Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399188 times)

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2600 on: January 13, 2019, 07:30:59 pm »
There are also 4, 5 games before the United game so that ultimately means nothing in terms of what they're doing right now. The intense period is no where near the intensity we had last month and in previous months. We have 10 days off before we play Bayern, we have 11 days between Palace and Leicester.

We play 4 games in 11 days though (and 6 in 22 days), 4 of which are Bayern in the CL at home then away, Man Utd at OT, and Everton at Goodison. The Man Utd and Everton games are traditionally always big fixtures, and the Bayern game will be a big match as well. The previous run we played 6 games in about 18 days which included Man Utd, Everton, PSG, and Napoli so also really big fixtures - however the 2 big derbies and the Napoli game were all at home, so this time it will be very challenging. That's probably intense enough. We'll need to be at our best to come through that.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2601 on: January 13, 2019, 07:32:06 pm »
Good result for us today. Let’s keep grinding out wins and watch the rest fall away
#JFT97

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2602 on: January 13, 2019, 07:53:08 pm »
We play 4 games in 11 days though (and 6 in 22 days), 4 of which are Bayern in the CL at home then away, Man Utd at OT, and Everton at Goodison. The Man Utd and Everton games are traditionally always big fixtures, and the Bayern game will be a big match as well. The previous run we played 6 games in about 18 days which included Man Utd, Everton, PSG, and Napoli so also really big fixtures - however the 2 big derbies and the Napoli game were all at home, so this time it will be very challenging. That's probably intense enough. We'll need to be at our best to come through that.

Home or not we had played every three days on average, and we didn't have the opportunity to rest for two long periods [10 and 11 days in between matches] which will help.

United also have a game against PSG, so its not like they won't be  tired coming into our match either

Go back to the start of the season, we played Spurs,City,Chelsea x2,Napoli in between two international breaks. We've had difficult runs all season long. We're prepared for it.

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2603 on: January 13, 2019, 07:59:19 pm »
Is it now 'Chasing the title, City chasing us'?

Offline MrBernard

• Kemlynite
  • Don't make me laugh... bitterly.
« Reply #2604 on: January 13, 2019, 08:13:14 pm »
Only City left, and they have probably had their bad period. It will be a tight race.
Forget your beaches and jungles; we're going somewhere where I can read, sit and have a quiet drink.

Offline 13th man

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2605 on: January 13, 2019, 08:18:45 pm »
Fucking hell could Redknapp get his tongue any further up Pogba’s arse after the game!!!!

I think Pogba is rimming with confidence.
If you discovered your girlfriend didn't have a cock, would you ask her if you could sit on her big toe instead?

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #2606 on: January 13, 2019, 08:27:35 pm »
We had one for Istanbul and would have had one for Kiev and Athens

I have seen videos of Shanks having one where he address the crowd St George sq. The one where he talks about Chairman Mao not seeing such red strength

Yeah we would have one and yes we should. Lets get into a position where we can be blasé about winning the title before we become blasé about winning the title.
Hence my post stating returning cup final teams......had one in 89 86 2001  etc.   Never for the league. And I am far from being blase about anything.   
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #2607 on: January 13, 2019, 08:31:06 pm »
Hence my post stating returning cup final teams......had one in 89 86 2001  etc.   Never for the league. And I am far from being blase about anything.
Maybe never one for the league because it was a given we would always be winning it in those days

#hubris

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2608 on: January 13, 2019, 08:33:35 pm »
16 more finals.  Just 16 more finals.  ;)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #2609 on: January 13, 2019, 08:33:38 pm »

