Author Topic: General Running Thread  (Read 795073 times)

Offline Reeves

• Back from the dead. Bit simples.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "THE DISTANCE BETWEEN INSANITY AND GENIUS.........
    • RAWK
General Running Thread
« on: October 3, 2005, 12:14:05 pm »
Did the Bristol 1/2 marathon yesterday. Can't walk today! Came 295th out of 14,000 with a time of 1:28:13. Trained for it for about 1-2 months now and have been saying that so long as I crack 1:30, this would be my last as it has been such effort having to train. I've not been going out on the lash properly for about 2 months as well and watching what I eat. All my mates have been out getting twisted most weekends and I've had to stay in. Further, I'm sick of the sight of pasta! All of eaten for the last week is pasta and potatoes. Well nervous befor the race too, so much so that I was saying that it'd be my last. But now having done it, and still feeling the sense of euphoria you get afterwards I'm thinking about doing another! Tried to enter the GNR last year and the London marathon, but failed to get a place, but now, only a day's gone by and I'm already thinking "fuck this, I'll enter another". It's like a drug! So happy today.   Get in!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:32:08 am by Pheeny »
..........IS MEASURED ONLY BY SUCCESS"

RAWK - HJC Champions 2003
Former RAWK Scribe 2002 - 2004

Offline nige

• RAWK Poet Laureate
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Running Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 3, 2005, 12:16:41 pm »
Well done mate, proud of you ! Gonna do the Liverpool 13 miles in March for a VERY good cause. Will be more than happy with 1 hour 35 as long as I save enough for a sprint finish, that's worth losing 3 mins from yer time  for the look on people's faces.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2005, 12:47:26 pm by nige »

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #2 on: October 3, 2005, 12:35:42 pm »
I ran three half marathons for Merseymart sponsored event.
there was a time I loved them, but far too old now.

I ran one complete half marathon with the famous hairdresser once, he was so funny the race passed in what seemed minutes.
Cant think of his name now, will post if

HERBERT was his name

call him what you like, he was big on charity events and a very funny fella

well done Reeves mate, before you enter a full marathon, take some time to think like I did.
At the end of a half marathon someone said
D'ya fancy running that again ?
what would you say
« Last Edit: October 3, 2005, 12:45:30 pm by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2005, 12:41:31 pm »
Well in - I'm sure all the effort was worth it :thumbup

And I saw that Herbert fella on the Weakest Link special a year or two back, seemed like a really sound, funny fella.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2005, 12:53:48 pm »
Well done mate - excellent time.  Not surprised that you are showing the signs of an addict! You must go ahead and run a marathon now - it if you can't get into London, go to Paris - excellent flat course, knowledgeable crowd, great experience and same time of year.

I ran the Berlin marathon last weekend in 3.09 - a personal best and am well pleased.  Here is the thread on that. 

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=82578.0

Going to run another next spring and going to give under 3 hours a serious crack.

Good luck to you.

Offline Kopite09

• Main Stander
  • -5 TIMES-
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2005, 01:11:27 pm »
Well done again Mr Reeves! thats a pretty good position!
Huge on this weekend then?!

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #6 on: October 3, 2005, 01:26:52 pm »
Well done Reeves, a brilliant time too! And go for a marathon, sounds like you're a more than capable runner who won't shy away from putting the extra effort in.

Come Thursday I'm off to Chicago for my second marthon, the Chicago Marathon taking place this Sunday morning. Hoping to break the four hour mark, then going to have my first drink since May 25th 2005! And then fall asleep, no doubt!
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Tom iGor

• gifted googler
  • Legacy Fan
  • http://www.minor7th.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 3, 2005, 01:35:58 pm »
Good time that, but your legs shouldn't be hurting if you trained properly :)

(ps. mine always do too for said reason)

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #8 on: October 3, 2005, 07:00:16 pm »
Cheers guys.

Wool- I know mate, it's obviously double, but let's face it, for the running elite a half is frowned upon, the marathon's the way to go. Would need to do some serious training however.

Like the idea of Paris-will investigate that one. I'm gonna check out GNR and London for next year too. Doubt I'll get a place though. :(

Kopite09- This weekend, indeed my son, will be a biggy. NOt had any grizzly beers for sooo long. I'll be pissed after a pint (no change there then I hear some of you say).

The rest of you marathon runners, keep this thread going, it'll inspire me. It certainly does by reading some of your times, bloody impressive. I worked out that to get my time as yesterday, I must've ran at 15.1 km per hour for the distance. That must be adrenaline helping there cos I do running on treadmills and I could never sustain 15.1 km for so long! I can run at about 14km for a very long time, but not 15.1, so it must be the adrenaline.

