating the impact. So be prepared for the suspension to be really quite long.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:39:54 am by Penfold78 »

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2020, 11:41:22 am »
You mean let the league end with the current standing? I think Bournemouth and Villa would be a bit upset about that. The relegation race is extremely tight. ManU would also be upset.
shit one on them. Have a play off behind closed doors or something. There's no way they can completely void the league. That would be ridiculously unfair on us. We have to be awarded the title given the points gap.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43:22 am »
Obviously can't discount anything at this stage as the situation is spiralling so rapidly. But agree that Euros cancellation and European leagues finishing their seasons over the summer must be the most likely endgame here. No way are games starting again on the 4th April though. Will bet my house on that.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43:27 am »
UEFA competitions suspended as well

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2020, 11:43:30 am »
Presumably will restart then behind closed doors.

Also cannot wait to find out (And it will leak) which two clubs believe everything should just end and be null and void.

And what about next season, this virus ain't going anywhere, no jab until next year at the earliest, the potential for next season if it goes ahead as scheduled for it to be decimated from the start is pretty much 100% certain.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2020, 11:44:07 am »

Look, you have to remember that football is a job. Yes, fans play a part but footballers get paid to do a job.

Have all businesses stopped working? NO.

So, if it means games played behind closed doors to finish off the season then so be it.

Move the Euro's to next year, use the period of April - Aug to finish the season.
Players who contracts end in June/July can either stay on a week by week contract or leave.
Next season starts in Aug or September.

Failing that football and all sport ends forever because at this moment unfortunately this virus isn't going away as yet.

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2020, 11:46:44 am »
If they void the season then I assume the answer is Yes.

I honestly think I am done with football if they do this.

They should just resume the season as soon as safe to do so in the summer and then start the next season slightly later than usual (after a short break if necessary) and cancel the FA Cup and League Cup for next season to ease fixture congestion.

I think the Champions League and UEFA League may end up being cancelled this year. That's a bit different given it requires so much travel.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.