It’ll be the hardest of the season because it’ll make both Evertons and United’s season to torpedo our title challenge, cup finals they’ll be.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline GeorgiaRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2610 on: January 13, 2019, 08:35:37 pm »
Slightly off topic and cant  be arsed posting a new thread for numerous reasons but I have a question for all of you.    Lets just say that Liverpool won the league title whether it  be this season next season or whatever  would you expect the club to have a parade in the city etc (like most  teams do nowadays)  or would you keep it like it used to be  ala   the league trophy would be there paraded on the pitch in front of the fans , i always remember being in the kop whilst they paraded the trophy but  that was it.  The title had been won on home (and away) turf over  the course of the season and that was that. An FA (not even league cup) or european cup final returning team would normally  be treated to an open bus tour around the city, call me old fashioned that is what I remember.   
What would you want the club to do?
And this is not  me being presumptious, just  curious of a genuine question

I like following tradition.  Open bus tour with the EPL trophy and Ole big ears being displayed.   ;) :wave :champ

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2611 on: January 13, 2019, 08:56:08 pm »
Hence my post stating returning cup final teams......had one in 89 86 2001  etc.   Never for the league.

Sorry, read your post again, I misread it originally, thought you were saying they didnt get a bus tour.

And I am far from being blase about anything.

I thought you were suggesting we didnt have a parade for the league as we won it all the time, so the blase comment. It felt like we won it all the time then nothing...

I think they will have one should we win it. However If we do win it Id be more concerned with winning it by playing rather than City playing, if you get me. Preferably at Anfield so I will definitely see it.

cross fingers touch wood etc
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline StockyRacistBannedTwat

• Main Stander
  • J'aime le rock progressif
« Reply #2612 on: January 13, 2019, 08:57:45 pm »
Manchester Utd are gaining on us,be afraid,be very afraid  :lmao
San Miguel,LFC and Prog Rock=The best place to be :)

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #2613 on: January 13, 2019, 09:06:57 pm »
United and Everton games will be like walking into the lions den. Both will be out to destroy us. Chelsea at home too, historically a twat of a game and one of the few teams who seem to know how to play/stop us and City.
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it - Rafa B.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2614 on: January 13, 2019, 09:10:21 pm »
United and Everton games will be like walking into the lions den. Both will be out to destroy us. Chelsea at home too, historically a twat of a game and one of the few teams who seem to know how to play/stop us and City.

All irrelevant right now considering we have tons of games before we get to that. In other words we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #2615 on: January 13, 2019, 09:14:10 pm »
All irrelevant right now considering we have tons of games before we get to that. In other words we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Of course just highlighting that these already massive games will have greater meaning and that these 3 teams will give more against us than vs City. I'd go as far to say United would happily throw their top 4 chances away just to fuck our season up.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: January 13, 2019, 09:17:14 pm »
Of course just highlighting that these already massive games will have greater meaning and that these 3 teams will give more against us than vs City. I'd go as far to say United would happily throw their top 4 chances away just to fuck our season up.

Dont be ridiculous.

Whilst their fans might be bitter enough to accept such a deal, there’s no way their players will.

It amazes me that people still think that professional footballers do this. Football is a short career, they all want to be playing in the CL and will do whatever it takes to give themselves the best chance of that happening.

The likes of Pogba and De Gea don’t give a fuck who wins the league if it’s not them, they do, however, care whether they’re playing in the CL or not.

People need to stop shitting themselves. Spurs absolutely battered them today and somehow didn’t win. United have won 6 on the spin with the bounce of a new manager, Barcelona they are not.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:24:41 pm by Jm55 »

Offline RedPride

• Boys Pen
« Reply #2617 on: January 13, 2019, 09:21:52 pm »
City will drop point tomorrow, mark my words

Offline Red_19

• Main Stander
« Reply #2618 on: January 13, 2019, 09:24:37 pm »
Dont be ridiculous.

Whilst their fans might be bitter enough to accept such a deal, there’s no way their players will.

It amazes me that people still think that professional footballers do this. Football is a short career, they all want to be playing in the CL and will do whatever it takes to give themselves the best chance of that happening.

People need to stop shitting themselves. Spurs absolutely battered them today and somehow didn’t win. United have won 6 on the spin with the bounce of a new manager, Barcelona they are not.

