Author Topic: Space exploration thread - Unexpected Rapid Disassembly in the launch area.  (Read 312156 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #3040 on: September 19, 2021, 10:27:28 pm »
Bad news is that I’ve got to work about 2000 years to afford one trip…
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3041 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:28 pm »
Wasn't it the same with the steel (Carnegie) and oil (Rockefeller), etc., industry back in the day? They drove the technical innovation and made transportation affordable, bringing a 3 month cross-US voyage by horse to a mere week by train.

I'm not sure that's a realistic comparison to space tourism.  How about these guys stick to stuff the human race needs now, where technology exists and utilising their resources could transform the lives of literally billions of people within five years? Better than shooting rich people into space surely?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3042 on: September 19, 2021, 10:38:23 pm »
I'm not sure that's a realistic comparison to space tourism.  How about these guys stick to stuff the human race needs now, where technology exists and utilising their resources could transform the lives of literally billions of people within five years? Better than shooting rich people into space surely?
I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments, but that's a wishful thinking, mate... Yeah, it would be good, but it's not realistic. Even the big magnates of that time became big philanthropists as a competition who will give more, not because they felt good for the human race in any way. As much as it sucks in some aspects (mainly creating disparity), competition drives progress. Regulations is what curbs the disparities (as we know all too well even in football), regulations are lacking.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: September 19, 2021, 10:39:42 pm »
Bad news is that I’ve got to work about 2000 years to afford one trip…
I bet you knocked a few years off that number already, so stop whinging and get on with it!  ;D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3044 on: September 20, 2021, 09:50:33 am »
I'm not disagreeing with your sentiments, but that's a wishful thinking, mate... Yeah, it would be good, but it's not realistic. Even the big magnates of that time became big philanthropists as a competition who will give more, not because they felt good for the human race in any way. As much as it sucks in some aspects (mainly creating disparity), competition drives progress. Regulations is what curbs the disparities (as we know all too well even in football), regulations are lacking.

Of course it's not realistic. I'm just tired of lauding these tax evading shirkers for what they're doing instead of them rightfully getting shit for what they should be doing but aren't.

As I said, I love space exploration and discovery, but for me this is just space-washing by men trying to launder their reputations to the public. As I see it, whatever benefits might come of it are trickle down.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3045 on: September 20, 2021, 09:53:34 am »
100% not the case for Musk imo, he truly believes for the human race to survive they need to be multi-planetary and everything SpaceX does is aiming towards that.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3046 on: September 20, 2021, 09:57:22 am »

A lot of this tech will filter down though, and wouldn't necessarily be developed otherwise.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3047 on: September 20, 2021, 03:09:40 pm »
100% not the case for Musk imo, he truly believes for the human race to survive they need to be multi-planetary and everything SpaceX does is aiming towards that.

Orrrr... he could set up a lobby opposed to the fossil fuel industry to try and buy off politicians currently resisting plans to tackle climate change?  I dunno - maybe he has!

A lot of this tech will filter down though, and wouldn't necessarily be developed otherwise.

So... trickle down technology? ;)

I've said my piece now anyway. I don't want to derail the thread, although I do think billionaire spacemen should be separated out from this discussion. As you were everyone. :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 03:11:26 pm by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3048 on: September 27, 2021, 11:34:26 pm »
SN20 is cryotesting very soon.. maybe tonight
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline RainbowFlick

• The Test Ticket Tout. Head of the RAWK Vice Squad.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3049 on: September 28, 2021, 11:46:40 am »

Orrrr... he could set up a lobby opposed to the fossil fuel industry to try and buy off politicians currently resisting plans to tackle climate change?  I dunno - maybe he has!

So... trickle down technology? ;)

I've said my piece now anyway. I don't want to derail the thread, although I do think billionaire spacemen should be separated out from this discussion. As you were everyone. :)

YNWA.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3050 on: September 28, 2021, 12:46:54 pm »
Enlightening input as ever  ::)

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3051 on: September 28, 2021, 01:42:32 pm »
SN20 did cryo testing  last night

A small number of heat tiles popped off in the process
W

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3052 on: September 29, 2021, 10:00:37 am »
Speaking of heat tiles.....
There's an insight on the web to the failed shuttle that burnt uonon reentry. It seems the ground crew knew there was a strong chance this would happen after they analysed the footage of the bit of ice from the boosters, but decided against telling the crew as they knew there was nothing that could be done. What a horrible secret to have to keep. I wonder if they had to bareface lie to the families.

Sorry, massive human challenges as well as technical ones.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3053 on: September 29, 2021, 10:49:24 am »
Both shuttle disasters were littered with human errors weren't they? The Challenger documentary is especially chilling to watch and it should never have flown on the day it did!

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3054 on: September 29, 2021, 04:57:26 pm »
Speaking of heat tiles.....
There's an insight on the web to the failed shuttle that burnt uonon reentry. It seems the ground crew knew there was a strong chance this would happen after they analysed the footage of the bit of ice from the boosters, but decided against telling the crew as they knew there was nothing that could be done. What a horrible secret to have to keep. I wonder if they had to bareface lie to the families.

Sorry, massive human challenges as well as technical ones.

It wasn't ice though?  It was foam shedded by the main tank during launch that struck the leading edge of Columbia's left wing and punched a hole in it.  It had happened on numerous occasions before without consequences, which was one more reason why they didn't bother informing the crew.

I saw a programme many years ago that considered several possible rescue scenarios had the damage been discovered prior to reentry. One was a rescue shuttle; another was a flight plan for re-entry that favoured the undamaged wing edge; if that wasn't possible then another option was to get Columbia far enough into the atmosphere were the crew could bail out through the emergency hatch.

