Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 284037 times)

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Southampton FC general discussion thread
« Reply #2640 on: September 28, 2017, 11:11:12 pm »
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2641 on: September 29, 2017, 12:24:53 am »
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2642 on: October 3, 2017, 03:18:09 pm »
Hinting again in an interview that he would like to move "up", and said he would see what could happen in January.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2643 on: October 3, 2017, 04:23:28 pm »
Hinting again in an interview that he would like to move "up", and said he would see what could happen in January.  ;D

Conspiracy theory says that Liverpool most definitely did not sign an alternative to Virgil VD in August because they knew who was lined up in January...
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2644 on: October 3, 2017, 07:47:54 pm »
Realistically we wont buy him January but honestly id take anyone in January thats not klavan, Matip and Lovren. Sick of the sight of them.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2645 on: October 3, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »
Conspiracy theory says that Liverpool most definitely did not sign an alternative to Virgil VD in August because they knew who was lined up in January...
aye, was all a little convenient not going for someone else when Southampton supposedly didn’t want to sell to us (again)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2646 on: October 3, 2017, 09:19:40 pm »

Surely this will only piss the owners / club off.

Don't think we will ever sign him.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2647 on: October 4, 2017, 07:38:30 am »
How has VVD been playing tho?

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2648 on: October 4, 2017, 07:41:17 am »
Don’t worry about how he’s playing now. Once Klopp gets his hands on him he’ll turn to shite in no time at all.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2649 on: October 4, 2017, 07:43:48 am »
Don’t worry about how he’s playing now. Once Klopp gets his hands on him he’ll turn to shite in no time at all.

What's that suppose to mean?  ::)

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #2650 on: October 4, 2017, 07:46:29 am »
What's that suppose to mean?  ::)

Well he’s hardly an expert at setting a defence up to be tight is he.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2651 on: October 4, 2017, 07:53:47 am »
Well he’s hardly an expert at setting a defence up to be tight is he.

Our defence is never going to be "tight" because of the fooball we play. But he is an organiser and that is something we are badly lacking. Someone who takes responsibility and is prepared to communicate and lead by example. The very thing we lack at the moment. It is not going to cure everything but it would be a start and would at least enable us to work as more of a unit, which is what we don't do at the moment.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2652 on: October 4, 2017, 10:10:38 am »
So the evidence Southampton have over us runs out in January then yeah? :/

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #2653 on: October 4, 2017, 11:54:00 am »
just think the more media attention him being linked with us there is the less likely the Southampton board will be willing to sell to us

that might make no logical sense but I don't think it helps our situation if we are holding out for him
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2654 on: October 17, 2017, 09:04:07 am »
So, i don't know if it's the fitness issues or his mind is not there but from the 2 matches I've seen, Van Dijk looked quite average to say the least. He definitely did not look like a 70M player. Shall we expect us to still go for him this winter?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #2655 on: October 17, 2017, 09:09:41 am »
So, i don't know if it's the fitness issues or his mind is not there but from the 2 matches I've seen, Van Dijk looked quite average to say the least. He definitely did not look like a 70M player. Shall we expect us to still go for him this winter?

Very clear he doesn't want to be there and isn't motivated to play at his best anymore.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2656 on: October 17, 2017, 09:17:02 am »
Did I read somewhere that he has a stipulation in his contract allowing him to negotiate if a 'bigger' team comes in for him after he's been at Southampton 2 years?, January will be two years since he joined Celtic.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2657 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:11 am »
Probably takes a while to get to match fitness too.

He won’t solve all our issues overnight clearly and I doubt he’s worth £70m but I’d still say he’s comfortably better than what we have which can only help improve us.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #2658 on: October 17, 2017, 11:30:08 am »
Whenever I've seen them this season, pointless is the word coming to my mind. So boring up front and an almost total lack of threat.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2659 on: October 17, 2017, 11:40:19 am »
I have my own personal conspiracy theory which everyone will think is bullshit. There is no way Liverpool were signing a player in the summer, who had not played football since January. Perhaps a deal WAS in place for VVD but we ourselves said "Let's wait and see until January".

As for motivation, his career is on the line right now. He has to play his best otherwise he stays at Southampton, the most mid-table outfit in the history of middles.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2660 on: October 17, 2017, 12:59:26 pm »
I have my own personal conspiracy theory which everyone will think is bullshit. There is no way Liverpool were signing a player in the summer, who had not played football since January. Perhaps a deal WAS in place for VVD but we ourselves said "Let's wait and see until January".

As for motivation, his career is on the line right now. He has to play his best otherwise he stays at Southampton, the most mid-table outfit in the history of middles.
He doesn't need to play well if we've already said were going back in for him no matter what.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #2661 on: October 17, 2017, 01:00:43 pm »
Realistically we wont buy him January but honestly id take anyone in January thats not klavan, Matip and Lovren. Sick of the sight of them.

and you'll be sick of the sight of whoever else is signed soon enough no doubt  ::)

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2662 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:38 pm »
Our defence is never going to be "tight" because of the fooball we play. But he is an organiser and that is something we are badly lacking. Someone who takes responsibility and is prepared to communicate and lead by example. The very thing we lack at the moment. It is not going to cure everything but it would be a start and would at least enable us to work as more of a unit, which is what we don't do at the moment.