In terms of stepping up to the marathon distance I think I ran 6:40 miles yesterday but I don't think I could keep that pace for 26.2 miles. That'd bode for a 2 hour 56 time, which would be unbelievable. I reckon I could do it in , say, under 4 hours? Maybe 3:30 at a push?! I'm merely guessing. I guess you can never tell how or if you can step up to the marathon and with what time until you've had a crack.

What were your first marathon times? What was the step up in distance like?

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #9 on: October 3, 2005, 07:18:09 pm »
Well played! :wave

I'm doing a 5k in january, although thats nowt compared to 10k
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #10 on: October 3, 2005, 08:07:43 pm »
How old are you Raul? Any idea what the peak age is for a marathon runner? 28 like a footy player?

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #11 on: October 3, 2005, 08:09:34 pm »
Well played! :wave

I'm doing a 5k in january, although thats nowt compared to 10k

Should've included 5k in the title mate. Wasn't meaning to be dismissive, just didn't think. Gotta start somewhere and furthermore we're all built for different optimum distances.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2005, 04:10:09 am »
How old are you Raul? Any idea what the peak age is for a marathon runner? 28 like a footy player?
I'm a kid - a mere 38.  The peak or a marathon runner is a bit unclear - between 25 and 35 but if you look at the age profile of the runners in any marathon you will see that there are many many over 35s and many of them post some pretty good times.  I have been running for a while - since university but travel, injuries and inertia prevented me from running my first till I was 35.  I am to keep improving and I figure I can do that for at least another 5 years.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2005, 10:18:34 am »
Mr Reeves and Mr Raul I salute your excellent times, I feel inspired. I also agree about the 'drug' element. I have done very little running this summer, but have just got in from a 40 minute trawl around the houses, and feel so much better for it.

I need to find a 10k to aim for next month....

Pheeny

« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2005, 06:58:17 pm »
Well done Reeves.Excellent time.Hope that some of my advice in the past helped ! :P

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #15 on: October 5, 2005, 12:11:14 pm »
Well done Reeves.Excellent time.Hope that some of my advice in the past helped ! :P

Mate, seriously it has, no shit. For one I am still wearing my sauconys two years after you having recomended them!! Same pair!

Last night I spoke to this bloke at my local footy practice, he used to run 23 miles every sunday morning and then 5 miles every sunday evening in addition to 4 miles a day. His best ever time for london was 2 hrs 27 mins!!!!!!! Unbelieveable. He said he kept pace with Ron Hill for 23 miles! - I've heard of the sports make but never even know ron hill existed (shows my age maybe). Then, he said that at 55 he competed in an oldies marathon of europe and came 17th with a time of 2 hrs 47!! His best half marathon time wa 1 hr 12 mins. Fucking unbelievable. Truly inspiring.

And...he said, that he never gave a flying F about what he ate. Just ate what he wanted. He used to have eggs on toast and a bowl of cereal on the morning of a marathon. Truly impressive. Not theh bioggest bloke in the world either, maybe 5 ft 7, so for a fellow 5 ft 7er I have hope!

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 5, 2005, 12:33:20 pm »
Mate, seriously it has, no shit. For one I am still wearing my sauconys two years after you having recomended them!! Same pair! More than 800-1000k/pair = bad news.  Sauconys = Excellent

Last night I spoke to this bloke at my local footy practice, he used to run 23 miles every sunday morning and then 5 miles every sunday evening in addition to 4 miles a day. His best ever time for london was 2 hrs 27 mins!!!!!!! Unbelieveable. He said he kept pace with Ron Hill for 23 miles! - I've heard of the sports make but never even know ron hill existed (shows my age maybe Indeed). Then, he said that at 55 he competed in an oldies marathon of europe and came 17th with a time of 2 hrs 47!! His best half marathon time wa 1 hr 12 mins. Fucking unbelievable. Truly inspiring.

And...he said, that he never gave a flying F about what he ate. Just ate what he wanted. Not all of us are similarly blessed.  Or talentedHe used to have eggs on toast and a bowl of cereal on the morning of a marathon. Truly impressive. Not theh bioggest bloke in the world either, maybe 5 ft 7, so for a fellow 5 ft 7er I have hope!
Dear Sir,

Please find my marked up comments on your draft above.

Regards

Rumpole

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2005, 11:30:21 pm »
Shameless, I know, but I'm off to Chicago tomorrow lunchtime for my second marathon this Sunday - wish me luck!  :wave

Incidentally, what's been everyone's favourite race they've participated in up till now? Any recommendations etc?

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 6, 2005, 05:18:44 am »
Shameless, I know, but I'm off to Chicago tomorrow lunchtime for my second marathon this Sunday - wish me luck!  :wave

Incidentally, what's been everyone's favourite race they've participated in up till now? Any recommendations etc?
It's shameless and you must do it - you know I did.  All the very best for Chicago - keep a steady pace and say "Calm Calm Calm" to yourself every few kilometres.

