Trend
7 (12.7%)
mikey_LFC
6 (10.9%)
JSteve
8 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: April 4, 2019, 10:07:26 am

Author Topic: The Decisions, Decisions Draft - Derby Day Edition - Group Phase - Matchday 3  (Read 2768 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Welcome to RAWK's Derby Day draft. Each drafter was tasked with building a team in their own image by picking their choice of players to have played in some of football's most fiercely contested derby matches.

Please judge the following matches on which team you believe would be best equipped to win over a 90 minute game of football, rather than on individuals -

____________________________________________Group A________________________________________________

VivaBobbyGraham                                                   V                                                Lastrador

____________________________________________Group B________________________________________________

Betty Blue                                                       V                                                         Defacto

____________________________________________Group C________________________________________________

PoetryInMotion                                                       V                                                Trend

____________________________________________Group D________________________________________________

mikey_LFC                                                        V                                              JSteve

"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
I swear these games are getting harder and harder to call.

Goals galore in the Viva v Lastrador game as attacking geniuses exploit gaps that would surely be made in the defences with the movement of each front 5.

You've got the midfield battle to end all midfield battles in the Betty v Defacto game. Matthaus v Gerrard, my god!

Then two incredibly well matched teams in the Poetry v Trend game. Too close to call almost.

Hoping the attacking triangle of Zico, Ibrahimovic and Salah in my side has too much for Gattuso and Mihajlovic, and the defensive support provided by Mascherano contains Ozil in JSteve's playmaker role.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Can it get any tighter than this? :D

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Very interesting match-up against Mikey. I think Mikey's defence will have a hard time containing my strike pair of Dalglish and Torres.

The midfield battle should go in my team's favor. Vieira, Seedorf , Ozil vs Toure and Mascherano. They don't really have a proper ball retainer in the team and I think while Mikey's front four are very good they would struggle to get the ball out to them.
Also, Hansen and Mihajlovic guarded by Gattuso is going to be tough nut to crack even for those attackers, and if they overcommit men it leaves them outnumbered against my attack.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Very interesting match-up against Mikey. I think Mikey's defence will have a hard time containing my strike pair of Dalglish and Torres.

The midfield battle should go in my team's favor. Vieira, Seedorf , Ozil vs Toure and Mascherano. They don't really have a proper ball retainer in the team and I think while Mikey's front four are very good they would struggle to get the ball out to them.
Also, Hansen and Mihajlovic guarded by Gattuso is going to be tough nut to crack even for those attackers, and if they overcommit men it leaves them outnumbered against my attack.

Vierchowod is regarded as one of the best centre backs ever. Maradona cites him as his hardest opponent. Vasovic and Suurbier were both among the best defenders in the 60s and 70s across Europe, both appearing in multiple European Cup finals, with a combined 4 wins (one of which they appeared together for Ajax in). Vasovic was known for his defensive positioning and was part of the famous Partizan side who reached the European Final losing out to Real Madrid 2-1, but beat Man United's Busby babes along the way keeping a side with Best and Law too a minimum number of chances across the two legs. And Marcelo has been the best left back in Europe for the last 10 years.

I really don't think my defence would struggle, especially not when backed up by Mascherano, one of the greatest defensive midfielders ever.

Obviously Dalglish and Torres at their peaks, are an immense front line, but getting the ball to them through Ozil with Mascherano on the scene will be a tough task. I'd fully expect, Ozil to become a passenger in the game, with his head dropping as he struggles to turn and face.

As for over numbered, when my full backs are bombing forward there is always the chance for Mascherano to drop in to make up a back three.

Another thing my side is full of is technically brilliant players. Passing the ball out for them and building possession would be no issue. Yaya Toure at his peak was one of the best all round midfielders over the last decade. Able to keep the ball ticking over, able to drive forward and able to cover defensively to the extent Barca often played him centre back including in a champions league final win.

Then once they've moved the ball up to Zico, he'd be showing Gattuso up completely. Zico one of the best attacking midfielders ever, with Salah to the right of him and Ronaldinho to the left to one-two with would have Gattuso spinning in circles.

