Author Topic: Holidays - UK or abroad?  (Read 43616 times)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holidays - UK or abroad?
« Reply #160 on: May 7, 2021, 06:12:46 pm »
Yeah we had toyed with going to the Canaries in October half term. My wife’s a teacher too and not sure I can be arsed with the hassle of things change again or we have to quarantine. Better to wait again until next year.

We're due to go to Cyprus in Oct. With both me and the missus WFH, I'd happily quarantine at home now if we had to.

UK Holidays are going to get even more expensive now
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: May 7, 2021, 06:20:55 pm »
Was due to go to Dubai in a week but will have to postpone it for the 4th time. A shame it’s still on the red list but I suppose we just have to go with what the government say. Will probably look for dates in September, hoping by then things are a lot better but I’m not so confident. Like Rob and a few others on here I was looking forward to having a break after a challenging last year but it wasn’t meant to be, ah well hopefully next time.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #162 on: May 7, 2021, 06:27:03 pm »
We're due to go to Cyprus in Oct. With both me and the missus WFH, I'd happily quarantine at home now if we had to.

UK Holidays are going to get even more expensive now

Might go on my own. :D

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #163 on: May 7, 2021, 06:56:47 pm »
Rob, I think your problem with your Lanzarote trip might have been that Spain has extended the ban on UK arrivals until at least 31 May. Even if you'd been able to get on the plane they wouldn't have let you in and if you had an EJ package I'm not surprised they cancelled it.

We're meant to be coming over from Bermuda in July for my mum's 70th. She really wants to spend it abroad so we had been looking at coming over then all of us going on a package trip to Portugal or the Canaries. There are loads of variables in that plan as it is and if they're not putting us on the green list then I think we might have to jib the whole thing as we certainly don't want to quarantine. Going to be a very fluid situation which we're just going to have to keep an eye on I think.
DAMMIT!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: May 7, 2021, 07:41:57 pm »
Rob, I think your problem with your Lanzarote trip might have been that Spain has extended the ban on UK arrivals until at least 31 May. Even if you'd been able to get on the plane they wouldn't have let you in and if you had an EJ package I'm not surprised they cancelled it.

We're meant to be coming over from Bermuda in July for my mum's 70th. She really wants to spend it abroad so we had been looking at coming over then all of us going on a package trip to Portugal or the Canaries. There are loads of variables in that plan as it is and if they're not putting us on the green list then I think we might have to jib the whole thing as we certainly don't want to quarantine. Going to be a very fluid situation which we're just going to have to keep an eye on I think.

Yeah I twigged that in the end, just annoying as they opened online check in on Wednesday. If we had a competent govt, they'd have made plans with Spain to lockdown the Canaries a couple of months ago, then only allow UK visitors, with the guarantee they'd fill the island with vaccinated Brits. Helps both economies then.

Hopefully you can get it sorted for your Mums 70th
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: May 8, 2021, 05:31:51 pm »
So we booked Portugal for 8 of us late last year in a rented villa for June 5th , flights booked with easyJet all well and good but today had to book three pre flight tests for me the missus and one for my lad which come to £180 with a 50% discount off easyJet , one is arranged in Portugal at €100 each and need one two days after arrival in the uk which will possibly be up to £120 each , so not far off an extra £900 for a family of three even after second vaccinations .

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #166 on: May 10, 2021, 10:08:28 pm »
Has anyone ever flew Easy-Jet, to Port Stanley?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: May 10, 2021, 10:14:40 pm »
So we booked Portugal for 8 of us late last year in a rented villa for June 5th , flights booked with easyJet all well and good but today had to book three pre flight tests for me the missus and one for my lad which come to £180 with a 50% discount off easyJet , one is arranged in Portugal at €100 each and need one two days after arrival in the uk which will possibly be up to £120 each , so not far off an extra £900 for a family of three even after second vaccinations .

Thats a total rip off that.