Did you watch Everton v City in 2014?

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2619 on: January 13, 2019, 09:28:54 pm »
Did you watch Everton v City in 2014?

The difference being;

A) Everton are shit
B) Everton had nothing to play for

And in that game Everton went ahead at one point didn’t they? Or at least equalised.

Even if Everton had gone full pelt they’d still have lost. It always makes me laugh when their fans want them to ‘throw’ a game they’d get twatted in anyway.

EDIT

Having looked back over it id totally forgotten Everton we’re 1 point off 4th at that point. Either way it only finished 3-2, not exactly a thrashing.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:38:31 pm by Jm55 »

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2620 on: January 13, 2019, 09:46:12 pm »

Having looked back over it id totally forgotten Everton we’re 1 point off 4th at that point. Either way it only finished 3-2, not exactly a thrashing.

What would you expect a fixed game to look like, 15-0?  ;D

City pretty much never won at Goodison back then and they bent over like nothing. Annoying timing but I'd want us to do the same if the roles were reversed.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2621 on: January 13, 2019, 09:52:19 pm »
City will drop point tomorrow, mark my words
is that  you Nuno?
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2622 on: January 13, 2019, 09:52:44 pm »
This thing of Utd or Everton throwing games, what an absolute load of nonsense. Do people actually believe that happens in professional football ? 
Players dont go into games with thoughts of what will happen if they win the game, its just a ridiculous excuse for people to use when results dont go the way they want.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2623 on: January 13, 2019, 09:53:32 pm »
This thing of Utd or Everton throwing games, what an absolute load of nonsense. Do people actually believe that happens in professional football ? 
Players dont go into games with thoughts of what will happen if they win the game, its just a ridiculous excuse for people to use when results dont go the way they want.

;D It's gone on for years and years in different leagues around the world and it'll go on for the rest of our life times. How naive are you? Christ.

Offline Floydy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2624 on: January 13, 2019, 09:54:46 pm »
always remember  back in the day when the mancs were battling it out with Newcastle i think, anyway a game at Old Trafford  against newcastle , shearer clean through and Gollum face hacked him down and got a red, walked off to a standing ovation.     So with that in mind i have been thinking about that smug little freak concocting some ways of hurting us both physically and  mentally in the title race.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2625 on: January 13, 2019, 09:59:07 pm »
;D It's gone on for years and years in different leagues around the world and it'll go on for the rest of our life times. How naive are you? Christ.

I'll re-phrase, do people still think it happens, or is going to happen here ? Unbelieveable. You say niave, I say you're already looking for excuses. So Utd will try harder against us than City, and so will Everton ? Oh and Chelsea ?  Course they will

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2626 on: January 13, 2019, 10:02:40 pm »
I'll re-phrase, do people still think it happens, or is going to happen here ? Unbelieveable. You say niave, I say you're already looking for excuses. So Utd will try harder against us than City, and so will Everton ? Oh and Chelsea ?  Course they will

It's happened for many decades previous and will continue to do so yes. I haven't mentioned Utd. I'm not sure how it's an excuse, an excuse for what exactly? Everton v City later in the season is a day to just make loads of money, just like last time, see it for what it is and take advantage of it.

Next you'll be saying Lazio didn't bend over for Inter to fuck Roma over in 2010.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2627 on: January 13, 2019, 10:06:46 pm »

I have seen videos of Shanks having one where he address the crowd St George sq. The one where he talks about Chairman Mao not seeing such red strength

Yeah we would have one and yes we should. Lets get into a position where we can be blasé about winning the title before we become blasé about winning the title.
That was after we LOST to Arsenal in the 1971 Cup Final. The Shankly cult era was the greatest time ever to be a Liverpool fan - win or lose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc_XSdOLFSU

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2628 on: January 13, 2019, 10:14:36 pm »

Yes, but they were for Cup wins - we never did them for the League. After the presentation on the pitch, the staff used to tell those players who qualified to take a medal and then reminded them that the past is now the past and it all starts again next season.