Just look at Zico's brilliance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAW9WZN_Llo

In this game, Gattuso and Mihajlovic would be huge liabilities for you, red cards waiting to happen. Would just take a free kick on the edge of the box, Mihajlovic taking down Salah, struggling with his pace and up steps Ronaldinho with his wand of a right foot.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 12:36:02 pm by mikey_LFC »

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Vierchowod is regarded as one of the best centre backs ever. Maradona cites him as his hardest opponent. Vasovic and Suurbier were both among the best defenders in the 60s and 70s across Europe, both appearing in multiple European Cup finals, with a combined 4 wins (one of which they appeared together for Ajax in). Vasovic was known for his defensive positioning and was part of the famous Partizan side who reached the European Final losing out to Real Madrid 2-1, but beat Man United's Busby babes along the way keeping a side with Best and Law too a minimum number of chances across the two legs. And Marcelo has been the best left back in Europe for the last 10 years.

I really don't think my defence would struggle, especially not when backed up by Mascherano, one of the greatest defensive midfielders ever.

Obviously Dalglish and Torres at their peaks, are an immense front line, but getting the ball to them through Ozil with Mascherano on the scene will be a tough task. I'd fully expect, Ozil to become a passenger in the game, with his head dropping as he struggles to turn and face.

As for over numbered, when my full backs are bombing forward there is always the chance for Mascherano to drop in to make up a back three.

Another thing my side is full of is technically brilliant players. Passing the ball out for them and building possession would be no issue. Yaya Toure at his peak was one of the best all round midfielders over the last decade. Able to keep the ball ticking over, able to drive forward and able to cover defensively to the extent Barca often played him centre back including in a champions league final win.

Then once they've moved the ball up to Zico, he'd be showing Gattuso up completely. Zico one of the best attacking midfielders ever, with Salah to the right of him and Ronaldinho to the left to one-two with would have Gattuso spinning in circles.

Just look at Zico's brilliance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAW9WZN_Llo

In this game, Gattuso and Mihajlovic would be huge liabilities for you, red cards waiting to happen. Would just take a free kick on the edge of the box, Mihajlovic taking down Salah, struggling with his pace and up steps Ronaldinho with his wand of a right foot.

All that is fine but how does Mascherano and Toure deal with Ozil, Vieira and Seedorf at the same time. Vieira and Seedorf are better than Toure at Toure's job.
If your team leaves Vieira one of the best midfielders to dictate play I don't think that front four despite all their brilliance will get a chance.

It's similiar to how we beat City in CL quarterfinals, whose front-four were all brilliant but at Anfield their midfield couldn't stand upto to our workrate.

Also having that midfield behind Ozil, allows Ozil to play a free-role. If Masch gets dragged towards him that is going to make Toure woefully understaffed against the rest.

As for Masch dropping down in defence and defending, in Barca's team with over 60% possesion it might work but against my team where possesion will be in short supply it will be very hard for him to go up against Torres.

As for Gattuso and Mjhajlovic, discounting Hansen is just silly. There is no way all your attacks can just be focused on these two while having one of the best CBs of all time right beside them. It's like teams planning to attack Matip while forgetting VVD patrols beside him.

Also, I have my doubts how well your team will mesh up in attack with Zlatan as the focal point. He is very individualistic who will not put in a shift like a Firmino, your team depends on Ronaldinho to a great extent to provide creativity but he will be coming up against Vieira on his side.

For me the match is going to be decided in midfield like so many other games, and I think going up against Vieira and Seedorf is a step too far for Toure.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 12:54:38 pm by JSteve »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
All that is fine but how does Mascherano and Toure deal with Ozil, Vieira and Seedorf at the same time. Vieira and Seedorf are better than Toure at Toure's job.
If your team leaves Vieira one of the best midfielders to dictate play I don't think that front four despite all their brilliance will get a chance.

It's similiar to how we beat City in CL quarterfinals, whose front-four were all brilliant but at Anfield their midfield couldn't stand upto to our workrate.

Also having that midfield behind Ozil, allows Ozil to play a free-role. If Masch gets dragged towards him that is going to make Toure woefully understaffed against the rest.

As for Masch dropping down in defence and defending, in Barca's team with over 60% possesion it might work but against my team where possesion will be in short supply it will be very hard for him to go up against Torres.

As for Gattuso and Mjhajlovic, discounting Hansen is just silly. There is no way all your attacks can just be focused on these two while having one of the best CBs of all time right beside them. It's like teams planning to attack Matip while forgetting VVD patrols beside him.

