Author Topic: Martial Arts  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Martial Arts
« on: September 28, 2012, 03:53:18 pm »
Which are best for what body type. Not a look how good I am at fighting thread. I'd like to have something about that field in here. :wave
Yep.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Re: Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:11:30 am »
Depends what you are after. There are no real 'body type' martial arts. Different ones suit different mentalities. Larger people can use their weight, smaller people can use their dexterity, faster people can use their speed etc.

Martial Arts (Largely) are not really about fighting - but again depends on how they are taught. I know people that have one of these jazzy sounding studios whose aim it appears is to 'learn stuff' and then kick the shite out of people on the street.

I was taught by the likes of Steve Cattle, Kawazoi, John Errington, Brian Philcox, Pete Collins, Ticky Donovan, Alan Hughes (Karate), Alan Smith (Ju-Jitsu), Master Hedges (Tang soo do),  Mike Lloyd (Aikido) and all of them were hugely inspiring people with a great respect for other people, life and themselves.

Things like Aikido are a soft style (This doesn't mean that people that do it are soft) it is an ideal self defence style and the soft refers to the fact you can choose when and where to inflict pain and damage and you can choose to inflict none.

Things like Ju-Jitsu are a halfway house - they use holds, locking blocks and immobilising techniques and also incorporate strikes and kicks.

Things like Karate and Kung Fu are more about striking and are 'hard' styles (Though each can be taught moderating the original intent) because they maximise damage and minimise the time to inflict damage.

Some people that 'do martial arts' are hard men (And woman) that can fight and can 'handle themselves' but many more that do it are interested in the philosophy and understanding of themselves that studying such things bring. They enjoy the confidence and the ability to help others and to try and do good in the world backed by their confidence in themselves.

It's no surprise that some of the hardest people I have ever met in my life that do martial arts are also the loveliest people you will ever meet. They have absolutely no need to act like bastards or to be horrible to people they meet. They suffice and are comfortable that they suffice. You also can get this in other disciplines like boxing and the like.

I would recommend anyone with kids to get them training in something. Just find a good instructor that's not interested in violence and promotes the philosophical ideas of the arts and promotes respect and discipline.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:21:46 am by Andy @ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »
Whatever style you choose, if it's a heavy contact system rather than a 'soft' one - look for a coach / sifu / master / trainer / whatever fancy title they have these days that puts a lot of emphasis on conditioning. A lot. If you don't see that, don't proceed with him / her.

I can only speak in detail about wing chun and boxing so - wing chun was designed as a style where the practitioner is at a physical disadvantage. As such, the techniques are suitable for all kinds of physiques, from lardarses to dainty little girls. Thing is, again, depending on how much sparring you wish to do, the execution bit will always require good conditioning beforehand if you are not to end up worse physically than before you joined training.

« Last Edit: October 6, 2012, 08:12:06 pm by surfer »

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21:43 am »
Martial Arts are great for getting you fit and in shape, but please forgive me if I say not many are that great at teaching you how to defend yourself? Ive done a few, three to a high level and while they do give you confidence, theres not much of it id rely on in a street situation. Ive done Shokatan (spelling) Karate, Judo and Krav Maga as well as some Aikido, mainly though im a boxer. All of this stuff is great for getting you in shape, keeping you in shape, getting you flexible and supple, doing wonders for your fitness whatever your age. However Krav Maga is the one if your looking for self defence. Its the toughest ive found so far, and im always looking for a challenge. Boxing is my passion but im always looking to challenge myself and improve what i can do already.

I wouldnt rely on any of this in a street fight though, if it comes to that, and it has a few times, do whatever it takes, fingers in the eyes, bite wherever you can, pull the blokes balls off, do whatever you have to, dont rely on martial arts to save you if your attacked. It helps, but it isnt guarenteed and a lot of people think itll help them instantly in any situation! Andys right though, people who are at a high level in any art have nothing to prove and are often the nicest people you will meet, at one with themself. Shame we all cant be like that, world would be a better place!
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: November 3, 2012, 10:25:41 am »
Mirra is right. If you want to learn Martial Arts to batter people then it won't work (in most cases)

That's not what they are. But they do help you centre yourself and find out who you are. Everyone is different but if you know yourself then that's a big advantage in life.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Mirra

• The Cock of RAWK. desperately seeking two fat ladies. His ass found glass in the grass.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No one on the corner got a swagger like me
« Reply #5 on: November 3, 2012, 01:18:55 pm »
Great for kids to get into mind, my youngins go to Ju-Jitsui and they love it, teaches them discipline and respect etc, keeps them off the playstation and active as well. Id definatley tell any parent to get their kids into either boxing or martial arts.
Mirra, 7777 wake up the thread needs you!

