Poll

Southampton where can they end up? (But mostly Lallana.)

Top 4
31 (3.6%)
Top 6
123 (14.3%)
Top 8
371 (43.2%)
Midtable
264 (30.7%)
Relegation
70 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 858

Author Topic: Southampton FC general discussion thread  (Read 283302 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Southampton where can they end up ?
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 10:06:38 am »
They're enjoying their purple patch. As decent as they've been, there's absolutely no way they'll extend this run of form over the Christmas period, they're going to start losing soon. Hope they win at the Mancs though, and defensively they've been spot on. They're just not as good as the media is hyping them to be. They're this seasons 'Swansea,' a side hyped up because of some decent results against bigger teams.

There's a good chance they come out of their next eight games with 7-10 points.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 10:24:14 am »
How long as the manager been here now? 20 months? You'd think he'd make the effort to learn English! That's has to be annoying for their fans. It'd annoy me.

Anyway I reckon they'll finish 7th and have a good cup run. Quarters in the FA Cup maybe semis.

This came across a bit too much EDL/Daily Mail than was meant!

I just think if I was a Southampton fan and every interview was in Spanish I'd be a bit annoyed.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 10:32:47 am »
They're enjoying their purple patch. As decent as they've been, there's absolutely no way they'll extend this run of form over the Christmas period, they're going to start losing soon. Hope they win at the Mancs though, and defensively they've been spot on. They're just not as good as the media is hyping them to be. They're this seasons 'Swansea,' a side hyped up because of some decent results against bigger teams.

There's a good chance they come out of their next eight games with 7-10 points.
I think people are saying that about us

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 10:41:16 am »
They are title winning good like Tottenham  ;)
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Kop10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 10:44:03 am »
On the pitch, the difference between Southampton and Liverpool are Suarez and Sturridge.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too. One year we came second." - Bob Paisley

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 10:49:15 am »
Would like to see them pushing for Europe.  Great balance in their side and hopefully they can improve.

Decent stadium, decent enough fans - I don't have a reason for them not to do well.

Oh yeah I do, the fuckers ruined my first time watching Liverpool.  Travelled down to The Dell in a fucking blizzard, only to see Le Tissier score a hattrick and do us 4-2.  Don't think it was one of Brucie's best games (not sure if one of his dodgy games) but from memories he didn't save a thing.

My memories of that are snow, Brucie, that gold kit and Le Tissier.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 10:53:01 am »

Oh yeah I do, the fuckers ruined my first time watching Liverpool.  Travelled down to The Dell in a fucking blizzard, only to see Le Tissier score a hattrick and do us 4-2.  Don't think it was one of Brucie's best games (not sure if one of his dodgy games) but from memories he didn't save a thing.

My memories of that are snow, Brucie, that gold kit and Le Tissier.

That was dreadful, think it was a Monday night game? We were 4-0 down before a late fightback brought some 'respectability' to the scoreline.

Offline Macedonian Red Reborn

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 11:08:13 am »
I just think if I was a Southampton fan and every interview was in Spanish I'd be a bit annoyed.

Why? If his team is playing well, who cares about the language of his interviews?
"If I wanted you to understand, I'd have explained it better" Johan Cruyff

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 12:16:38 pm »
Why? If his team is playing well, who cares about the language of his interviews?

Because I'd like to know the managers views on incidents in games, the progress of players, where he feels he could improve the team, what part of the team he feels needs strengthening. That's why.
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 12:20:06 pm »
Because I'd like to know the managers views on incidents in games, the progress of players, where he feels he could improve the team, what part of the team he feels needs strengthening. That's why.

Why? Are you planing to buy the club?

Offline Rojo O Muerto

• Legacy Fan
  • LGTBQIA2S+
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2013, 12:24:41 pm »
Macedonian Red is painfully Xenophobic. He talks about others being it, yet he is the worst offender.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 12:30:26 pm by Rojo O Muerto »
If you can't support us when we're shartin', don't support us when we're fartin'

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2013, 12:33:33 pm »
Macedonian Red is painfully Xenophobic. He talks about others being it, yet he is the worst offender.

Mate, I have survived 4 wars, and have seen my own country disintegrate because of nationalists and xenophobes.

I am many things, but I am certainly not a xenophobe.

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2013, 12:58:45 pm »
Top 8 is realistic. I think that the Manc clubs, ourselvse, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs will all finish above them. Beyond that, I can't see many better teams in the PL.

Everton  have had a decent start and I suspect will do well enough. I think Villa could have a good year too. Beyond that, no-one is really standing out.

I said this in the Southmapton pre-match thread but was ignored/called overly negative. Southmapton have a good side and a good manager. A combination of talented home-grown players and some strong signings has given them a nice balance. They play good football and are a cut above most Premiership clubs.

Schneiderlin, Lovren, Ramirez (though off form), Wanyama, Osvaldo, Lallana and Shaw are all quality players, and distributed neatly around the first team.  Davis, Clyne, Lambert, Rodriguez, Ward-Prowse and Cork are all good players to play around them. Perhaps not the best squad depth, but they're a good side.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 01:16:49 pm »
I think people are saying that about us
We never get as much hype or media goodwill as the southern clubs, regardless of how well we're playing. I also think we've endured our first shaky patch of the season and come through it. Sure there will be others, but I don't predict a collapse of any kind; the kind that will turn The Saints from top 4 to top 10, and will definitely occur.

Schneiderlin is a player who has turned a few heads and we should be looking at. As I said earlier in the thread, the run through to Christmas will likely kill off the hype, as they've got an ugly succession of fixtures.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2013, 02:31:08 pm »
Why? Are you planing to buy the club?