Also, I have my doubts how well your team will mesh up in attack with Zlatan as the focal point. He is very individualistic who will not put in a shift like a Firmino, your team depends on Ronaldinho to a great extent to provide creativity but he will be coming up against Vieira on his side.

When you're attacking Zico drops in, as with most midfields, to cover off your more attacking midfielders making it Mascherano, Toure and Zico tracking and closing Ozil, Vieira and Seedorf. Gattuso is left to try and shift the ball into them or left and right with Salah and Ronaldinho covering off the angles.

Most of our buildup play would be down the wings, due to your narrow formation, triangles between Marcelo, Ronaldinho and Yaya Toure from defence and Marcelo, Ronaldinho and Zico when further forward, or on the right side, Suurbier, Zico and Salah. Similar to how we use Robertson and Trent to transition the ball forward against City.

As for workrate, you'd struggle to find three hardworking players, in key areas, than Marcelo, Suurbier and Mascherano.

As I mentioned I don't see you dominating possession, Mascherano and Toure were excellent in midfields for possession based sides for the majority of their career. And Mascherano would only be dropping in when we push, allowing us to further spread the pitch creating space in your midfield diamond.

I'm not discounting Hansen. Just showing where we are going to target out attack. We'd be silly to go down Hansen's side, as nobody targets VVD. Hansen would be reduced to sweeping and clearing up for Mjhajlovic, who'd struggle to cope with Zico and Salah, bouncing balls off Ibrahimovic as a strong and skillful, target man, when needs be or using those wide triangles.

Ibrahimovic is excellent at holding the ball up and laying the ball up. There are few stronger strikers. He is a huge threat if he gets to turn and face, so your centre backs will be looking to ensure he stays back to goal, in which case he can feed the ball into the on running Ronaldinho, Salah and Zico, not to mention Yaya who is a long range threat himself.

I have to admit your midfield is strong, but my team is very strong in the wide areas which is perfect for exploiting your side.

Offline Trendisnotdestiny

• Finally, the custom title that cannot be beat
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Go for Goal Sunshine! - N Saunders
This is unbelievable to me.  I am getting beat by a team from the 50'/60's/70's and I have Baresi, Alberto Carlos and Schnellinger.  Crazy.

Minus Bergkamp, there is not one modern player.  And while I do enjoy Di Stefano, Facchetti, and Passarella, I have about 8 of the world's top 125 players in their preferred position.

Alberto
Schnellinger
Cannavaro
Baresi

Hagi
Batistuta
Eto'o

Pagliuca

Just Bizarre...

Like before though, well out PIM.  Nice win!

Mikey's team looks the most complete to me as well and he is down at the moment 6-5 ---- insanity :)
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 02:38:11 pm by The Piss-artist Formerly Known As Trendisnotdestiny »
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

We have everything we need - Jurgen Klopp

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Close yet again

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Gullit playing so far forward?  Do I need Prof to come in here and give you the reasons why you're wrong?  :o

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Close yet again

Haha...

I saw your post about Tevez and midfield balance.  No worries.  I took the position that I wanted Emerson and Rakitic to do the heavy lifting defensively while Carlito could take a more forward role....  but Tevez does work back when asked more than I can say about the Riquelme at attack mid along with Maradona (two great players but do not have a huge legacy of tracking back). 

Three Argentinians, three different approaches.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:
It’s there to remind our lads who they’re playing for and to remind the opposition who they’re playing against! - Bill Shankly

You need to get more wives mate, it fixes everything. Apart from then you have loads of wives, which is a nightmare.  -  Djozer

• Legacy Fan
Haha...

I saw your post about Tevez and midfield balance.  No worries.  I took the position that I wanted Emerson and Rakitic to do the heavy lifting defensively while Carlito could take a more forward role....  but Tevez does work back when asked more than I can say about the Riquelme at attack mid along with Maradona (two great players but do not have a huge legacy of tracking back). 

Three Argentinians, three different approaches.

Mate, ignore me, my brain is burned out, I've had very little sleep and I was looking at your team and comparing it to someone else, not PIM, which made it seem like a big difference. Which is why I deleted it mate  ;D I'm all over the place.

My apologies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Mate, ignore me, my brain is burned out, I've had very little sleep and I was looking at your team and comparing it to someone else, not PIM, which made it seem like a big difference. Which is why I deleted it mate  ;D I'm all over the place.