Offline AM76

• Joylessly cynical skimreader aka IQ76
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2012, 01:04:28 am »
Martial Arts are great for getting you fit and in shape, but please forgive me if I say not many are that great at teaching you how to defend yourself? Ive done a few, three to a high level and while they do give you confidence, theres not much of it id rely on in a street situation. Ive done Shokatan (spelling) Karate, Judo and Krav Maga as well as some Aikido, mainly though im a boxer. All of this stuff is great for getting you in shape, keeping you in shape, getting you flexible and supple, doing wonders for your fitness whatever your age. However Krav Maga is the one if your looking for self defence. Its the toughest ive found so far, and im always looking for a challenge. Boxing is my passion but im always looking to challenge myself and improve what i can do already.

I wouldnt rely on any of this in a street fight though, if it comes to that, and it has a few times, do whatever it takes, fingers in the eyes, bite wherever you can, pull the blokes balls off, do whatever you have to, dont rely on martial arts to save you if your attacked. It helps, but it isnt guarenteed and a lot of people think itll help them instantly in any situation! Andys right though, people who are at a high level in any art have nothing to prove and are often the nicest people you will meet, at one with themself. Shame we all cant be like that, world would be a better place!

Ive done karate, jui jitsu, kickboxing and currently do muay thai.  Out of all of them, for self defence, jui jitsu is he best one.  Teaches you how to block punches then counter.

If you want to learn a more attacking martial art, muay thai or kickboxing is your best bet.  You arent relying on someone making the first move so you can block and react.  With muay thai, what i like is that its a very offensive martial art, you can go straight on the attack.  But it horses for courses really.  Some people like learning take downs and locks, others (like me), prefer the stand up side of things.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Krav Maga
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 02:53:34 pm »
Edit - Oh, seems this post was merged into here rather than being its own topic. Anyway it's about Krav Maga.

What are people's opinions on this? Anyone ever done it?

I did kick boxing for 3-4 years back when I was 16 to 20 and loved it, and now I've got back into my fitness (after taking an 8 year 'break') I was thinking of getting back into some sort of martial art type thing.

I'd probably end up going to the one in Liverpool (Kravmaga-system.co.uk) - anyone been to this one?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 06:24:12 pm by CraigDS »

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Krav Maga
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 11:40:07 pm »
Edit - Oh, seems this post was merged into here rather than being its own topic. Anyway it's about Krav Maga.

What are people's opinions on this? Anyone ever done it?

I did kick boxing for 3-4 years back when I was 16 to 20 and loved it, and now I've got back into my fitness (after taking an 8 year 'break') I was thinking of getting back into some sort of martial art type thing.

I'd probably end up going to the one in Liverpool (Kravmaga-system.co.uk) - anyone been to this one?

My mates been doing it for a few years in Liverpool, Huyton I think, he totally loves it, but it's fairly expensive and pretty hard core, no real philosophy like alot of the Eastern Martial arts, it takes techniques from all fighting systems and pares them down for effective street fighting with emphasis on trying to create realistic situations, if you've got anything specific you need to know I can ask him for you.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Krav Maga
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:42:44 pm »
My mates been doing it for a few years in Liverpool, Huyton I think, he totally loves it, but it's fairly expensive and pretty hard core, no real philosophy like alot of the Eastern Martial arts, it takes techniques from all fighting systems and pares them down for effective street fighting with emphasis on trying to create realistic situations, if you've got anything specific you need to know I can ask him for you.

Cheers for that, I didn't realise their was one in Huyton as the one I'd seen was on Parliament St.

I presume he rates the place if he has been doing it for a few years there, which is what I was after knowing really as rather go somewhere someone has been and rates rather than some shite!