Bellend you mate.
JFT96 - YNWA

• Self-professed wool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2013, 07:45:55 pm »
Bellend you mate.

Bellends are people who are not satisfied with their team playing well, and who are always looking for something else to moan about, like the language of their manager's press conferences.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 07:31:43 am »
Have to agree with Cochise to be honest. Rafa spoke English when he came to our cloob :)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline mickl

• many mickls makes a muckl
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 02:47:44 pm »
The word inside Southampton is that the manager speaks perfect English. He just doesn't want the Gutter Press twisting his words. Nice move.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2013, 02:49:10 pm »
8th at best.

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2013, 03:07:27 pm »
The word inside Southampton is that the manager speaks perfect English. He just doesn't want the Gutter Press twisting his words. Nice move.

Surely they can twist his translators words just as eaisly as they can twist his own?

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:21 pm »
Surely they can twist his translators words just as eaisly as they can twist his own?

And then he blames a "miscommunication". Look at the media reaction to the Priest on a Mountain of Sugar comment Rafa made LOL E'S CRAHCKIN UP INNE?
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »
Fook me every year some shitey club has a good start.

They are always shite and still are.  If they avoid injuries they will avoid a relegation scrap.
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2013, 05:56:06 pm »
The word inside Southampton is that the manager speaks perfect English.
nah

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2013, 08:16:09 pm »
nah

Balague said the same thing, not perfect English but he can speak English.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline lfcmason

• Kopite
  • Liverpool are champions of Europe again.
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2013, 12:42:22 am »
Excellent team, should be finishing in the top 10 this season.

What is impressing me is how quickly Pochettino has got their back 4 in order. Remember all the good play under Adkins let down by someone falling over in the defence and letting in the opposition to score? Well Sunday was their 4th clean sheet in a row and they always have a goal in them.

Pretty much the same back 4 that started last season bar the Croat and a refocused Boruc in goal.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2013, 12:47:43 am »
This came across a bit too much EDL/Daily Mail than was meant!

honestly i wouldn't care as it certainly seems the players aren't suffering from it. i'd bet their start to the season means you'd find it difficult to find one annoyed in the slightest.

though if they have a bad patch i'm sure it will be one of the first things mentioned

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2013, 01:16:28 am »
Ninth or eighth. Not going to lie, I chuckled a bit at "dark horse for top 4"  :P
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline indlfc

• Moany whiner.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool will always be my home.
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2013, 02:20:28 am »
Ninth or eighth. Not going to lie, I chuckled a bit at "dark horse for top 4"  :P
There is already a dark horse for top 4, that is us.
Two dark horses for top 4?  ???
There is only one family, it is the Liverpool family.

Offline Milkay Gundog

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »
Dejan Lovren is boss a rock again today, Southampton are playing amazingly well at the moment can they keep this up.

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2013, 06:13:00 pm »
Top 10 is a real possibility and I'm sure they would be happy with that this season. Anything else is a bonus.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »
Top 10 is a real possibility and I'm sure they would be happy with that this season. Anything else is a bonus.
Not sure, they have spent quite a bit. May be they are in fact saying "top 10 is the minimum target".

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2013, 09:12:00 pm »
It would be super cool if us and Southampton both finish the PL in Top 4.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2013, 10:59:42 pm »
They'll finish 7th or 8th this year.

Their midfield really is very good and Lovren is a fucking beast, absolute quality signing. If they hold onto those defenders and midfielders, they'll have a very good side 3 years from now considering they have money and have spent it fairly well (although their 2 biggest signings Osvaldo and Ramirez haven't done much). Their manager is mighty impressive.

Win at Anfield and a draw away to old trafford and arguably the better side in both games. They're very impressive indeed.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #73 on: November 1, 2013, 02:54:17 pm »
Currently on 18 points - Next 3 fixtures:

Stoke A
Hull H
Arsenal A

Given the fact that all the teams in the top 8 play each other at least once in the next 3 matches (except for Chelsea),
they very much could still be riding high going into the Christmas period.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: November 1, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »
It seems to have escaped the media's notice that they spent around £35m net this summer, on three players. If we'd have done that, any success we'd have would be caveated with that fact. I'm not begrudging them spending, you have to spend to succeed in this league. Just pointing out that in terms of squad strengthening, they've really pumped a large figure into their side. Is it a number they can afford to replicate every season? Doubtful.

Offline Pinky_Bieber

• shit fan whose IQ is unlikely to be exceeding 59
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: November 1, 2013, 07:23:29 pm »
i dont think they're any better than Everton this season
YNWA

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: November 2, 2013, 05:04:33 pm »
i dont think they're any better than Everton this season
Yes, them, Everton and Swansea are similar level for me. May be Everton are even slightly better that the other 2.

Lost points today.

Offline peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: November 2, 2013, 05:24:43 pm »
They look good. I expect them, Everton and us to finish in the 6th, 7th and 8th spots but no idea what order. Will probably be decided by very little.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Online coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #78 on: November 2, 2013, 05:47:21 pm »
Probably their first disappointing result of the season; given their recent successes I'd have thought they would have been buoyant going into the game against Stoke, but fair play Hughes has got Stoke playing ok.

Stoke are still fucking gash. The one goal they get today is a jammy wind-aided fluke in the 1st minute. Absolutely nothing of quality after that.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: November 7, 2013, 12:29:26 pm »
Adam Lallana and Jay Rodriguez get England callups. Lallana especially, deserves it on form.