My apologies

Dude... you are so okay in my book.  No worries.  Actually, I thought you were spot on, my friend.  Tevez is a bit out of position and Rakitic and Emerson do have to do more work. 

And in terms of apologies, feck that... I am so full shite during drafting, that I should sell the fertilizer to Miracle-Gro!!! :)

With you about being burned out.   We beat Southampton, and a new day arises!  One team, Defacto!

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
Haha my mind is all over the place, from work, from playing footie last night, analyzing the draft, preparing for Friday, I need to relocate to Mars until the end of the season :D

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Haha my mind is all over the place, from work, from playing footie last night, analyzing the draft, preparing for Friday, I need to relocate to Mars until the end of the season :D

Me too!

Olympus Mons - Tallest mountain in our Solar System (Mars) - just need a few space suits and a place to keep warm (average temp on Mars -81 degrees or South Dakota in the Spring) :)

THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Based upon the numbers, it looks like there is always one player who chooses not to vote in a match.

12 voters so far, but one match has 11 votes total -- weird, same the last few days too.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

• Legacy Fan
Betty killing me two drafts in a row 😭

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
Based upon the numbers, it looks like there is always one player who chooses not to vote in a match.

12 voters so far, but one match has 11 votes total -- weird, same the last few days too.

I always wonder about that too, seems to happen in a few drafts.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

Noticed the same. Assuming it’s when people think it’s too close to call.

I’ve pulled level 5 times today only for JSteve to retake a one point lead minutes later! Proving that the most dangerous time to concede is when you’ve just scored!
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 06:53:32 pm by mikey_LFC »

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Noticed the same. Assuming it’s when people think it’s too close to call.

I’ve pulled level 5 times today only for JSteve to retake a one point lead minutes later! Proving that the most dangerous time to concede is when you’ve just scored!

Probably you're right mate. 

I hypothesized it was a hat tip by Blue Betts to say that he won't vote for himself :)

Jedi Karma type thingy... but alas we'll never know!
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Not been about much to comment in the threads as I'm away on some hols now. Some vey very tight games in general though!

Just wondering, are we doing steals before the second round? Can be a fun way to freshen things up and keep the eliminated teams a part of things. Don't mind either way though.

This is unbelievable to me.  I am getting beat by a team from the 50'/60's/70's and I have Baresi, Alberto Carlos and Schnellinger.  Crazy.

Just Bizarre...

What's wrong with appreciating some all time greats? Not bizarre at all. Personally I'm delighted to see PIM's team performing so well in this. Loved how he picked some of the oft overlooked players in the draft. The likes of Ocwirk, Greaves, Didi and Coluna were all absolute class in their day and deserve to be rated as such. I love your backline too, Trend. But IMO the midfield and attack is a bit unbalanced. Batigol and Eto'o individually are absolute world class strikers, but not too sure either would combine particularly well. Eto' played his best football in a more free flowing frontline (at Barca), while Batistuta was at his best as the focal point with Rui Costa weaving the magic behind him. Hagi is great and might be able to replicate some Rui magic, but Tevez seems totally out of position. While Emerson is also quite a bit behind some of the other players on the field here. A solid DM, but never a great. I had to think hard, but for me PIM's side is the winner here. More balance, no obvious weakness, and a stronger midfield overall.

People often do it when they think the match would be a draw.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not been about much to comment in the threads as I'm away on some hols now. Some vey very tight games in general though!

Just wondering, are we doing steals before the second round? Can be a fun way to freshen things up and keep the eliminated teams a part of things. Don't mind either way though.

What's wrong with appreciating some all time greats? Not bizarre at all. Personally I'm delighted to see PIM's team performing so well in this. Loved how he picked some of the oft overlooked players in the draft. The likes of Ocwirk, Greaves, Didi and Coluna were all absolute class in their day and deserve to be rated as such. I love your backline too, Trend. But IMO the midfield and attack is a bit unbalanced. Batigol and Eto'o individually are absolute world class strikers, but not too sure either would combine particularly well. Eto' played his best football in a more free flowing frontline (at Barca), while Batistuta was at his best as the focal point with Rui Costa weaving the magic behind him. Hagi is great and might be able to replicate some Rui magic, but Tevez seems totally out of position. While Emerson is also quite a bit behind some of the other players on the field here. A solid DM, but never a great. I had to think hard, but for me PIM's side is the winner here. More balance, no obvious weakness, and a stronger midfield overall.