These days everyone does them for the League, so IF we do win it, we will do a parade.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2629 on: January 13, 2019, 10:15:14 pm »
It's happened for many decades previous and will continue to do so yes. I haven't mentioned Utd. I'm not sure how it's an excuse, an excuse for what exactly? Everton v City later in the season is a day to just make loads of money, just like last time, see it for what it is and take advantage of it.

Next you'll be saying Lazio didn't bend over for Inter to fuck Roma over in 2010.

You really believe it happens here ?  Jaysus. Dont think much of professional pride no?  Its an early excuse if City take points in them games and we don't. Someone said Utd, Everton and Chelsea will give more against us than City sorry if that wasnt you, but thats bullox.
Even if it was true, good, it would make it even sweeter.
Oh and I couldn't give a shit about Lazio, sorry :-)

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2630 on: January 13, 2019, 10:17:35 pm »
You really believe it happens here ?  Jaysus. Dont think much of professional pride no?  Its an early excuse if City take points in them games and we don't. Someone said Utd, Everton and Chelsea will give more against us than City sorry if that wasnt you, but thats bullox.

"professional pride".  ;D All the nonsense cliches coming out now!

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2631 on: January 13, 2019, 10:19:12 pm »
Of coarse United and Everton will give more against us than against City, what the hell are you talking about? If either of them had a chance to win the title, wouldn't you think that we'd give more against them than any other team? I know it's hard to imaging Everton in that position, but if you could...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2632 on: January 13, 2019, 10:20:03 pm »
always remember  back in the day when the mancs were battling it out with Newcastle i think, anyway a game at Old Trafford  against newcastle , shearer clean through and Gollum face hacked him down and got a red, walked off to a standing ovation.     So with that in mind i have been thinking about that smug little freak concocting some ways of hurting us both physically and  mentally in the title race.

It was the time Arsenal did the double in 98 I think. About the time United were falling apart and Arsenal were in a big winning run so thankfully served no benefit for them.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2633 on: January 13, 2019, 10:23:13 pm »

aye, like "bending over"  ;)

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #2634 on: January 13, 2019, 10:26:03 pm »
Of coarse United and Everton will give more against us than against City, what the hell are you talking about? If either of them had a chance to win the title, wouldn't you think that we'd give more against them than any other team? I know it's hard to imaging Everton in that position, but if you could...
Gerrard’s back pass to Drogba still makes me chuckle although it was ultimately the lesser of two evils triumphing. We beat Blackburn in 95 when nobody wanted us to though.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2635 on: January 13, 2019, 10:28:33 pm »
Fair enough, you've got differing opinions, but do you really need to be so disparaging and arrogant?

I think it's all down to context. If United have a chance of top 4, they'll put as much into stopping City as they do us. Obviously factors like if they're in the CL latter stages (doubtful), then come into play.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2636 on: January 13, 2019, 10:28:43 pm »

:) Poor Everton. Why would Utd give more against us ? They'll want to fuck City over just as much as us surely would they not ? The players aren't fans these days, I can't see Utd giving more against us than City.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: January 13, 2019, 10:30:27 pm »
Fair enough, you've got differing opinions, but do you really need to be so disparaging and arrogant?

You were chasing me round the forum the other week with sarcastic quips and shit emoji's. You've got some nerve.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2638 on: January 13, 2019, 10:32:07 pm »
:) Poor Everton. Why would Utd give more against us ? They'll want to fuck City over just as much as us surely would they not ? The players aren't fans these days, I can't see Utd giving more against us than City.

United-City is new new "rivalry" that doesn't have the same context like ours. If you ask United fans who'd they prefer to become champions, us or City, what do you think the answer would be? And whether they like it or not, that very question has already been asked in practice. 
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2639 on: January 13, 2019, 10:32:53 pm »
We'll these with those lot later. Let's take care of Palace.