We were going to look again when they review the lits on the 28th, as we were due to fly on the 30th, but after reading that we're not bothering. Me and the missus get 2nd jabs on the 22nd, and with the eldest lad being 12, we would need 3 of us testing. We'll just stay at home and go to local pubs and restaurants, they can fuck off if they think I'm spending a load of money to go stay somewhere in the shitty UK.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2021, 09:54:48 am »
Going to the Scottish Highlands for a week in June staying at a hotel in the Kyle of Lochalsh and will be doing a bit of touring. I've wanted to go to Skye for a long time and now it's on.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2021, 10:09:29 am »
Has anyone ever flew Easy-Jet, to Port Stanley?

:)

Even Tom Bradbury on ITV news at 10 took the piss following the report on the destinations allowed.

"So Holidaymakers can now enjoy a trip to Portugal or the Falkland Islands"

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2021, 10:24:41 am »
If I could afford some of the prices being bandied about, along with their "pre-flight" Covid related shenanigans, I wouldn't be flying fucking Easyjet in the first place.

I know UK holidays can be expensive, but if I have nine hundred quid to burn I know where I'd rather spend it.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2021, 11:16:53 am »
If I could afford some of the prices being bandied about, along with their "pre-flight" Covid related shenanigans, I wouldn't be flying fucking Easyjet in the first place.

I know UK holidays can be expensive, but if I have nine hundred quid to burn I know where I'd rather spend it.

Flown with Easy Jet loads of times, they are ace.

Reports Spain are going to waive the covid tests for Brits so might be looking at going away in 3 weeks after all if they go on the green list.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: May 12, 2021, 11:38:57 am »
Flown with Easy Jet loads of times, they are ace.

Reports Spain are going to waive the covid tests for Brits so might be looking at going away in 3 weeks after all if they go on the green list.

Had no problem with them myself either, other than a cancelled flight, which they refunded me and paid for a hotel for an extra two nights.  But if I were in gazzam's situation I'd be right pissed off.

It's the main reason I'll have to likely put off flying for another year. I get stressed enough travelling abroad without having to deal with the extra hassle Brexit and Covid will be layering on.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: May 12, 2021, 12:12:50 pm »
Had no problem with them myself either, other than a cancelled flight, which they refunded me and paid for a hotel for an extra two nights.  But if I were in gazzam's situation I'd be right pissed off.

It's the main reason I'll have to likely put off flying for another year. I get stressed enough travelling abroad without having to deal with the extra hassle Brexit and Covid will be layering on.

Not Easyjets fault though, its the rules about having to take 3 separate covid tests that's added the costs - hopefully that will change.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: May 12, 2021, 05:18:54 pm »
Even going to Spain Rob if that’s out on the green list and they waive a per test , you still will need two for the uk and one of them would have to be in Spain a few days before you arrive home then the day2 one after the trips over

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: May 12, 2021, 05:28:12 pm »
Even going to Spain Rob if that’s out on the green list and they waive a per test , you still will need two for the uk and one of them would have to be in Spain a few days before you arrive home then the day2 one after the trips over

Is the test in the UK to allow you on the plane, or needed due to the arrival country requiring it? I assumed we'd be OK in the UK getting on a plane full of Brits seeing as its leaving from here and that we'd just need to 2 day after arrival test?

We're fucking it off anyway now, can't be arsed with the hassle and lack of information.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #176 on: May 12, 2021, 06:10:45 pm »

Do you still need this if you've had both jabs?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2021, 06:33:15 pm »

Do you still need this if you've had both jabs?

At the moment yet , the first jab you have in the uk is it to satisfy the county your arriving in , the next two are for the uk side . If you go to an amber zone it’s three tests for the uk one prior to leaving your destination for your arrival at uk immigration then one on day 2 then day 8 once your back home

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: May 12, 2021, 06:34:09 pm »
These tests are really putting me off. Turkey said they won't need them but I'll still need two when back in the UK, that's £240. And no guarantee that Turkey will even be on the amber/green list.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2021, 07:15:00 pm »
At the moment yet , the first jab you have in the uk is it to satisfy the county your arriving in , the next two are for the uk side . If you go to an amber zone it’s three tests for the uk one prior to leaving your destination for your arrival at uk immigration then one on day 2 then day 8 once your back home

Thanks.