I keep seeing this mentioned. But everytime i see him he's not organising anything.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2663 on: October 21, 2017, 06:59:48 am »
It's interesting the difference in mentality when you compare Coutinho to VVD.  Where Coutinho has now put the whole Barca saga to one side and continued to work hard and give his all, VVD has clearly been going through the motions.  Having watched a number of his performances this year they've been nothing short of a disgrace in his lack of professionalism.

While I'm sure he'd lift his game if we were to end up signing him down the road, I can't help but feel that this isn't the mentality that you want to see in a player. 

Right now I'd much rather see his partner Yoshida in a red shirt.  His performances have been outstanding this year and one of the few shining lights for a team that I expected would struggle under Pellegrino who I've never thought was up to this level of coaching.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2664 on: October 21, 2017, 09:05:56 am »
It's interesting the difference in mentality when you compare Coutinho to VVD.  Where Coutinho has now put the whole Barca saga to one side and continued to work hard and give his all, VVD has clearly been going through the motions.  Having watched a number of his performances this year they've been nothing short of a disgrace in his lack of professionalism.

While I'm sure he'd lift his game if we were to end up signing him down the road, I can't help but feel that this isn't the mentality that you want to see in a player. 

Right now I'd much rather see his partner Yoshida in a red shirt.  His performances have been outstanding this year and one of the few shining lights for a team that I expected would struggle under Pellegrino who I've never thought was up to this level of coaching.

Hardly a fair comparison.
On the one hand,  Coutinho saw his dreams of a transfer to Barca rejected, instead he finds himself playing for a team currently playing Champions league football, targeting a finish at the top end of the table, managed by one of the most respected managers in football, and easily one of the best supported clubs on the planet, all whilst earning a hefty salary. On the other hand,   Dijk saw his dreams of joining above mentioned team abruptly ended and now plys his trade at Southampton, a team with no current ambitions or capability of finishing in the top 8 in the league, and have as much chance of winning a domestic cup as any other team in the bottom half of the table-namely they'll need to a favourable draw and 1-2 quality teams to gift them a win just to make it to a final wherein they'll bottle it and end up empty handed.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2665 on: October 21, 2017, 09:24:13 am »
People seem to be forgetting VVD never played for nearly 6 months and didn't even have any part in Southampton's pre-season preparations. Add to the fact he clearly doesn't want to and be there and it should be no surprise he looks out of sorts.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2666 on: October 21, 2017, 11:23:19 am »
People seem to be forgetting VVD never played for nearly 6 months and didn't even have any part in Southampton's pre-season preparations. Add to the fact he clearly doesn't want to and be there and it should be no surprise he looks out of sorts.

Exactly, no luxury of easing himself back in like most players in pre season. It’s inevitabke he’ll look off the pace or slightly error prone.

Offline Endoe

• Legacy Fan
  • A liverbird on my chest
« Reply #2667 on: October 22, 2017, 12:34:57 am »
That made me laugh

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2668 on: October 22, 2017, 06:43:21 am »
Boufal with a goal of the season contender.

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #2669 on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:58 pm »
Great idea denying your captain his dream move.  You might be going down now you bitter bastards.

:lmao
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2670 on: November 18, 2017, 05:26:33 pm »
Great idea denying your captain his dream move.  You might be going down now you bitter bastards.

They'll always have their kit launch.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #2671 on: November 18, 2017, 05:43:40 pm »
Stupid twats - cut their nose to spite their face in the summer

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2672 on: November 18, 2017, 05:50:36 pm »
These could be in quite a bit of trouble, there are no goals in that team and they've got a horrid fixture list until the new year. They play Everton (H), Man City (A), Bournemouth (A), Arsenal (H), Leicester (H), Chelsea (A), Huddersfield (H), Tottenham (A) and Man U (A) between now and January. It's possible they start the new year in the relegation zone. They're certainly not too good to go down.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2673 on: November 18, 2017, 06:07:37 pm »
Happy to see Forster picking the ball out of the net the awful twat.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2674 on: November 18, 2017, 06:38:38 pm »
Can someone explain how Shane Bloody Long is still selected to play despite not scoring in 29 consecutive matches

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2675 on: November 18, 2017, 06:50:56 pm »
They desperately need a couple of attackers and we desperately need a classy centre back, you'd think we could come to some agreement in January and bury the hatchet (probably best to lay off targeting their players for a while haha). Can't see us making a move though.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2676 on: November 18, 2017, 06:51:24 pm »
Can someone explain how Shane Bloody Long is still selected to play despite not scoring in 29 consecutive matches
hes clearly due a goal?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2677 on: November 18, 2017, 06:55:17 pm »
hes clearly due a goal?

Any of us would score before him

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #2678 on: November 18, 2017, 07:00:02 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2679 on: November 18, 2017, 07:57:54 pm »

You can’t criticise a team for keeping their best player, who is on a five- or six-year contract, just because they’re a poor team.
If they denied him the move again, that would be unfair by them, considering they are not performing at all.