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 11:49:26 pm »
Anyone here doing MMA? Just discovered theres a club in my town, so wanted to try it out. Would you recommend it?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 12:49:03 pm »
Only taken 3 years but booked my first Krav Maga class for Monday.

Anyone on here do it?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2016, 09:23:03 pm »
Just back in from it. Knackered but loved it. Mixed level group but was with one of the instructors for the whole time to try and drill some of the basics in whilst picking up the advanced stuff too!

Definitely not like 'proper' martial arts with set in stone form, discipline, etc. as is more defend by attacking, fast.

Offline Spezialo

• Knocked out of the world cup. Should have had a pen. As if you wouldn't confront the ref.
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 08:15:48 am »
Ive watched some krav maga on youtube. Looks quite handy ha. Some of the stuff is brilliant.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 12:21:04 pm »
Ive watched some krav maga on youtube. Looks quite handy ha. Some of the stuff is brilliant.

Yeah the main instructor and one of the other experienced guys were sparring last night and it was crazy.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 01:16:50 pm »
Just back in from it. Knackered but loved it. Mixed level group but was with one of the instructors for the whole time to try and drill some of the basics in whilst picking up the advanced stuff too!

Definitely not like 'proper' martial arts with set in stone form, discipline, etc. as is more defend by attacking, fast.

It's the go to martial arts of the Mossad, as far as I know.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 01:44:47 pm »
It's the go to martial arts of the Mossad, as far as I know.

Yeah was developed in Israel so wouldn't surprise me. The institutor fella is off out there for the next 3 weeks to train with some guys which I imagine is going to be pretty intense!

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 03:38:16 am »
for the OP..

I echo what others have said on here..

Also, if you are thinking of taking up a 'martial art' for self-defence and protecting yourself in real world situations then make sure you also find a class where they teach you the prelim stuff too, i.e.

Not just physical conditioning and how to fight but more importantly:
1. how to spot danger before it unravels
2. de-escalation techniques, i.e. basically how to calm down a potential attacker without resorting to physicality
3. "the guard" - basically how to stand ready pre-fight
4. defence against common street weapons, i.e. knife, sticks, etc.

In short, you want to be able to avoid trouble....but if you do unfortunately end up in a skirmish....you wanna know how to strike and run (within the law)

'Arts' which help with all of the above are a decent instructor who's been there done that and Close Quarters Combat like Krav Maga, Combat Jui Jitsu, stuff the military, police, and security personnel are taught etc.

Online Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 7, 2018, 01:38:00 pm »
Got back into judo.

Was a blue belt at the age of 10, but quit for some reason. Nagged my parents, really regret it now.

Going to be strange getting back into it, 12 years on, and will have to relearn an awful lot. You have to be incredibly fit and strong, but I needed some form of aim/desire/something new to get me out of a slump I'm in. Can't wait to fight competitively again, either.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2018, 07:38:03 pm »
Got back into judo.

Was a blue belt at the age of 10, but quit for some reason. Nagged my parents, really regret it now.

Going to be strange getting back into it, 12 years on, and will have to relearn an awful lot. You have to be incredibly fit and strong, but I needed some form of aim/desire/something new to get me out of a slump I'm in. Can't wait to fight competitively again, either.
That's brilliant.
I've had a couple of stints in different disciplines over the years. Wonder if it's time for another....

Online Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 8, 2018, 12:22:50 am »
That's brilliant.
I've had a couple of stints in different disciplines over the years. Wonder if it's time for another....
I can recommend judo. I'm aching all over, but it feels so good to have got back into it!

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 03:37:24 pm »
Hi all

I'm 41 and did a bit of boxing last year which I enjoyed but the club I was going to closed for refurb and has now reopened as some kind of community boxing club (which I support) but now has a very different clientele. It was previously mixed age groups looking to get fit but now it is largely 16/17 year olds lurking around trying to look hard so it's not really for me. I started looking into martial arts for my son who is 9 and, as a result, I have today booked to start a 30 day trial in kung fu for myself.

The main thing for me really is about trying to improve my flexibility as I am stiff as anything (insert joke here) and kung fu looks like it will do that. I'll do the 30 day free trial and then try and stick to it.

Anyone done kung fu in their 40s? If so, how have you found it?

I have already searched how long it will take me to be a black belt and i'm looking at about 4/5 years!!  8)
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.