The shuttle, although a technical marvel, was plagued by design flaws as a result of competing requirements.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3055 on: September 30, 2021, 01:58:08 pm »
Ah, probably right about the foam Red Berry. Just my memory. The takeaway for me was the ground crew knowing.
I 'think' they knew they couldn't get a rescue mission up there fast enough. Don't know about the undamaged wing. Would like to think they would try anything possible.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3056 on: October 5, 2021, 10:13:04 pm »
William Shatner is going into space on Blue origin next week.

It will make him the oldest person in space at 90 years old..

Quite the story that

https://etcanada.com/news/825036/star-treks-captain-kirk-rocketing-into-space-next-week/
W

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3057 on: October 13, 2021, 02:20:24 pm »

Quite the story that

https://etcanada.com/news/825036/star-treks-captain-kirk-rocketing-into-space-next-week/

My favourite part is him telling us we have to stop wrecking the planet just before he is about to go on a rocket trip that produces over 300 tons of CO2 per launch.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3058 on: October 13, 2021, 03:10:20 pm »
I think it’s great to be honest
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3059 on: October 13, 2021, 05:08:14 pm »
W

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3060 on: October 13, 2021, 05:09:54 pm »
Done!

So people may find all this 4-5 minutes in space a bit of a gimmick.

Eventually, there will be orbits of the earth and then trips to the moon.

In the long run all this is extra technology to make us live on other planets.

May take a couple of hundred years like
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3061 on: October 13, 2021, 05:29:36 pm »

Quite the story that

No need for it at all, he lived there for years so they could at least have let someone who's never been before have a go

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: October 13, 2021, 05:52:34 pm »

Looks like I won't need to bother to diet before my flight.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3063 on: October 13, 2021, 09:16:00 pm »
Glad he made it back safely and had a magical experience. Who knows, in about 20 years we might all be able to afford to go there

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3064 on: October 22, 2021, 10:17:08 pm »
They’ve successfully (I assume) done a static fire test of the raptor vacs. 

Musk says it will be ready to launch next month…. Although the environmental clearance needed means that almost certainly won’t happen until next year.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3065 on: November 12, 2021, 06:23:08 pm »
SN20 6 raptor static fire just competed!

Looked good…
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3066 on: November 13, 2021, 05:26:30 pm »
SLS Artemis-1 not expected to launch before February 2022. Fuck me, that's at least five years behind schedule.  :butt

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3067 on: November 23, 2021, 02:07:18 am »
I'll just leave this in here. Sick of this shit...

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-59307862

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #3068 on: November 25, 2021, 03:11:57 pm »
JWT has been delayed by 4 days, hopefully there aren't any issues that may affect its launch or when it reaches space. This telescope is really going to be a game changer along with Vera Rubin Observatory.

Also saw a paper from Prof Rowan Robinson on Planet 9 and some IR anomalies that were detected on data taken by a probe/telescope in 1983. He's not convinced but its worth investigating.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3069 on: November 26, 2021, 07:15:40 pm »
JWT has been delayed by 4 days, hopefully there aren't any issues that may affect its launch or when it reaches space. This telescope is really going to be a game changer along with Vera Rubin Observatory.

Also saw a paper from Prof Rowan Robinson on Planet 9 and some IR anomalies that were detected on data taken by a probe/telescope in 1983. He's not convinced but its worth investigating.

They're probably worried about hitting Russian space debris.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3070 on: December 5, 2021, 03:13:49 pm »
Comet Leonard is low in the sky after sunset, visible at 4th magnitude. It's on its way to being ejected from the solar system, so this will be your only chance to see it.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3071 on: December 5, 2021, 08:42:18 pm »
Comet Leonard is low in the sky after sunset, visible at 4th magnitude. It's on its way to being ejected from the solar system, so this will be your only chance to see it.
https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/comet-c-2021-a1-leonard/

The best prospects of seeing Comet Leonard from the UK will be during the mornings of 1–13 December.

Its morning track is shown at the top of of this section, while just above we’ve shown how the comet moves relative to Venus in the evening sky.

Unless the comet brightens more than expected, the evening appearance will probably go unnoticed from the UK due to low altitude.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3073 on: December 6, 2021, 10:58:38 pm »
Just saw the article about the chinese rober finding a cube shaped object on the horizon of the moon.

Who wants to start the conspiracy theory bingo?

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3074 on: December 7, 2021, 09:16:19 am »
Just saw the article about the chinese rober finding a cube shaped object on the horizon of the moon.

Who wants to start the conspiracy theory bingo?

Looks fantastic.........will be a rock :/

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3075 on: December 17, 2021, 03:08:55 pm »
Starship set for orbital flight in January/February.

They are planning for 3+ manned flights on 2021!!!
W

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #3076 on: December 17, 2021, 03:43:51 pm »
Starship set for orbital flight in January/February.

They are planning for 3+ manned flights on 2021!!!

"We built this City" was great. Glad they're finally going to make it into space
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: December 17, 2021, 06:09:54 pm »

Nice drill bit
W

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3078 on: December 22, 2021, 08:45:15 pm »
According to Scott Manley, they're going to open up a 50 year old Apollo moon sample that was deliberately kept sealed in anticipation of new technology further down the line being able to do better science with the samples.

It's a 70cm deep core sample taken by Gene Cerman from Apollo 17. Should be intriguing! :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3079 on: December 22, 2021, 10:07:55 pm »
According to Scott Manley, they're going to open up a 50 year old Apollo moon sample that was deliberately kept sealed in anticipation of new technology further down the line being able to do better science with the samples.

It's a 70cm deep core sample taken by Gene Cerman from Apollo 17. Should be intriguing! :)
They are going to start opening up more of the Apollo samples in view of the forthcoming lunar missions, which would collect more. We still have 2/3 of the 680 lbs from that era untouched.