I've done London, Paris and Berlin and they are all equally good, in my opinion.  Great crowds, flat course, and wonderful cities to visit, if you have not been before.  London and Paris are spring and Berlin is late Sep so it depends on when you want to do it.  I am thinking about Rome in March '06. 

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 6, 2005, 09:17:45 am »
Cheers Raul - all packed, just wasting time now before heading off to the airport. Aiming to break 4 hours, so a nice steady pace will be the order of the day!

I was down to do Paris this year, but injury put paid to that one. Heard good things about Rome - Barcelona is also in March, another race that has good reports. The Windsor half and New York marathon have been my favourite races; the latter's crowds are immense, really worth an extra mile or two!

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #20 on: October 6, 2005, 12:16:42 pm »
Well done Reeves and an excellent time to boot  :wellin

Good luck with your marathon Ben_JP.  :thumbup

I'm going to be running a 100km off-road race towards the end of the month (22/23 Oct). Fortunately there is a compulsory overnight stop approx halfway, so I'll be able to rest some weary limbs. The race (actually a trail run) is through the mountains and is normally a hiking trail that takes participants 5 days to cover, so it should be quite interesting.
"Chairman Mao has never seen a greater show of red strength." Bill Shankly

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #21 on: October 6, 2005, 01:36:15 pm »

I'm going to be running a 100km off-road race towards the end of the month (22/23 Oct). Fortunately there is a compulsory overnight stop approx halfway, so I'll be able to rest some weary limbs. The race (actually a trail run) is through the mountains and is normally a hiking trail that takes participants 5 days to cover, so it should be quite interesting.

Hardcore mate-I'm impressed!

I've submitted my entry for London now this year-not that I hold out much hope of being successful in teh ballot. Does anyone know how many places there are at london and how many applications there are?

The alternative, of course, is to run for a charity under a guarenteed place. The problem however is that the amountyou need to raise is so high, ie- £1500 -£2500 on average. Not that I'm against running for charity but I'm not sure I could raise that much.

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #22 on: October 6, 2005, 01:37:14 pm »
Anyone got the asics gel nimbus, or whatever they're called. RRP around £100. Any good?

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 6, 2005, 02:08:18 pm »
You are an animal.  And a masochist, since you call it "interesting".

Anyone got the asics gel nimbus, or whatever they're called. RRP around £100. Any good?
I have the Gel Empire, which is a shoe for mild-medium pronators.  Feels good, you feel low to the ground, which I like.  Not sure how close they are to the Nimbus.  Cost 125 Euros in Paris.  Check the reviews online - Runners World or something like that.

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2005, 10:19:15 am »
How was the marathon Ben_JP ?

You are an animal.  And a masochist, since you call it "interesting".

Anyone who is ultra marathon fit should be able to complete the run. The record is approx 15 hours, so it's not like you go hell for leather from the starting gun. Most people complete it in approx 22 hours and I'm hoping for something like 18 hours.

But, now here comes the masochist bit, depending on how I feel after the run (and obviously during the course of it), I'm thinking of doing the Salomon Skyrun which is longer than 100km and is an unmarked mountain run in which competitors have to be able to map read to find their way from the start to the finish.

Here's the website: http://www.skyrun.org.za/

"The difference between Everton and the Queen Mary is that Everton carry more passengers!" Bill Shankly

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2005, 10:24:49 am »
I take it you are in South Africa Shanks?  You certainly have some serious ultra stuff going on there.  I would probably try one 0 in fact the Comrades - if I had more time to train.  Maybe in a few years when I have to work less and I start slowing down.

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2005, 11:29:53 am »
Lived in SA for the last 31 years !

This country has some phenomenal ultra's & sometimes I think that training programmes are more geared towards ultras than normal 10 - 21 km's runs.

My own running club is one of those clubs whose training programmes are that way inclined. Our club captain, who devises the programmes, recently completed a 160km run from Port Alfred to East London. Now that is hard core !

I've run two Comrades, but find that my knees just cannot take the incessant pounding of the tarmac and from 60km's onwards I start picking up ITB.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2005, 07:36:09 pm »
Hello runners!

Well, I just about beat my target of breaking four hours in yesterday's Chicago marathon - I came home in 03:32:37! So chuffed (and sore!) as the result is so much better than I expected.
If you're looking for a flat and quick marathon, Chicago is definitely for you. The route is scenic and the crowds were great; they really helped during those last few painful miles.

Hope everyone's current training is going well - I'm off to a local mall now, apparently they've got a cheesecake factory there :lickin  :wave

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2005, 06:23:42 am »
Hello runners!