People often do it when they think the match would be a draw.

Haha... you can appreciate the greats without pushing the voting button :)

And as far as your critique?  Well, I have nothing to say -- spot on that.  Only thing you left out is how we would defend corners with 5 players the size of Hagi, Rakitic, Tevez, Emerson, and Cannavaro was good in the air (but not so tall). 

And in terms of any witty retort, again I am without game. 

My posts have been more of a moan than painstaking position of being right.  Doesn't drafting Baresi first mean my team wins everything?  :) :) ;)

Anyhow, this has been some good fun...  All for taking best players, as it will my only access to participating in the next round :)
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Believe me, I think your back 4 is one the best I've ever seen in a draft. Samie's infamous Roman phalanx excepted. I was thinking about the height actually!  :D  But Baresi's absolute class more than makes up for it. He was ridiculously insanely great and I'm awaiting the chance to draft him one day myself.

You're just unfortunate to face a unit as capable and talented as PIM's.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

• Legacy Fan
I understand that Betty is a Jedi but come 8-4 is taking the piss here. 

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan

I was indeed thinking this.

Each team gets to pick one player from the third placed side in their group to add to their side. Winner g the group picks first, runner up picks second.

They’d be added to the squad to give people depth and flexibility going later into the draft.

Thoughts?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Believe me, I think your back 4 is one the best I've ever seen in a draft. Samie's infamous Roman phalanx excepted. I was thinking about the height actually!  :D  But Baresi's absolute class more than makes up for it. He was ridiculously insanely great and I'm awaiting the chance to draft him one day myself.

You're just unfortunate to face a unit as capable and talented as PIM's.

Defense wins Championships!  Last call.   Just need one vote for the impenetrable object here?  Don't have to be relegated folks?

Get busy winning or get busy dying,

Takin the piss here.... Phalanxia part deux.
THIS IS ANFIELD SIGN:

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I was indeed thinking this.

Each team gets to pick one player from the third placed side in their group to add to their side. Winner g the group picks first, runner up picks second.

They’d be added to the squad to give people depth and flexibility going later into the draft.

Thoughts?

Maybe rule out first round picks? Otherwise whoever gets Maradona probably auto wins!

Edit: Also it would be good if everyone still has to fulfil all their criteria (birth place and played for both sides).

Edit 2: Just realised Diego might not be going out  :D  But still, possibly first round picks are a bit too powerful.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 08:07:34 pm by Betty Blue »

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
Maybe rule out first round picks? Otherwise whoever gets Maradona probably auto wins!

Edit: Also it would be good if everyone still has to fulfil all their criteria (birth place and played for both sides).

Edit 2: Just realised Diego might not be going out  :D  But still, possibly first round picks are a bit too powerful.

Yeah I like both of those additions.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
As a last ditch attempt to show how my wide play would cause serious issues for JSteve’s diamond without wingers, I give you a lesson in setting up the diamond by the maestro himself Johan Cruyff:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7NZ0byEyeOA

No wingers, lead to the diamond being dragged out of position when defending in wide areas, leaving the centre of the park open for the attacking teams midfield to exploit and limiting the effectiveness of the diamond going forward. You are soon reduced to three or even two in the middle if a team can shift it between flanks quick enough. Yaya and Mascherano’s passing range should allow this.

Therefore JSteve is suddenly left with Vieira at right mid, Seedorf at left mid and only Ozil and Gattuso in the middle of the park to defend Zico supported by Yaya and Mascherano. If they don’t go to defend those areas then you’ve got two on one against the full backs. Wouldn’t fancy any full back to be able to deal with Marcelo and Ronaldinho or Salah and Suurbier by themselves.

You’ve got two options and neither covers you unless you are going to rely on Ozil to put in the nevessary work rate to cover the centre of the pitch. That’s not happening, not for a full 90.

• Legacy Fan
Not sure how I'm losing this by 4 votes. :D

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Not sure how I'm losing this by 4 votes. :D

Piss-check probably. Roberto Carlos would kill him.

• Legacy Fan
Piss-check probably. Roberto Carlos would kill him.

Can't be the only reason, there's ways to  protect the fullback defensively, Carlos isn't without flaw defensively.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
I was about to reply to Trend about taking his point about not having modern players   ;D (it's not just Bergkamp though, also Lucio  ;D), but also that this is an all-time draft. However Betty beat me to the point  :).