Seems daft.

We're off to Jockland for our main holiday this year. I'm betting on a shitty summer of weather.

I've got a lads' weekend in Benidorm for a 50th in November. Presume the shitstorm will be over by then.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2021, 07:52:16 pm »
Not Easyjets fault though, its the rules about having to take 3 separate covid tests that's added the costs - hopefully that will change.

I've seen advertisement hoardings in Garston from "companies" offering swift, cheap Covid tests for travel purposes.  It feels positively vulture-like, how people swoop in to take advantage of such "opportunities".

I promised myself I wouldn't fly again after the stress fest of Paris 2019; the current situation is not doing anything to change that position.

Popcorn's Art

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2021, 08:03:11 pm »
I've seen advertisement hoardings in Garston from "companies" offering swift, cheap Covid tests for travel purposes.  It feels positively vulture-like, how people swoop in to take advantage of such "opportunities".

I promised myself I wouldn't fly again after the stress fest of Paris 2019; the current situation is not doing anything to change that position.

Country is full of vultures now, feels more like America.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: May 13, 2021, 09:25:40 pm »
Portugal has extended the state of calamity til 30th May, no decision has been made yet on whether UK travellers are allowed in from Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57107154

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2021, 11:26:59 pm »
That green list is going well then, effectively rules out all but Gibraltar, that world-famous beach destination.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: May 14, 2021, 07:25:44 am »
That green list is going well then, effectively rules out all but Gibraltar, that world-famous beach destination.

Some fella high up on Gibraltar was on the telly last week, he sounded just like a racist Brexit voter. Saying things along the lines of food was none of that foreign muck and you can relax as everyone speaks English so its not uncomfortable, its like being in Britain but in the sun.

Made me determined to never ever go to Gibraltar.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #185 on: May 14, 2021, 08:01:37 am »
Mate of mine works in Gib (as does most of the gambling industry it seems) and backs up them being racist weirdos. Apparently they voted heavily against Brexit though which shocked me

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #186 on: May 14, 2021, 09:03:41 am »
I used to work in Gibraltar on secondment for around a year in 2014 as unfortunately I worked in the gambling industry for a few years in my early 20s before I saw sense and got out. It's an expensive shithole - London prices but dirty and full of odd people. It's like if you slapped Stoke-On-Trent on the Spanish peninsula. I know a few who still live there, they're being brought back or relocated to Malta due to something with the licensing there that stops the remote gaming companies fiddling their tax as they currently do. Gibraltar is filled with more backwards racist flag-shaggers than most towns in England itself. It's bizarre.

In other news, Spain saying they're going to allow incoming UK flights from May 20th.

“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2021, 12:31:48 pm »
Portugal has extended the state of calamity til 30th May, no decision has been made yet on whether UK travellers are allowed in from Monday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57107154

Serious matter of course, but 'The State of Calamity' sounds as if it's been lifted from a Carry On film.

Like 'Carry on Abroad' when the regulars took themselves off for a nice holiday to the Spanish resort of Elsbels.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: June 3, 2021, 05:20:01 pm »
Well  that’s Portugal on Saturday cancelled  , plenty of hassle sorting all the tests out and now out of pocket for them as well . Ended up rebooking flights for this time next year and awaiting on whether we will get anything back off the villa we booked right pain in the arse 

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: June 3, 2021, 05:34:55 pm »
Well  that’s Portugal on Saturday cancelled  , plenty of hassle sorting all the tests out and now out of pocket for them as well . Ended up rebooking flights for this time next year and awaiting on whether we will get anything back off the villa we booked right pain in the arse 

That's shite that.