Well, I just about beat my target of breaking four hours in yesterday's Chicago marathon - I came home in 03:32:37! So chuffed (and sore!) as the result is so much better than I expected.
If you're looking for a flat and quick marathon, Chicago is definitely for you. The route is scenic and the crowds were great; they really helped during those last few painful miles.

Hope everyone's current training is going well - I'm off to a local mall now, apparently they've got a cheesecake factory there :lickin  :wave
Outstanding!  Breaking your target by that much means 2 things - (a) you were selling yourself short and are much better than you think and (b) you can do much better still.

Have fun and all the best!.

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2005, 07:56:21 am »
Well, I just about beat my target of breaking four hours...

;D

Just about in my vocabulary is anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes.

28 minutes is something entirely different...... Well Done !

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2005, 05:10:43 pm »
 ;D

Cheers fellas, still can't quite manage stairs without wincing like an old man, but well worth the effort!

Think it's back to some 10ks for a few months before I even think about another 26.2 though. Take it easy!

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2005, 01:19:56 pm »
I'm going to be running a 15km road race on Sunday, but will be taking it relatively easy, as I'll be doing a 20km off road training run on Saturday morning. I would normally expect a sub 65 min, but will settle for a sub 70.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2005, 02:37:19 pm »
All the best with those runs Shanks! Sub 70mins is still impressive running, hope you hit your targets!

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2005, 02:48:56 pm »
All the best Shanks! I may run a half this Sunday if I can get back to town in time. 

Offline shankstheman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2005, 07:12:49 am »
Missed the Sub 70 by 2 minutes, but not too dissapointed as it was a toughish course and didn't want to overextend myself before the coming weekend.

As a matter of interest, do any of the runners on here use heart rate monitors?

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2005, 01:33:06 pm »
Well played Ben-quality time.

I've entered Paris 2006 now! It'll be my first marathon. I've entered in the 3hr 30 category. My best 1/2 Marathon is 1hr 28, so hoping to beat that, but we'll see. Quality idea Paris have got going on, with teh pacemakers in different time zones wearing different coloured tops and carrying different coloured baloons.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2005, 04:20:00 pm »
Well played Ben-quality time.

I've entered Paris 2006 now! It'll be my first marathon. I've entered in the 3hr 30 category. My best 1/2 Marathon is 1hr 28, so hoping to beat that, but we'll see. Quality idea Paris have got going on, with teh pacemakers in different time zones wearing different coloured tops and carrying different coloured baloons.
Mate well done but you should definitely have entered the 3.15 category - with a 1.28 half, that's more than within range.  Can give you lots of tips for the race when it gets closer, including a hotel from which you can get to the start very easily and walk back to
Missed the Sub 70 by 2 minutes, but not too dissapointed as it was a toughish course and didn't want to overextend myself before the coming weekend.

As a matter of interest, do any of the runners on here use heart rate monitors?
Well done Shanks - have had to stay out of town so could not run the half the last weekend.

Offline LFCMunkee

• Cheekee!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2005, 04:23:32 pm »
Well done Reeves  :thumbup
Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall - so the referee booked him

Offline Reeves

• Legacy Fan
    • RAWK
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2005, 01:44:16 pm »
Mate well done but you should definitely have entered the 3.15 category - with a 1.28 half, that's more than within range.  Can give you lots of tips for the race when it gets closer, including a hotel from which you can get to the start very easily and walk back toWell done Shanks - have had to stay out of town so could not run the half the last weekend.

Point taken but I still feel 3:30 is fairly realistic, not having done a full marathon before. I mean it's fair to say double your half marathon time plus 10 minutes, but is it really that easy?! I'm not convinced! Further, with teh pacemakers there'd be nothing more demoralising than slipping behind your colour! I figure it'd be better to start in a slightly slower category then chase the colour in front!  We shall see!

On your tips for a hotel close to the start, that's great. Can I have details now so I can investigate and maybe book early? Cheers matey.

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 01:09:55 pm »
Right, I've definitely got the marathon bug and as a result have been looking at Boston. Unfortunetly you need a qualifying time - 3h10m for 18-34-year-olds (which is bizarre seeing as the course is quite a tough one and certainly not amongst the world's fastest). I'm wondering, is this going to be too much of a leap from 3:32?
I'm looking at Boston 2007 at the earliest, more like 2008, so I'd say, realistically I've got four attempts (working on the basis of two marathons per year) My half marathon PB is 1:36, which would need to go to nearly sub-1:30 to set me up, but it is something I'm willing to push for and I know I'm strong enough mentally. Just after some advice from the quicker runners - am I being too ambitious? Is increased mileage the best way forward? Should I focus on half marathons in the short-term?

Any advice and recommendations will be much appreciated - thanks in advance.