If the likes of Maldini are closed out, I didn't want to get the next best players of the era, hence I went for players whom I've always been fascinated about while reading about them - Like how Yashin is the only goalkeeper to ever win the Ballon d'Or or about how Didi went from an Inside Forward to one of the best ever midfielders. Passarella was not just one of the greatest CBs, he was one of the highest scoring CBs. Austria finished 3rd in the 1954 World Cup with Ocwirk as the captain & Didi won the Golden Ball in the next World Cup.

Trend,
I feel the same as others do about your team, it's a bit unbalanced, but I like your team. Our group's been enjoyable and it's a good game mate  :)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Can't be the only reason, there's ways to  protect the fullback defensively, Carlos isn't without flaw defensively.

Small margins in these things, mate. Everyone has great teams with great players, so just one small weakness will get picked on. This is yours IMO.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

I really love your midfield, it's hotly contested with Betty's. I like your attack better & Betty's defense better, so it all balances out. In fact, I think this is the closest game of this round. The only slight difference may be that Betty's full-backs may pin back yours, and your side may suffer for width, but it's a minor difference.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
I'm obviously flogging a dead horse here as those who don't believe my midfield could win any game with its balance, creativity and guile notwithstanding the front three which is, by anyone's standards, elite, I can't help them. So, they look at my defence, eagerly. for flaws. Vidic, Man United, nuff said but what a player. Rugerri. World cup winner. The full backs, admittedly, the weakest in my line up but they both have merit. Tommy Wright was an exceptional full back in his day. Played for what was arguably, England's greatest side in 1970 as well as a top drawer Everton right back in the day; and Coentrao, Portuguese international, double cl winner for Real Madrid, ffs. Yet, that team loses 10-3. Well played, SM.Remind me, how many were in the draft? Only 13? Glad I entered but a crushing blow, gang, followed, probably, by another one. I say one word...Eusebio?
« Last Edit: April 3, 2019, 11:39:56 pm by vivabobbygraham »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good side, Last but your defence and midfield would be devoured by mine. Tasty front three who would score goals, so 4-3, I think.

No matter how I tried to make it work, D, BB, hands down, I'm afraid, that midfield is scary

Trend wins cos it's trend.

J wins purely because of Jocky and Kenny, with a little bit of Fernando. I contemplated putting him in my team purely for those who believe Vidic was shite based on him having a mare against Libpool no9, therefore negating that prejudice and seeing the bigger picture, like all their career.... I believed the more discerning voter would see beyond that.....

I'm not bitter, though...............

« Last Edit: April 4, 2019, 12:01:59 am by vivabobbygraham »

• Legacy Fan
I'm obviously flogging a dead horse here as those who don't believe my midfield could win any game with its balance, creativity and guile notwithstanding the front three which is, by anyone's standards, elite, I can't help them. So, they look at my defence, eagerly. for flaws. Vidic, Man United, nuff said but what a player. Rugerri. World cup winner. The full backs, admittedly, the weakest in my line up but they both have merit. Tommy Wright was an exceptional full back in his day. Played for what was arguably, England's greatest side in 1970 as well as a top drawer Everton right back in the day; and Coentrao, Portuguese international, double cl winner for Real Madrid, ffs. Yet, that team loses 10-3. Well played, SM.Remind me, how many were in the draft? Only 13? Glad I entered but a crushing blow, gang, followed, probably, by another one. I say one word...Eusebio?

You make valid points but Ceontrao was a poor defender imo.

• Legacy Fan
I really love your midfield, it's hotly contested with Betty's. I like your attack better & Betty's defense better, so it all balances out. In fact, I think this is the closest game of this round. The only slight difference may be that Betty's full-backs may pin back yours, and your side may suffer for width, but it's a minor difference.

Betty's fullbacks are great, wanted Alves myself, he was an exceptional playmaker as RB especially at Sevilla, and underrated defensively.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
You make valid points but Ceontrao was a poor defender imo.

I admitted he wasn't top drawer, D. Each team in the draft has a weakness but a Portuguese international,  double cl winner, playing for Real Madrid, can hardly be described as a 'poor defender'. Also, Coentrau was a decent attacking force. Are we considering Ashley Cole as a 'great defender'?