This fucking government needs shooting, they are just a bunch of inept c*nts. Why allow travel only to pull it? Either grow some fucking balls and say no initially, or once open deal with it properly.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: June 3, 2021, 07:08:24 pm »
Agree Rob , As one of the travel companies said they stated they would give a weeks green to amber notice to stop a scramble home ;what happened to that ..destroy anyone’s confidence in travel abroad

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #191 on: June 3, 2021, 07:11:32 pm »
Sorry to hear that.. that’s really crappy
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: June 3, 2021, 08:39:10 pm »
I've cancelled mine now, Turkey in September. Pretty much zero chance it would go ahead and couldn't be bothered changing it to next year as there's no guarantee it'll be on the green list.

This incompetent government is determined to kill the travel industry. Absolutely ridiculous that not even a fully vaccinated person can visit a country like Portugal or Malta without having to quanrantine on return. World beating' vaccination programme my arse.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: June 3, 2021, 10:14:01 pm »
That’s really hard luck for those who have had to cancel. However, we should not be travelling abroad for a holiday.

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #194 on: June 3, 2021, 10:23:55 pm »
That’s really hard luck for those who have had to cancel. However, we should not be travelling abroad for a holiday.

Agreed.

I'd bloody love a holiday, and can understand why everyone else wants one too. But there's a killer virus on the loose and our vaccines are maybe less effective vs the variants imported from other countries, so maybe ... lets not go to other countries for a bit eh.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: June 3, 2021, 11:05:16 pm »
I think the government have treated the travel industry awfully. I feel holidays abroad may be a bad idea but this traffic light system and lack of warning just screwed everyone over.

On holidaying in the UK that's our plan now (either that or do nothing) and Jesus Christ prices for English holidays are absolutely disgusting. Self catering house for a week down in Somerset is WAY more expensive than comparable holidays abroad.

I am sure this is going to be a nice holiday but under normal circumstances there is no way my family would usually do this, and especially would not pay a premium way above abroad prices for the privilege

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: June 4, 2021, 11:09:57 am »
Me and my partner were stupid enough to risk booking a holiday earlier in year assuming vaccines would sort it out a bit. Nice trip to Dubai in September. Was a gamble but was an amazing deal. We decided to cancel yesterday not worth the risk and the hotel money was due in a couple of weeks. Lost £180 in admin fees for flights with a company called Travelup (never ever use these scammers, get you with low prices). But serves us right in a way. Was a stupid idea in hindsight.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #197 on: June 4, 2021, 11:19:16 am »
We're booking in for Florence still at and of July and still going up to now. I work from home a lot anyway so quarantining for 5 days (will get the added test) when back isn't too much issue.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: June 4, 2021, 11:36:21 am »
Me and my partner were stupid enough to risk booking a holiday earlier in year assuming vaccines would sort it out a bit. Nice trip to Dubai in September. Was a gamble but was an amazing deal. We decided to cancel yesterday not worth the risk and the hotel money was due in a couple of weeks. Lost £180 in admin fees for flights with a company called Travelup (never ever use these scammers, get you with low prices). But serves us right in a way. Was a stupid idea in hindsight.
Dubai's a funny one. They've got one of the highest vaccination rates in the world but the only reason they're on the red list is because DXB is a major transit hub, especially for the likes of India, Pakistan and Nepal so it's a huge risk in that sense. I was thinking of booking it for May 2022 but booking anywhere right now is pointless until we get some sort of clarity.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: June 4, 2021, 11:59:15 am »
Dubai's a funny one. They've got one of the highest vaccination rates in the world but the only reason they're on the red list is because DXB is a major transit hub, especially for the likes of India, Pakistan and Nepal so it's a huge risk in that sense. I was thinking of booking it for May 2022 but booking anywhere right now is pointless until we get some sort of clarity.

Yeah that's the issue with Dubai it's a transit hub. Had chance to change to a voucher up until May 2022. But rather take the hit and wait. Was a gamble that didn't pay off. Was worth the risk for the discount in the first place.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker